Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...240241242243244245246247248249250...LastNext
Current Page: 245 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 18, 2019 02:19

TheflyingDutchman

!963.Dressed Up Copy Cats. They never really grew up, that's the good news.

That's not self parody though. grinning smiley

Date: June 18, 2019 02:26

Doxa

My point: just trying to explicate why I see that Charlie's right when saying that Ronnie added nothing, even if song-writing is concerned. That of offering a couple of second-rate songs (by the Stones scale) means nothing. Ronnie's greatness and significance lies in somewhere else and I think it is hopeless even try to explain his contribution to evolution of their music by the manner of the contribution of Brian and Taylor (I am sure Ronnie himself would be the first to admit that). By the time Ronnie came along, they were too old and established to really learning new tricks or being musically challenged by some new voice.

- Doxa

Ronnie added a degree of the character of the Faces, but unfortunately wasn't allowed to add so much of the best musical aspects from it.

Pissed up party time with all the fun and mishaps that comes with it.

After the intensity of the previous years, understandable that they might not have wanted to stay in that atmosphere any more.

Date: June 18, 2019 02:29

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

!963.Dressed Up Copy Cats. They never really grew up, that's the good news.

That's not self parody though. grinning smiley

Matter of interpretation...something to think about.

Date: June 18, 2019 02:44

TheflyingDutchman

It's not. It's just you trying to put something that was said about them from around 1973 on to 1963. grinning smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 18, 2019 03:16

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 06:41 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2019 09:00

If one is allowed to speculate...: What I think would have ignited som life in the latter days RS would have been new blood in the guitar section
(imagine Ron would have put all his effort in arts instead) like Waddy Wachtel or Jimmy Rip. Would have a) inspired Keith (and Mick) and b) covered for his lacking abilities.
A rock and roll bassist. Everything but Darryl. A percussionist complementing Charlie. One good saxophone player (like Earnie Watts) instead of a boring horn section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 10:37 by Stoneage.

Date: June 18, 2019 10:35

TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman
There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.

it is my undisputed duty to right a wrongcool smiley

smileys with beer

Thank You, HMS, Thank You!.

Here is RW attempting to replicate MT's solo on Gimme Shelter 1975.

[www.youtube.com]

Not bad but it's a far cry from the fluid left hand hammer-ons and pull-offs and emotive string bending and vibrato Mick Taylor exhibited when he played Gimme Shelter live in 1972/3. And mind you, this is when Ronnie was at his peak, musically. His technical skills have deteriorated exponentially since the 70's. His guitar tone is weak here too.

Not even once does he try to replicate anything Taylor did here. Funnygrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 10:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 18, 2019 13:35

His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

It's not. It's just you trying to put something that was said about them from around 1973 on to 1963. grinning smiley

No. In '63, or even '62 they definitely knew who or what inspired them, and then they very well understood how to sell it, pr-wise.The music was good, the looks, long hair, provocations,.. smart guys. That actually never changed until say 1981.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 18, 2019 15:11

DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman
There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Not bad but it's a far cry from the fluid left hand hammer-ons and pull-offs and emotive string bending and vibrato Mick Taylor exhibited when he played Gimme Shelter live in 1972/3. And mind you, this is when Ronnie was at his peak, musically. His technical skills have deteriorated exponentially since the 70's. His guitar tone is weak here too.

Not even once does he try to replicate anything Taylor did here. Funnygrinning smiley

I've always felt that Ronnie approaches MT's legacy with just the right degree of respect.

He often reproduces the most inspired & memorable sections of MT's solos, where they are an important part of the song, and recognising the unique brilliance that conceived them.

Other times Ronnie does his own thing.

My only frustration is in wishing that we got a bit more of the type of playing he did with the Faces .

I suspect it's the "folk"ier side of it that isn't perceived to fit.

Date: June 18, 2019 15:57

DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

The resemblance is striking, the tone, copied licks and all, pure Taylor imitation, but a failed attempt, in the end. But at least Ronnie did try to play well at the time. I even liked Ronnies playing on Love You Live. By the time Some Girls was done they obviously had given that up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 16:09 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 18, 2019 16:20

Stoneage
If one is allowed to speculate...: What I think would have ignited som life in the latter days RS would have been new blood in the guitar section
(imagine Ron would have put all his effort in arts instead) like Waddy Wachtel or Jimmy Rip. Would have a) inspired Keith (and Mick) and b) covered for his lacking abilities.
A rock and roll bassist. Everything but Darryl. A percussionist complementing Charlie. One good saxophone player (like Earnie Watts) instead of a boring horn section.

Keep Waddle away from the band. He is soooo bog standard.

Replace Keith with Taylor and ditch the whole stadium/warhorses thing. hot smiley

Taylor and Wood played well together st 100 club.

An alt stones could be interesting. Mick Jagger joining Mick Taylor, Dick Taylor and Ronnie Wood. Bill would be game.

Keith and Charlie can stay home to exchange shitty messages about Brian via carrier pigeon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 16:24 by His Majesty.

