Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Keith on his favorite Bowie song
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 20, 2015 17:10

Come On
Three rock stars who unexpectedly can/could play saxophone is:

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

John Fogerty?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 20, 2015 17:14

KEITH HAS DONE NOTHING OF NOTE CREATIVELY SINCE MAIN OFFENDER..IT'S SAD REALLY.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: February 20, 2015 17:31

Come On
Hmmm if I should pick out just one favorite Bowie-song it would be.....'Neuköln' from his album 'Heroes'...close behind is 'Warszawa' from 'Low'....thats musical art from heaven sent...
I say Young Americans. I like all of Bowies periods but for some reason, between glitter glam from space and art rock behind the wall of Berlin, Bowie decided to record a blue eyed soul album in LA during his most drug-fueled era. The title track is brilliant!

Date: February 20, 2015 17:52

BowieStone
Come On

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

John Fogerty?

Ronnie Wood.

Date: February 20, 2015 17:53

BILLPERKS

What?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:01

BILLPERKS

Well Bowie hasn't done anything fondamentally worth-remembering since "Let's Dance" (1983) so...
And as much as MO was uncompromising and hard-to-grasp, LD was shamelessly commercial, radio-friendly, MTV-friendly, teen-friendly, pop-fans-freindly etc etc.
That was precisely why Bowie hired Nile Rogers : "give me a world hit that'll relaunch my career". And Rogers did...

What Keef probably resents is Bowie's musical parasitism : since the 90's he's been jumping on the back of every new promising artist/band ; NIN, Corgan Placebo, etc etc.
Sucking new blood to remain relevant... Keef never did that. Au contraire he prefers to work with people older than him.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 18:09 by dcba.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:08

DandelionPowderman
I assume Keith was referring to Bowie's glam period, where (in Keith's opinion) his act was over-shadowing his music. If it was from 2002, Keith was still an active songwriter.

OK, define 'active'.

Date: February 20, 2015 18:09

dcba
BILLPERKS

Well Bowie hasn't done anything fondamentally worth-remembering since "Let's Dance" (1983) so...
And as much as MO was uncompromising and hard-to-grasp, LD was shamelessly commercial, radio-friendly, MTV-friendly, teen-friendly, pop-fans-freindly etc etc.
That was precisely why Bowie hired Nile Rogers : "give me a world hit that'll relaunch my career". And Rogers did...

What Keef probably resents is Bowie's musical parasitism : since the 90's he's been jumping on the back of every new promosing artist/band ; NIN, Corgan Placebo, etc etc.
Sucking new blood to remain relevant... Keef never did that. Au contraire he prefers to work with people older than him.

that certainly has diminishing prospects.

Date: February 20, 2015 18:13

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
I assume Keith was referring to Bowie's glam period, where (in Keith's opinion) his act was over-shadowing his music. If it was from 2002, Keith was still an active songwriter.

OK, define 'active'.

They had just recorded 21 songs they wrote prior to that interview..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:15

DiscoVolante
Come On
Hmmm if I should pick out just one favorite Bowie-song it would be.....'Neuköln' from his album 'Heroes'...close behind is 'Warszawa' from 'Low'....thats musical art from heaven sent...
I say Young Americans. I like all of Bowies periods but for some reason, between glitter glam from space and art rock behind the wall of Berlin, Bowie decided to record a blue eyed soul album in LA during his most drug-fueled era. The title track is brilliant!

Yeah, Bowies Lennon-period..smiling smiley

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:21

Come On

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:47

DiscoVolante
Come On

I too love that album. The title track of course was the lead single and out before the album and I loved it as soon as I heard it. And yet, once the album was out I found it was overshadowed by Win, Fascination, Right & Somebody Up There Likes Me. Then the outtakes finally got released and It's Gonna Be Me topped the lot of them. What an album.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:52

Come On

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

I'd add Ronnie Wood.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 20, 2015 18:53

Elmo Lewis
Come On

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

I'd add Ronnie Wood.

