Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...157158159160161162163164165166167...LastNext
Current Page: 162 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:30

dcba
This thread is turning into a sh&t-throwing contest I love it! >grinning smiley<

Imo Mick and Keef had a wisdom about the essence of rock MT didn't have. Groove, ability to lock in a common musical wave are key, musical dexterity isn't.

I was listening to the Norfolk'72 gig the other day : the source taken from vinyl has MT high in the mix and Keef mia. Gues what? On YCAGWYW the music sounds hollow and boring. After a few dozen seconds of MT-soloing I started to think "hey this thing could go on for another 10 seconds or 10 minutes and I wouldn't care". I MISSED hearing Keef locking in with Charlie and Bill. MT wasn't locking in with anybody he was going "blah-blah-blah" with his guitar.

So yeah during the 69-74 years MT was a great icing on the cake but without a cake the icing is pointless.

Stirring the pot again, he? But you better post that Norfolk gig you mentioned. I am now listening to it and it sounds totally different from what you say. So you made me curious. Come on, post it, you will pleasure plenty people here, me included.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:36

DoctorFreddie
Olly
kleermaker

For someone who knows much of the live music during the Taylor era this is clearly (and probably provocative) nonsense.

The myth is that Taylor played long solos live. The truth is he did not, compared to his successor (whose name I won't mention)...

Ronnie Wood.

Must you now leave the building, spin around, expectorate, curse, and knock upon the door?

wow youre a heavy dude mr. Olly

Just a theatrical reference to amiably tease the most theatrical of posters.

Olly.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:36

stonesrule
In my opinion HMS needs to be banned by BV until he learns to get his FACTS
straight. Altamont was a terrible situation and Keith was horrified about
the violence in the audience. He was not "picking on" Mick Taylor.

Huh? I never wrote that Keith was picking on MT at Altamont. Dont even mentioned Altamont... Always thought Keith stopped because of Hells Angels actions in front of stage.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:47

HMS
stonesrule

Huh? I never wrote that Keith was picking on MT at Altamont. Dont even mentioned Altamont... Always thought Keith stopped because of Hells Angels actions in front of stage.

You are right (for once!). It was our friend Turner 68 joking.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 19:00

kleermaker
HMS
stonesrule

You are right (for once!). It was our friend Turner 68 joking.

Of course it was a joke! How could anyone actually think they stopped the song and lectured Taylor about noodling while in the middle of the tremendous tragedy that was Altamont. Keith's quote about cooling it is one of the pivotal moments in the movie - he was One of the few who said anything to stand up to the violence and threaten to do something if it didn't stop.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 1, 2015 19:06

I semi apologize to HMS...he pushes his thoughts about Keith and Ronnie so hard
that I got "a little confused". And he has a lot to learn about how Keith and Mick Taylor actually thought and behaved to each other.

Turner68 didn't help matters.

Thanks for clarifying Kleerie.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:20

stonesrule
that I got "a little confused". And he has a lot to learn about how Keith and Mick Taylor actually thought and behaved to each other.

Stonesrule smiling smiley

As for Keith and Mick Taylor, it's clear that they appreciate and admire each other very much. I recall Keith saying that he stayed for a while at Mick Taylor's house during those famous French period and that he got to know Taylor better during his stay with him.

As for MT, he has said they mostly communicated through making music together. It's also clear that musical communication didn't need much words. Besides, it's clear that Keith was painfully hurt when he heard that Taylor had left the band. The same goes for Jagger, btw. Personally I think the scars of that breach never have disappeared.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 1, 2015 19:20

162 pages on Taylor/around Taylor since March

You MT-guys are crazy. Unbelievable.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:29

kleermaker
stonesrule

Stonesrule smiling smiley

As for Keith and Mick Taylor, it's clear that they appreciate and admire each other very much. I recall Keith saying that he stayed for a while at Mick Taylor's house during those famous French period and that he got to know Taylor better during his stay with him.

As for MT, he has said they mostly communicated through making music together. It's also clear that musical communication didn't need much words. Besides, it's clear that Keith was painfully hurt when he heard that Taylor had left the band. The same goes for Jagger, btw. Personally I think the scars of that breach never have disappeared.

Yes. Did you see the blurb I posted from the stones website about Taylor as part of the new "exhibitionism" exhibit? I was amazed. They go so far as to suggest that they were at their best with Taylor. I felt it was a very fair and balanced bio. The only debate on this MT topic IMO is whether Taylor was merely great or God-like, and then people defending Ronnie and Keith from unnecessary insults.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:38

Turner68

Yes. Did you see the blurb I posted from the stones website about Taylor as part of the new "exhibitionism" exhibit? I was amazed. They go so far as to suggest that they were at their best with Taylor. I felt it was a very fair and balanced bio. The only debate on this MT topic IMO is whether Taylor was merely great or God-like, and then people defending Ronnie and Keith from unnecessary insults.

From rollingstones.com: "What’s also an interesting question is, “Have The Rolling Stones ever been as good as they were when Mick Taylor was in the band?”

Obviously a rhetorical question indeed.

But this thread is about much more than what it is in your opinion, the God-like thing being bad irony, let alone the insults statement.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 1, 2015 20:51

Turner68

you're forgetting about the footage captured in the movie "Gimme Shelter" from Altamont where Keith literally has to stop the song and point at MT and say (in the mike, so everyone could hear) "hey man, if that cat doesn't cool it, we're not going to play". although there may be other examples, it's the only one i can recall where they actually stopped the song to lecture Taylor about noodling.

