Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: May 26, 2015 01:52

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Both versions were highlights of the show. MM as well. It makes no sense to try to degrade those versions, as we heard them in good quality via an audio stream.

Let's move on to Taylor. How about that solo album with great songs and a really good band? I'd like to hear that. Taylor getting the space he needs to express himself properly.

Okay.

But I disagree totally with you concerning those 'highlights' (though I must say Jagger and Chuck didn't a bad job on MM) and I compared those two songs with the same sort of videos from the previous world tour. They just showed me the staggering difference in quality.

I was talking about the reviews and the people who were at the show, regarding highlights.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:54

DandelionPowderman
Both versions were highlights of the show. MM as well. It makes no sense to try to degrade those versions, as we heard them in good quality via an audio stream.

Let's move on to Taylor. How about that solo album with great songs and a really good band? I'd like to hear that. Taylor getting the space he needs to express himself properly.

He could do a "40 and counting" tour this year to commemorate 40 years of his solo career post-Stones? I would go see him.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:00

georgelicks
Whats the real reason about the absence of MT this tour?
I don't get it really, they are playing the same setlist type since 2012, and from yesterday show, MT played on 4 songs on this tour: CYHMK, Slipping Away, MR and Satisfaction.
Its a mystery to me.

Go back a few pages….

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:01

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

He could do a "40 and counting" tour this year to commemorate 40 years of his solo career post-Stones? I would go see him.

He'll be coming to a small bar near you soon...

Posted by: MaryPoppins ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:25

wnere can I find MT on Twitter?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:11

MaryPoppins
Is he even on the Twitter?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:12

DandelionPowderman

Good time for a followup to Stones Throw. In the model of the last few Jeff Beck albums where they get a guest vocalist or two to sing for 2-3 of the songs. Then half of his album could be instrumental and MT sings 2-3 himself. Get a good production, have a few top-tier veterans help out on a track or two, etc.

Totally unlikely, but just as fun, would be to pair him with a producer who takes his music into a modern sphere, like Jeff Beck's Who Else or Steve Hackett's Out of the Tunnels Mouth, or Bill Nelson's many instrumental albums.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:19

roller99
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Nasty...I think thay's called 'piling on'....feel better?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:21

MaryPoppins

where can I find the H in your word wnere?

Date: May 26, 2015 04:25

palerider22
roller99
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

nothing wrong with playing small bars.

Date: May 26, 2015 04:34

Turner68
palerider22
roller99
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Darn right about that. Some of my all time favorite shows have been when a great artist worthy of playing stadium plays in a small bar.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:36

He's not the kind of guy that would do it, but it would be interesting for him to tour the same album, follow the group around in a sense, playing small shows.

Date: May 26, 2015 04:43

Leonioid
Turner68
palerider22
roller99
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Darn right about that. Some of my all time favorite shows have been when a great artist worthy of playing stadium plays in a small bar.

A few nights before the Stones played Chicago in 1989 there was a rumor they'd show up at Buddy Guy's club. The impromptu Checkerboard gig they played with Muddy Waters in 1981 was still in everyone's memory. We went to the small bar that Buddy had and watched him put on a killer show for 2 plus hours. He was great, and the show was great. Well past midnight Ron Wood stopped by and hung out in a roped-off VIP section and listened for about half an hour and then left. He came and went in such a way as to not interrupt Buddy more than his fame necessitated.

There really is nothing wrong with playing small bars, and in this world talent has very little to do with who gets to play the small bars and who plays the stadiums. It was nice of Ronnie to not only stop by, but also allow Buddy to use his and the Stones name to pull in a larger crowd and win over new fans.

I'm sure if Mick T were to tour the Stones name would help him immensely and now that the hatchets have been buried the likes of Keith and Ronnie would stop by and lend support from time to time too, just like they did with Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy.

I was serious when I said MT should tour and that I would go see him.

Date: May 26, 2015 04:47

Turner68
Leonioid
Turner68
palerider22
roller99
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

A few nights before the Stones played Chicago in 1989 there was a rumor they'd show up at Buddy Guy's club. The impromptu Checkerboard gig they played with Muddy Waters in 1981 was still in everyone's memory. We went to the small bar that Buddy had and watched him put on a killer show for 2 plus hours. He was great, and the show was great. Well past midnight Ron Wood stopped by and hung out in a roped-off VIP section and listened for about half an hour and then left. He came and went in such a way as to not interrupt Buddy more than his fame necessitated.

There really is nothing wrong with playing small bars, and in this world talent has very little to do with who gets to play the small bars and who plays the stadiums. It was nice of Ronnie to not only stop by, but also allow Buddy to use his and the Stones name to pull in a larger crowd and win over new fans.

I'm sure if Mick T were to tour the Stones name would help him immensely and now that the hatchets have been buried the likes of Keith and Ronnie would stop by and lend support from time to time too, just like they did with Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy.

I was serious when I said MT should tour and that I would go see him.

I would go see him too. I have tried to see him before, but he canceled. I flew to LA and part of the rerason for the trip was to see him play at the Santa Monica pier, but it was canceled.

Date: May 26, 2015 06:21

Lol, good question!

