Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 29, 2015 02:05

Time is a flat circle..and this thread proves it.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: July 29, 2015 03:25

stonesrule
I remember a Paris afternoon
in 1971 when Mick Jagger and I were having a private conversation and he suddenly told me: "Listen, we're gonna tour America in 1972 and 3. WHO
shall we get as the opening act?"

Without hesitating, I said, "Stevie Wonder, of course!" He lit up. "OH!
Do you think he would?"

"Of course," I said, "Now that he's grown up, Motown wants to stick him in a
tuxedo and have him play nightclubs..I'll call him when I get back to LA."

I remember a Detroit afternoon in 1971 when Stevie Wonder and I were having a private conversation and he suddenly told me: "Someone called me up out of the blue and asked me if I'd be interested in opening for the Rolling Stones in 1972 and 3."

Without hesitating, I said "One day, somebody is going to claim this was how you came to tour with the Stones"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 06:49 by TonyMo.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 29, 2015 03:55

BILLPERKS
Time is a flat circle..and this thread proves it.[/quot

Yes!!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 04:50

TonyMo
stonesrule
I remember a Paris afternoon
in 1971 when Mick Jagger and I were having a private conversation and he suddenly told me: "Listen, we're gonna tour America in 1972 and 3. WHO
shall we get as the opening act?"

Without hesitating, I said, "Stevie Wonder, of course!" He lit up. "OH!
Do you think he would?"

"Of course," I said, "Now that he's grown up, Motown wants to stick him in a
tuxedo and have him play nightclubs..I'll call him when I get back to LA."

I remembera Detroit afternoon in 1971 when Stevie Wonder and I were having a private conversation and he suddenly told me: "Someone called me up out of the blue and asked me if I'd be interested in opening for the Rolling Stones in 1972 and 3."

Without hesitating, I said "One day, somebody is going to claim this was how you came to tour with the Stones"

amazing coincidence...

Across town in Detroit, possibly the very same afternoon, I was in my office at Motown Records when Barry Gordy walked in and said "you won't believe what just happened! stevie wonder called me up and said he ain't going to let me put him in a tuxedo and he's going out to tour with the rolling stones instead!"

my jaw dropped.

"we need to find a new sound, with stevie refusing to put on the tuxedo, our whole business plan is shot. WHAT is the new sound?" he asked.

luckily, i had been hanging around david mancuso - having private conversations - and attending his DJ events whenever i went to new york, and i turned to barry and said "you know, i think there might be this new sound in new york, vince alleti is calling it disco..."

Without hesitating, barry looked at me and said "that's it! never heard it but i love it! disco it is! we'll see what stevie and the rolling stones have to say to THAT"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 05:04 by Turner68.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: July 29, 2015 06:49

Turner68
amazing coincidence...

Across town in Detroit, possibly the very same afternoon, I was in my office at Motown Records when Barry Gordy walked in and said "you won't believe what just happened! stevie wonder called me up and said he ain't going to let me put him in a tuxedo and he's going out to tour with the rolling stones instead!"

my jaw dropped.

"we need to find a new sound, with stevie refusing to put on the tuxedo, our whole business plan is shot. WHAT is the new sound?" he asked.

luckily, i had been hanging around david mancuso - having private conversations - and attending his DJ events whenever i went to new york, and i turned to barry and said "you know, i think there might be this new sound in new york, vince alleti is calling it disco..."

Without hesitating, barry looked at me and said "that's it! never heard it but i love it! disco it is! we'll see what stevie and the rolling stones have to say to THAT"

If I may, allow me to correct the record in as much as I (by sheer coincidence) was the guy whose office Barry Gordy was in before he went to your office. The precise quote was Stevie telling Barry he didn't want to be "relegated to wearing a dinner jacket."

As I recall (and keeping with the primary topic) Barry turned to me suddenly and said: "I don't know what this disco music is but I'll bet five bucks Mick Taylor can play it"

I said, "Gord-O..." That's what we called him (as I'm sure you did as well), "is this a private conversation?" He turned to me suddenly and said "Let me call Mick Jagger's friend in Paris and find out."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 11:33 by TonyMo.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 29, 2015 16:40

Wonderful, even marvellous to have so many firsthand accounts of what was going on behind the scenes that led to Stevie Wonder supporting the Stones in 1972!!! Just by coincidence, I had a private conversation with my publisher about my new book "Wonderland - the true stories behind Rock'n'Roll's greatest mysteries" and one chapter is going to deal with the truth behind Stevie Wonder's supporting act role during the Stones 1972 American Tour. Are you willing to donate your stories for my book?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:48

Alimente, why don't you email me at shalala888@att.net and tell me a little more about your book and who is publishing it. What other books have you done?
I've known Stevie since he was 17 and I will be writing about him at length.
I will try to be helpful to you.

