Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14
Re: have Mick and Keith become friends again?
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:23

when i was younger i believed all of the keith/jane rose bullshit about mick,then when i started to grow up a bit it was almost how a person begins to understand their parents better as they mature.

i love keith,he's been my favorite guitar player for decades and still is to this day.having said that,the guy is like a spoiled child and some of the things he says [and does] have no relation to the real world.

the way he sees very adult situations is amazing.when he said mick was "jealous" of his friendship with gram parsons-gram was a songwriter,if him and keith came up with something together he may have wanted co-credit which would have cost them alot of money.money they needed badly at a time they were broke and were in the process of losing the rights to every song they had ever written.you can just imagine jagger doing the facepalm..

it makes for a fun charactor for the fans to follow but years of that in real life would wear on anyone.putting the entire bands future at risk to sneak drugs into canada-"they really are trying to make rock and roll illegal man"-...keith, drugs are illegal,the music is fine...

how anyone can just blast their partner in the media for decades and say "oh,he has rhino skin"is just bizzare- no pal,the guy fking hates you.i know this because there isnt a human being on this earth that would take that abuse and be cool with it-its not possible.

question-"you and keith are like brothers-" micks answer -"keith always says that because he's an only child.i have my own brother i'm very close to.keith and i have a very good WORKING RELATIONSHIP-
that says it all really since mick himself had used that term "we're brothers" before.
whens the last time anyone has seen them together in a non-working situation?20 years,30years? so much for that "rhino skin"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:36

well damn..

its understandable if Jagger has less than a friendly attitude toward ol' Keith..

but to say he effin hates him is a bit of an overstatement probably..

then again, what do we know? I always thought the way Keith several times jeopardized the band (and all its employees as well) was reason enough for MJ to harshly lay down the law, which he probably did..

which probably pissed Keith off even more.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:46

yes

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 11, 2014 21:57

Loudei
You can see and sense their friendship here...

video: [youtu.be]

Crap, how did I miss this interview? Amazing, really to see them talk that much about each other like that.

It confirms for me just why the ABB tour was so shambolic. Musically, they were such a fractured band at that point; hardly gelling during most of it. Seeing that Mick was on the verge of physical altercations explains so much.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 11, 2014 22:30

DandelionPowderman
Charlie:

- They're like brothers

LOL! grinning smiley

I've known siblings who can't stand each other, and while my sister and I get along well, we talk maybe once a year, and exchange an email now and then to keep in touch.

So yeah, like brothers.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 00:26

In the nineties, Jagger used to refer to Keith as "my partner", with a subtle, camp raised eyebrow. I think "working relationship" understates the case. They're more like a married couple who stays together through thick and thin, allowing each other enough rope to have affairs and do what they will as long as it doesn't step over the line and endanger the family. Mick's 80's behavior stepped over the line, as did Keith's todgergate.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: December 12, 2014 00:57

The 2 are friends. Sure they don't hang around together like they did in the 60's, but who of us does still with their fiends from some 40 years ago. I'm pretty sure the losses they both experienced this year have brought them even closer together. About who said what to whom in the media, the Stones always been communication wise a malfunctioning group of people. They use the media, yes childish but the togetherness they showed on stage this year is more important than words you read.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 12, 2014 01:24

lem motlow
when i was younger i believed all of the keith/jane rose bullshit about mick,then when i started to grow up a bit it was almost how a person begins to understand their parents better as they mature.

i love keith,he's been my favorite guitar player for decades and still is to this day.having said that,the guy is like a spoiled child and some of the things he says [and does] have no relation to the real world.

the way he sees very adult situations is amazing.when he said mick was "jealous" of his friendship with gram parsons-gram was a songwriter,if him and keith came up with something together he may have wanted co-credit which would have cost them alot of money.money they needed badly at a time they were broke and were in the process of losing the rights to every song they had ever written.you can just imagine jagger doing the facepalm..

it makes for a fun charactor for the fans to follow but years of that in real life would wear on anyone.putting the entire bands future at risk to sneak drugs into canada-"they really are trying to make rock and roll illegal man"-...keith, drugs are illegal,the music is fine...

how anyone can just blast their partner in the media for decades and say "oh,he has rhino skin"is just bizzare- no pal,the guy fking hates you.i know this because there isnt a human being on this earth that would take that abuse and be cool with it-its not possible.

question-"you and keith are like brothers-" micks answer -"keith always says that because he's an only child.i have my own brother i'm very close to.keith and i have a very good WORKING RELATIONSHIP-
that says it all really since mick himself had used that term "we're brothers" before.
whens the last time anyone has seen them together in a non-working situation?20 years,30years? so much for that "rhino skin"

Yeah lots of truth to your words there. Their closeness depends on which Keith and which Mick we are talking about in a specific period of time. Keith may be more of "a nice bunch of fellows" that Mick is these days. Certainly the drugs and alcohol have made Keith a very different person at different times in his life. Maybe not so much in his public persona but certainly in his personal relationships. That's just what drugs and alcohol tend to do.

