Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:15

Naturalust
RSforever
What about this theory (sorry if somebody else came up with the same before?)

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

...so, what if he actually did get a lawyer, and they sued Stones for missed royalties etc.
At the time Stones were in a coma, although with the 50 coming up, bad publicity from an extended lawsuit would not benefit their intentions.
So, maybe some kind of settlement was made, where MT would instead contribute to the Exile reissue and with a fixed xx number of performances for the 50th, each giving MT reasonable $$ etc to compensate for any loss. Even though Stones really didn't want him there, it would benefit their image for the 50th etc, and MT would agree not to proceed or comment on that matter again etc. After exactly the agreed terms were fulfilled it was goodbye. ...Would at least explain why they brought him along for all those shows even though he wasn't included more, and the abrupt end. ...only another theory.

Quite a stretch, imo. Mick said it was how well his initial appearance went that caused them to decide to include him on the tour. I believe "carry him around the world" or something were his words. I got the feeling they thought they were doing him a big favor by allowing him so many guest spots. Perhaps they were but I don't think they valued the return favor Mick was providing to the music. Some say he wouldn't have made a difference to ticket sales, but everyone I know went to see that tour mostly because it was a chance to see Taylor playing with the Stones again.

peace

When I saw them open the 2013 American Tour in L.A. I had to explain to people who Mick Taylor was when they played Midnight Rambler. They had no idea who he was.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:21

24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

...so, what if he actually did get a lawyer, and they sued Stones for missed royalties etc.
At the time Stones were in a coma, although with the 50 coming up, bad publicity from an extended lawsuit would not benefit their intentions.
So, maybe some kind of settlement was made, where MT would instead contribute to the Exile reissue and with a fixed xx number of performances for the 50th, each giving MT reasonable $$ etc to compensate for any loss. Even though Stones really didn't want him there, it would benefit their image for the 50th etc, and MT would agree not to proceed or comment on that matter again etc. After exactly the agreed terms were fulfilled it was goodbye. ...Would at least explain why they brought him along for all those shows even though he wasn't included more, and the abrupt end. ...only another theory.
Quite a stretch, imo. Mick said it was how well his initial appearance went that caused them to decide to include him on the tour. I believe "carry him around the world" or something were his words. I got the feeling they thought they were doing him a big favor by allowing him so many guest spots. Perhaps they were but I don't think they valued the return favor Mick was providing to the music. Some say he wouldn't have made a difference to ticket sales, but everyone I know went to see that tour mostly because it was a chance to see Taylor playing with the Stones again.

peace
When I saw them open the 2013 American Tour in L.A. I had to explain to people who Mick Taylor was when they played Midnight Rambler. They had no idea who he was.
I think 24FPS has stumbled onto why MT has been MIA...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 02:25

HearMeKnockin
24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

absolutely.
i know many stones fans (life long fans, own 5 or more albums) who haven't mentioned his absence from this tour once. the only complaint i've heard about it is on this board.

and there's no way it made a difference to ticket sales, as the sales for this tour have shown.

none of this is to take away from MT's talent. life just isn't fair.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 4, 2015 03:07

HearMeKnockin
24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

Well 24FPS All I can conclude is that the people sitting next to you whom you had to explain who Mick Taylor was were just plain ignorant. In the musical circles I run with he is not only very well known but looked upon as the best thing that ever happened to the Stones. Look at the Classic Rock best Stones guitarist poll and ask yourself if people who follow rock know who he is. I don't mean to be antagonistic here but people who don't know who Mick Taylor is probably couldn't tell you the drummer or the previous bass players names either. Almost every review and article about that tour mentioned Taylor.

I know you are just making a point about your experience but you obviously knew who he was. I think his participation did indeed draw alot of musician types to the Stones shows, at least in California. Yeah, they probably would have sold out anyway but I like to think the quality of the audience was somewhat improved. smoking smiley

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 03:19

Naturalust
HearMeKnockin
24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

Well 24FPS All I can conclude is that the people sitting next to you whom you had to explain who Mick Taylor was were just plain ignorant. In the musical circles I run with he is not only very well known but looked upon as the best thing that ever happened to the Stones. Look at the Classic Rock best Stones guitarist poll and ask yourself if people who follow rock know who he is. I don't mean to be antagonistic here but people who don't know who Mick Taylor is probably couldn't tell you the drummer or the previous bass players names either. Almost every review and article about that tour mentioned Taylor.

I know you are just making a point about your experience but you obviously knew who he was. I think his participation did indeed draw alot of musician types to the Stones shows, at least in California. Yeah, they probably would have sold out anyway but I like to think the quality of the audience was somewhat improved. smoking smiley

peace

have your friends considered the possibility that anita pallenberg was the best thing to happen to the stones? just to make sure they considered all the angles...