Or the one, somewhere in the 80s, while playing Satisfaction where Mick Taylor actually runs up on stage and Keith has to take off his Telecaster to slam him off stage again.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 1, 2015 21:00

Just to be clear, here is a video of Taylor noodling away on CYHMK, Not only is Jagger encouraging his playing (02:17) , both Keith and Ronnie seem to give him high praise and support after the song is done.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 1, 2015 21:03

Turner68
you're forgetting about the footage captured in the movie "Gimme Shelter" from Altamont where Keith literally has to stop the song and point at MT and say (in the mike, so everyone could hear) "hey man, if that cat doesn't cool it, we're not going to play". although there may be other examples, it's the only one i can recall where they actually stopped the song to lecture Taylor about noodling.

In 1971 I was having a private conversation with Mick Jagger in Paris when he turned to me suddenly and said: "I don't want Stevie Wonder to worry about Keith yelling at him"

I said "Steveie won't mind as long as he's not wearing a tuxedo."

Date: August 1, 2015 21:47

TonyMo
Turner68

In 1971 I was having a private conversation with Mick Jagger in Paris when he turned to me suddenly and said: "I don't want Stevie Wonder to worry about Keith yelling at him"

I said "Steveie won't mind as long as he's not wearing a tuxedo."

:-)

Date: August 1, 2015 21:47

matxil
Turner68

Or the one, somewhere in the 80s, while playing Satisfaction where Mick Taylor actually runs up on stage and Keith has to take off his Telecaster to slam him off stage again.

i thought i recognized that guy!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 1, 2015 21:52

matxil
Turner68

That wasn't Mick Taylor, that was a Taylorite in total despair because of the music and unfortunately couldn't find his way out.

Date: August 1, 2015 21:53

Naturalust
Just to be clear, here is a video of Taylor noodling away on CYHMK, Not only is Jagger encouraging his playing (02:17) , both Keith and Ronnie seem to give him high praise and support after the song is done.

[www.youtube.com]

hmm what about the footage in "gimme shelter" - during honky tonk women several women rush the stage because they are so upset with MJ for allowing MT to noodle?

starts at 0:56

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 21:55 by Turner68.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 1, 2015 21:57

"lead guitarist dissatisfied, sexually satisfied, philosophically trying."

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 2, 2015 00:02

Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Started watching at 02:17. Woke up at twenty to four.

Date: August 2, 2015 00:23

TonyMo
Naturalust

Still in time to hear the crowd going absolutely nuts. smoking smiley

Here is a video of Taylor playing with Albert King. Not Taylor's best work, imo but the footage of the late great Mr. King is pretty special.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 00:31 by Naturalust.

Date: August 2, 2015 00:32

TonyMo

Just closed my eyes and listened unbiased, twice. Tone, timing, vibrato, melodic approach. He lost it, gone with the wind, imo.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 2, 2015 01:37

Several people have clued me in that TonyMo is just another jerk with his
riffs on Stevie Wonder, Berry Gordy etc.

Until then I took "TonyMo" at his word. How foolish of me.

Date: August 2, 2015 02:00

stonesrule
Several people have clued me in that TonyMo is just another jerk with his
riffs on Stevie Wonder, Berry Gordy etc.

Until then I took "TonyMo" at his word. How foolish of me.

people on the internet should never been taken at their word.

Date: August 2, 2015 02:16

LuxuryStones

Just closed my eyes and listened unbiased, twice. Tone, timing, vibrato, melodic approach. He lost it, gone with the wind, imo.

To be fair it wasn't his best performance of the tune, even he is clearly unhappy with it when he finished. I think part of the problem was him being thrown out there for one tune without the proper time to warm up with the band and get a good feel for the stage, venue, the other musicians and the sound. I could point to plenty of Keith and Ronnie situations where those things you mention are gone too but others are basically carrying them through it. Taylor was out there all alone with little help....just sayin. It any case the crowd seemed to love it.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 04:49

Eleanor Rigby
haha...

but getting back to the L&G footage of keith getting angry at MT.
I reckon it has something to do with them wanting to be "perfect" for the "live" album that they had practised for in Dallas.
Keith being the perfectionist that he is.

Yes, perfectionist's often turn up drunk or stoned for gigs and recording, professionalism at it highest. Anyway doesn't Richards screw up the ending of JJF on L&G.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-02 04:53 by lapaz62.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 2, 2015 10:38

TonyMo
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Great time to wake up! For some of you naysayers: it's the moment where Taylor takes control and leads the whole band to the end, and actually ends the song with Charlie (an official Rolling Stone).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 2, 2015 11:27

Naturalust
LuxuryStones

To be fair it wasn't his best performance of the tune, even he is clearly unhappy with it when he finished. I think part of the problem was him being thrown out there for one tune without the proper time to warm up with the band and get a good feel for the stage, venue, the other musicians and the sound. I could point to plenty of Keith and Ronnie situations where those things you mention are gone too but others are basically carrying them through it. Taylor was out there all alone with little help....just sayin. It any case the crowd seemed to love it.

Poor little MT.grinning smiley
But you Taylorites have always interesting excuses when his playing was not goodcool smiley

Date: August 2, 2015 11:54

Naturalust
LuxuryStones

Could be part of the case indeed, and right, the same goes for Ron and Keith as well..and as long as the crowd loves it, it's ok of course.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 12:50

HMS
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

Poor little MT.grinning smiley
But you Taylorites have always interesting excuses when his playing was not goodcool smiley

Not from me, sometimes it was crap but when he got it right, it was better than just good. If you listen to a lot of Taylor boots, the bad shows are bad but the good ones, the day he is form are fantastic.

Date: August 2, 2015 13:52

He has his ups and downs through the years.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...157158159160161162163164165166167...LastNext
Current Page: 162 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home