I think Keith's whole need to change his consciousness for so many years is really the reason Mick can't relate to him on a close friendship level. Mick outgrew it, Keith didn't and probably never will. Their closest times together were probably when they were taking the same drugs and since Mick cleaned up it would likely be hard for him to relate to Keith on a social level. Drunk and stoned people don't generally mix well with sober ones.

This is why I see their relationship seems to be a bit better recently, Keith just isn't so wasted these days. But I'd still be curious to look in his medicine cabinet and see just what legal prescriptions make him tick these days. If his daughters are any clue, I'd say there are still some secrets hidden away in there. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 12, 2014 10:03

It is simply not imaginable that you get along constantly as 'best friends' in such a rough Business over a period of five decades.

Moreover, the tensions between those two guys to me appear as a key factor in their huge, huge success. Would that have been possible with a constant 'best pals' attitude?

Nevertheless I think that they know how close they are and how much they need each other regardless of an actual situation.

Sounds familiar? Ask an old couple, and you'll frequently get the same answers.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 12, 2014 11:48

I think in a sense their r'ship is indeed like family - a family member who has hurt you and insulted you beyond belief, but for unchangeable reasons, you are forced to interact with one another and you do your best to make the best of it. But deep down, you do not forget the injury they caused you, and never trust the other person.

If the RS ended, I doubt Mick and Keith would have anything further to do with one another, except as business required.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 12, 2014 12:01

They're not family at all, this is a business but their line of business is their image, their rock n roll lifestyle, their heritage so now and then they have to smile at eachother on stage.

Date: December 12, 2014 13:26

Bliss
I think in a sense their r'ship is indeed like family - a family member who has hurt you and insulted you beyond belief, but for unchangeable reasons, you are forced to interact with one another and you do your best to make the best of it. But deep down, you do not forget the injury they caused you, and never trust the other person.

If the RS ended, I doubt Mick and Keith would have anything further to do with one another, except as business required.

Is that typical of family relations? smiling smiley

No, it's more like "you won't forget, BUT you forgive - because you're family", imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 13:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 12, 2014 14:13

I think it depends how bad the injury is, and whether there are good memories to counterbalance it. A jerk of a brother-in-law or cousin might be written off for good, whereas a brother or sister's crimes could be overlooked because of the good memories you share of growing up together.

Keith saw Mick's 1980s solo projects as evidence of gross betrayal, and I imagine Mick saw Todgergate as an unnecessary and incredible humiliation. But Mick is now 100% on board with the RS, all solo projects forgotten (apart from ones like Superheavy, which are clearly in a different realm), so Keith can put his past grievances behind him with ease. For Mick...not so easily. Todgergate will live on and on and on... But being the practical businessman that he is, Mick will continue their business partnership until the bitter end.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 12, 2014 15:44

Of course the whole Todger issue had been a Keith jibe for years ( "well hung friend of mine , your size 8 and I'm size 9" from I could have stood you up ) it wasn't new. I think what was different was that the book turned out to be a best seller and Mick just wasn't expecting keith to be able to deliver a successful book.

The key issue to whether they have more than a business relationship IMO is whether keith is good enough to play competently and deliver a performance - that's where the connection begins to bloom a bit. When Keith had really lost his chops circa 2006 - 12 there was no real possibility of communication with Mick, but as he found a way to deliver a simplified but effective version of stuff and both focus and relax a bit on stage, you saw the links to the past rekindled a little. It remains to be seen if he cares enough to continue to get better or whether he's given it his last shot( " it's all I've got " )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 15:59 by EJM.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 12, 2014 16:11

I have healthy business and working relationships, but when it comes to family I sometimes wish I could head for the hills. I can only spend an hour in the company of my brother and his wife; after that, the itchy feeling of wanting to get away comes in.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: December 12, 2014 20:02

Freejack played a major part.

Date: December 12, 2014 20:31

I think what was different was that the book turned out to be a best seller and Mick just wasn't expecting keith to be able to deliver a successful book.

What? I think the anticipation and guaranteed success of Keith's book was pretty much a given. Like it or not, stories from Keith about so many interesting issues, people and Stones moments, relationships and business was going to be a huge seller no matter what he said.