Date: June 4, 2015 03:20

Turner68

i know many stones fans (life long fans, own 5 or more albums) who haven't mentioned his absence from this tour once. the only complaint i've heard about it is on this board.

Well we are generally bit more discriminating on this board that the typical fan with 5 or more albums. But I'd bet the majority of those 5 albums are the ones with Taylor on them. winking smiley

Admittedly, it is rather easy not to notice someone's absence after they've been gone 40 years and only show up for one or two songs a night when invited back.

Of course not all Stones fan care about Mick Taylor, but I'm pretty sure it's clear by now that I do. I also love and support the current line up so it all balances out.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 03:24

Naturalust, I kind of agree, but as an 18-year-old student, I'd like to add some perspective:

I own 2 Stones shirts: 1 of 19th Nervous Breakdown, 1 from the "Some Girls" era. Obviously, neither is from the MT era.

On days when I wear the 19th one, I get no compliments (except from my best friend a couple times).

One day when I wore the Some Girls one, though, several people complimented my shirt.

So my inference is that young Stoners are more in touch with latter-day Stones (read: post-MT) so it is quite possible that don't know MT at all... heck, they probably couldn't pick Ronnie out of a line-up, or Charlie. So this may be the future we're staring down here...

Date: June 4, 2015 03:41

HearMeKnockin
Naturalust, I kind of agree, but as an 18-year-old student, I'd like to add some perspective:

I own 2 Stones shirts: 1 of 19th Nervous Breakdown, 1 from the "Some Girls" era. Obviously, neither is from the MT era.

On days when I wear the 19th one, I get no compliments (except from my best friend a couple times).

One day when I wore the Some Girls one, though, several people complimented my shirt.

So my inference is that young Stoners are more in touch with latter-day Stones (read: post-MT) so it is quite possible that don't know MT at all... heck, they probably couldn't pick Ronnie out of a line-up, or Charlie. So this may be the future we're staring down here...

Well then I suggest you immediately get yourself a MT era T-Shirt and start getting not only compliments but getting laid too. smoking smiley

I'm still not too worried because following the musical trail will bring these young Stoners to MT eventually and once there the music will speak for itself. I only hope the new young crowd reads album credits like the older crowd does. I'd hate to see Ronnie get perceived credit for Taylor's hard work. I haven't really forgiven iTunes for not including this information on so many downloads and I do know it's harder to search this stuff out now that printed "product" is becoming less and less of the musical experience.

Thanks for your perspective though HearMeKnockin, I assume from your name you know a bit about the guitarist who played on that tune.

peace

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: June 4, 2015 04:33

24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

Let me guess tbey were 50 years or younger. No one who listens to stones music would have to ask who Taylor was.

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: June 4, 2015 04:43

I have 12 friends....we were all willingly fleeced of $600 per ticket to see MT as part of the Stones. We saw only a few songs.

We will not be going to any shows on this tour. We have been to hundreds of shows over the last 40 years. Seeing MT come back was worth it. Without MT they are kind of a Vegas act - all choreographed.

When Taylor left the Stones it was a tragedy and by the 1973 tour he was starting to be viewed as one of the preeminent guitarists globally. He went from stones wunderkid in 1969 to having his own gravitas by the last tour.

I along with my friends - many of them who are musicians and some of them career guitarists put Taylor in the same breath as Page, Beck, Clapton and Hendrix. Because he is now fat, meek, post drug addicted human doesn't mean certain fans should take him for granted as clearly now the Stones are.

Taylor has a certain fluidity to his play that stands out versus many of the great guitarists in the world including Hendrix. He amazingly blends blues with Jazz fluidity in a Rock and Roll delivery. It is sad his meekness has exacerbated his life's journey.

But to the fan that was choking on his corn flakes over the comparisons to the talent level of Hendrix - don't eat the flakes without proper almond milk and listen to more primal taylor. Just because MT didn't wear a fedora, trip acid and fire burn his guitar doesn't mean he can't be viewed as having a similar level of talent. All that glitters is not gold.

Date: June 4, 2015 04:43

Getondown
24FPS

Let me guess tbey were 50 years or younger. No one who listens to stones music would have to ask who Taylor was.

Pretty sure it was these two sitting next to 24FPS. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 05:08

Getondown

But to the fan that was choking on his corn flakes over the comparisons to the talent level of Hendrix - don't eat the flakes without proper almond milk and listen to more primal taylor. Just because MT didn't wear a fedora, trip acid and fire burn his guitar doesn't mean he can't be viewed as having a similar level of talent. All that glitters is not gold.

I'm the choking cornflakes guy.

