Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...238239240241242243244245246247248...LastNext
Current Page: 243 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: June 17, 2019 16:09

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
Mick Taylor played bass and electric guitar on them, respectively.

I vaguely remember that there was some court ruling that said they had to acknowledge the fact that Taylor wrote the songs (at least partially) at the time. Perhaps they bought him off later on? The way the label info is given doesn't suggest a typo, in my opinion.

I Just Wanna See His Face:

Probable line-up:

It's not the bible. but people doing a good effort. thumbs up

Drums: Charlie Watts 
Upright acoustic double bass: Bill Plummer 
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger 
Background vocals: Clydie King, Venetta Fields & Jesse Kirkland 
Electric piano: Keith Richards and Nicky Hopkins (Bobby Whitlock claims he played - my comment)
Maracas: Jimmy Miller
Tambourine: Jimmy Miller 

Let It Loose:

Elliott's book The Complete Recording Sessions and the Rolling Stones All The Songs both say Taylor added electric bass to I Just Wanna See His Face.

The original release of Metamorphosis credited Taylor on I'm Going Down. The credits were changed on later releases.

Taylor didn't write anything but confirmed himself that he played bass on Just wanne see his face. Both an electric Bass and acoustic upright Bass are clearly audible . The electric piano sounds like a Fender Rhodes to me.

Absolutely. I’ve noticed a lot of misinformation on that site.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:10

His Majesty
TravelinMan

The Stones will not continue without Richards or Jagger, maybe Watts. We’ll see who’s right!

That doesn't mean they aren't replaceable.

They have all been replaced in studio at differing times for example... Mick is replaced when Keith does his solo slot. Keith is the singer of the band at that point.

They may say lovely words, but were Charlie to have left earlier like Bill, they would have continued. The cash is just too good to turn down.

Clearly I’m not talking about Richards singing lead vocals. I’m saying the band will not continue when those two decide they’re done. That is my prediction and that would mean they aren’t being replaced. If you’re arguing about the word “replaceable” and hypothetically could any of them be replaced, yes I agree they could. I’m saying they WON’T.

Date: June 17, 2019 16:12

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
Mick Taylor played bass and electric guitar on them, respectively.

I vaguely remember that there was some court ruling that said they had to acknowledge the fact that Taylor wrote the songs (at least partially) at the time. Perhaps they bought him off later on? The way the label info is given doesn't suggest a typo, in my opinion.

I Just Wanna See His Face:

Probable line-up:

It's not the bible. but people doing a good effort. thumbs up

Drums: Charlie Watts 
Upright acoustic double bass: Bill Plummer 
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger 
Background vocals: Clydie King, Venetta Fields & Jesse Kirkland 
Electric piano: Keith Richards and Nicky Hopkins (Bobby Whitlock claims he played - my comment)
Maracas: Jimmy Miller
Tambourine: Jimmy Miller 

Let It Loose:

Elliott's book The Complete Recording Sessions and the Rolling Stones All The Songs both say Taylor added electric bass to I Just Wanna See His Face.

The original release of Metamorphosis credited Taylor on I'm Going Down. The credits were changed on later releases.

Taylor didn't write anything but confirmed himself that he played bass on Just wanne see his face. Both an electric Bass and acoustic upright Bass are clearly audible . The electric piano sounds like a Fender Rhodes to me.

Absolutely. I’ve noticed a lot of misinformation on that site.

It's absolutely not the bible but people doing a good job for free. thumbs up

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:13

There appears to be some bootleg "Ï Gave You Diamonds You Give Me Disease" that has an instrumental version of Let It Loose with overdubbed slide guitar.

Date: June 17, 2019 16:50

SomeGuy
There appears to be some bootleg "Ï Gave You Diamonds You Give Me Disease" that has an instrumental version of Let It Loose with overdubbed slide guitar.

I found this on youtube, a few notes of slide, no way that's Taylor unless he's completely drunk . No Jagger, different horn-arrangement at the end.

Let it Loose-Instrumental.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:59

TravelinMan
HMS, Jagger, Richards, and Watts are irreplaceable. Anybody else is, although it isn’t the same without Bill.

thank you for considering me irreplaceablesmiling bouncing smiley
...too much honour however.winking smiley

Date: June 17, 2019 17:17

SomeGuy
Hairball
powerage78
Wood Stones era will never be the gold Stones one.
Period.

This concisely sums it all up. thumbs up

Agreed.

Humbuggrinning smiley
At least in terms of money the golden years started in 1989!smiling smiley

Musically the Wood-era has no less highlights to offer than the Taylor-years. I could give you a detailed list anytime. Once again, the Taylor years showed the (temporary) decline of the band: IORR worse than GHS, GHS worse than EOMS, EOMS worse than SF. So what´s so golden about it after all. Two superb albums - LIB & SF (on one of them almost NO Taylor), one album that could have been a masterpiece it they had shortened it (EOMS) plus two mediocre tired-sounding and overall rather boring albums (GHS/IORR).

Musically, the golden years are the period when they released their incredible string of iconic singles. More golden than any other period (sorry all you Taylorites, but there can´t be any doubt about it).

