Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Track Talk: Sway
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2015 08:24

LongBeachArena72
71Tele
LongBeachArena72
Interesting discussion about Jagger's vocal strengths and weaknesses.

One thing I've always wondered about: what if at least some of Jagger's "decline" is attributable to physical changes in his voice?

Obviously, his voice has aged considerably. It's much more brittle at the top and thin to the point of non-existence on the bottom. He could deliver gems like "Sway" and "Let it Loose" in the very early 70's ... but by the 75 TOTA he had become a slurring mess.

Is it possible that he simply could not sing like "Sway" or "Loose" anymore and adopted what some of us now see as his more "artificial" techniques?

I think you're right. But the technical aspects are an entirely different issue than his sincere emotion (lyrically and vocally), then vs. now. Compare with Leonard Cohen, who never had a great vocal range. Now he has barely any at all. Yet I don't think anyone who has seen him perform recently would question the seriousness and artistic integrity of his performance. Tom Waits, likewise. It's what you do with what you have.

Agreed.

I sometimes ask myself what would be more suprising: a new Jagger vocal as impassioned as "Let It Loose" or a new Jagger/Richards composition as remarkable as "Let It Loose"?

Can we have both?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2015 09:55

...YEAH I'm a greeeedy man .... So gimmie both ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 16, 2015 14:31

LeonidP
He is easily in the top 5 of most recognizable voices in rock history

eye popping smiley eye rolling smileyeye popping smiley

Date: January 16, 2015 14:33

RomanCandle
LeonidP

You don't think Mick Jagger has a unique and very recognisable voice (despite what you think of how it sounds)?? eye popping smiley

Date: January 16, 2015 14:52

what does unique mean for you?

Date: January 16, 2015 14:56

RomanCandle
what does unique mean for you?

That you can spot it within a tenth of a second.

Date: January 16, 2015 15:10

yes I can spot his voice because I listen to the Stones but he's not in my "top 5 of most recognizable voices in rock history"
many singers can sound like Jagger

Date: January 16, 2015 15:11

RomanCandle
yes I can spot his voice because I listen to the Stones but he's not in my "top 5 of most recognizable voices in rock history"

Such as?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:18

The interpretation of Jagger in Down in the hole is fantastic! No, I think Mick still able to make great vocal performances.

everything's turning to gold

Date: January 16, 2015 15:19

DandelionPowderman
RomanCandle

Such as?

Sam France

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:30

texas fan
Just to weigh in on this Jagger as a singer. First, for someone to say that "all of the best rock vocalists know that he can't sing" is amazing to me -- thank God he's no Billy Idol.

I think Mick is fabulous on Sway -- he really gives everything he has on this one and conveys real emotion. Along with Taylor's solo, he makes this song special.

Having said that, he definitely does NOT do that live -- I can't even get around to blaming Keith or Ronnie or anyone else, here -- Mick fails to sell this song live.

Ill weigh in also :-)
I think technically Jagger vocally is very limited.
But given the right song and moment he is amazing.
I think ballads are when he is at his best..at least in latter life.
Kill me if u want but his solo ballads are very good vocally..it seems Jagger has more a passion in his solo songs versus his Stones songs...

Date: January 16, 2015 15:42

RomanCandle
DandelionPowderman
RomanCandle

Such as?

Sam France

smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:07

A lot of singers are limited. Good grief. Jagger's voice is unique. Nobody has ever gotten the body of a vocal the way Jagger does on loads of songs. Most recently a good example is Plundered My Soul. During the choruses, when he he comes down on 'stole' and 'soul' it takes over the room.

His phrasing is still just as clever as ever with this tune too.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:23

Jagger is a performer..that is his number 1..and he is at the top of the tree.
Singing..well...someone has to..

Date: January 16, 2015 19:45

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:13

I always thought Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins tried to do a Jagger impression, or at least was influenced by him.

Date: January 16, 2015 21:14

RomanCandle

Do you really think he sounds anything remotely like Mick?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:17

TravelinMan
I always thought Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins tried to do a Jagger impression, or at least was influenced by him.
True

Date: January 16, 2015 21:46

Probably influenced by Mick, but never sounded like him at all.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:20

71Tele
[
I think you're right. But the technical aspects are an entirely different issue than his sincere emotion (lyrically and vocally)

I think the sincere emotion was still there when he sang No Use In Crying, one of my favorite vocals of his.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 22:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:32

LongBeachArena72

One thing I've always wondered about: what if at least some of Jagger's "decline" is attributable to physical changes in his voice?

Obviously, his voice has aged considerably. It's much more brittle at the top and thin to the point of non-existence on the bottom. He could deliver gems like "Sway" and "Let it Loose" in the very early 70's ... but by the 75 TOTA he had become a slurring mess.

Is it possible that he simply could not sing like "Sway" or "Loose" anymore and adopted what some of us now see as his more "artificial" techniques?

His voice has changed, and he has adopted some new techniques in the modern era. In the case of singing "Sway" live, though, I get the feeling that he's saving his voice. I get the same feeling on "Rocks Off" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," to name a couple more... Maybe there's nothing to that, but it's an impression I get...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 22:42 by texas fan.

Date: January 16, 2015 22:41

ryanpow
71Tele
[
I think you're right. But the technical aspects are an entirely different issue than his sincere emotion (lyrically and vocally)

I think the sincere emotion was still there when he sang No Use In Crying, one of my favorite vocals of his.

Absolutely! thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 17, 2015 04:01

RomanCandle
LeonidP

Funny you're eye-rolling that, yet claim that billy idol is near the top.

I need a way to put 100 eyerolls. Again, you are showing too much how ignorant you are of both Stones & Rock history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-17 04:02 by LeonidP.

Date: January 17, 2015 09:08

are you drunk, Leonid?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2015 17:44

Jagger is indeed one of the most recognizable voices in history.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 17, 2015 19:50

texas fan
LongBeachArena72

His voice has changed, and he has adopted some new techniques in the modern era. In the case of singing "Sway" live, though, I get the feeling that he's saving his voice. I get the same feeling on "Rocks Off" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," to name a couple more... Maybe there's nothing to that, but it's an impression I get...

Yes, I think that there is some 'saving' going on. In general, and there are exceptions, the modern-day band cuts a lot of corners, shaving the edges off things in order to keep them as streamlined as possible. Notes and inflections dropped here, guitars simplified there. These 'techniques' do not necessarily result in a bad performance ... it's just that the result is more monochromatic than was the case with the band at its peak.

I think the Stones have always been a fairly cautious band when it comes to live arrangements. Nothing wrong with that, that's just the type of band they are. My main problem with Jagger's vocals over the years is that they have become SO mannered and have bordered for SO long on self-parody that I don't think he can really find his way back to the genuine expression of reckless passion that typified his best performances as a (much!) younger man.

It's tough to be 'genuine' and really open yourself up as a 'soul'singer when you've been as famous as he has for as long as he has been.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 17, 2015 22:17

Why dont we talk about Sway? There is another topic about mick jagger's voice.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 17, 2015 22:30

Indeed. Mick Taylors' solo is medicine to me.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 18, 2015 01:25

LuxuryStones
Indeed. Mick Taylors' solo is medicine to me.

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:51

Rene, I think Sway was actually recorded in October at Stargroves during the same session as Moonlight Mile. (October 17-31, 1970).

I believe both Track Talk threads list the date as May but I think that may be wrong.

peace

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home