Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: June 18, 2019 20:30

Hairball
There's many things I used to like when I was young and naive that I cringe at now, as I'm sure is the case with most people.
Wouldn't say it's growing wiser or more mature, but with learned knowledge and in hindsight you tend to see and hear things differently.

Well, you're still on a forum discussing a wonky garage band that always have sounded like it could fall apart any second. I guess we're in the same boat, within a musical context smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 18, 2019 20:33

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
Actually they wanted to release a live album in '72 already but Decca owned many of the songs so they couldn't do it. Keith stated that due to technical difficulties it wasn't possible to make good live recordings until the time that they did, in '75/'76. Love You Live sold relatively poorly and the critics weren't impressed.

The same songs were on LYL.

We know now that Keith was wrong. The Brussels Affair proves that.

Agreed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2019 20:41

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
There's many things I used to like when I was young and naive that I cringe at now, as I'm sure is the case with most people.
Wouldn't say it's growing wiser or more mature, but with learned knowledge and in hindsight you tend to see and hear things differently.

Well, you're still on a forum discussing a wonky garage band that always have sounded like it could fall apart any second. I guess we're in the same boat, within a musical context smiling smiley

Yes, and within the very long time frame of this particular band there's been many different aspects - some of it better than others, some of it that stands the test of time, and some of it not.
There's really plenty to enjoy from all eras, with some eras being more enjoyable than others depending on one's personal tastes.

edit: *Even the band members themselves have personal opinions of various aspects of the band's lengthy history as those Mick and Charlie quotes reveal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 20:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 18, 2019 20:50

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
Actually they wanted to release a live album in '72 already but Decca owned many of the songs so they couldn't do it. Keith stated that due to technical difficulties it wasn't possible to make good live recordings until the time that they did, in '75/'76. Love You Live sold relatively poorly and the critics weren't impressed.

We know now that Keith was wrong. The Brussels Affair proves that.

Agreed.

I think GYYYO sounds great too, overdubs and all. Same with "Live At Leeds" and "The Song Remains The Same"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 18, 2019 21:06

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

There was some odd contract with ABKCO that allowed Klein clan to veto the release of ABKCO era songs for some (six or so) years. And they used it, which killed 1972 live album. It had aspired by the time LOVE YOU LIVE was released.

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 18, 2019 21:13

That was a bummer. No live music released between 1969 and 1977. When the band was cooking. @#$%& Allen Klein...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 18, 2019 21:34

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman
There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.

it is my undisputed duty to right a wrongcool smiley

smileys with beer

Thank You, HMS, Thank You!.

Here is RW attempting to replicate MT's solo on Gimme Shelter 1975.

[www.youtube.com]

Not bad but it's a far cry from the fluid left hand hammer-ons and pull-offs and emotive string bending and vibrato Mick Taylor exhibited when he played Gimme Shelter live in 1972/3. And mind you, this is when Ronnie was at his peak, musically. His technical skills have deteriorated exponentially since the 70's. His guitar tone is weak here too.

Not even once does he try to replicate anything Taylor did here. Funnygrinning smiley

The resemblance is striking, the tone, copied licks and all, pure Taylor imitation, but a failed attempt, in the end. But at least Ronnie did try to play well at the time. I even liked Ronnies playing on Love You Live. By the time Some Girls was done they obviously had given that up.

It's the same exact backing track from the two prior tours and Wood definitely approaches it the same way. There are many rhythmic similarities to Taylor in the beginning of Wood's solo, although the notes are different because Wood does not have the musical vocabulary as Taylor. After a similar start, Wood seems to run out of ideas, and goes into a very sloppy Santana staccato thing. It's not very interesting once you've heard this song with Taylor, Hopkins, Bobby Keys etc. I wish they would have slowed down the song and given the lead back to Richards at this point.

I remember A/B'ing Gimme Shelter '72 vs. '75 (or later) in high school with my dad's bootlegs and coming to the same conclusion.