What interested me about some of the above posts was how fast Mick moved on my
suggestion especially since this was one of the busiest times in his life.
I spoke to Stevie a few days after our conversation to tell him about Mick's
enthusiasm and he got SO excited.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:16

Turner, TonyMo ..that's what I call running with it!grinning smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 29, 2015 18:27

stonesrule
Alimente, why don't you email me at shalala888@att.net and tell me a little more about your book and who is publishing it. What other books have you done?
I've known Stevie since he was 17 and I will be writing about him at length.
I will try to be helpful to you.

What interested me about some of the above posts was how fast Mick moved on my
suggestion especially since this was one of the busiest times in his life.
I spoke to Stevie a few days after our conversation to tell him about Mick's
enthusiasm and he got SO excited.

But stonesrule, what about that famous line of Mick in the L&G Movie about Stevie Wonder: "I guess overslept!"? I always have found that a remarkable remark.

btw: I have always thought that you were a girl, but now it turns out that you are a boy. winking smiley

Date: July 29, 2015 18:35

I AM a girl!

I know nothing about the "L&G" movie. Please explain!

Date: July 29, 2015 18:54

stonesrule
I AM a girl!

i believe he is referring to the date that Stevie missed (in Dallas?). the stones, believing that you *never* miss the show, were a little miffed, and i think mick made a sarcastic comment about stevie having overslept.

in any case, stevie is one of the greatest openers the stones ever had, it's really awesome they had him.

Date: July 29, 2015 19:20

stonesrule
I AM a girl!

I'm glad I was right all the time and some other poster apparently not. smiling smiley

Here's the song in the beginning of which he says something like: "I am sorry you didn't get to see Stevie Wonder, but we do our best. I guess overslept.":

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 29, 2015 19:37

May I be so bold as to call you "Kleerie"?
That "other poster" should be ashamed.

Some of these recent posts are making me consider starting a new topic at some
point re "What it's really like to be a woman behind the scenes in the music
business?" Although this is IORR and it may not be appreciated by BV to go too
far afield from the Stones. He puts in so much time and effort that I don't want to offend him.

Although the Stones have always been my favorite rock band..."and it's too late
to stop now!" I will say that I grew up with two brothers so I could put up
with just about anything off stage...I treasure my memories of the Stones
on stage.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 29, 2015 20:40

Hang in there stonesrule, some people just don't have a clue about how lucky we are to have you and a few other posters on here who have first hand stories to tell about those rich and potent times. Mick Jagger himself could come on this board and post about something and some people would be instantly mocking him for being a know-it-all and questioning his authenticity.

Hey kleerie thanks for that YouTube video, it was the first time I've ever watched and listened to an ad all the way through. The one I saw was an ad for the making of B&G handmade guitars and included some fascinating video of the process and some great music being played on one.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:07

Naturalust
Hang in there stonesrule, some people just don't have a clue about how lucky we are to have you and a few other posters on here who have first hand stories to tell about those rich and potent times. Mick Jagger himself could come on this board and post about something and some people would be instantly mocking him for being a know-it-all and questioning his authenticity.

Hey kleerie thanks for that YouTube video, it was the first time I've ever watched and listened to an ad all the way through. The one I saw was an ad for the making of B&G handmade guitars and included some fascinating video of the process and some great music being played on one.
smileys with beer

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:26

I thought this was Mick Taylor talk - I have to say that I would rather just have Keef & Ronnie on the tours they just seem to be joined at the hip... to me Mick Taylor just looked out of place on the last shows he did - Ronnie just seems the perfect fit personality,appearance & ability... Just sayin

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 30, 2015 03:16

Not sure if this has been posted here, from the Keith Mojo interview :

Looks like he hasn't forgotten his "three guitar approach" comments that generated a lot of excitement : "I wanted to see if it could blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised it was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so [with Mick Taylor guesting] has been amazing (...)".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:43

Keith Richards has always loved Taylors playing. In his book Life Keith says he loved his playing and did not want him to leave. I know for a while that wanted him back. It's really sad a loss for both the Stones and Taylor in those years.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 30, 2015 17:29

gotdablouse

Looks like he hasn't forgotten his "three guitar approach" comments that generated a lot of excitement : "I wanted to see if it could blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised it was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so [with Mick Taylor guesting] has been amazing (...)".