Date: June 18, 2019 16:22

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

The resemblance is striking, the tone, copied licks and all, pure Taylor imitation, but a failed attempt, in the end. But at least Ronnie did try to play well at the time. I even liked Ronnies playing on Love You Live. By the time Some Girls was done they obviously had given that up.

Taylor always enters his solos with themes/motifs/planned long phrasings. GS is a good example of that approach. Often, he uses 3 or 4 of those "pegs". Very rarely, he gets lost - but if he does we get some interesting stuff that differs from the solos we have heard before. He's very good at that.

Ronnie, on the other hand, has a totally different approach. His phrasings are usually very short, and he starts over again - usually with a wing it-approach. The music is made on the spot. This was especially typical for him in 75-82.

What we hear on this and other renditions of GS bears no resemblance to Taylor's phrasings, sound, approach or licks whatsoever. Two completely different styles.

There are songs, however, where he kept some of Taylor's licks as a homage to their importance to the songs. All Down The Line and his bass playing on Fingerprint File are two examples.

I think you are mixing the effect of Ronnie's heavier guitar sound and his lead guitar role with his actual playing on GS here. They are somewhat similar, though.

Date: June 18, 2019 16:37

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Taylor always enters his solos with themes/motifs/planned long phrasings. GS is a good example of that approach. Often, he uses 3 or 4 of those "pegs". Very rarely, he gets lost - but if he does we get some interesting stuff that differs from the solos we have heard before. He's very good at that.

Ronnie, on the other hand, has a totally different approach. His phrasings are usually very short, and he starts over again - usually with a wing it-approach. The music is made on the spot. This was especially typical for him in 75-82.

What we hear on this and other renditions of GS bears no resemblance to Taylor's phrasings, sound, approach or licks whatsoever. Two completely different styles.

There are songs, however, where he kept some of Taylor's licks as a homage to their importance to the songs. All Down The Line and his bass playing on Fingerprint File are two examples.

I think you are mixing the effect of Ronnie's heavier guitar sound and his lead guitar role with his actual playing on GS here. They are somewhat similar, though.

I think that we both are arguing the same thing here, really.

Date: June 18, 2019 16:42

After studying Taylor's playing closely for 35 years I can't agree with this, though. It's just... wrong.

<The resemblance is striking, the tone, copied licks and all, pure Taylor imitation>

Date: June 18, 2019 16:57

DandelionPowderman
After studying Taylor's playing closely for 35 years I can't agree with this, though. It's just... wrong.

I too, have been studying Taylor's and Ronnies playing for close to four decades. It seems we sort of hear the same things but draw opposite conclusions from them. You should have quoted me properly, I also said he failed at the attempt. Because, indeed, no themes/motives/planned long phrasings with Ronnie. If you compare GS played from '95 on you should find that Ronnie sounds nothing like Taylor, whereas I, and others on this forum, detect a similarity on the '75 recording presented here, which means that at that time apparently Ronnie did sometimes try to emulate Taylorlike solos, which is not that weird because Ronnie was after all Taylors replacement/fill in guy. This was before Keith decided to 'go back' to the weaving concept and get rid of the lead/rhythm division between players.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 17:01 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 18, 2019 17:35

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman

I too, have been studying Taylor's and Ronnies playing for close to four decades. It seems we sort of hear the same things but draw opposite conclusions from them. You should have quoted me properly, I also said he failed at the attempt. Because, indeed, no themes/motives/planned long phrasings with Ronnie. If you compare GS played from '95 on you should find that Ronnie sounds nothing like Taylor, whereas I, and others on this forum, detect a similarity on the '75 recording presented here, which means that at that time apparently Ronnie did sometimes try to emulate Taylorlike solos, which is not that weird because Ronnie was after all Taylors replacement/fill in guy. This was before Keith decided to 'go back' to the weaving concept and get rid of the lead/rhythm division between players.

We only disagree about the copying-part. I already said that the effect of his playing was somewhat similar in 75/76. There is a huge difference, though, namely within the very playing. I can't fathom that you hear similar licks, copying or any resemblance playing-wise on GS. Ronnie's solos were different every night, whereas Taylor had his framework with recognisable licks and phrasings. Ronnie didn't include any of those, unlike with ADTL, as mentioned earlier.

We'll just gonna have to agree to disagree if you don't hear this.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 18, 2019 17:44

SomeGuy
If you compare GS played from '95 on you should find that Ronnie sounds nothing like Taylor, whereas I, and others on this forum, detect a similarity on the '75 recording presented here, which means that at that time apparently Ronnie did sometimes try to emulate Taylorlike solos, which is not that weird because Ronnie was after all Taylors replacement/fill in guy. This was before Keith decided to 'go back' to the weaving concept and get rid of the lead/rhythm division between players.

It is true that the arrangements of the guitar parts of the 75/76 tour were quite similar to those of the previous 72/73 tours, i.e. a rather distinct separation between lead and rythm, but it is extremely unlikely that it had much to do with Ronnie copying Taylor.

First Ronnie had just joined the band, so to start with it was easier for him to improvise solos, rather than developing new arrangements as was done during the Some Girls sessions.

Second, Ronnie might have seen the stones live in 72/73 (I never read that he did) but unless he was a Stones boot collector he had no material to study Taylor live in those years.