Date: May 26, 2015 06:24

He should DEFINITELY tour! I'd pay to see him and the price would surely be cheaper than if he played with Stones.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 26, 2015 08:05

Listening to the live songs on disc 2 of the Sticky Fingers release now, and loving some Taylor with the Stones. It's like the Stones are the cake and Taylor is the sprinkles on top. Wish they would surprise me with some sprinkles in Nashville on this tour. If not I'm happy with the cake smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:03

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker

Another interesting moment is when Keith shouts Taylor down when he's adding some melodic licks to the Tumbling Dice riff at the end of the song instead of reinforcing the riff.

How did Taylor react, did he even notice it?

Here you have it, you lazy bastard smiling smiley

See between 3:00 and 3:20, read Keith's lips at about 3:10 and observe Taylor's reaction yourself.

IC, he finishes the melodic line, about 6 seconds, and than plays along
with Richards and Wyman. He should have shouted "@#$%& you" and have doubled the amount of notes. This ending of the song is utterly boring and too predictable.

Exactly my thoughts.

But during the 1973 tour he did it his way (one of the best live Stones songs ever performed):

edited.

And both versions are great.

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:16

Honestly I can't listen to that 1973 version of Tumbling Dice, simply because of Taylor. He just plays over everything. And it's a shame, because the rest of the band (especially Bill and Charlie) sound great here.

Date: May 26, 2015 09:18

Yes but thats the mix with Taylors solos fills too high. You cant hear Keith on it.

I posted a video of Cant you hear me knokin in the San Diego thread 2015 (without the horrible Taylor who ruins everything).

Date: May 26, 2015 10:54

Which one was yours, Carpet? «1bionicleking's» or «Millerviller's»?

Did you really go to SD?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 26, 2015 13:32

Redhotcarpet
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker

Another interesting moment is when Keith shouts Taylor down when he's adding some melodic licks to the Tumbling Dice riff at the end of the song instead of reinforcing the riff.

How did Taylor react, did he even notice it?

Here you have it, you lazy bastard smiling smiley

See between 3:00 and 3:20, read Keith's lips at about 3:10 and observe Taylor's reaction yourself.

IC, he finishes the melodic line, about 6 seconds, and than plays along
with Richards and Wyman. He should have shouted "@#$%& you" and have doubled the amount of notes. This ending of the song is utterly boring and too predictable.

Exactly my thoughts.

But during the 1973 tour he did it his way (one of the best live Stones songs ever performed):

edited.
(

And both versions are great.

Of course they are. Never been better.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 13:32 by LuxuryStones.

Date: May 26, 2015 13:56

DandelionPowderman

Did you really go to SD?

No of course not. I didnt film those videos. They were uploaded on youtube.

Date: May 26, 2015 14:20

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Did you really go to SD?

No of course not. I didnt film those videos. They were uploaded on youtube.

OK, I misread you. Thought you posted a video you had filmed..

Date: May 26, 2015 14:51

Listening to Taylor on vinyl now:

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:57

MaryPoppins
He should DEFINITELY tour! I'd pay to see him

Imo he should cash in on the 2012-14 years and play a set heavy on Stones tunes : Winter Sway plus the songs he played regularly in the past : LIV CYHMK SBDown. And why not MMile?
Back in Paris 2014 he rehearsed MM with the Stones and I remember him soloing nicely on this song.

Date: May 26, 2015 15:29

Taylor solo is pointless. He is famous for his part in the Golden Era of the Stones.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:41

dcba
MaryPoppins
He should DEFINITELY tour! I'd pay to see him

Imo he should cash in on the 2012-14 years and play a set heavy on Stones tunes : Winter Sway plus the songs he played regularly in the past : LIV CYHMK SBDown. And why not MMile?
Back in Paris 2014 he rehearsed MM with the Stones and I remember him soloing nicely on this song.

That would be a great idea and he would get quite some attention if he did. But maybe he prefers having a good time biking around, playing with his cat at home and all that kind of things, not being occupied by all kind of duties.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:46

IMO he would benefit from working with someone like Carla Olsen, but with a higher profile - someone who writes great songs, who's happy to do old Stones tunes and blues standards as a showcase for him, and who'll basically save him from the hassle of being a band leader, a role in which he's never seemed comfortable. Where did the rumours about an MT/Rich Robinson collaboration come from? Whatever happens, I think he needs a new project. Going back to touring behind the same tired setlist he played for years prior to 2012 is a surefire way to kill whatever momentum he now has (and yes, the irony here isn't lost on me).

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:51

Stoneburst
IMO he would benefit from working with someone like Carla Olsen, but with a higher profile - someone who writes great songs, who's happy to do old Stones tunes and blues standards as a showcase for him, and who'll basically save him from the hassle of being a band leader, a role in which he's never seemed comfortable. Where did the rumours about an MT/Rich Robinson collaboration come from? Whatever happens, I think he needs a new project. Going back to touring behind the same tired setlist he played for years prior to 2012 is a surefire way to kill whatever momentum he now has (and yes, the irony here isn't lost on me).

Totally agreed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home