Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14
Re: Have Mick and Keith become friends again?
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:52

Naturalust

Whew. Thanks for tackling this stonehearted because I didn't want to touch it, lest I be told again how Stones fans think. smoking smiley

peace

but he didnt tackle it-he completely ignored half of what i said which was naming hit albums and TOURS.

he crapped himself listing #1 record after #1 record and completely disregarded the live aspect of rock and roll which is what you beatleheads do every damn time.

live is everything-making a hit album and incorporating the songs into your live set for the tour.your band HAD NO LIVE ACT-

playing a bunch of bars and nightclubs in germany and then doing the teenybopper circuit to a bunch of screaming girls isnt big time rock and roll -
when you rattle off all those hit records this is what i see-

the backstreet boys were far more important to music than jimi hendrix-look it up. hendrix sold 30 million records to the boys 37 million. hendrix never had a number one single the backstreet boys had many.
the public prefers the backstreet boys every time-

which is why this thread means something to the fans-if mick and keith are getting along they write new music for us to hear live.is it really that hard to understand?

Posted by: marlau ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:13

Naturalust
Bliss
How did this pertinent and interesting discussion about the status of Mick and Keith's current r'ship deteriorate into yet another tedious discussion about the Beatles?

I hope BV closes it.

No playground politics please. I'd say how did it take so long for this tedious discussion of Mick and Keith's relationship to start including more interesting topics. tongue sticking out smiley

I mean how much more can anyone who doesn't know these guys say about it? Let's summarize 12 long pages of discussion.

1. Yes they are friends
2. No they have grown apart and are no longer friends, never socialize together.
3. They are only business partners and appear to be friends on stage.
4. They are brothers who sometimes are close and sometimes not.
5. Their (perceived) relationship problems are good for business

In the end it is really none of our business and as long as they are still playing together I could care less whether they are thick as thieves.

peace

thumbs up

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: January 17, 2015 13:43

Keith tends to say these callous things, and doesn't do a great job of being PC about it. I mean that's one of his Keef qualities, he isn't always there verbally, like saying "it's good to be here..." 1000 times, he's not really opening up about what he is thinking at the moment.
Except through his guitar, where he plays exactly what he is feeling... And he is playing very lovingly off of Micks vocals. That level of care is a mark of true friendship for a musician. They are amazing friends, and love each other, and sometimes are over each other too. Mick sings off of Keith's cues too.

It's a musical friendship man. I've been in a band for 30 years with a guy who drove me nuts, but we played so well together we always had a great time making music. But never really socialized for 20 years. But when you are recording or touring, you hang out, you are friendly, you are mates.

I'll take you places that you never, ever been

Date: January 17, 2015 19:18

Freejack
Keith tends to say these callous things, and doesn't do a great job of being PC about it. I mean that's one of his Keef qualities, he isn't always there verbally, like saying "it's good to be here..." 1000 times, he's not really opening up about what he is thinking at the moment.
Except through his guitar, where he plays exactly what he is feeling... And he is playing very lovingly off of Micks vocals. That level of care is a mark of true friendship for a musician. They are amazing friends, and love each other, and sometimes are over each other too. Mick sings off of Keith's cues too.

It's a musical friendship man. I've been in a band for 30 years with a guy who drove me nuts, but we played so well together we always had a great time making music. But never really socialized for 20 years. But when you are recording or touring, you hang out, you are friendly, you are mates.

thumbs up

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:12

lem motlow
Naturalust

Whew. Thanks for tackling this stonehearted because I didn't want to touch it, lest I be told again how Stones fans think. smoking smiley

peace

but he didnt tackle it-he completely ignored half of what i said which was naming hit albums and TOURS.

he crapped himself listing #1 record after #1 record and completely disregarded the live aspect of rock and roll which is what you beatleheads do every damn time.

live is everything-making a hit album and incorporating the songs into your live set for the tour.your band HAD NO LIVE ACT-

playing a bunch of bars and nightclubs in germany and then doing the teenybopper circuit to a bunch of screaming girls isnt big time rock and roll -
when you rattle off all those hit records this is what i see-

the backstreet boys were far more important to music than jimi hendrix-look it up. hendrix sold 30 million records to the boys 37 million. hendrix never had a number one single the backstreet boys had many.
the public prefers the backstreet boys every time-

which is why this thread means something to the fans-if mick and keith are getting along they write new music for us to hear live.is it really that hard to understand?