Third, Ronnie's solos in 75/76 with the Stones are the same style, licks etc of what he did earlier with the Faces.

C

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 18, 2019 17:46

Great lead work by Ronnie there but sounds different from MT IMHO.

Date: June 18, 2019 17:55

wokay

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2019 17:57

Based on their quotes about Ronnie, I bet Charlie and Mick were disappointed in the quality and sound during the 75/76 tour compared to previous tours.
Then when it came time to work on Some Girls, it might have been a case of 'too late now, we're kind of stuck with him'.
Wonder if Mick ever thought about sacking him around that time while Keith was in the thick of his personal problems...

Date: June 18, 2019 18:32

They were so disappointed that they rushed to make their first double live album...

Date: June 18, 2019 18:40

They probably wanted to milk it for all it was worth, but the results of that album leave a bit to be desired in many ways.

Date: June 18, 2019 18:47

In your opinion, that is. I have heard very few complaints about the El Mocambo-side and the best of the other tracks.

Could have been a killer single live alb7m, though.

Milk it? They could have done the same after 1971, 1972 and 1973 as well. But it wasn't before 1977 they made a deal with ABKCO, paid up and released a live album, so I guess they were pretty happy with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 18:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:53

The Stones are blessed with Ron Wood. He refreshed their sound considerably, with MT it all got bloated, not Stones-like anymore to the ears of yours truly. Some Girls although no fav of mine compared to lame GHS/IORR is like opening the windows and letting in some clear clean fresh winter air. And thathighly welcomed and desperately needed element of refreshment continues until today. Ron Wood was never a "replacement" for Taylor, he is a completely new figure in the game, at long last he brought the Stones back on the right track.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 18, 2019 18:57

Hairball
Based on their quotes about Ronnie, I bet Charlie and Mick were disappointed in the quality and sound during the 75/76 tour compared to previous tours.
Then when it came time to work on Some Girls, it might have been a case of 'too late now, we're kind of stuck with him'.
Wonder if Mick ever thought about sacking him around that time while Keith was in the thick of his personal problems...

I think it's obvious back in the day that Keith would never have allowed Mick to sack Ronnie, but did Mick ever want to sack Ronnie ?? well there is plenty of footage that Mick was getting fed up with Ronnie in 81' 82' as as we all found out a few years later when Mick refused to tour behind Undercover and Dirty Work that Mick wanted to sack the whole band, he's down to saying they couldn't hardly walk across the road let alone tour. Charlie included.

Date: June 18, 2019 19:21

DandelionPowderman
In your opinion, that is. I have heard very few complaints about the El Mocambo-side and the best of the other tracks.

Milk it? They could have done the same after 1971, 1972 and 1973 as well. But it wasn't before 1977 they made a deal with ABKCO, paid up and released a live album, so I guess they were pretty happy with it.

Yes would have been better as a single album, and would have been extra special if it was the El Macombo show alone.
I actually enjoyed the entire album at the time of it's release (I was only 14 and didn't know better), but became less appreciative as the years went on - knowing about all the overdubs seemed to taint it.
Still occasionally listen to all the covers on the El Mocambo side though.

As for milking it, many bands were releasing live albums around that time - off the top of my head Zeppelin, Frampton , Skynyrd, Foghat, etc. - it seemed to be a trend.
Not sure that the Stones really "rushed to make their first double album" as you said as some of those tracks were already two years old.

Date: June 18, 2019 20:09

Actually they wanted to release a live album in '72 already but Decca owned many of the songs so they couldn't do it. Keith stated that due to technical difficulties it wasn't possible to make good live recordings until the time that they did, in '75/'76. Love You Live sold relatively poorly and the critics weren't impressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 20:10 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 18, 2019 20:12

SomeGuy
Actually they wanted to release a live album in '72 already but Decca owned many of the songs so they couldn't do it. Keith stated that due to technical difficulties it wasn't possible to make good live recordings until the time that they did, in '75/'76. Love You Live sold relatively poorly and the critics weren't impressed.

The same songs were on LYL.

We know now that Keith was wrong. The Brussels Affair proves that.

Date: June 18, 2019 20:16

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Yes would have been better as a single album, and would have been extra special if it was the El Macombo show alone.
I actually enjoyed the entire album at the time of it's release (I was only 14 and didn't know better), but became less appreciative as the years went on - knowing about all the overdubs seemed to taint it.
Still occasionally listen to all the covers on the El Mocambo side though.

As for milking it, many bands were releasing live albums around that time - off the top of my head Zeppelin, Frampton , Skynyrd, Foghat, etc. - it seemed to be a trend.
Not sure that the Stones really "rushed to make their first double album" as you said as some of those tracks were already two years old.

But the El Mocambo-side was from 1977, and most of the tracks were from 1976.

14 years old? I guess you grew wise and mature, unlike me smiling smiley

Date: June 18, 2019 20:24

There's many things I used to like when I was young and naive that I cringe at now, as I'm sure is the case with most people.
Wouldn't say it's growing wiser or more mature, but with learned knowledge and in hindsight you tend to see and hear things differently.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...240241242243244245246247248249250...LastNext
Current Page: 245 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home