Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...297298299300301302303304305306307Next
Current Page: 306 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 27, 2024 23:20

skytrench
I think Taylor is somewhat guilty of that on the Wembley solos, I prefer the slower paced YCAGWYW solo (infusing his Winter parts) or the more 'to the point' solos of Tumbling Dice from Bruxelles.

Yeah, to me the YCAGWYW solo is peak Taylor. Could listen to that playing all day.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 28, 2024 11:24

Taylor1
Mathijs
Taylor1
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Give me a couple songs to check out and I'm sure I could knock them out a lot quicker than it took me any of Hendrix's ballads or Taylor's Brussels Gimme Shelter solos at full speed.

Try Keith's part of Beast of Burden, note for note. Or Ronnie's solos on Black Limo, Neighbours, Shattered or 20 Flight Rock, all from Hampton.

Mathijs
How about Taylor’s solos on Sympathy for the Devil,( Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out)Street Fighting Man,(London 1973),Sway and 100 Years Ago

All great solos, but not that hard to copy. You do need the talent of Taylor to invent these solos though.

IMO Taylor's most amazing solos are Gimme Shelter, Happy, Heartbreaker and SFM all from Wembley, September 9, 1973. Really incredible from a melodic point of view, and also quite difficult to play, especially Gimme Shelter.

Mathijs
But isn’t it also the creativity of it that matters also. Satisfaction riff is simple but Keith was the one who came up with it

That's what I am stating above.

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2024 11:56

RollingFreak
skytrench
I think Taylor is somewhat guilty of that on the Wembley solos, I prefer the slower paced YCAGWYW solo (infusing his Winter parts) or the more 'to the point' solos of Tumbling Dice from Bruxelles.

Yeah, to me the YCAGWYW solo is peak Taylor. Could listen to that playing all day.

The entire Brussels Affair (the bootleg with Wembley recordings) is a master workshop in lead guitar, and at spots also in how to incorporate lead guitar in a 'rythm guitar way'. Taylor's slide playing on BS, Happy and ADTL is fantastic, his fast and melodic lead playing on GS, Heartbreaker, SFM is in my favorite solos of all time. His slide and lead work, which is much more like embedded rhythm playing, on Dancing WMD and Midnight Rambler are beyond fantastic. His concise, to the point solos of Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW are songs within song, also some of his greatest playing.

The only of his playing that I don't like very much is where he is required to play mainly rhythm guitar. I find him annoying on HTW, his rhythm feel for StarF is awkward, his approach for JJF goes against the drive of Keith and Charlie and drags the song down a bit. I like his lead on RTJ, but his rhythm approach is a strange kind of jazz improv which just doesn't work, it sits in the way of the main guitar and piano.

Mathijs

Date: February 28, 2024 16:15

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

McLaughlin would not be as good as Keith playing rhythm guitar at his best

I grew up with both and enjoy both. They are completely different players. Cherish the players you like, forget the ones you don't like and don't compare would be my advice to all the posters on the "Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now" thread, or in general. I'm too old for this crap by now.

Actually, McLaughlin isn't that far off on Miles's Jack Johnson album smiling smiley

" In a silent way" is a nice tune with Miles. Very mellow.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-28 16:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 28, 2024 16:50

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

I grew up with both and enjoy both. They are completely different players. Cherish the players you like, forget the ones you don't like and don't compare would be my advice to all the posters on the "Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now" thread, or in general. I'm too old for this crap by now.

Actually, McLaughlin isn't that far off on Miles's Jack Johnson album smiling smiley

Indeed thumbs up

However, there is some 60s Keith in McLaughlin's playing here smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 28, 2024 19:19

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Taylor1

Indeed thumbs up

However, there is some 60s Keith in McLaughlin's playing here smiling smiley

Yep, very reminiscent.thumbs up

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 28, 2024 22:05

Mathijs

The entire Brussels Affair (the bootleg with Wembley recordings) is a master workshop in lead guitar, and at spots also in how to incorporate lead guitar in a 'rythm guitar way'….

. . .