Date: June 18, 2019 21:34

Stoneage
That was a bummer. No live music released between 1969 and 1977. When the band was cooking. @#$%& Allen Klein...

Now it's released, though. But are people buying it (Leeds, Roundhouse, L&G and Brussels)?

Date: June 18, 2019 21:42

TravelinMan
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman
There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Not bad but it's a far cry from the fluid left hand hammer-ons and pull-offs and emotive string bending and vibrato Mick Taylor exhibited when he played Gimme Shelter live in 1972/3. And mind you, this is when Ronnie was at his peak, musically. His technical skills have deteriorated exponentially since the 70's. His guitar tone is weak here too.

Not even once does he try to replicate anything Taylor did here. Funnygrinning smiley

The resemblance is striking, the tone, copied licks and all, pure Taylor imitation, but a failed attempt, in the end. But at least Ronnie did try to play well at the time. I even liked Ronnies playing on Love You Live. By the time Some Girls was done they obviously had given that up.

It's the same exact backing track from the two prior tours and Wood definitely approaches it the same way. There are many rhythmic similarities to Taylor in the beginning of Wood's solo, although the notes are different because Wood does not have the musical vocabulary as Taylor. After a similar start, Wood seems to run out of ideas, and goes into a very sloppy Santana staccato thing. It's not very interesting once you've heard this song with Taylor, Hopkins, Bobby Keys etc. I wish they would have slowed down the song and given the lead back to Richards at this point.

I remember A/B'ing Gimme Shelter '72 vs. '75 (or later) in high school with my dad's bootlegs and coming to the same conclusion.

You better study it again, more closely this time. Start with Taylor, and how he sets up his solos. Then listen to Wood, and you'll find that he starts them differently every time.

For the homage-stuff Wood has more than the vocabulary to sneak in some of Taylor's licks, like on ADTL.

I suspect there are feelings involved here, and that many fans of Taylor can't stand the role Ronnie took on on the 75-tour, with the big distorted sound and all - more than that of his actual playing was any copying of Taylor.

Date: June 18, 2019 21:51

Stoneage

Indeed. That would have been a helluva musical statement at the time, a double album with Stevie Wonder, 'the Great Lost Live Album', as it has been called. A great addition to GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! to show the band at their prime. I guess Mick Taylor's star would have been shining even more brighter then (and today) had it been released. Gladly LADIES AND GENTS saved a lot.

They were very serious about the live album, having done over-dubs, cover, etc. So it was a major disppointment for not being able to put it out.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 21:58 by Doxa.

Date: June 18, 2019 21:52

Back to Mick Taylor, since this is his thread after all.

[www.youtube.com]

I can't believe I haven't heard this before! It's really cool to hear Taylor play on a lot of these popular songs.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 18, 2019 21:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 22:00 by SomeGuy.

Date: June 18, 2019 22:10

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

You better study it again, more closely this time. Start with Taylor, and how he sets up his solos. Then listen to Wood, and you'll find that he starts them differently every time.

For the homage-stuff Wood has more than the vocabulary to sneak in some of Taylor's licks, like on ADTL.

I suspect there are feelings involved here, and that many fans of Taylor can't stand the role Ronnie took on on the 75-tour, with the big distorted sound and all - more than that of his actual playing was any copying of Taylor.

I don't need to study it again. I know what I heard. I listened to the version posted and Wood came in a similar fashion, but with less precision and less of a melodic vocabulary. It's like he heard Taylor's approach from tour tapes and was sort of interpreting it in his own way without learning the notes, which by the way is TOTALLY FINE. What I don't like is he really doesn't go anywhere, and ends up just sort of sloppily flamenco picking notes. His tone is thinner and more trebly than Taylor's as well, which I am not a fan of.

As far as personal feelings, I mean, I wasn't even born until the 1980's. The only Stones I have known are the Stones with Ron Wood. On paper, I probably should be a diehard Bridges Of Babylon fan, haha! I had cassettes as a kid, but once I heard the live bootleg CD's I became a mega fan.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 18, 2019 22:17

TravelinMan

[www.youtube.com]

I can't believe I haven't heard this before! It's really cool to hear Taylor play on a lot of these popular songs.