Oops! was already beat to the punch. How about the 3 guys in ZZ Top?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 20, 2015 18:57

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

OK, define 'active'.

you mean the four 'best' of which they included on 40 Licks?

GRRR!!!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 20, 2015 19:07

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

OK, define 'active'.

Yeah, but so what? Only 5 of them got released and 2 was by Keith. As I said, Keith can get away with presenting the best of the best for every time they release something and quite honestly, Losing My Touch and Hurricane, was not among the man's most creative peaks. I don't buy the theory with the Paris sessions from 2002. If they were so good as Keith spoke of, they would have released them sooner or later. Instead they started from scrath with ABB, which tells me that the material wasn't in a usable condition.

Regarding Bowie, there has surely been up's and down's. But his creativity can not be denied and he has remained active. Those 90's albums will always be debatable wether they are good or not, but the main point is that Bowie pushed himself for a different artistic output everytime. And he has NOT 'jumped from trend to trend' as someone pointed. He only did that with Earthling.

So Keith still comes out as a moron with quotes like these. Especially when his own creativity is downhill and he himself does and did nothing but posing! Also in 2002!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 20, 2015 20:12

matxil
I am actually a bit surprised that so many people here disagree with Keith on this. I know that a lot of people think Bowie is a genius, although I never understood why, but really, there also must be people who don't like him, right? Where are they?
As a matter of fact, I tried googling "people who don't like Bowie" and hardly anything comes up. I really must be missing something and maybe one day I'll find out what it is, but in the meantime, I still agree with Keith.

I am always amazed the way obsessive fans of music react to things like this. IF an obsessive Music fan thinks Bowie is a genius or something then they can never accept that others don't..Just on this thread we have people trying to come up with reasons why Keith would say he doesn't like Bowie's music..Its ridiculous.

A ton of people don't think much of Bowie. he is another artist that is a Brit thing. I don't know anyone personally who ever talks about him but I see in British polls he is rated as some genius or something. People try to chalk it up to him being threatened or Jealous of Bowie, why the need to try and come up with this stuff. It doesn't even make sense. He has nothing but nice things to say about the Beatles and Dylan and they are the only two that were ever above the Stones in the pecking order.

Now here is the simple reason that Richards says he doesn't care for Bowie, He doesn't like his music. A lot of people don't like his music. Whats the big deal? You should see Led Zeppelin fans trying to figure out why Keith didn't like Zeppelin. Everything but he just didn't like their music. Kind of funny and pathetic at the same time.

The only question I have is why does he feel the need to make these statements to the press. You know you are going to run into the guy again and why have that out there.

If I am someone like Keith and I am asked about someone I really don't like, say Pink Floyd, all I would say is I understand a lot of people like them and its obvious they are talented but just not much cup of Tea.. Not sure why that's so hard for Keith.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 20:28 by stanlove.

Date: February 20, 2015 20:21

DandelionPowderman
Ket
He seems to have very little appreciation of most music that came after The Stones started, he has been dismissive of The Who,Zeppelin,Bowie .. Im not sure why this is? Not one of his better traits!

When was he dismissive of the Who?

He loves AC/DC, btw. Powerage is his favourite album.

He is dismissive of the Who in this video and well as he should be. Over the top rubbish..I can't be a fan of someone who can't even write a simple love song..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 20, 2015 20:27

stanlove
You should see Led Zeppelin fans trying to figure out why Keith didn't like Zeppelin. Everything but he just didn't like his music. Kind of funny and pathetic at the same time.

Actually he has said he likes some of Zep's music, it's the singing he doesn't care for. peace

Date: February 20, 2015 20:37

Naturalust
stanlove
You should see Led Zeppelin fans trying to figure out why Keith didn't like Zeppelin. Everything but he just didn't like his music. Kind of funny and pathetic at the same time.