The only of his playing that I don't like very much is where he is required to play mainly rhythm guitar. I find him annoying on HTW, his rhythm feel for StarF is awkward, his approach for JJF goes against the drive of Keith and Charlie and drags the song down a bit. I like his lead on RTJ, but his rhythm approach is a strange kind of jazz improv which just doesn't work, it sits in the way of the main guitar and piano.

Mathijs

Great observations. One note about Taylor’s “rhythm” playing in ‘72 is how cool he sounds on Bye Bye Johnny. I’m not sure how to characterize that playing exactly, but it seems more rhythm than lead to me, and I think it’s superb “rhythm” playing. I think he “drives” the song as much as Keith does.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 28, 2024 23:15

rocker1
Mathijs

The entire Brussels Affair (the bootleg with Wembley recordings) is a master workshop in lead guitar, and at spots also in how to incorporate lead guitar in a 'rythm guitar way'….

. . .

Mathijs

Great observations. One note about Taylor’s “rhythm” playing in ‘72 is how cool he sounds on Bye Bye Johnny. I’m not sure how to characterize that playing exactly, but it seems more rhythm than lead to me, and I think it’s superb “rhythm” playing. I think he “drives” the song as much as Keith does.
Also Rip This Joint from the movie Ladies and Gentleman

Date: February 28, 2024 23:22

rocker1
One note about Taylor’s “rhythm” playing in ‘72 is how cool he sounds on Bye Bye Johnny. I’m not sure how to characterize that playing exactly, but it seems more rhythm than lead to me, and I think it’s superb “rhythm” playing. I think he “drives” the song as much as Keith does.

Agreed.Gimme Shelter (Philly'72) is also a great example, during the verses in particular. Taylor often played the classic Chuck Berry rhythm style, mostly in the days when he joined the Stones, 1969/1970. From 1971 and onwards he started to vary and noodle in between a bit more , maybe due to absent-mindedness or just to experiment. And of course Keith powerful hit with the hammer made a second rhythm guitar a bit superfluous. Overall Taylor was good enough for the job, to my taste. The Stones didn't need an extra windmill like Pete Thownshend. That's just too much.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 29, 2024 13:11

Other examples of great Taylor rhythm work can be found on Stray Cat Blues from ya yas and Shelter from Brusselles Affaire. The line he plays when Stray Cat goes to the A chord just before the chorus, the tension that builds up and then explodes in the solo, killer stuff!!

And on shelter, that greasy licks he plays to seal Jagger's verses, again great tension that prepares the field for his super solo.

C

Date: February 29, 2024 13:16

liddas
Other examples of great Taylor rhythm work can be found on Stray Cat Blues from ya yas and Shelter from Brusselles Affaire. The line he plays when Stray Cat goes to the A chord just before the chorus, the tension that builds up and then explodes in the solo, killer stuff!!

And on shelter, that greasy licks he plays to seal Jagger's verses, again great tension that prepares the field for his super solo.

C

Isn't he just playing licks off of Keith's rhythm in both cases, though? I agree on both being great thumbs up

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 29, 2024 13:23

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Isn't he just playing licks off of Keith's rhythm in both cases, though? I agree on both being great thumbs up

No way he is JUST playing licks off K, it is the ancient art of weaving for chrissake!

C

p.s. add a smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-29 13:24 by liddas.

Date: February 29, 2024 13:31

More like one-dimensional knitting winking smiley

On a serious note, I know that rhythm means different things for different people. I respect that.

However, imo Taylor adds to Keith's rhythm playing in both cases. Take away Keith's rhythm tracks and you don't have a rhythm guitar, you have single string syncopated licks (which fit perfectly to Keith's guitar, though).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 29, 2024 15:06

As Keith frequently says, it's all about the Roll.

And that's not something you can easily explain to folks who don't get it.grinning smiley

Date: February 29, 2024 16:48

TheflyingDutchman
rocker1
One note about Taylor’s “rhythm” playing in ‘72 is how cool he sounds on Bye Bye Johnny. I’m not sure how to characterize that playing exactly, but it seems more rhythm than lead to me, and I think it’s superb “rhythm” playing. I think he “drives” the song as much as Keith does.