Great find I did heard some of them but not all...thanks

Date: June 18, 2019 22:41

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

I don't need to study it again. I know what I heard. I listened to the version posted and Wood came in a similar fashion, but with less precision and less of a melodic vocabulary. It's like he heard Taylor's approach from tour tapes and was sort of interpreting it in his own way without learning the notes, which by the way is TOTALLY FINE. What I don't like is he really doesn't go anywhere, and ends up just sort of sloppily flamenco picking notes. His tone is thinner and more trebly than Taylor's as well, which I am not a fan of.

As far as personal feelings, I mean, I wasn't even born until the 1980's. The only Stones I have known are the Stones with Ron Wood. On paper, I probably should be a diehard Bridges Of Babylon fan, haha! I had cassettes as a kid, but once I heard the live bootleg CD's I became a mega fan.

I don't think learning the notes to GS ever crossed his mind. That was one of my main points. Hence no copying. That's not really up for interpretation, as we have tons of examples to compare.

Apart from that it looks like we don't disagree so much, although the myth of Ronnie "aping Taylor" should be laid to rest once and for all. It's wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 22:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 18, 2019 22:42

No dis to Ronnie, they are just different players,
he and MT.

MT couldn't weave like Ronnie on B of Burden but he couldn't play the solo on SFM from Ya Yas like MT either.

Love 'em both!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2019 22:49

beachbreak
No dis to Ronnie, they are just different players,
he and MT.

MT couldn't weave like Ronnie on B of Burden but he couldn't play the solo on SFM from Ya Yas like MT either.

Love 'em both!

True, and as the band has evolved into an almost strictly live band, Ronnie has more than carried his weight.. drunk and sober, but especially sober. Definitely more the live entertainer than Taylor, but them again so was Wyman cool smiley

Date: June 18, 2019 23:39

liddas

Second, Ronnie might have seen the stones live in 72/73 (I never read that he did) but unless he was a Stones boot collector he had no material to study Taylor live in those years.

Being a big Stones fanboy he was/is, I wouldn't be surprised that he might have had those bootlegs. But in the case of no, the Stones themselves had acquired the habit of taping their shows to listen and to judge them afterwards. So I guess when Woodie was given the job and a possible set list, he was also given/shown tapes of their shows: 'boy, it goes like this'. I recall Ronnie also having said that he at the time listened a lot what Taylor did. I don't think he only meant studio stuff, because so much of the parts Taylor did, and what Wood was going to do also, wasn't even there in original studio recordings (like the discussed "Gimme Shelter" or "You Can't Always Get What You Want"). In many cases, Taylor had created/written a whole new guitar part or arrangement for the songs. The 'road versions' of many songs had arrangements, which in 1975 didn't much change from 1973. So my point is that I am rather sure that Ronnie was rather awere what Taylor had done (and taking that as a blueprint, continuing from there and adding his own stance/interpretation to those 'Taylor parts'). Actually: in order to perform his task he needed to know the Taylorized 'road versions', since those were the versions the band was living and breathing at the time, the studio originals being just an old memory.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 23:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 19, 2019 11:54

Doxa
liddas

Second, Ronnie might have seen the stones live in 72/73 (I never read that he did) but unless he was a Stones boot collector he had no material to study Taylor live in those years.

Being a big Stones fanboy he was/is, I wouldn't be surprised that he might have had those bootlegs. But in the case of no, the Stones themselves had acquired the habit of taping their shows to listen and to judge them afterwards. So I guess when Woodie was given the job and a possible set list, he was also given/shown tapes of their shows: 'boy, it goes like this'. I recall Ronnie also having said that he at the time listened a lot what Taylor did. I don't think he only meant studio stuff, because so much of the parts Taylor did, and what Wood was going to do also, wasn't even there in original studio recordings (like the discussed "Gimme Shelter" or "You Can't Always Get What You Want"). In many cases, Taylor had created/written a whole new guitar part or arrangement for the songs. The 'road versions' of many songs had arrangements, which in 1975 didn't much change from 1973. So my point is that I am rather sure that Ronnie was rather awere what Taylor had done (and taking that as a blueprint, continuing from there and adding his own stance/interpretation to those 'Taylor parts'). Actually: in order to perform his task he needed to know the Taylorized 'road versions', since those were the versions the band was living and breathing at the time, the studio originals being just an old memory.

