Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Keith on his favorite Bowie song
Date: February 20, 2015 10:46

RomanCandle
Blueranger
'It's all pose. It’s all @#$%& posing. It’s nothing to do with music.'

Is he supposed to look cool or badass? I mean, ffs, he looks like a f-ucking mummy with his headband. confused smiley

It's not "blues in C", either smiling smiley

Date: February 20, 2015 10:49

Date: February 20, 2015 10:51

Blueranger

What's wrong with posing for charity? smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2015 10:52

Keith is the same sort of soul that Miles Davis was....he neither had any good to say about any of his fellow trumpeters playing jazz and being successful...
Jealous Guys as Lennon would have put it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 20, 2015 10:57

caschimann
David was going out with Anita early 70ies from time to time.
He not a fan of him at all.

Really? Never heard that before! It would explain a lot about Keith's attitude.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:14

DandelionPowderman

Great shot! Never seen that before. I guess coke can make all kinds of people friends. eye rolling smiley

Date: February 20, 2015 11:47

Drinking friends also

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:58

RomanCandle
Blueranger

Is he supposed to look cool or badass? I mean, ffs, he looks like a f-ucking mummy with his headband. confused smiley

This is one of the best song-writers of all times posing here. His suitcase is full with the best music you'll ever hear.
It's not David Bowie.

Date: February 20, 2015 12:06

Keith songwriting on his own can not be compared with Bowies ...maybe, and I say maybe Jagger/Richards....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:27

I wouldn´t pay that much attention to quotes like this....
Keef talks a lot when the days are long...

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:37

Keith can only play guitar an write songs.
Mister Bowie can do everything.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:38

Keef likes his music raw, close to the bone. In that way he's very close to Clement Greenberg theory about art (painting and sculpture) and what separates them. CG called them "essential conventions" : stray away from them and you weaken your art.
I'm sure keef has this theory about rock. Stray away from its bare-bones essential conventions and you weaken it.

The sophisticated arrangements and the complex stage persona(s) of Bowie irk him. Keef'd call it "effete" if he could remember the word! grinning smiley

And maybe he remembers the "raw, close to the bone" 71-72 Stones era and the Glam Bowie-influenced music of 73-74 (which was inferior).
That's not really surprising.

And don't forget Keef has a lot of mileage : he has seen rows of musicians build a successful over artistic choices HE would have discarted 10 seconds after envisioning them.

Btw... I wonder what he thinks of Pink Floyd...
"ah these pompous gits with the 17-minute songs and the "conceptual" albums. live the visuals overshadowed the music. Hate them..." >grinning smiley<

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 12:51 by dcba.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2015 13:14

DandelionPowderman

Keith: hey look at my pal here
Bowie: eeew, he stinks

That's the reason.

I dont like Keiths comment and I dont agree with him but I get where he's coming from. Keith is blues to the bone. In 1975, 1976 or 1972 or 1969 yiou hear it in every chord or note.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 20, 2015 13:23

bathsheba
I am a shy poster but It seems to me an interesting thread. I think KR has an enormous and fragile ego and he's quickly and easily threatened by certain other personalities. I think the closeness of DB and MJ whatever it was made him feel insecure with Mick. So he sneers at DB's music.

I enjoy the site but I don't really understand why some conversational ideas seem to get sat on. It discourages me from posting much.

Probably the most meaningful comment on this thread smiling smiley

Keith most certainly knows who Bowie is (who doesn't?) but most likely doesn't (didn't?) like to see him too close to Jagger...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: February 20, 2015 14:12

kowalski
bathsheba
I am a shy poster but It seems to me an interesting thread. I think KR has an enormous and fragile ego and he's quickly and easily threatened by certain other personalities. I think the closeness of DB and MJ whatever it was made him feel insecure with Mick. So he sneers at DB's music.

I enjoy the site but I don't really understand why some conversational ideas seem to get sat on. It discourages me from posting much.

Keith most certainly knows who Bowie is (who doesn't?) but most likely doesn't (didn't?) like to see him too close to Jagger...

Plus I think he genunily did not like his music.

Date: February 20, 2015 14:17

Three rock stars who unexpectedly can/could play saxophone is:

David Bowie
Van Morrison
Brian Jones

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 14:17 by Come On.

Date: February 20, 2015 14:19

MartinB
kowalski
bathsheba

THAT's the most meaningful comment so far thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 20, 2015 14:31

David & Keith possibly in the 80's - - -

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 20, 2015 15:07

z
RomanCandle
Blueranger

This is one of the best song-writers of all times posing here. His suitcase is full with the best music you'll ever hear.
It's not David Bowie.

No, it's Keith Richars, I know that.
Still Keith is a hypocrite. If there is one person who has done nothing but posing and living on former glories for the last 30 years, it's Keith.
Bowie still writes, and record music to great acclaim.

Date: February 20, 2015 15:09

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

Nothing wrong. But a poser he is. Posing has A LOT to do with music.

Date: February 20, 2015 15:09

MartinB
kowalski
bathsheba

What are they doing? Interrail?

2 1 2 0

Date: February 20, 2015 15:11

Blueranger
z
RomanCandle
Blueranger

It's not David Bowie.

Still Keith is a hypocrite. If there is one person who has done nothing but posing and living on former glories for the last 30 years, it's Keith.

That depends on when Keith was quoted saying this, doesn't it?

When push comes to shove, Keith has written and recorded more than most of his peers. And the quality of the material speaks volumes.

Bowie also takes long breaks from writing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2015 15:15

Come On
MartinB
kowalski
bathsheba

inter-something, that's for sure.

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 20, 2015 15:31

Inter-resting

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 20, 2015 15:33

treaclefingers
Come On
MartinB
kowalski
bathsheba

inter-something, that's for sure.
eye popping smiley

Date: February 20, 2015 15:34

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

Nothing wrong. But a poser he is. Posing has A LOT to do with music.

I think Keith was referring to the balance between the posing and the music.

Date: February 20, 2015 15:52

z
Inter-resting

Forza Inter! Nah, Roma is my team in Italy...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 20, 2015 15:56

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
z
RomanCandle
Blueranger

It's not David Bowie.

That depends on when Keith was quoted saying this, doesn't it?

When push comes to shove, Keith has written and recorded more than most of his peers. And the quality of the material speaks volumes.

Bowie also takes long breaks from writing.

As far as I know, the quote stems from 2002-2003. The first time I saw it in print, was around the Licks tour, and it has popped up numerous times since.
It's also true that quality of material speaks volumes. Stones has released a lot more than Bowie, but what's the point in that? Quantity over quality?
Bowie mostly writes alone, but Keith can get away with about 6 songs pr. album, sometimes even less, and his output has become less and less frequent. What is Keith's true output of self-written material in the last 20 years? 15 songs?
Bowie has written a lot of material and it includes a lot of acclaimed material.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 20, 2015 16:50

I am actually a bit surprised that so many people here disagree with Keith on this. I know that a lot of people think Bowie is a genius, although I never understood why, but really, there also must be people who don't like him, right? Where are they?
As a matter of fact, I tried googling "people who don't like Bowie" and hardly anything comes up. I really must be missing something and maybe one day I'll find out what it is, but in the meantime, I still agree with Keith.

Date: February 20, 2015 16:53

I assume Keith was referring to Bowie's glam period, where (in Keith's opinion) his act was over-shadowing his music. If it was from 2002, Keith was still an active songwriter.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home