Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...151152153154155156157158159160161...LastNext
Current Page: 156 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:43

kleermaker
Naturalust
It's an interesting question of whether IORR as a parody. If it is, I think self-parody might just fit. It doesn't really have a whole lot of exaggeration musically but the lyrics certainly make light of taking Rock and Roll too seriously. But I think they were pretty serious when creating and recording this one.

I personally don't think it's sub-par at all. I think the Stones thought it was a great Rock song, certainly Keith did as he talks about hearing it and immediately wanting it for the Stones. When I first heard it I thought it was great and as treacle says, the version on the record is really good. I tend to think that it's just one of those songs that loses it's shine after many repeated listens.

"it's shine"?! Naturalust! I never heard it shine cool smiley

Of course it shined kleerie...everything shines after a bubble bath. smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:45

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
It's an interesting question of whether IORR as a parody. If it is, I think self-parody might just fit. It doesn't really have a whole lot of exaggeration musically but the lyrics certainly make light of taking Rock and Roll too seriously. But I think they were pretty serious when creating and recording this one.

I personally don't think it's sub-par at all. I think the Stones thought it was a great Rock song, certainly Keith did as he talks about hearing it and immediately wanting it for the Stones. When I first heard it I thought it was great and as treacle says, the version on the record is really good. I tend to think that it's just one of those songs that loses it's shine after many repeated listens.

Of course it shined kleerie...everything shines after a bubble bath. smoking smiley

But the bubble bath was the parody version!

Date: July 18, 2015 21:08

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

Yes it was rather silly but it was great to see Taylor laughing and having fun. The tune is just one of those light, fun ditties that reminds us all not to take the music (and ourselves) too seriously.

The original has a seriously deep groove, it's got elements that make it purely Rolling Stones and it's a very well put together piece of music, imo. Are there any live versions with Taylor playing out there?

Anyway I think Ozzy, Bonnie Raitt , James Brown, Iggy Pop, Chrissie Hynde, Joe Cocker, Herbie Hancock, BB King and quite a few others like it. This vid isn't a parody, these people are having fun man!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 18, 2015 21:22

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

Yes it was rather silly but it was great to see Taylor laughing and having fun. The tune is just one of those light, fun ditties that reminds us all not to take the music (and ourselves) too seriously.

The original has a seriously deep groove, it's got elements that make it purely Rolling Stones and it's a very well put together piece of music, imo. Are there any live versions with Taylor playing out there?

Anyway I think Ozzy, Bonnie Raitt , James Brown, Iggy Pop, Chrissie Hynde, Joe Cocker, Herbie Hancock, BB King and quite a few others like it. This vid isn't a parody, these people are having fun man!

[www.youtube.com]

There is no live version with Taylor. But I disagree: it's a sub par song, less than mediocre, far from being funny too.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 21:41

They did (and do) IORR pretty well onstage (at least sometimes), some live-versions are very pleasing indeed. But the studio-version is lame and oh so boring.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 18, 2015 22:10

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

There is no live version with Taylor. But I disagree: it's a sub par song, less than mediocre, far from being funny too.

I would say "satire", and I believe its very underrated.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 18, 2015 22:39

buffalo7478
I have never liked Ronnie's live playing with the Stones. I always felt that during the Taylor years, his excellent playing 'pushed' Keith and the band to higher levels. IMHO it is easy to listen to live recordings from 1969 on thru 1973 and hear the band getting better and better. Then we got a rough love band in 1975-76. Anand trying to be punk-like in 1978, Then the no real edge at all in 1981. Though they were pleasant live, there was nothing really being enhanced or created on stage.

I was very let down when I found that Taylor was not going to be part of the Zip Code Tour. I felt him playing on one song for most of the 50th Anniversary dates (playing inaudible acoustic on Satisfaction doesn't count as playing) was a waste as he had to jump into the show each night, cold, and try to do something with Rambler. Probably not easy for a guy near 70.

