Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Track Talk: Sway
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:31

During the "Ya-Ya's" deluxe performance of "I'm Free" Taylor plays a sweet little 20 second solo that is astonishing in the history of the band in that it breaks new ground: The band is now capable of musical moments of great beauty. Early in the tour Taylor seemed to step on Jagger's lyrics during LIV, but by the time the band got to Baltimore Jagger's voice and Taylor's notes were in synch. Jagger picked up on all of that and Sway is a product of the band's new found power, finesse, touch, sophistication...however you want to describe it.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 6, 2015 01:59

My interpretation.....The guilt and shame of heavy drug abuse both there's and my own. Which is why it is actually painful for me to listen to it. The wasted time, the wasted money. The sad empty lives that are brought together to try and escape their reality and numb their pain.

I always thought that "Some who broke me up with the corner of her smile" was a young child who woke at her regular time and wandered into her parents drug den naively not knowing what they are doing and smiling at them and the parents deep shame and regret of their lifestyle choice.

I remember when Jerry Garcia died. The American writer William Buckly wrote 'Don't feel bad for him, he took plenty of people with him". That quote stuck a nerve on me because it reminded me of Sticky Fingers and in particular Sway.

Bottom line.....I loved it years ago. I grew out of it and moved on. Its why I like Emotional more than Sticky. Think I'll go listen to 'Send it me" now....

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:06

MisterO
My interpretation.....The guilt and shame of heavy drug abuse both there's and my own. Which is why it is actually painful for me to listen to it. The wasted time, the wasted money. The sad empty lives that are brought together to try and escape their reality and numb their pain.

I always thought that "Some who broke me up with the corner of her smile" was a young child who woke at her regular time and wandered into her parents drug den naively not knowing what they are doing and smiling at them and the parents deep shame and regret of their lifestyle choice.

I remember when Jerry Garcia died. The American writer William Buckly wrote 'Don't feel bad for him, he took plenty of people with him". That quote stuck a nerve on me because it reminded me of Sticky Fingers and in particular Sway.

Bottom line.....I loved it years ago. I grew out of it and moved on. Its why I like Emotional more than Sticky. Think I'll go listen to 'Send it me" now....

I understand your point confused smiley glad I did listening to Sticky back then "sober" and clean

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 02:48

MisterO

I always thought that "Some who broke me up with the coyrner of her smile" was a young child who woke at her regular time and wandered into her parents drug den naively not knowing what they are doing and smiling at them and the parents deep shame and regret of their lifestyle choice.

Wow that's pretty heavy and probably pretty spot on. Unfortunately, Keith has probably taken down many more than Jerry Garcia. Of course ones decisions to take dangerous drugs are personal and many say can't be blamed on others, but Keith's influence in that department was uncommonly large.

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:07

They were my idols back in the late 60's and 70's especially Keith but I never feel the need to take drugs because of him.......lucky me I guess

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:19

MisterO

thumbs up
Thanks for your post MisterO!
I remember my times with my dark passenger...
I still love SF though. In fact all the albums with themes about this subject. And I like ER!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:27

Great song from their best album. Has Keith ever talked about his limited involvement? Did he take a musical direction role even though he didn't play? His background vocals are outstanding.....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:36

Maindefender
Great song from their best album. Has Keith ever talked about his limited involvement? Did he take a musical direction role even though he didn't play? His background vocals are outstanding.....

I heard that Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane contributed to the background vocals as well, although not listed in the credits above. confused smiley

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 04:55 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2015 03:47

Maindefender

There is a Mick Taylor quote from 1979 (timeisonourside.com):

(W)e didn't always get there at the same time. If we felt like playing, we would. That's why on Sway the backing track was done with just Charlie, Mick, and me.

So according to Taylor, Keith didn't have any role in making the backing track, which pretty much constitutes the feel of the song (but Wyman was not there?eye popping smiley). So I guess, by the time Keith got involved, they decided that what was in the can was already good enough. But yeah, he has a strong presence in background vocals.

Another, more recent Taylor quote from 2011 (timeisonourside.com again):

I added my solo to Sway, but it's very much Mick's song. I don't think Keith's on it. It had a great, loose feel. Mick played rhythm guitar on that. He's a great rhythm player. My theory is he has a natural feel and that's also why he's such a great dancer.

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2015 04:28

RobberBride
One word: EPIC
In every way.

Nothing to add here.

Date: January 6, 2015 04:32

treaclefingers
Most substantial non-hit, non-warhorse in their entire catalogue and better than anything this side of Exile (and most of Exile).

I hope I'm not under selling it.

That's pretty light-weight compared to what I said of "Surprise Surprise" a while ago...

- Doxa

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 09:28

Doxa

I added my solo to Sway, but it's very much Mick's song. I don't think Keith's on it. It had a great, loose feel. Mick played rhythm guitar on that. He's a great rhythm player. My theory is he has a natural feel and that's also why he's such a great dancer.

- Doxa

I totally agree with MT above, but here's Keith in GUITAR WORLD:

GUITAR WORLD: "How do you rate Mick Jagger as a guitar player?"