Taylor was lucky to be around when the Glimmers wrote some of their best songs (EOMS, especially SF) and Wood is not responsible for seemingly weak albums like SW, VL, B2B, ABB. It´s not unusual that the latter day-output of an artist/a band is not as strong as the output of earlier years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 17:19 by HMS.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:25

TheflyingDutchman
SomeGuy

I found this on youtube, a few notes of slide, no way that's Taylor unless he's completely drunk . No Jagger, different horn-arrangement at the end.

Let it Loose-Instrumental.

That sounds awful alright.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:26

TravelinMan

I’m saying the band will not continue when those two decide they’re done.

... hypothetically could any of them be replaced, yes I agree they could ...

Probably not, but it doesn't mean they are't replaceable.

As you agree. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 17:28 by His Majesty.

Date: June 17, 2019 17:30

HMS
SomeGuy
Hairball
powerage78
Wood Stones era will never be the gold Stones one.
Period.

This concisely sums it all up. thumbs up

Agreed.

Humbuggrinning smiley
At least in terms of money the golden years started in 1989!smiling smiley

Musically the Wood-era has no less highlights to offer than the Taylor-years. I could give you a detailed list anytime. Once again, the Taylor years showed the (temporary) decline of the band: IORR worse than GHS, GHS worse than EOMS, EOMS worse than SF. So what´s so golden about it after all. Two superb albums - LIB & SF (on one of them almost NO Taylor), one album that could have been a masterpiece it they had shortened it (EOMS) plus two mediocre tired-sounding and overall rather boring albums (GHS/IORR).

Musically, the golden years are the period when they released their incredible string of iconic singles. More golden than any other period (sorry all you Taylorites, but there can´t be any doubt about it).

Taylor was lucky to be around when the Glimmers wrote some of their best songs (EOMS, especially SF) and Wood is not responsible for seemingly weak albums like SW, VL, B2B, ABB. It´s not unusual that the latter day-output of an artist/a band is not as strong as the output of earlier years.

You keep pointing your finger at Taylor. You must be some sort of frustrated blues player who's very jealous at him.cool smiley

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 17, 2019 17:53

There appears to be two camps in the ongoing Taylor vs. Wood debate. On one hand we have those who think the band was at their creative zenith while Mick Taylor was in the band. And on the other, those who are simply wrong. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 21:07 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:07

Musically the stones live during 1969 thru 1973 with Taylor in the band was the best lineup how can one argue with that is beyond me and what I hear on the boots and YA YAS. The studio records with Taylor had quality songwriting and playing.

Black and Blue was put together on the fly after Taylor left and for me did not have enough songs on the album. Some Girls was okay but now I prefer some girls bonus tracks, ER and UC are my fav Ron Wood era records. The others ABB and VL have to many songs on the records and BTB and DW have to many tracks I skip.

Date: June 17, 2019 18:16

There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.
At least I'm over it for many years already. It's called self-awareness grinning smiley

Date: June 17, 2019 18:24

TornAndFried
the band was at their creative zenith while Mick Taylor was in the band

I´d like to say their creative zenith were the London Years.

Date: June 17, 2019 18:35

OpenG
Musically the stones live during 1969 thru 1973 with Taylor in the band was the best lineup how can one argue with that is beyond me

Taylor played way too much. He was - maybe still is - an excellent player but in those live years he often played too much stuff on songs that do not need that kind of playing. Some songs do even suffer from his playing hundreds of notes not belonging to the songs.

Personally I think L.A. 75 is the best live recording the band has ever released. Raunchy, dirty, energetic, no unnecessary decorations, purest of Stones, sloppiness as an integral artistical part.

Date: June 17, 2019 18:37

TheflyingDutchman
There's no use in writing tons of post about a musician you don't think much of.

it is my undisputed duty to right a wrongcool smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:50

ick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new
Date: June 17, 2019 18:35

OpenG
Musically the stones live during 1969 thru 1973 with Taylor in the band was the best lineup how can one argue with that is beyond me

Taylor played way too much. He was - maybe still is - an excellent player but in those live years he often played too much stuff on songs that do not need that kind of playing. Some songs do even suffer from his playing hundreds of notes not belonging to the songs.

Personally I think L.A. 75 is the best live recording the band has ever released. Raunchy, dirty, energetic, no unnecessary decorations, purest of Stones, sloppiness as an integral artisti

Raunchy, dirty verse noodling and overplaying is what we always argue here and we never come to agreement but that's okay.

I have moved on and listen to more grunge then stones these days. I have become a huge fan of Stone Temple Pilots and I think STP first 6 records are up there with the stones and ZEP.

Core, Purple,Tiny Music, Shangri-La,No 4 STP 2010. These 6 records have great songwriting, singing and musicianship from the DeLeo brothers. Dean is a great guitar player and incorporates some jazz chords with rock which I love.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:51

HMS
OpenG

Personally I think L.A. 75 is the best live recording the band has ever released. Raunchy, dirty, energetic, no unnecessary decorations, purest of Stones, sloppiness as an integral artistical part.

Jagger's vocals in 1975 were terrible! No comparison to 1972/73 where he sang great even on mediocre nights. Could you please indicate which songs were supposed to suffer?