But after witnessing the Zip Code show in Buffalo, 'Sober Ronnie' and seemingly Sober Keith were amazing together. Ronnie's solos were great and Keith was equally pushing himself when he went to lead. I had been down on Ronnie and Keith for over a decade, but like monsters from a horror movie, they are BACK.

Even on CYHMK, which I always felt belonged to Taylor and Bobby Keys, and had always sucked live in the Wood era....was phenomenal. I will get slammed for writing this, but I walked away thinking: the current Mick Taylor would not have sounded as good on that song as Ronnie did.

It would be interesting if Taylor was allowed to play the whole show with the band for over two years and then see where he was at.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 18, 2015 22:45

[soundcloud.com]

Mick Taylor plays some minimalistic lead guitar on this version, starting about halfway through. There is a cool video of them playing Brown Sugar together on youtube as well.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 18, 2015 23:46

kleermaker

Exactly my view too - It's Only Rock'n'Roll (But I Like It) is literally the Stones' admission that they have nothing left to say.

Date: July 19, 2015 00:28

A couple interesting quotes from the two Micks: (from timeisonourside)

The idea of the song has to do with our persona at the time. I was getting a bit tired of people having a go, all that oh, it's not as good as their last one business. The single-sleeve had a picture of me with a pen digging into me as if it were a sword. It was a light-harded, anti-journalistic sort of thing. We originally recorded it in Ronnie Wood's demo-studio.

- Mick Jagger, 1993

I like that track It's Only Rock 'n Roll...

- Mick Taylor, 1979

I think the lyrics are some of the best Mick has ever written and his vocal performance really good. I'm still astounded so many folks here dislike the tune and wonder if that dislike came with time or was there when they first heard it? To me is was instantly compelling. But I will admit it was somewhat the beginning of the end......

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:31

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

While I don't especially like this song--and I've never honestly figured out how seriously The Stones took it or wanted us to take it--I agree with NL's "seriously deep groove" remark above. The acoustic guitars on the track create a phenomenally percussive groove. It's almost like a lazy steam locomotive taking its time to build up to full speed. No live version I've ever heard is even listenable.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 19, 2015 01:05

Brstonesfan
It is not even debatable that the Taylor era was the best...
yes it is! I agree there was a golden period from beggars to exile but half of that was recorded without taylor. and i strongly disagree that ghs or iorr were better than some girls or tatoo you. for live? yeah i think 69 was their best ever but i would still rank 75-81 over 72 or 73, so yes it is very debatable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-19 01:17 by Ket.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 19, 2015 01:12

Naturalust

The idea of the song has to do with our persona at the time. I was getting a bit tired of people having a go, all that oh, it's not as good as their last one business. The single-sleeve had a picture of me with a pen digging into me as if it were a sword. It was a light-harded, anti-journalistic sort of thing. We originally recorded it in Ronnie Wood's demo-studio.

- Mick Jagger, 1993

- Mick Taylor, 1979

I think the lyrics are some of the best Mick has ever written and his vocal performance really good. I'm still astounded so many folks here dislike the tune and wonder if that dislike came with time or was there when they first heard it? To me is was instantly compelling. But I will admit it was somewhat the beginning of the end......

Here's another one, [onlyrockandroll.london]

Despite Mick Taylor’s description of the song as a pastiche of a Stones classic It’s Only Rock’n’Roll has gone onto become one of the Stones warhorses, trotted out at innumerable gigs.

He's still figuring it out I guess.smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2015 19:52

kleermaker
buffalo7478
I have never liked Ronnie's live playing with the Stones. I always felt that during the Taylor years, his excellent playing 'pushed' Keith and the band to higher levels. IMHO it is easy to listen to live recordings from 1969 on thru 1973 and hear the band getting better and better. Then we got a rough love band in 1975-76. Anand trying to be punk-like in 1978, Then the no real edge at all in 1981. Though they were pleasant live, there was nothing really being enhanced or created on stage.