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:49

Naturalust
treaclefingers
lem motlow
dcba
jlowe
Possibly of some relevance:
JOHN LENNON PLAYBOY INTERVIEW SEPT 1980.

Lennon was a bitter jealous old man with questionable tastes in women, period.
Had he lived till the new millenium he'd be some sort of Ginger Baker with a Hummingbird guitar...

seriously-he was a joke then.what was his alternative? sitting home for five years and forcing his crazy,talentless wife on his fans.

lennon sucked live,that elephant band at msg was a mess.nah,sorry johnny boy i'll take the guys who cant grow up any day and the $1 billion worth of tickets sold says alot of people agree with me.

sad truth is the beatles in the 70's were thought of as a pop group from the past decade,it was music your older brothers and sisters listened to from the old days and that made lennon bitter.the rolling stones on the other hand were even more relevant than ever before ,decadent,glam,druggie,and playing their asses off.

the beatles could never pull any of that off-thats why lennon keeps talking about "fag dancing"[how enlightened of him] and "evil black eye makeup" being a "joke in the future"- since here in 2015 the rolling stones are pretty much universaly considered the best rock and roll band ever and every other rap or hip hop song you hear drops micks name i'd say the guy doing the "fag dancing" and the guitar player with the" evil black eye make-up" won out.so,no i wouldnt think words from a guy in a band that broke up in 1970 would have any relevance to mick and keith in 2015.

I'm a Beatles aficionado and I completely agree with you.

Regardless of Lennon's comments, I'd love to hear what he would be doing in 2015. I've got a feeling he would have grown musically, created a considerable body of recorded material since 1980, separated from Yoko, and probably guested with the Stones on their latest tour! His talent and songwriting skills are unimpeachable, he would have continued to be successful.

His comments on the Stones were probably shared by many people and seemed pretty spot on at the time. As much as I love the Stones I'm often surprised they get away with playing 30-40 year old music to sold out crowds who pay big bucks for the opportunity....until I see a concert. smoking smiley

peace

Me too. I wonder if he'd even still have been with Yoko? I still think there was an underlying jealousy there. I think he thought of himself as 'better' than the Stones, and was annoyed they were successfully moving forward and evolving and he didn't have a clear path forward. That was pretty much borne out as well throughout the 70s.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 17, 2015 22:23

Naturalust

I'd love to hear what he would be doing in 2015. I've got a feeling he would have grown musically, created a considerable body of recorded material since 1980, separated from Yoko, and probably guested with the Stones on their latest tour! His talent and songwriting skills are unimpeachable, he would have continued to be successful.

Knowing the guy I think Lennon would have gone bombastic on :

- the New Romantics movement 1983
("hairdressers making music")

- the Rap trend 1985 or so ("Black guys who don't know their roots")

- the Techno movement 1989 ("bloody music made with bloody machines")

- the Grunge movement 1991 ("silly lads with dirty clothes")

- Napster ("bloody thieves with computers")

etc etc etc. >grinning smiley<
So with all the ranting that would have left very little time to record and release music.

And I'm not even mentioning extra-musical events (like the 2000 election of Bush-43) that would have ignited John's ire...

Date: January 18, 2015 20:38

marlau
Freejack

thumbs up

Yeah, so maybe Keith and Mick are friends when they are on tour, but maybe (and probably) they never socialize when they are not on tour. But I would have prefered the contrary... sad smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 19, 2015 02:05

Freejack
Except through his guitar, where he plays exactly what he is feeling... And he is playing very lovingly off of Micks vocals. That level of care is a mark of true friendship for a musician. They are amazing friends, and love each other, and sometimes are over each other too. Mick sings off of Keith's cues too....

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 02:07 by angee.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 19, 2015 02:21

dcba
Naturalust

I'd love to hear what he would be doing in 2015. I've got a feeling he would have grown musically, created a considerable body of recorded material since 1980, separated from Yoko, and probably guested with the Stones on their latest tour! His talent and songwriting skills are unimpeachable, he would have continued to be successful.

So with all the ranting that would have left very little time to record and release music.

And I'm not even mentioning extra-musical events (like the 2000 election of Bush-43) that would have ignited John's ire...

Then they're'd'av been that book he wrote in 2010, called "Imagine Life" where he'd have called Paul "Debbie" and screeched on about Paul's "Puny Pepper".