Thanks for ferreting that comment out, blouse. Just makes me think that we really still have no clue why the decision was made that Taylor was out and, at this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. cool smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 30, 2015 17:45

latebloomer
gotdablouse

Thanks for ferreting that comment out, blouse. Just makes me think that we really still have no clue why the decision was made that Taylor was out and, at this point, I don't think it really matters anymore. cool smiley

I doubt it matters to many people either at this point, but it occurs to me now, TPTB may not have wanted Taylor playing 5, 6 or 7 songs on even a part of a Sticky Fingers themed tour, or on a recorded show they'd market and have the brand diluted or confused or have potential $$$ or legal issues, with Taylor almost front and center, on such a project. Now that its done, if there wasn't too much animosity behind the scenes, perhaps some kind of marginal role may emerge for Taylor once again...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:02

I don´t think it´s about money or legal matters. It´s that Ronnie would have been humilated by Taylors presence on so many songs. You cannot treat your regular guitar player that way. It would have been very offensive.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:10

gotdablouse

On the other hand, apparently he has forgotten hearing that Taylor was sick.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:14

HMS
I don´t think it´s about money or legal matters. It´s that Ronnie would have been humilated by Taylors presence on so many songs. You cannot treat your regular guitar player that way. It would have been very offensive.

Humiliated or offensive in what way? I think they are playing at the same level these days.

Date: July 30, 2015 18:25

LuxuryStones
HMS

Humiliated or offensive in what way? I think they are playing at the same level these days.

i feel like i've seen this movie before, and know how it ends. lots of references to anonymous postings on Facebook....

Date: July 30, 2015 18:28

Turner68
LuxuryStones
HMS

i feel like i've seen this movie before, and know how it ends. lots of references to anonymous postings on Facebook....

My remark to HMS is strictly a musical one.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 18:28 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:31

latebloomer
gotdablouse

Just need to point out if Keith was really serious about planting the seeds for a three guitar band he would have let Taylor play on more than just Rambler. I think that if he had, he (and we) would have been talking about a lot more amazing music than just that one song. I truly don't think they wanted to see and deal with improved musical performances as a result of Taylors contributions. It would have just taken too much attention away from the current band, everyone would be talking about Taylor more than the other four and that probably wouldn't have seemed fair after the business that has been built by the current band for the last 40 years.

Even if Taylor had met or exceeded Keith's expectations for a three guitar approach I think this and other factors like the royalty issue doomed Taylor staying on from the beginning, he never stood a chance. Like I've said before don't you think it would be a bit uncomfortable for them to be touring to promote a release (SF) with Taylor when they haven't been paying him for his contributions to that record since 1982? We were lucky to see him for the short time we did but the fat lady has sung and, sadly, this collaboration will never be reborn, imo.

Date: July 30, 2015 19:11

LuxuryStones
Turner68
LuxuryStones
HMS

My remark to HMS is strictly a musical one.smiling smiley

a plot twist!!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 30, 2015 19:25

To ask Ronnie to step aside in favor of his predecessor would indeed be very offensive and humilating for Ronnie. He would have quitted and left the group. Of course Keith and Mick never thought of sacrificing Ronnie to satisfy the wishes of a handful Taylor-fans.

Date: July 30, 2015 19:30

Precarious case.grinning smiley Imagine what would have happened to the Rolling Stones if Ron Wood had quit 5 years ago and another guitarist (no Mick Taylor) would have replaced him? Some musical surprises and same ticket sales from 2012 and onwards I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 19:31 by LuxuryStones.

Date: July 30, 2015 20:42

stonesrule
May I be so bold as to call you "Kleerie"?

Of course you may, stonesrule. I would feel flattered and even honoured if you did.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...154155156157158159160161162163164...LastNext
Current Page: 159 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home