In my book, anyone who eats his cornflakes with almond milk is not to trusted in a discussion of guitarists!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:07

24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

That's so sad. When I took my 16 year old non-rock fan daughter to see them in Paris, she knew who he was. I asked her how she knew and she said she had read the Stones' bio in Wikipedia before the show, adding "and the bass player also quit, right?"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:10

drbryant
24FPS
Naturalust
RSforever

Remember this?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

peace

That's so sad. When I took my 16 year old non-rock fan daughter to see them in Paris, she knew who he was. I asked her how she knew and she said she had read the Stones' bio in Wikipedia before the show, adding "and the bass player also quit, right?"

Great, smart kid you've got drbryant! Nice little story.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:15

Getondown
I have 12 friends....we were all willingly fleeced of $600 per ticket to see MT as part of the Stones. We saw only a few songs.

We will not be going to any shows on this tour. We have been to hundreds of shows over the last 40 years. Seeing MT come back was worth it. Without MT they are kind of a Vegas act - all choreographed.

When Taylor left the Stones it was a tragedy and by the 1973 tour he was starting to be viewed as one of the preeminent guitarists globally. He went from stones wunderkid in 1969 to having his own gravitas by the last tour.

I along with my friends - many of them who are musicians and some of them career guitarists put Taylor in the same breath as Page, Beck, Clapton and Hendrix. Because he is now fat, meek, post drug addicted human doesn't mean certain fans should take him for granted as clearly now the Stones are.

Taylor has a certain fluidity to his play that stands out versus many of the great guitarists in the world including Hendrix. He amazingly blends blues with Jazz fluidity in a Rock and Roll delivery. It is sad his meekness has exacerbated his life's journey.

Right on brother!!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:21

Naturalust
Getondown
24FPS

Pretty sure it was these two sitting next to 24FPS. grinning smiley

peace
I have been to a Allman show where people sitting next to me thought Haynes was Betts. Some of us are not excited about tribute bands. Half a RS show features Taylor's era. There should be more older stuff. Other than S and JJF they have turned their back on older stuff. Even SFD mimics Taylor and KR Ya Ya interplay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 16:23 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:39

Wow 113 pages. My own 2 cents - I am in Australia. Seen the Stones only half a dozen times here in Australia plus London and Dublin aswell. I paid more than $1000 for 2 tickets to see them on the recent visit to Sydney to see Midnight Rambler. Not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the show, and not to say I don't respect/admire the rest of the band. I am a Stones nutjob since I first got interested in music. MJ is untouchable as a frontman, KR is untouchable as a rocknroll song writer and rhythm guitar goliath. Rocks Off is perfection to me. Keith is a genius. Charlie's snare and Bill's bass feel like they're imprinted on my DNA. As for Ronnie - I have more solo Stones albums of his than any others, have seen him play solo live, love the guy, am a huge Faces fan. So to me it's not about MT vs anyone else. It was incredibly gracious for Ronnie and the rest of them to bring MT on tour.
But, having said that - why the F*CK was he only on Midnight Rambler, surely it can't be any lack of ability on his part, see the videos of Ronnie and MT playing Jimmy Reed. Too hard for 3 guitarists to work their sh*t out? Maybe...but it's not that hard? I play guitar...it's not brain surgery. Me and my crappy amateur mates could work it out. These guys are seasoned professionals at the top of the tree, I cannot buy the excuse that it was too hard to intergate a 3rd guitar player. All I really want is to find out why his participation was gradually increased then very quickly slashed to 1 song. Satisfaction doesn't count. What happened? That is the big question to me, if he's not on this tour to play one song, who cares? Why was he a sideshow curiosity? Just get out and play Mick, let the world see what you can do...

Date: June 4, 2015 17:22

Getondown

Not sure if it was your intention but somehow you managed to insult Taylor, Hendrix and the Stones in your post. Quite an accomplishment. If all you see in Hendrix is a fedora wearing, acid tripping guitar burner I suggest you close your eyes and just listen. How can you expect anyone to trust your judgement on the Stones or Mick Taylor? I'm just going to assume your almond milk has fermented and what you meant to say was "Taylor is great and why I went to see the Stones".

peace

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:38

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker

Another interesting moment is when Keith shouts Taylor down when he's adding some melodic licks to the Tumbling Dice riff at the end of the song instead of reinforcing the riff.

How did Taylor react?

