Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...105106107108109110111112113114115...LastNext
Current Page: 110 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 1, 2015 23:17

duke richardson
just want to say Im really enjoying listening to this, at work today..

and thanks..

the tone of the band, especially Jagger's snarling mode of singing then, was so different..
so mean and nasty-sounding.

miss Bobby Keys though..

My present to Ronnie on his B-day

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: June 2, 2015 03:21

This Mick Taylor going Ganghem Style - Shanghai Rambler around 4:30 mark. He probably said @#$%& It..... Brenda probably wasn't happy.... he wouldn't know a hot jam if it was put on his morning toast...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 03:21 by Getondown.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 03:29

Getondown
This Mick Taylor going Ganghem Style - Shanghai Rambler around 4:30 mark. He probably said @#$%& It..... Brenda probably wasn't happy.... he wouldn't know a hot jam if it was put on his morning toast...

[www.youtube.com]

Damn that was actually way cool. That tone was probably so good live even Taylor had to milk it a while. No friggin' doubt he brought an element of unexpected excitement to the Stones music on the last tour. Can you just imagine what he could have done if he would have been allowed to properly warm up and play the whole show?

peace

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 04:59

duke richardson
just want to say Im really enjoying listening to this, at work today..

and thanks..

the tone of the band, especially Jagger's snarling mode of singing then, was so different..
so mean and nasty-sounding.

miss Bobby Keys though..

Okayyy!....Had to stay on the computer for a couple hours work and took your advice...Just great!

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:02

I'm hoping the Rolling Stones bring back Taylor permanently to replace that doofus who fronts for Keith's band.

(Just kidding, I love ya, Mick Jagger) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:16

Naturalust
Getondown

[www.youtube.com]

Damn that was actually way cool. That tone was probably so good live even Taylor had to milk it a while. No friggin' doubt he brought an element of unexpected excitement to the Stones music on the last tour. Can you just imagine what he could have done if he would have been allowed to properly warm up and play the whole show?

peace
The good old days. Splendid version, Taylor, one of rock's last great improvisers

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 2, 2015 13:45

Getondown

[www.youtube.com]

H o l y f - c k! Awesome!!! God damn. Bring back Mr Taylor and let him loose.

Date: June 2, 2015 13:47

Seem the "boring" Mick Taylor turned out to be the only one with some rock n roll attitude.

Date: June 2, 2015 13:49

Naturalust
Getondown

[www.youtube.com]

peace

Exactly. He could save numbers like Dice, JJF, BS.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 2, 2015 13:57

Getondown
he wouldn't know a hot jam if it was put on his morning toast...

>grinning smiley<

Oh well - he just don't have that much. smoking smiley

EDIT: I hope people here wil forgive me this reference from the post-Taylor area in this MT shrine-like thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 13:59 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: June 2, 2015 16:09

Taylor is close to some verison of Machine Gun (Hendrix) during that feedback.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:25

Getondown

[www.youtube.com]

The above is my fav MR since Taylor came back, exciting dangerous, swagger, attitude, quality musicianship, smoking hot band = great experience/elevated band&audience smiling smiley

Compare and contrast with this from the last Stones gig
[www.youtube.com]

don't watch, just listen to them both and have a little cry at how they prefer (for whatever reason..) playing MR etc like this now.

I wrote this below in the last gig sticky on hearing it. kinda sums up my thoughts on this best

a vacuous mess sorely missing a guitar player who can play lead guitar. musically dire compared to the last few years. Needs dropping and a replaced with a song. Stones cant mix it up anymore on their own goin off the few MR post Taylor.

Date: June 2, 2015 16:27

I just listened to the clip Crawdaddy posted of MR from Columbus (audio only).

It was excellent, as always.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:45

Date: June 2, 2015 16:09

Taylor is close to some verison of Machine Gun (Hendrix) during that feedback.

Yes its amazing at Taylor's age of 66 - he still has the magic to conjure up Jimi Hendrix attack on machine gun with his performance on MR - that is why you go to a live SHOW and hope something magical happens but with no MT - there is no magic with the guitars - only MJ performance with his dancing,strutting can replace that big void.Some times when I watch these you tube videos I cringe and think MJ is there all by himself on stage.

play the guitar boy.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:13

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
Of course it's satire

A thought that came to me: why are highly acclaimed solo guitar players rather poor song writers?

There's a long line of guitar players who did fine when they could play other people's
music (yeah, you too, Jimmy Page), but once on their own they don't succeed in writing
good songs that move the masses. Maybe it is that groove and rhythme are more important
when it comes to writing a song than a melody per se?

A few exceptions (as always):

Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Clarence White

My theory:

People have different ways of expressing themselves, as well as different creative skills. Instrumental expressionists may put the effort down in expressing themselves, rather than making something that puts the whole in the foreground.

Or they don't have the patience required to make a song.

I agree. However, the difference between JH and Mick T is also that he was a great showman on stage. And EC was/is a better singer than Mick. If he was not, he would never get as far as a solo artist as he did, because he is not a showman, just like Mick T. Mick reminds me a lot of Roy Buchanan in some ways, except that Roy is porobably even more obscure, as he did not play in any famous rock band. Jaw-droppingly good guitarist, average songwriter (best on instrumentals, which are fabulous), but unfortunately had a weak singing voice and was very introverted on stage (unless you looked at his hands doing all sorts of tricks with that old Tele of his.
So I think it is a sum of all these factors.

On a side note, a song, which fits Mick T perfectly on all accounts is Blind Willie McTell by Dylan. One of my favourite covers of Dylan ever, right there with the most famous ones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 17:16 by Poetry.