Besides that, it was the contemparary Fashion of the early 1070s to have a brilliant guitar player perfoming impressive solos. It's all hindsight now to state that Mick Taylor overplayed in concert.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2019 18:51

As far as Ronnie era studio albums where he was a fully integral part (not Black and Blue or Tattoo You), I would only list Some Girls as being essential and indespensable.
Other albums have some bright spots, but none are as solid from start to finish and as a whole.

Brian and Mick T. on the other hand...well it's hard to pick any they were involved with that aren't essential for one reason or another.

Date: June 17, 2019 19:09

HMS
OpenG

Yes, 1975 is quite good and has interesting songs included like Get Off My Cloud and Wild Horses (the drugged out, grungy version).

Alas, Jagger sounded better in the years prior, I much prefer Hopkins to Preston on keys, and Ron Wood is not the axeman that Mick Taylor is. 1975 is Ron Wood trying to be Mick Taylor and it doesn’t work. I’m glad he went back to being Ron Wood.

HMS, you are irreplaceable because it is a fun exercise to point out how wrong you are all the time. smileys with beer

Date: June 17, 2019 19:20

Hairball
As far as Ronnie era studio albums where he was a fully integral part (not Black and Blue or Tattoo You), I would only list Some Girls as being essential and indespensable.
Other albums have some bright spots, but none are as solid from start to finish and as a whole.

Brian and Mick T. on the other hand...well it's hard to pick any they were involved with that aren't essential for one reason or another.

Some Girls is pretty good but I really only enjoy maybe half of it and I don’t think that changes without Wood. The best songs are a disco and a whatever Beast of Burden is, surely not a masculine rock number that HMS lauds. When The Whip Comes Down is repetitive and gets boring, Richards shouldn’t be singing at this point, Shattered and the mock country are lame. I’m not a fan of the punk songs. The song Some Girls is enjoyable.

Date: June 17, 2019 19:28

HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

Thank You, HMS, Thank You!.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2019 19:33

TravelinMan
Hairball

Some Girls is pretty good but I really only enjoy maybe half of it and I don’t think that changes without Wood. The best songs are a disco and a whatever Beast of Burden is, surely not a masculine rock number that HMS lauds. When The Whip Comes Down is repetitive and gets boring, Richards shouldn’t be singing at this point, Shattered and the mock country are lame. I’m not a fan of the punk songs. The song Some Girls is enjoyable.

Well since you put it like that, I suppose none of the Ronnie era albums are essential/indispensable. winking smiley
Just kidding - Some Girls ranks amongst my favorites from all eras, though probably alot of that has to do with it being released when it was, and my personal perspective of it all. I was 15 at the time, and there was a brand new Stones album to cherish - it became a huge part of the soundtrack to 1978. From several songs being played constantly on the radio, to local high school bands playing many tunes from it at parties - you couldn't escape it! Still love Miss You both studio and live, and never change the radio station when it comes on, or take a piss break when it's played live. Then Emotional Rescue was released, and upon hearing ER as the first single, it was clear the party was over. Thankfully Tattoo You was a step back in the right direction, and I still cherish most of side two as some of the best Stones ever (imo) - Heaven and No Use in Crying being my favorites from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 19:35 by Hairball.

Date: June 17, 2019 19:41

TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

One of the very best examples for a song that does not need the MT treatment. He destroys the original mood of the song.

Date: June 17, 2019 19:47

saltoftheearth
Could you please indicate which songs were supposed to suffer?

Almost all of them... only one song comes to my mind that profits live from the MT treatment...Angie.

Date: June 17, 2019 19:51

saltoftheearth
Besides that, it was the contemparary Fashion of the early 1070s to have a brilliant guitar player perfoming impressive solos. It's all hindsight now to state that Mick Taylor overplayed in concert.

That is the big problem..
The Stones plus a brilliant guitar virtuoso...it just does not fit together, does not make any sense.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-17 19:53 by HMS.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 17, 2019 19:54

HMS
saltoftheearth
Could you please indicate which songs were supposed to suffer?

Almost all of them... only one song comes to my mind that profits live from the MT treatment...Angie.

From " The Torso " to Taylor...maybe you should turn your attention back to your favourite topic...
Do some " Dirty Work " ....

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 17, 2019 21:56

TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

Here is RW attempting to replicate MT's solo on Gimme Shelter 1975.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 17, 2019 22:20

PhillyFAN
TheflyingDutchman
HMS
TheflyingDutchman

smileys with beer

Here is RW attempting to replicate MT's solo on Gimme Shelter 1975.

[www.youtube.com]

Not bad but it's a far cry from the fluid left hand hammer-ons and pull-offs and emotive string bending and vibrato Mick Taylor exhibited when he played Gimme Shelter live in 1972/3. And mind you, this is when Ronnie was at his peak musically. His technical skills have deteriorated exponentially since the 70's. His guitar tone is thin here as well.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 22:27 by TornAndFried.

Date: June 17, 2019 22:22

There is a version on the Wild Horses CD single released in 1996 that is much better than the MT version.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...238239240241242243244245246247248...LastNext
Current Page: 243 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home