I'm thankful he didn't hold back about his feelings about Mick, Anita's inability to kick heroin and other unpleasant subjects but that todger business was a bit juvenile to be coming from a nearly 70 year old man, strange and unnecessary. I doubt we would have got near as much honesty from Mick, there just seems too much he is unwilling to talk about, which may make him a more valued and classy friend but certainly a less interesting author.

peace

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: December 12, 2014 21:32

Anybody who thinks they aren't great friends is idiotic. They're the closest of friends who as Keith recently put it are...."thick as thieves". Just because they don't go "clubbing" together after shows at age 70 + doesn't mean that they have a strict business relationship..."Become friends again"???? Pure rubbish!!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:56

I remember some quotes concerning Allen Klein, well before they curtailed his services in 1970.

MICK. Hes ok (Klein), but you wouldnt want to go on holiday with him.
KEITH. Well, we only have to have two business meetings with him (Klein)a year.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:05

Their relationship has evolved during the years as they and their lives have changed. We, fans, all dream and long for the magical years of their youth when they were very close and for a time lived within walking distance of each other on Chayne Walk. But the romance and poetry of youth is fleeting, its energy, hope, vigour and feeling one can change the world are gone once one becomes an adult. Those magical years inspired that magnificent musical output we all love. They now live in different countries and the deep love and connection they had, is still there alas in a completely different form. It is expressed at times such as in moments of the recent European Tour. They also seem to move in separate social circles. But such is life.......smoking smiley

Date: December 13, 2014 23:42

it's strange - the further Mick grows away from Keith, the less likeable Keith becomes.

Date: December 13, 2014 23:53

Justin
Loudei
You can see and sense their friendship here...

video: [youtu.be]

Crap, how did I miss this interview? Amazing, really to see them talk that much about each other like that.

It confirms for me just why the ABB tour was so shambolic. Musically, they were such a fractured band at that point; hardly gelling during most of it. Seeing that Mick was on the verge of physical altercations explains so much.

Thats a good view because Mick and Keith are not talking down to the interviewer; matter of fact it seems they are aiming to please.
Mick drank from the same bottle that keith had.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:06

See Mick & Keith kiss ... affection - HERE at the 2 minute mark [www.rollingstone.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2014 01:41

Okey, Keith is size 9, Mick is size 8. Why is that so important to Keith? I don't get it...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 14, 2014 07:40

Palace Revolution 2000
it's strange - the further Mick grows away from Keith, the less likeable Keith becomes.

That is a pretty great statement. So true, actually.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 14, 2014 09:13

Stoneage
Okey, Keith is size 9, Mick is size 8. Why is that so important to Keith? I don't get it...
It doesn't but he knows it irritates Mick !

Date: December 14, 2014 09:16

Read this article and ask yourself if Mick can ever truly trust Keith again.

Slate article

Date: December 14, 2014 10:55

Bliss
Read this article and ask yourself if Mick can ever truly trust Keith again.

Slate article

Ouch. Some rough words there. Easy to see Mick's possible side of the coin there and it's painful to read.

But I guess an awfully lot of people must like their rock stars rough, wild, immature, drug addicted, clueless about business, drunk and self important.

Such logical, mature, professional and intellectual perspectives, while making perfect sense, represent everything rock and roll rallied against when it took the world by storm and caused millions of young kids to pick up guitars and taunt the older generation with crazy sounds and songs.

This Mick sounds like someone I'd love to have as a business manager, accountant or PR guy while Keith has kept it crazy enough to be such an interesting character that he still represents Rock and Roll. Obviously together they make a pretty successful combination and I love 'em both.

But it's a good thing Mick can still sing and dance so well.....lol.

peace

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 14, 2014 11:12

Imho over the years Mick has grown/evolved while Keef regressed.

Mick is the adult, ferociously loyal to the band (have you ever heard him badmouthing anyone, for ex. Charlie for his drug stint of the mid-80's? No). He doesn't just wash his dirty laundry in private I suspect he convinces himself there's NO dirty laundry to wash, ever. A real mensch I tell ya.

Keef on the other hand... confused smiley Always arguing, always nagging, always complaining, stabbing Mick in the back. A childish behaviour for sure. That's why I think he regressed.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 14, 2014 11:17

The above link to the material received by "Bill Wyman" has I believe been posted here before and has been determined to be fake. It is merely "he saw that it seemed to be the thoughts, at some length, of singer Mick Jagger".... Therefore, an imagined response of Mick over Keith's autobio. The "journalist" in question is also named "Bill Wyman".

So, the words "I am, I see here, marginally endowed, if I read Keith's sniggering aright. I do not sing well, either" should not be taken as a quote, but instead merely as a fictional speculation, nothing more. Otherwise, it would have been more widely disseminated and confirmed by Jagger himself, in follow-up interviews. As far as we can tell, he has never publicly officially commented on his longtime business partner's tell-all book.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home