Date: June 2, 2015 17:22

Poetry
DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk
Of course it's satire

A thought that came to me: why are highly acclaimed solo guitar players rather poor song writers?

There's a long line of guitar players who did fine when they could play other people's
music (yeah, you too, Jimmy Page), but once on their own they don't succeed in writing
good songs that move the masses. Maybe it is that groove and rhythme are more important
when it comes to writing a song than a melody per se?

A few exceptions (as always):

Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Clarence White

My theory:

People have different ways of expressing themselves, as well as different creative skills. Instrumental expressionists may put the effort down in expressing themselves, rather than making something that puts the whole in the foreground.

Or they don't have the patience required to make a song.

I agree. However, the difference between JH and Mick T is also that he was a great showman on stage. And EC was/is a better singer than Mick. If he was not, he would never get as far as a solo artist as he did, because he is not a showman, just like Mick T. Mick reminds me a lot of Roy Buchanan in some ways, except that Roy is porobably even more obscure, as he did not play in any famous rock band. Jaw-droppingly good guitarist, average songwriter (best on instrumentals, which are fabulous), but unfortunately had a weak singing voice and was very introverted on stage (unless you looked at his hands doing all sorts of tricks with that old Tele of his.
So I think it is a sum of all these factors.

On a side note, a song, which fits Mick T perfectly on all accounts is Blind Willie McTell by Dylan. One of my favourite covers of Dylan ever, right there with the most famous ones.

Well said.

We should of course also add David Gilmour to that list..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:35

Poetry

the difference between JH and Mick T is also that he was a great showman on stage.

Imo the difference is MT is a talented guitarist while Hendrix was a genius!
Listen to any live tape from Jimi and you'll be amazed by the creativityhe displayed on the spot.
It's as if like Mozart there was direct connection between the mind and the instrument.
MT is talented but not at that level.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:39

dcba
Poetry

the difference between JH and Mick T is also that he was a great showman on stage.

Imo the difference is MT is a talented guitarist while Hendrix was a genius!
Listen to any live tape from Jimi and you'll be amazed by the creativityhe displayed on the spot.
It's as if like Mozart there was direct connection between the mind and the instrument.
MT is talented but not at that level.

Spot on. Jimi was a great songwriter too.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:47

Did Jimi ever guest with any Stones?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:55

I believe the main difference between Hendrix and Taylor is not in the guitar department, but in terms of songwriting, vocals, stage persona, charisma, etc.

Even Ronnie Wood is a better solo artist than MT, in my opinion, because he has written good songs and is a more extroverted stage artist. In terms of singing, I would say Woody and Taylor are on pretty much the same level.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:03

Mick is still "floating" around...

EDIT - Picture from the 2014 show in Paris.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 23:34 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:22

gotdablouse

Please tell me that photo isn't from Columbus or San Diego?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:25

^ Hey, how about that? Maybe there are plans in the works to have him as a special guest not for the tour, but rather for a single show.

Date: June 2, 2015 22:38

Pretty sure that is a picture from the last tour.

I have a peculiar feeling though that Taylor will indeed be invited back for the European shows in 2016. Possibly one reason why we have heard precious little from him. I can truly imagine he will be rewarded for his silent prudence!

I hate to get expectations and have them blown, but there are many reasons why this could still work. I hope MT actually contacts them and asks to be included! I mean even the Stones are probably a tad bit uninspired by their repetitive playing of the same tunes, what could be more fun and exciting than including Taylor again at this point?

Ever optimistic.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:57

LieB
I believe the main difference between Hendrix and Taylor is not in the guitar department, but in terms of songwriting, vocals, stage persona, charisma, etc.

Even Ronnie Wood is a better solo artist than MT, in my opinion, because he has written good songs and is a more extroverted stage artist. In terms of singing, I would say Woody and Taylor are on pretty much the same level.

you really should listen to jimi some more. i don't think you've fully experienced his guitar work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 22:57 by Turner68.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:02

Stoneburst
gotdablouse

Please tell me that photo isn't from Columbus or San Diego?

Oh yeah... I remember...eye popping smiley Mick T. waiting in the wings. It's from last year or 2013. Time flies and it waits for no one. Telling a lot.
I'm playing SWAY and CYHM KNOCKING from LA, may 20, 2013 for the second time in a row this evening. I downloaded it today from the Hot Stuff link on IORR and put it on two CD's, little coverart printed for myself. Thanks a lot Gotdablouse!!!

Date: June 2, 2015 23:22

RipThisBone
Oh yeah... I remember...eye popping smiley Mick T. waiting in the wings. It's from last year or 2013. Time flies and it waits for no one. Telling a lot.
I'm playing SWAY and CYHM KNOCKING from LA, may 20, 2013 for the second time in a row this evening. I downloaded it today from the Hot Stuff link on IORR and put it on two CD's, little coverart printed for myself. Thanks a lot Gotdablouse!!!

Excellent name for a new MT tune by the way.

peace

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:24

DoomandGloom
Did Jimi ever guest with any Stones?

There's some footage were you can see Taylor playing with Hendrix, backstage, 1969. No audio, unfortunately.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:33

Sorry I didn't mean to imply it was from the current tour, yes it's from last year, from the Paris show, almost 12 months ago now...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 2, 2015 23:40

Turner68
LieB

you really should listen to jimi some more. i don't think you've fully experienced his guitar work.

thumbs down I don't like "the experience" of Jimi Hendrix and his special pedal effects. I prefer Rory Gallagher.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...105106107108109110111112113114115...LastNext
Current Page: 110 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home