- Doxa

Could be that he heard some 73 recordings yet, as a matter of fact, in Ronnie's 75 solos I don't hear any of the parts that Taylor developed on stage during the 72-73 tours!

Just take Angie for example. Any guitarist who hears Taylor's live version wants to learn the - superb - intro of his first solo. Angie 75 is just a completely different beast. 100& Ronnie Wood.

Brown Sugar is another good example. Taylor's slide theme is completely absent in the 75 version, where, if anything Ronnie seems to stick more to the Bobby's original sax solo.

In Devil 75, save some quite standard blues licks, nothing that Ronnie plays even remotely compares to Taylor's official YA YA's solo.

By the way, extended melodic soloing was Ronnie's thing already with the Faces. Angel, Love in Vain, Rather Go Blind.

Once again what I hear in 75 is Wood adapting his Faces stuff to the Stones repertoire (You Can't Always Get is almost an extended version of I Wish it would rain).

If there is one song where this Stones/Faces combo reaches stellar levels, that's Wild Horses 75. Absolute perfection. One of the best live performances by the stones ever.

C

Date: June 19, 2019 13:47

Stoneage

It didn't kill the screenings of L&G or the 1971 Let It Rock- release. But, yes, sad indeed.

Date: June 19, 2019 14:47

liddas
Doxa
liddas

- Doxa

Could be that he heard some 73 recordings yet, as a matter of fact, in Ronnie's 75 solos I don't hear any of the parts that Taylor developed on stage during the 72-73 tours!

Just take Angie for example. Any guitarist who hears Taylor's live version wants to learn the - superb - intro of his first solo. Angie 75 is just a completely different beast. 100& Ronnie Wood.

Brown Sugar is another good example. Taylor's slide theme is completely absent in the 75 version, where, if anything Ronnie seems to stick more to the Bobby's original sax solo.

In Devil 75, save some quite standard blues licks, nothing that Ronnie plays even remotely compares to Taylor's official YA YA's solo.

By the way, extended melodic soloing was Ronnie's thing already with the Faces. Angel, Love in Vain, Rather Go Blind.

Once again what I hear in 75 is Wood adapting his Faces stuff to the Stones repertoire (You Can't Always Get is almost an extended version of I Wish it would rain).

If there is one song where this Stones/Faces combo reaches stellar levels, that's Wild Horses 75. Absolute perfection. One of the best live performances by the stones ever.

C

Too bad Richards fell asleep at the Marquee or we could have heard and watched a unique performance with him on a 12 string. Not sure how Taylor approached it, could have used an acoustic, a slide, or licks from that SG. I guess we’ll never know.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2019 15:08

liddas

C

Really? 75 versions are overdone tearjerkers... (imo) and Jagger's OTT singing doesn't help either. I prefer the more restrained 1995 versions.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 19, 2019 15:27

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

It didn't kill the screenings of L&G or the 1971 Let It Rock- release. But, yes, sad indeed.

Yep. And, since this is a Taylor thread, even more sad that Ya Ya's came to be Taylor's only official live recording with the Stones.
(Yes I know, they have released everything now with the vault fully open. But it took some 30 years plus to come up with that...)

Date: June 19, 2019 16:16

DandelionPowderman

Yep. And, since this is a Taylor thread, even more sad that Ya Ya's came to be Taylor's only official live recording with the Stones.
(Yes I know, they have released everything now with the vault fully open. But it took some 30 years plus to come up with that...)

Yes indeed!