KEITH: "On acoustic, he's a damned good rhythm player. I'd never let him play electric if I could help it... ... No sense of electric at all..."

GW: "SWAY is Mick on electric."

KEITH: "Yeah... Well, like I say, acoustically he's got a nice touch. It doesn't translate electrically. It's not his thing. It's not everybody's cup of tea."

Date: January 6, 2015 09:45

pmk251
During the "Ya-Ya's" deluxe performance of "I'm Free" Taylor plays a sweet little 20 second solo that is astonishing in the history of the band in that it breaks new ground: The band is now capable of musical moments of great beauty. Early in the tour Taylor seemed to step on Jagger's lyrics during LIV, but by the time the band got to Baltimore Jagger's voice and Taylor's notes were in synch. Jagger picked up on all of that and Sway is a product of the band's new found power, finesse, touch, sophistication...however you want to describe it.

They were capable of musical moments of great beauty already by 1966.

Paint It Black was groundbreaking. Not so sure whether the fusion solo in I'm Free was of the same importance for the band.

Date: January 6, 2015 09:48

Naturalust
Maindefender

I heard that Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane contributed to the background vocals as well, although not listed in the credits above. confused smiley

peace

PT sings on Slave. Ronnie Lane on In Another Land (with Marriot).

Haven't heard about those two contributing to anything else on Stones records.

Date: January 6, 2015 10:00

Title5Take1
Doxa

- Doxa

KEITH: "On acoustic, he's a damned good rhythm player. I'd never let him play electric if I could help it... ... No sense of electric at all..."

KEITH: "Yeah... Well, like I say, acoustically he's got a nice touch. It doesn't translate electrically. It's not his thing. It's not everybody's cup of tea."

I think Keith is referring to Mick's choice of sound, which generally is a bit iffy, imo. Sway, Some Girls and Stop Breakin' Down are exceptions, though.

Date: January 6, 2015 10:57

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Maindefender

peace

Well, not me either, but timeisonourside.com claims - I just noticed - that background vocals are done by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend, Ronnie Lane & Billy Nicholls. Total news to me, since my ears only tend to hear Jagger and Richards, and it has never occurred to me that there could be anyone else. Probably time to give it another listen.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 10:58 by Doxa.

Date: January 6, 2015 11:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Maindefender

peace

Well, not me either, but timeisonourside.com claims - I just noticed - that background vocals are done by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend, Ronnie Lane & Billy Nicholls. Total news to me, since my ears only tend to hear Jagger and Richards, and it has never occurred to me that there could be anyone else. Probably time to give it another listen.

- Doxa

That's interesting, as the album liner notes say nothing about that. Can't hear any more vocals on it either...

Date: January 6, 2015 11:31

DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1
Doxa

- Doxa

I think Keith is referring to Mick's choice of sound, which generally is a bit iffy, imo. Sway, Some Girls and Stop Breakin' Down are exceptions, though.

Always liked this interview: good journalist. And this part is brilliant: the fearless pirate is caught loaded with fear & jealousy and talking bs.

Date: January 6, 2015 11:34

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1
Doxa

- Doxa

Always liked this interview: good journalist. And this part is brilliant: the fearless pirate is caught loaded with fear & jealousy and talking bs.

How? Sounds like a quick rebound to me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2015 11:44

DandelionPowderman
That's interesting, as the album liner notes say nothing about that. Can't hear any more vocals on it either...

Dande dear, would you consider writing to Ian McPherson to ask about his sources for that?
Sway and Slave are mighty similar words that might be easy to confuse if someone's working from memory
and discussing a number that might not even have had a title at the time. (I don't mean McPherson!
but rather someone who's not a full-time Stones fan, during an interview or whatever)

Sort of like how a phone interviewer heard Keith say he listens to a lot of Motley Crew
when what he said was Mozart eye popping smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 11:47

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

Dande dear, would you consider writing to Ian McPherson to ask about his sources for that?
Sway and Slave are mighty similar words that might be easy to confuse if someone's working from memory
and discussing a number that might not even have had a title at the time. (I don't mean McPherson!
but rather someone who's not a full-time Stones fan, during an interview or whatever)

Sort of like how a phone interviewer heard Keith say he listens to a lot of Motley Crew
when what he said was Mozart eye popping smiley

Many of Ian's sources are IORR-posters, but I doubt if that's the case this time.

EDIT: Sent him an email now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 11:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2015 12:06

DandelionPowderman
pmk251

They were capable of musical moments of great beauty already by 1966.

Paint It Black was groundbreaking. Not so sure whether the fusion solo in I'm Free was of the same importance for the band.

I listened to that solo again after reading pmk251's post and I know what he means. It's kinda like hearing a 70s style solo but being played in 1969.

It has all the hallmarks of one of those slightly menacing, steely Sticky Fingers licks on it so perhaps it can be seen as Mick Taylor giving notice of the shape of things to come. It's quite a dark, eerie measured solo too. Yep, pretty unique.

Date: January 6, 2015 12:17

Santana did some of that stuff the year before, Mike. I'm sure there were others as well - mixing in some latin and jazz in their rock solos, like Taylor did here.