Here you have it, you lazy bastard smiling smiley

See between 3:00 and 3:20, read Keith's lips at about 3:10 and observe Taylor's reaction yourself.

i don't see nuttin

Date: June 4, 2015 22:43

Naturalust
Getondown

Not sure if it was your intention but somehow you managed to insult Taylor, Hendrix and the Stones in your post. Quite an accomplishment. If all you see in Hendrix is a fedora wearing, acid tripping guitar burner I suggest you close your eyes and just listen. How can you expect anyone to trust your judgement on the Stones or Mick Taylor? I'm just going to assume your almond milk has fermented and what you meant to say was "Taylor is great and why I went to see the Stones".

peace

lol excellent post naturalist.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:11

Just saw the Rolling Stone article which mentions Taylor's "notable absence." Keith and Ron Wood's comments are typical:

Keith: "Mick Taylor is a shadow man, he comes and goes". Um, thanks Keith. WTF does that mean?

Wood: " I play the Taylor-made parts." Yeah - badly. And this: "It's less complicated for me to play them just with Keith." Yeah, less complicated, and not as good. You know what would be even less complicated, Ronnie? If Taylor played the "Taylor-made parts" just with Keith and you weren't there to muck them up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 23:13 by 71Tele.

Date: June 4, 2015 23:35

71Tele
Just saw the Rolling Stone article which mentions Taylor's "notable absence." Keith and Ron Wood's comments are typical:

Keith: "Mick Taylor is a shadow man, he comes and goes". Um, thanks Keith. WTF does that mean?

Wood: " I play the Taylor-made parts." Yeah - badly. And this: "It's less complicated for me to play them just with Keith." Yeah, less complicated, and not as good. You know what would be even less complicated, Ronnie? If Taylor played the "Taylor-made parts" just with Keith and you weren't there to muck them up.

Let's just hope the shadow man comes again sometime soon before it's too late. I wonder if Keith had that answer ready made for the next person to ask him about Taylor?

Where have all these people who find it so prudent to talk about "Taylor's noticeable absence" been for the last 40 years? Not that I disagree with them, it's just pretty amazing that a guy can come out and do one song with the Stones on a long tour, after being gone for decades, and suddenly everyone who writes about them is profoundly noticing his absence. It's obviously not just a Sticky Fingers thing.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 23:38

71Tele

They are both playing "Taylor-parts". Pretty much shared 50/50.

GS, SFTD, Satisfaction and others have an extended Keith solo. Songs people call "Taylor-songs", because his live solos.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:49

71Tele

That was some stupid comments by both Ronnie and Keith. Geez.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:50

Getondown
I have 12 friends....

[cue blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah]

because MT didn't wear a fedora, trip acid and fire burn his guitar doesn't mean he can't be viewed as having a similar level of talent. All that glitters is not gold.

You certainly have a way with words... I mean typing typing so much to express so little. Good job! thumbs up
Writing Hendrix was just about LSD fedoras or Marshall amps cranked to 10 is as "clever" as writing Orson Wells was just about black clothes, cigars and scales pushed to their limit. grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2015 23:51

71Tele

I think Keith is confusing Mick Taylor for Ruby Tuesday ("No one knows,/She comes and goes" ).

And thanks for preaching the truth 71Tele. smileys with beer

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:52

That may be indeed true, DP, but not germane to the context of the quotes. Ronnie was specifically talking about playing Taylor's parts.

Not sure what Keith was talking about exactly, but he did mention going into the studio after the tour. That quote could have been in any article from the last 20 years, Lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 23:57 by 71Tele.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:54

<<Wood: " I play the Taylor-made parts.".... "It's less complicated for me to play them just with Keith.">>

I'd like to see him [with Keith] having a go at Time Waits For No One, which is truly Taylor-made.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 23:54

Rolling Stone article

One notable absence was former guitarist Mick Taylor, a key collaborator at the original Sticky Fingers sessions. In 2012, nearly 40 years after quitting the Stones, Taylor returned as a guest on their 50 and Counting Tour, but he won't be appearing on this run. "Mick Taylor is a shadow, man – he comes and he goes," says Richards. Adds Wood, "I play the Taylor-made parts, as I call them. In a way, it's less complicated to play with just Keith."

But first, the band is mulling a possible South American tour this fall. "I'm looking at what the options are," says Jagger. "We haven't etched it in stone." One thing's for sure: Retirement is still firmly off the table. "I feel pretty good, actually," he says. "Sometimes at the beginning of these tours, you feel a bit achy. But I'm in good shape. It's all about avoiding being injured. You've just got to watch it and not overdo it, and you should be able to do it for a little bit longer." Jagger laughs. "It's like being on some dreadful football team!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 23:57 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:10

Keef says that Mick Taylor is a Shadow ? That's @#$%& awesome news,
Hank and Bruce could do with livening things up for theirs and Cliff's 60th Anniversary in 2018. Maybe they can get Wyman in on bass to replace the dead Jet Harris and do a version of Cliff's 1965 hit Blue Turns To Grey complete with 15 minute guitar solo just to show Keef and Ron how it's done with three guitarists.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home