It would have been ugly for about a year or so, but they'd have regrouped for their 50th Anniversary Tour, with Dhani standing in for George.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2015 02:24

angee
Freejack

Except through his guitar, where he plays exactly what he is feeling... And he is playing very lovingly off of Micks vocals. That level of care is a mark of true friendship for a musician. They are amazing friends, and love each other, and sometimes are over each other too. Mick sings off of Keith's cues too....

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up cool smiley

As much as I like the fact that this post has got our angee excited, I believe the interplay between Mick and Keith is more a sign of practiced professionalism and that Mick is probably taking vocal cues from Chuck more than Keith. When pro musicians are playing together they are reserving their love and touch for the music and rarely thinking of personal feelings for the other musicians.

There are brief exceptions when someone is screwing up badly or the magic is overwhelmingly good and you look around to see if it's not just you, but as soon as the thoughts are solidified to personal ones, the music is going to suffer. Maybe it's different for the Stones after they have played a tune 1000 times and they can let their mind wander, but I doubt it.

If your looking to the live performances for signs of friendship, I'd look at the body language and interplay between songs, not the musical interplay.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 02:32 by Naturalust.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 19, 2015 06:31

Hey, Naturalust, I and others have looked at the body language and interplay between songs.

This was just another suggested dimension, about the cues, the musical interplay.

Okay, if you say so. It made some sense to me, subtly, from watching them up close and listening during
the last round or two. There seemed more connections between the two, more of a flow, no breaks, with
a physical interplay too, moving closer together, facing each other more.

I'm not a musician. Perhaps you should talk to Freejack about this, who posted the idea.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 19, 2015 07:58

angee

Okay, if you say so. It made some sense to me, subtly, from watching them up close and listening during
the last round or two. There seemed more connections between the two, more of a flow, no breaks, with

Yeah you could be right, I'm just suggesting that Mick and Keith are such pros that they could be despising each other on any given night and it probably wouldn't effect the music too much.

We all seem to love the concept of brotherly love and our desire to bask in it may influence our perceptions somewhat. I know that when I get together with some of my close male friends and we are basically having a love fest, we often look to see our girlfriends and wives just watching and smiling at the interaction. They say they are just infatuated with the good vibes and open expression of (non-sexual) love between grown men.

But this is your area of expertise so you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. The concept adds to the appeal of any band, certainly has in the case of Mick and Keith and the Stones. This photo shines with that appeal.

[www.google.com]

peace

Date: January 19, 2015 12:54

angee
Hey, Naturalust, I and others have looked at the body language and interplay between songs.

This was just another suggested dimension, about the cues, the musical interplay.

I'm not a musician. Perhaps you should talk to Freejack about this, who posted the idea.

The stuff beyond the professionalism will always shine through (and it does) smiling smiley

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:27

jlowe
Possibly of some relevance:
JOHN LENNON PLAYBOY INTERVIEW SEPT 1980.
"You know they are congratulating the Stones on being together 112 years. Whooopee! At least Charlie and Bill still got their families. In the (19)80s they will be asking "Why are these guys still together? Cant they hang it on their own? Why do they have to be surrounded by a gang? Is the little leader scared someones gonna knife him in the back?" Thats gonna be the question! They are going to look back at the Beatles and the Stones and all those guys as relics. The days when all those guys were just men will be on the news reels, you know. They will show pictures of the guy with lipstick wriggling his ass and the four guys with the evil black make up trying to look raunchy. Thats gonna be the joke in the future, not a couple siging together or living and working together. Its alright when you are 16,17,18 to have male companions and idols. OK? Its tribal and its gang and its fine. But when it continues and you sre stll doing it when you are 40, that means you are stll 16 in your head."

This says more about how middle-aged John Lennon felt about himself than it does about The Rolling Stones. Interestingly, in the 25x5 film Jagger says something to the effect of the same thing...that the Stones started out as a gang but time inevitably changes things.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2015 22:26

They're still a gang when anyone of them is ambushed ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: January 20, 2015 00:12

I should know the answer to this but I don't- what was Mick's reaction/ response when Keith suffered the brain injury? Did he fly to NZ? Any public comment or rumors of private support?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:10

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 02:29 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:23

Looks recent to me, but they probably just happened to be at the same restaurant...

Pretty sure that from the Rolling Stone cover shoot with Jacky White back in 2008

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:23

^ Looks to be around the time of Shine A Light. Keith still has his old teeth, and not the new super-long pearly whites.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:27

lem motlow
...he was bono before there was a bono and he wouldve been been bono deluxe,a guy who thinks everything he does and says is twice as important as it really is,except he wpuld be fat, bald and twice as annoying-his opinions on the stones meant nothing then and they still dont.