I was very let down when I found that Taylor was not going to be part of the Zip Code Tour. I felt him playing on one song for most of the 50th Anniversary dates (playing inaudible acoustic on Satisfaction doesn't count as playing) was a waste as he had to jump into the show each night, cold, and try to do something with Rambler. Probably not easy for a guy near 70.

But after witnessing the Zip Code show in Buffalo, 'Sober Ronnie' and seemingly Sober Keith were amazing together. Ronnie's solos were great and Keith was equally pushing himself when he went to lead. I had been down on Ronnie and Keith for over a decade, but like monsters from a horror movie, they are BACK.

Even on CYHMK, which I always felt belonged to Taylor and Bobby Keys, and had always sucked live in the Wood era....was phenomenal. I will get slammed for writing this, but I walked away thinking: the current Mick Taylor would not have sounded as good on that song as Ronnie did. And Karl on sax, sounded like he belonged.

I went to the show just for nostalgia. A last chance to see the Stones, in my hometown, even though they would probably be sloppy, Keith would be lazy and posing more than playing and Ronnie would sound like shit on all the Taylor-created leads from Sticky Fingers. I expected little. But this show demonstrated that they don't need MT at this point. They just need Keith and Ronnie on their game. With them playing like they did a week ago, they are one formidable guitar band.

I saw them get blown off the stage in 2003 by ACDC. The Stones I saw last week would have blown ANY band off the stage - Taylor not needed.

How does it feel to suddenly see the light and have become Paul instead of Saul? cool smiley

I thought Saul became Slash when he saw the light? confused smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 19, 2015 22:44

buffalo7478

Even on CYHMK, which I always felt belonged to Taylor and Bobby Keys, and had always sucked live in the Wood era....was phenomenal. I will get slammed for writing this, but I walked away thinking: the current Mick Taylor would not have sounded as good on that song as Ronnie did. And Karl on sax, sounded like he belonged.

I went to the show just for nostalgia. A last chance to see the Stones, in my hometown, even though they would probably be sloppy, Keith would be lazy and posing more than playing and Ronnie would sound like shit on all the Taylor-created leads from Sticky Fingers. I expected little. But this show demonstrated that they don't need MT at this point. They just need Keith and Ronnie on their game. With them playing like they did a week ago, they are one formidable guitar band.

I saw them get blown off the stage in 2003 by ACDC. The Stones I saw last week would have blown ANY band off the stage - Taylor not needed.

Bless your heart mate. i could not agree more with every word you said. Total honesty like that is hard to find. Keith and Ronnie did us proud and put the record straight this time round. I would of hated it to end in 2007 with Keith at an all time low like that ..

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2015 23:23

Naturalust
kleermaker
Naturalust

It is shine goot, yeahhh.

Eh, not really.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:24

Naturalust

- Mick Jagger, 1993

- Mick Taylor, 1979

It's a good song.

Understanding the song, IMO is key to understanding latter day (i.e., post-EOMS) Rolling stones.

It's a very clear message, no need to read between the lines.

He's saying:
Rock and Roll is not about changing the world
It's not about revolution
It's not about peace and love
It's not about improving society.
Rock and Roll is about entertainment and having a good time.
(He is also taking about how the audience wants a bigger and bigger piece of him, but that's less important.)

The Stones went from being a dangerous band with an edge to entertainers. Some (perhaps including them) would say that's all they ever were.

They told us what they were going to do, and they did exactly that: they became good-time music and nothing more.

It's just that simple.

Perhaps MT quit because he didn't want to become a Vegas act. Who knows...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 11:27 by Turner68.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:33

a brilliant blues from his 3rd solo album.

[www.youtube.com]

I think that his style here is difficult to emulate but more similiar to Jeff Beck's one than Eric Clapton's one.

Have a nice day.

Date: July 20, 2015 12:33

The most accomplished guitarist the Stones ever had.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:55

LuxuryStones

He must do something with Steve Winwood
Something like that.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 20, 2015 13:37

LuxuryStones

Are you referring to technical accomplishment in particular?

There are many ways in which a guitar player can be accomplished.

Olly.