Agreed.Gimme Shelter (Philly'72) is also a great example, during the verses in particular. Taylor often played the classic Chuck Berry rhythm style, mostly in the days when he joined the Stones, 1969/1970. From 1971 and onwards he started to vary and noodle in between a bit more , maybe due to absent-mindedness or just to experiment. And of course Keith powerful hit with the hammer made a second rhythm guitar a bit superfluous. Overall Taylor was good enough for the job, to my taste. The Stones didn't need an extra windmill like Pete Thownshend. That's just too much.

My own take about Taylor in 1972 is that basically it is Nicky Hopkins who provides the second rhythm part, next to Keith's first. In my opinion it is the reason why Taylor is not very prominent on Exile, as there simply wasn't much to add next to the powerhouse Nicky Hopkins, who played rhythm and lead and melodies all at the same time. On the 1972 tour Taylor was more or less forced into the lead role, except for when Ian Stewart took over on tracks like Brown Sugar and Bye Bye Johnnie.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 29, 2024 18:26

God bless Nicky...has to be one of the greatest musicians ever!!!
To be fair, Taylor wasn't in the band to chug rhythm parts...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 29, 2024 22:49

This is one of my favorite Taylor performances.Although the rest of the band is pretty great .video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 1, 2024 17:20

DandelionPowderman
More like one-dimensional knitting winking smiley

On a serious note, I know that rhythm means different things for different people. I respect that.

However, imo Taylor adds to Keith's rhythm playing in both cases. Take away Keith's rhythm tracks and you don't have a rhythm guitar, you have single string syncopated licks (which fit perfectly to Keith's guitar, though).

I hear him incorporating double stops on his Gimme Shelter riffs during the verses, and of course he is playing off Richards who is proving the main harmonic rhythm.

Date: March 1, 2024 17:22

Mathijs

I enjoy all of those parts lol

Date: March 3, 2024 00:17

With Etta James & Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 4, 2024 10:27

TravelinMan
Mathijs

I can enjoy some of that stuff...

...but I kind of draw the line when he can't resist adding "twiddly" bits to the main riffs of Satisfaction and JJF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-04 10:43 by Spud.

Date: March 4, 2024 14:59

Spud
TravelinMan
Mathijs

I can enjoy some of that stuff...

...but I kind of draw the line when he can't resist adding "twiddly" bits to the main riffs of Satisfaction and JJF.

Hmm not familiar.

What I recall is him adding a counterpoint riff to the outro of both songs. The 1969 Satisfaction specifically. The 72 version is not my favorite.

Date: March 8, 2024 00:09

To me this is very tricky to copy note for note.The repeating intro and outdo in particular. 1 week of practising for playing 3 minutes of non stop music.

Date: March 11, 2024 20:47

TheflyingDutchman
To me this is very tricky to copy note for note.The repeating intro and outdo in particular. 1 week of practising for playing 3 minutes of non stop music.

You gotta be from the mountains to play that!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 16, 2024 20:46

[www.gratefulweb.com]

Just check out the album's first single, a transformation of Robert Calvert's “Evil Rock” from his 1981 album with the brilliant Mick Taylor ...

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: March 20, 2024 09:07

Error grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-20 10:32 by 5strings.

Date: March 20, 2024 10:48

History, but still.

Date: March 20, 2024 19:52

^ what year did he sign vs his record actually come out?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 20, 2024 20:25

TravelinMan
^ what year did he sign vs his record actually come out?

1977 vs 1979.

But he seemingly started rhe recordings for the album before the deal.

- Doxa

Date: March 22, 2024 14:47

Glam Descendant
I know Taylor used to have a wife named Rose but I believe he's married since then. Anyone know his wife's name? Was he ever married to someone named Valerie?

Yes he was. Valerie seemingly passed away a few years ago.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...297298299300301302303304305306307Next
Current Page: 306 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home