Sad, and, I think, the main reason why Taylor is not generally recognized as one of the great rock guitarists of the 70s.

Had they released a live album from the 72/73 tour, I am sure that he would be a fixed presence in all the lists of best rock guitarists, along with the usual Pages, Claptons, Alvin Lees, etc

C

p.s. By the way, I like Taylor's playing better - more sophisticated and intricate - on Ya Ya's and Leeds rather than his playing on the 72/73 tours.

Date: June 19, 2019 16:21

dcba
liddas

C

Really? 75 versions are overdone tearjerkers... (imo) and Jagger's OTT singing doesn't help either. I prefer the more restrained 1995 versions.

Ok, so let's say that I LOVE overdone tearjerkers!!!

That ostinato lick w Phaser and max volume that Keith plays, Ronnie's screaming strat, and yes Jagger's vocal delivery too ... PERFECTION.

C

Date: June 19, 2019 21:51

liddas

Depends on which version. On the one I posted below Wood's melody lines of the first solo are clearly inspired by Taylor's Brussel's ones. Almost same pitch, rhythmic and melodic approach.That's no coincidence. Nothing wrong with that. A compliment actually.

Angie 1975.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 20, 2019 00:08

MT's time in the Stones is legendary. Nothing can change that. He left his imprint that can't be erased. Only armchair critics trying to convince others that their ears are lying to them.

The Stones touring today is a greatest hits oldies show. However they have many casual fans but not really interested in the music other then the spectacle of the show and to say they saw "the stones" and buying overpriced t shirts etc.

"I said yea yea yea woo!"

When MT guested with them in 2012-13 a glimpse of their former power was evident on the limited spots he was given. After a rather jaw dropping solo on Satisfaction in San Jose that KR offered him, he was given an acoustic guitar. I imagine that if MT were integrated into more songs the spotlight would have been on his playing or the limited capacity of the other guitar players.

I like RW and saw him in the Faces twice, however I think he was a better Face then a Stone. He wrote and played his own songs in his own guitar style. He was his own man.

A few detractors remind me of jealous ex lovers, completely obsessed and can never let it go. MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

Many of us will always recognize 1969 - 73 as brilliant. So did Mick. Charley, and Bill. I'll always take their word about the music they created!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 20, 2019 00:09

MT's time in the Stones is legendary. Nothing can change that. He left his imprint that can't be erased. Only armchair critics trying to convince others that their ears are lying to them.

The Stones touring today is a greatest hits oldies show. However they have many casual fans but not really interested in the music other then the spectacle of the show and to say they saw "the stones" and buying overpriced t shirts etc.

"I said yea yea yea woo!"

When MT guested with them in 2012-13 a glimpse of their former power was evident on the limited spots he was given. After a rather jaw dropping solo on Satisfaction in San Jose that KR offered him, he was given an acoustic guitar. I imagine that if MT were integrated into more songs the spotlight would have been on his playing or the limited capacity of the other guitar players.

I like RW and saw him in the Faces twice, however I think he was a better Face then a Stone. He wrote and played his own songs in his own guitar style. He was his own man.

A few detractors remind me of jealous ex lovers, completely obsessed and can never let it go. MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

Many of us will always recognize 1969 - 73 as brilliant. So did Mick. Charley, and Bill. I'll always take their word about the music they created! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 22, 2019 21:10

NICOS
TravelinMan

[www.youtube.com]

Great find I did heard some of them but not all...thanks

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. He goes into a really cool ALbert King thing on Born Under A Bad Sign. Also, hearing him play Honkey Tonk Women in an open tuning (with some slide) is badass!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 22, 2019 22:05

PhillyFAN
MT is gone. The band rolls on without him.

And the band imo rolls better without him, in hindsight MT became more and more a brake pad for the band, one can hear soome fine examples for that on GHS/IORR. Maybe yet another album with MT would have killed the band. He literally sucked the energy out of the band. The energy returned with Ronnie´s arrival.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...241242243244245246247248249250251...LastNext
Current Page: 246 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1307
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home