Date: July 20, 2015 16:53

Olly
LuxuryStones

Are you referring to technical accomplishment in particular?

There are many ways in which a guitar player can be accomplished.

In every way. Talent, I think that's the keyword. He could play anything, maybe lacked discipline though.

Date: July 23, 2015 23:05

Another great contribution coming from Taylor, a bit of fusion, imo. Mick's song:

Date: July 23, 2015 23:26

pepganzo
LuxuryStones

Something like that.

[www.youtube.com]

pepganzo, I'm beginning trust just about everything you say. No doubt Taylor and Mr. Winwood could do some interesting stuff.

I also think Taylor could learn a few things from Warren Haynes about gear and guitar tone. That track made me wonder what Taylor would sound like playing through Warren's rig.

Date: July 24, 2015 01:30

Naturalust
pepganzo
LuxuryStones

Something like that.

pepganzo, I'm beginning trust just about everything you say. No doubt Taylor and Mr. Winwood could do some interesting stuff.

I also think Taylor could learn a few things from Warren Haynes about gear and guitar tone. That track made me wonder what Taylor would sound like playing through Warren's rig.

I don't want to interfere, but although Warren Haynes sound is very good, I tend to hear that Taylors tone is coming straight from his fingers (heart), and Warren Haynes tone relies more on his gear.. not only of course. So in a way you're right, the better Taylor's gear, the better his tone. I don't believe any guitarist could teach Taylor much about tone on the electric though, he was in the league of players like Jeff Beck when it comes to that: Listen to Mick Taylor's solo record 1979, playing Ampeg or Boogie, or his tour with Dylan were Taylor played Musicman amps, and compare it to Jeff Beck's "Wired", or Jeff Beck's "Behind the Veil", for example. Two masters of tone and sound. I'm talking about the past, unfortunately. Taylor's tone was plug and play so to speak, not the player that needed towers of 19 inch equipment etc to give us goosebumps.That's just not the way it worked when it comes to Taylor's sound.

Date: July 24, 2015 03:05

LuxuryStones
Naturalust
pepganzo
LuxuryStones

Something like that.

I don't want to interfere, but although Warren Haynes sound is very good, I tend to hear that Taylors tone is coming straight from his fingers (heart), and Warren Haynes tone relies more on his gear.. not only of course. So in a way you're right, the better Taylor's gear, the better his tone. I don't believe any guitarist could teach Taylor much about tone on the electric though, he was in the league of players like Jeff Beck when it comes to that: Listen to Mick Taylor's solo record 1979, playing Ampeg or Boogie, or his tour with Dylan were Taylor played Musicman amps, and compare it to Jeff Beck's "Wired", or Jeff Beck's "Behind the Veil", for example. Two masters of tone and sound. I'm talking about the past, unfortunately. Taylor's tone was plug and play so to speak, not the player that needed towers of 19 inch equipment etc to give us goosebumps.That's just not the way it worked when it comes to Taylor's sound.

As someone who has heard Taylor solo several times and Gov't Mules live several times I can testify that Taylor has had several problems getting his tone correct while Warren's is amazing from the first few notes.

I don't want to get into a discussion of which guitarist gets better tone from his fingers or heart because I love both guitarists and they each have their own way of approaching the guitar and both are great in that respect, imo..

I just think Warren has probably spent more time checking out the new boutique guitar amps and gear and has really got the Les Paul almost breaking up sound down to a tee while it's possible Taylor hasn't spent the time and energy to do they same. So like I said I'd love to hear Taylor playing through Warren's rig. I'm pretty sure they would have a blast together teaching each other stuff about gear and guitars and tone and approach. To some extent, when you quit learning or wanting to learn, the game is up....one of the reasons Jeff Beck is so amazing, he never quits learning it seems and I'm sure that includes learning from other players too. smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:38

Couple of thoughts on this:

1) For whatever reason, Taylor generally doesn't soundcheck prior to his solo shows. He's also traditionally used a lot of rented amps when playing with his own band.
2) In his glory days, MT had one of the best and most distinctive Les Paul tones around. However, it was basically dependent on a VT40 on the edge of meltdown, and that's just far too loud for most modern stages that the Stones play, let alone the ones he does as a solo artist.
3) Taylor plays 90% straight blues when he's with his own band. So, while I certainly miss the Ampegs, I can understand why he moved towards a more conventional blues-rock tone.
4) Warren strikes me as a real gearhead: you always see him turn up on stage with some new boutique amp and a tonne of different guitars. I don't think Taylor is like that. Other than his Les Pauls, most of the gear he plays is pretty inexpensive - Boss pedals, usually a Hot Rod Deville etc.

Date: July 24, 2015 12:27

Naturalust
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
pepganzo
LuxuryStones

Something like that.

As someone who has heard Taylor solo several times and Gov't Mules live several times I can testify that Taylor has had several problems getting his tone correct while Warren's is amazing from the first few notes.

I don't want to get into a discussion of which guitarist gets better tone from his fingers or heart because I love both guitarists and they each have their own way of approaching the guitar and both are great in that respect, imo..

I just think Warren has probably spent more time checking out the new boutique guitar amps and gear and has really got the Les Paul almost breaking up sound down to a tee while it's possible Taylor hasn't spent the time and energy to do they same. So like I said I'd love to hear Taylor playing through Warren's rig. I'm pretty sure they would have a blast together teaching each other stuff about gear and guitars and tone and approach. To some extent, when you quit learning or wanting to learn, the game is up....one of the reasons Jeff Beck is so amazing, he never quits learning it seems and I'm sure that includes learning from other players too. smoking smiley

Yes, soundcheck. I have seen Taylor several times myself, and basically he adjusted one thing, and that was his volume smiling smiley Still, the sound he had during his Stones years, his own records and with Bob Dylan and John Mayall was great, it influenced countless players. But I get your point, one is never to old to improve (Jeff, Haynes). Like I posted, Taylor probably lacks discipline and I was talking about the past, unfortunately. That's Mick Taylor to me. Over the past decade(s) Taylor generally didn't become a better player nor did he improve his sound. And I even think he's at peace with that.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 24, 2015 14:15

Ket
Brstonesfan
It is not even debatable that the Taylor era was the best...
yes it is! I agree there was a golden period from beggars to exile but half of that was recorded without taylor. and i strongly disagree that ghs or iorr were better than some girls or tatoo you. for live? yeah i think 69 was their best ever but i would still rank 75-81 over 72 or 73, so yes it is very debatable

smileys with beer

It's amazing how one tends to think that the "Golden Four" (or five, if you include Get Yer Ya Ya's out) are the Taylor years. You are absolutely right, the Taylor years comprise of two (/three) of their best albums ever, and two rather mediocre albums.
Similarly the Wood years also comprise of two of their best albums. Of course, the Wood years are about 10 times longer than the Taylor years, but the low quality of their 80's 90's and 0's albums has more to do with the Mick/Keith wars, the fact they all live in different parts of the world, the lack of jamming together, and the fact that as far as guitar based music is concerned, nothing inspiring has been going on since the late 70's, than it has with Taylor's or Wood's input.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 24, 2015 15:23

Mick Taylors effect on the Stones is heavily over-rated. He is just the guy who almost by coincidence was hanging around when Keith and Mick reached their creative peak as a songwriting team. Sticky Fingers and Exile (which of course should have been released as a single album) would be equally great without Mick Taylor. IORR/GHS are two weak and very boring releases, although Taylor is playing on both albums. So if he were indeed the iconic figure in Stones history, these albums should have been far better than they are. Mick Taylor was (maybe still is) a skillful guitar-player, but many others were/are equally/more gifted players. And don´t forget, the Stones took Taylor AFTER asking Ron Wood, who was unfortunately not available at that time. On Live-recordings Taylor bores me to death with his flawless but life-less virtuosity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...151152153154155156157158159160161...LastNext
Current Page: 156 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home