That's funny. In a different way. Because, seemingly unlike Lennon, Bono loves him some Rolling Stones...

Date: January 20, 2015 18:40

Welcome back, latebloomer! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:40

stonehearted
^ Looks to be around the time of Shine A Light. Keith still has his old teeth, and not the new super-long pearly whites.

Huh? I missed that I guess.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:49

DandelionPowderman
Welcome back, latebloomer! thumbs up

Thanks Dandy, not part of the regular touring company, but I'll be making special guest appearances from time to time. It's good to be here, it's good to be....well you know how it goes. smiling smiley

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: January 23, 2015 00:19

It's the not knowing that is the best bit for me as a fan. If it was known for certain that they regularly had lovely man-chats and beers together it would take away the frisson (for me).
If we knew for certain that they couldn't stand each other - that would sort of kill the imagination. And if it was definitely reported that they were indifferent - well, that that would be the worst.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: January 23, 2015 21:03

WhipMSGHBO

There is so much going on here, that it shows relationships, live.

Brilliant performance, Keith thinks Mick is too loud, tries do get
Charlie's attention, Charlie looks away, because he is concentrating, Keith screams a Mick to turn down, Mick sticks out his tongue...song continues, Mick turns down...Keith takes over his guitar part, which is pure Stones...Mick vocals are perfect....Mick ENDS the song. Just look and listen to who is doing what, it's a pleasure for us!

Gotta look more than once, don't you? Just to hear it right. Of course, why else would anyone take the time to post thousands of opinions on this site?

It's clear Mick and Keith are in charge....which pretty much sums up
how their relationship works, I think! YING YANG....I mean, what does anyone really know if they are "friends again?", cept Mick and Keith anyway. You can take all the videos and interviews in the world and not be able to figure out exactly what their relationship is...I think Keith is more right, they are like brothers through life and business. Mick will be the first one to point out they aren't blood...Keith will then point out they know each other better than blood....goes on and on...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 23, 2015 21:10

treaclefingers
dcba
Naturalust

Then they're'd'av been that book he wrote in 2010, called "Imagine Life" where he'd have called Paul "Debbie" and screeched on about Paul's "Puny Pepper".

It would have been ugly for about a year or so, but they'd have regrouped for their 50th Anniversary Tour, with Dhani standing in for George.

I pictured him writing songs for Pixar movies with Randy Newman....

To answer the thread's question: No.
Follow up question, does it matter?: I'm shattered, but no.

Date: January 24, 2015 02:06

onestep
WhipMSGHBO

There is so much going on here, that it shows relationships, live.

Brilliant performance, Keith thinks Mick is too loud, tries do get
Charlie's attention, Charlie looks away, because he is concentrating, Keith screams a Mick to turn down, Mick sticks out his tongue...song continues, Mick turns down...Keith takes over his guitar part, which is pure Stones...Mick vocals are perfect....Mick ENDS the song. Just look and listen to who is doing what, it's a pleasure for us!

Gotta look more than once, don't you? Just to hear it right. Of course, why else would anyone take the time to post thousands of opinions on this site?

It's clear Mick and Keith are in charge....which pretty much sums up
how their relationship works, I think! YING YANG....I mean, what does anyone really know if they are "friends again?", cept Mick and Keith anyway. You can take all the videos and interviews in the world and not be able to figure out exactly what their relationship is...I think Keith is more right, they are like brothers through life and business. Mick will be the first one to point out they aren't blood...Keith will then point out they know each other better than blood....goes on and on...

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 25, 2015 14:24

One assumes The Stones Group of Companies, based in Amsterdam, hold Annual meetings to which the main Directors might be expected to attend.
With the Beatles Apple, reps (Business Managers/Widows/Legal Advisers) might represent the Artists.
With the Stones, their " Advisers"seem to be more background figures . Nor have their wives ever been known to get involved in business matters.
I am sure that Mick makes regular low key trips to Amsterdam however.

Date: January 25, 2015 22:32

jlowe
One assumes The Stones Group of Companies, based in Amsterdam, hold Annual meetings to which the main Directors might be expected to attend.
With the Beatles Apple, reps (Business Managers/Widows/Legal Advisers) might represent the Artists.
With the Stones, their " Advisers"seem to be more background figures . Nor have their wives ever been known to get involved in business matters.
I am sure that Mick makes regular low key trips to Amsterdam however.

Yes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 13 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home