Good stuff, but nothing groundbreaking or earth-shattering about it, imo. But indeed a taste of what to come on SF and IORR.

Date: January 6, 2015 13:28

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Title5Take1
Doxa

- Doxa

How? Sounds like a quick rebound to me.

Like I said before: KR can fool anyone...
Bard, it's not a fact nor a law that the Stones only have one (rhythm) guitar hero: MJ also plays that very well and certainly on Sway but if it's that obvious KR can't give the man a compliment but even denies his abilities...that's just childish and probably because he doesn't want to share the light he still has as the ultimate guitar hero or rock god or whatever image he likes to believe in himself or feels he deserves. Or am I 'not so subtly insinuating' again with my just mentioning and sort of analyzing his remarkably overdone and far too often repeated insults?
Maybe you're not so subtly denying... Or as I said before: KR can fool anyone... smoking smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 13:37

To me, it seems that you get annoyed by Keith's behaviour, and that this is shining a bit too much through in your arguments.

I love MJ's playing on many tracks, and I'm above average when it comes to judging guitar playing.

That said, MJ has made some strange choices over the years regarding sound - especially from 1989 and on. Sad Sad Sad, Rock And A Hard Place, Miss You live come to mind.

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with his playing on Sway or Stop Breakin' Down, as I mentioned. Add Back Of My Hand to that list, btw. But he is a basic rhythm player with a very limited right hand.

It's not hard to find loads of Mick-compliments from Keith. This time, I'm leaning to belive that he really found Mick a limited player round 1970. Later on (80s) he said that Mick had become great.

For you that may be "Jekyll And Hyde"-behaviour, but for others it might mean that Keith thought Mick evolved to be a better guitarist.

Date: January 6, 2015 14:08

DandelionPowderman
To me, it seems that you get annoyed by Keith's behaviour, and that this is shining a bit too much through in your arguments.

I love MJ's playing on many tracks, and I'm above average when it comes to judging guitar playing.

That said, MJ has made some strange choices over the years regarding sound - especially from 1989 and on. Sad Sad Sad, Rock And A Hard Place, Miss You live come to mind.

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with his playing on Sway or Stop Breakin' Down, as I mentioned. Add Back Of My Hand to that list, btw. But he is a basic rhythm player with a very limited right hand.

It's not hard to find loads of Mick-compliments from Keith. This time, I'm leaning to belive that he really found Mick a limited player round 1970. Later on (80s) he said that Mick had become great.

For you that may be "Jekyll And Hyde"-behaviour, but for others it might mean that Keith thought Mick evolved to be a better guitarist.

The quotes are from 2002...so KR had MJ evolve from great in the 80s to "yeah...well...it's not his thing."
I'm mentioning KR's behaviour which I find increasingly strange lately (when seeing and reading interviews chronologically) just as how people are defending all his 'not accurate' views which are in most cases deliberately insulting bs. When mentioning or analyzing negative behaviour that other people cheer (because they're a fan of the person with that behaviour and refuse to see how negative it is) you often see that people get annoyed and project that to the person who just tries to analyze and mentioning...
Now let me say again I always like his jokes...so cheer up!
And it's not about you...another cheer up!

(OT) Hej, do you guys up north quit smoking or drinking on January 1 by the way?

Date: January 6, 2015 14:12

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman

The quotes are from 2002...so KR had MJ evolve from great in the 80s to "yeah...well...it's not his thing."
I'm mentioning KR's behaviour which I find increasingly strange lately (when seeing and reading interviews chronologically) just as how people are defending all his 'not accurate' views which are in most cases deliberately insulting bs. When mentioning or analyzing negative behaviour that other people cheer (because they're a fan of the person with that behaviour and refuse to see how negative it is) you often see that people get annoyed and project that to the person who just tries to analyze and mentioning...
Now let me say again I always like his jokes...so cheer up!
And it's not about you...another cheer up!

(OT) Hej, do you guys up north quit smoking or drinking on January 1 by the way?

Alles is goed , Dreamer . Bedankt voor uw bezorgdheid! winking smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: January 6, 2015 16:34

DandelionPowderman
Santana did some of that stuff the year before, Mike. I'm sure there were others as well - mixing in some latin and jazz in their rock solos, like Taylor did here.

Good stuff, but nothing groundbreaking or earth-shattering about it, imo. But indeed a taste of what to come on SF and IORR.

Amen to that. Santana was already blazing those trails and introduced Latino flavor to Rock n Roll. I think it was somewhat different and refreshing hearing it from an English rock and blues band - the Stones.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 6, 2015 17:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Maindefender

peace

- Doxa

From the book "The Faces : Had Me a Real Good Time" [books.google.com]

"This Day in Music" states the same: [www.thisdayinmusic.com]

Also, Roy Carr's book "The Rolling Stones an illustrated record", states Townshend and Lane were on back-up vocals on Sticky Fingers, but does not state which songs!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2015 17:45

Thanks 2000 LYFH - very odd!
"This day" and Carr just copy/compile other sources -
I wonder if the author of the Faces book is copying them or vice versa

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home