Actually he has said he likes some of Zep's music, it's the singing he doesn't care for. peace

He said as a band they never took off.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 20, 2015 21:07

<<the Who ..I can't be a fan of someone who can't even write a simple love song..>>

What's not to like? They have a sense of humor as well.

"There was nothing in my life/bigger than beer...."

Date: February 20, 2015 21:09

stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

Well, we all know how accurate that statement is....smoking smiley peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 20, 2015 21:17

Naturalust
stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

Actually that's a statement attributed to Keith Moon, who told them in the beginning that they would "go over like a lead balloon" and that's how they got their name.

Date: February 20, 2015 22:01

Naturalust
stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

It was very accurate. he said they never took off for him..

Date: February 20, 2015 22:08

stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

It was very accurate. he said they never took off for him..

yeah I missed the 'for me" qualifier, can't argue with peoples tastes and opinions as you have pointed out. That being said, you can probably count on one hand the number of bands that have taken off for Keith in the last 40 years. peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 23:07

kowalski
bathsheba
I am a shy poster but It seems to me an interesting thread. I think KR has an enormous and fragile ego and he's quickly and easily threatened by certain other personalities. I think the closeness of DB and MJ whatever it was made him feel insecure with Mick. So he sneers at DB's music.

I enjoy the site but I don't really understand why some conversational ideas seem to get sat on. It discourages me from posting much.

Probably the most meaningful comment on this thread smiling smiley

Keith most certainly knows who Bowie is (who doesn't?) but most likely doesn't (didn't?) like to see him too close to Jagger...

Oh now...we didn't need to see this!

Date: February 21, 2015 00:09

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

OK, define 'active'.

GRRR!!!

I liked three of them smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2015 01:39

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

OK, define 'active'.

GRRR!!!

I liked three of them smiling smiley

You sound like a cheap date too!

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:28

stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

I understand why Keith says they never took off. Basically, Keith knew that a lot of their songs were ripped off of other artists. Most people (but not all) didn't know that or which songs until more recent years, but Keith being an expert at knowledge of the blues probably did because he would have known the same blues source material.

That being said, the same criticism could also be directed at his own work because a lot of what they wrote was ripping off other artists too. Sometimes Keith likes to criticize others for things he himself does but for him it's ok because he was doing it first. lol I love Keith dearly, but he's sometimes got a flawed outlook and may speak before really thinking about what he's going to say. I read in some guitar magazine from the 80's his thoughts on Stevie Ray Vaughan and he said it was just typical white boy blues. I totally disagree with him there as SRV was way better than that.

As for Bowie, I like some of his tunes, but not a lot. Golden Years, Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby, Love You Till Tuesday (BBC version), and maybe a couple of others. A lot of it I just can't get into. He's talented, I'll give him that.

Date: February 21, 2015 04:02

sanQ
stanlove
Naturalust
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

I understand why Keith says they never took off. Basically, Keith knew that a lot of their songs were ripped off of other artists. Most people (but not all) didn't know that or which songs until more recent years, but Keith being an expert at knowledge of the blues probably did because he would have known the same blues source material.

That being said, the same criticism could also be directed at his own work because a lot of what they wrote was ripping off other artists too. Sometimes Keith likes to criticize others for things he himself does but for him it's ok because he was doing it first. lol I love Keith dearly, but he's sometimes got a flawed outlook and may speak before really thinking about what he's going to say. I read in some guitar magazine from the 80's his thoughts on Stevie Ray Vaughan and he said it was just typical white boy blues. I totally disagree with him there as SRV was way better than that.

As for Bowie, I like some of his tunes, but not a lot. Golden Years, Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby, Love You Till Tuesday (BBC version), and maybe a couple of others. A lot of it I just can't get into. He's talented, I'll give him that.

For a band that "didn't take off", they seemed to sell a helluva lot of albums. If you consider they were only around for 10 years, and the Stones 50 AND Led Zeppelin outsold the Stones, hard to get your mind around the idea they didn't "take off".

Maybe the took off so far Keith didn't see them in the distance?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home