Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Keith on his favorite Bowie song
Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: February 19, 2015 19:59

"Rebel Rebel" is a thinly-veiled ripoff of "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Brown Sugar".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2015 20:39

Keith doesn't like Bowie, but he likes Justin Timberlake....confused smiley

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 19, 2015 20:45

This may be an apocryphal quote. Keith Richards would not dare say something as dumb, narrow-minded and exaggerated as that. eye popping smiley

Date: February 19, 2015 21:04

Blueranger
'It's all pose. It’s all @#$%& posing. It’s nothing to do with music.'

Is he supposed to look cool or badass? I mean, ffs, he looks like a f-ucking mummy with his headband. confused smiley

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 19, 2015 21:14

MisterAccapella
"Rebel Rebel" is a thinly-veiled ripoff of "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Brown Sugar".

How?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 19, 2015 21:14

treaclefingers
Roll73
treaclefingers
Interestingly, his is the only negative commentary in the story that covers Bowie's 'best' work from otherwise adoring industry insiders.

I read George Harrison was not all that enamoured with Bowie either. Said something like he felt Bowie was just hiding behind masks and there was no real substance. Maybe that's what Keith is getting at as well.

Don't get me wrong - I'm personally a huge Bowie fan but I can see where old Keith and George are coming from, to some degree.

I guess you can't have all the Beatles on your side.

John Lennon seemed to adore the 'fame'.

Lennon actually plays on Fame. I've listened to the multitracks and he's there on an acoustic guitar occasionally hitting a rhythmic muted stroke and occasionally shouting/singing out "fame". It's an amazing tune recorded on 16 tracks. peace

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 19, 2015 21:47

duke richardson
Keith just doesn't go for the 'character - role playing -science fiction -glam ' thing..

he's just a ol' bluesman, really..

wonder what thinks of the guitar in 'Rebel Rebel'...
At the time of release several reviews commented this is a no more than Satisfaction riff copied. So I guess not much.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:13

I didn't see this in the thread but didn't Bowie record Let's spend the night together? I really like Bowie's last album - very cool the way he kept it so
Secret. Earl Slick has always worked well with David's music. Earl seems to
Be underrated - he was all over Lennon's final album Double Fantasy too. Anyway it really Doesn't surprise me that Bowie is not to Keith's liking.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:39

belld
duke richardson
Keith just doesn't go for the 'character - role playing -science fiction -glam ' thing..

he's just a ol' bluesman, really..

wonder what thinks of the guitar in 'Rebel Rebel'...
At the time of release several reviews commented this is a no more than Satisfaction riff copied. So I guess not much.

Rebel Rebel ..a copy of the Satisfaction riff?

...a fair amount of commentary about this subject, the copying of riffs involving 'Satisfaction' here lately...

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:44

Does the article specify if this is a recent Keith quote or from some time in the distant pass? It certainly sounds to me like something he would have said in the 70s or 80s, but recently, not so much. He seems to direct most of his vitriol these days to contemporary acts. Which is fine with me. cool smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 19, 2015 22:52

24FPS
Bowie was a fantastic artist. He picked up different guises along the way, without getting pigeonholed. He could rock as hard as anybody. 'Suffragette City' was a mother live. Keith probably sees him as a competitor and won't give him anything, the way John Lennon spit on the Stones.

'Panic in Detroit' is another excellent rocker from the 'Man who sold the world' album.

Date: February 19, 2015 23:04

BroomWagon
24FPS
Bowie was a fantastic artist. He picked up different guises along the way, without getting pigeonholed. He could rock as hard as anybody. 'Suffragette City' was a mother live. Keith probably sees him as a competitor and won't give him anything, the way John Lennon spit on the Stones.

'Panic in Detroit' is another excellent rocker from the 'Man who sold the world' album.

Aladdin Sane??

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:04

............ A lad insane

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:10

Keith's new solo career, the Trolling Stone...........

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:16

Roscoe
Does the article specify if this is a recent Keith quote or from some time in the distant pass? It certainly sounds to me like something he would have said in the 70s or 80s, but recently, not so much. He seems to direct most of his vitriol these days to contemporary acts. Which is fine with me. cool smiley

Yes, I was wondering about that too. I remember a negative Keith quote about Bowie, but that was a long time ago... But it was not in the context of a favorite song. That he picks 'Changes' is new for me.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:18

RockinJive
caschimann
Pleaaaase BV close this thread - getting worse post by postdrinking smiley

Um....where?

Um...Everywhere.
Discussing the artistic quality of Bowie here...come on.
And:
Dancing around something Keith said in the mid seventies when he was a junkie.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:20

caschimann
RockinJive
caschimann
Pleaaaase BV close this thread - getting worse post by postdrinking smiley

Um....where?

Um...Everywhere.
Discussing the artistic quality of Bowie here...come on.
And:
Dancing around something Keith said in the mid seventies when he was a junkie.

close the tread for something we do all the time? why start now?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:23

No keep it goin, ...
It's kinda funny ta see people runnin' in all directions screeeeemin'

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2015 23:28

Produced "All the young dudes" and wrote the song and Mott the Hoople is a great band in case no one mentioned this.

Date: February 19, 2015 23:29

Bowie probably plays a good sax too, just probably has never been the most important part or even barely a part of his music. Cracked Actor, maybe a few songs.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: February 19, 2015 23:29

No let them go on,
But I´m out of here.winking smiley

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: February 20, 2015 01:21

I am a shy poster but It seems to me an interesting thread. I think KR has an enormous and fragile ego and he's quickly and easily threatened by certain other personalities. I think the closeness of DB and MJ whatever it was made him feel insecure with Mick. So he sneers at DB's music.

I enjoy the site but I don't really understand why some conversational ideas seem to get sat on. It discourages me from posting much.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 20, 2015 01:57

Photo by Bob Gruen
Bob's comment: David never wanted to share a bottle with Keith.smiling smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 01:57

bathsheba
I am a shy poster but It seems to me an interesting thread. I think KR has an enormous and fragile ego and he's quickly and easily threatened by certain other personalities. I think the closeness of DB and MJ whatever it was made him feel insecure with Mick. So he sneers at DB's music.

I enjoy the site but I don't really understand why some conversational ideas seem to get sat on. It discourages me from posting much.

Don't get discouraged. New ideas are good. If you get a rude response just ignore
it a reader sometimes may just misunderstand your intention or meaning.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 20, 2015 02:00

Toru A

Photo by Bob Gruen
Bob's comment: David never wanted to share a bottle with Keith.smiling smiley

Considering where fruity Bowie's lips may or might not have been at the time...good idea to stick to your own bottle Keef.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:13

Wasn't Bowie the guy that Keith stayed awake with for nine days or something like that in the early 70s? How much closer can two guys get? Besides, well you know, like Bowie and Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-20 08:14 by shawnriffhard1.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:51

I thought that was woody? Or at least for a few days. I remember seeing an interview with Woody talking about it

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 20, 2015 09:08

Hmmm if I should pick out just one favorite Bowie-song it would be.....'Neuköln' from his album 'Heroes'...close behind is 'Warszawa' from 'Low'....thats musical art from heaven sent...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 20, 2015 09:48

woodyweaving
I thought that was woody? Or at least for a few days. I remember seeing an interview with Woody talking about it

You are correct, I read the same article.

Date: February 20, 2015 10:45

Hairball
Keith doesn't like Bowie, but he likes Justin Timberlake....confused smiley

You don't have to like every artist your daughter takes you out to see, you know smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home