Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 126
Like a Rolling Stone
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:02

I recently saw Bob Dylan in concert and would like to say that the man is a bit eccentric. A day before the concert we received an automated message, warning us not to record the concert. At the concert, the ushers warned us not to photograph or film the concert, as Dylan and his band would immediately leave the stage and not return. He does not want to be introduced by anyone. At exactly 8 pm, he and his group walked on stage and played for over 90 minutes, and at the end they walked off the stage. The band members were not recognized in any way. The man next to me said that he had paid for a meet and greet prior to a Dylan concert. This was attended by his band, but Dylan just walked through the crowd of people without a word, and went to his dressing room.

At the concert Bob showed great talent by singing, and playing the harmonica, piano, and guitar. He sang several Sinatra songs, but does not have the type of voice for this type of song. He played only two songs I recognized, and no Like a Rolling Stone or Lay Lady Lay. I feel he owes it to his fans to play more of the songs that made him a legend. This was not what I expected.

I think the man needs to chill. Maybe he should associate more with other musicians, like Mick and Keith, who have in fact played with him.

Any comments??

Re: Like a Rolling Stone
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:14

I saw him live once, about 8 years ago, and was very underwhelmed. Very hard to understand, no interaction with, or even any interest in the audience. He's left some incredible work on vinyl, but for me it didn't translate to stage. Fortunately, Elvis Costello opened for him, and that's the reason I actually went, so no big loss.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:33

SomeTorontoGirl
I saw him live once, about 8 years ago, and was very underwhelmed. Very hard to understand, no interaction with, or even any interest in the audience. He's left some incredible work on vinyl, but for me it didn't translate to stage. Fortunately, Elvis Costello opened for him, and that's the reason I actually went, so no big loss.

I personally believe Dylan is far and away the greatest artist of the rock era but also the worst live performer ever. That being said I don't know why people care if he interacts with the audience. I hear that complaint all the time and it makes no sense to me. You go to concerts to hear music not for interaction with the artist.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:44

You saw him playing guitar? He didn´t do that for years...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:48

Sucks you didn't have a good time. In the end, he's definitely an artist you "take a chance with" when you pay to see. Thats good and bad, but mostly bad. Bad in the way that I've never pulled the trigger cause with the prices he charges I never feel confident enough to take that risk. I don't mind that he doesn't play all his hits. In a way that is refreshing, and it makes room for other songs, but if you're only seeing him once (like I would be) I'd kinda wait for a setlist I really wanted.

I don't know what he would change. Again, he's always kinda been like this. He was always capable of putting on a great show, but in his own way and it was always a toss up. Sad because he has the catalogue to make each show incredible. But he doesn't have all the lights and bombast of a Stones show, he doesn't interact with you or give you insight like a Bruce Springsteen. The show I almost saw was the one where Knopfler was opening for him and my thought process was "well if Dylan sucks at least Mark will be good." Passed it up because I saw the Who like 2 nights before and just didn't have the money for a major weekend like that. In the end, I don't blame Dylan because at this point people should know what they are gambling on, but I do feel bad for those that don't enjoy it and understand that. In the end I don't go because I'm too confident that'll be my feeling as well.

Date: November 6, 2016 20:11

flilflam
I recently saw Bob Dylan in concert and would like to say that the man is a bit eccentric. A day before the concert we received an automated message, warning us not to record the concert. At the concert, the ushers warned us not to photograph or film the concert, as Dylan and his band would immediately leave the stage and not return. He does not want to be introduced by anyone. At exactly 8 pm, he and his group walked on stage and played for over 90 minutes, and at the end they walked off the stage. The band members were not recognized in any way. The man next to me said that he had paid for a meet and greet prior to a Dylan concert. This was attended by his band, but Dylan just walked through the crowd of people without a word, and went to his dressing room.

At the concert Bob showed great talent by singing, and playing the harmonica, piano, and guitar. He sang several Sinatra songs, but does not have the type of voice for this type of song. He played only two songs I recognized, and no Like a Rolling Stone or Lay Lady Lay. I feel he owes it to his fans to play more of the songs that made him a legend. This was not what I expected.

I think the man needs to chill. Maybe he should associate more with other musicians, like Mick and Keith, who have in fact played with him.

Any comments??

I saw a show on that tour and it was beyond excellent, imo.

Checking out which album he toured behind might have helped.

I got Love Sick, Blowin' In The Wind, Tangled Up In Blue and She Belongs To Me among his own classics + the songbook-classics. A lovely show.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 6, 2016 20:21

3 of the 4 times I have seen Dylan he hasn't said a word or acknowledged his audience. Accept him for what he is and accept that you have seen a legend. A bit like Neil Young, he does not give sh*t about what his audience think.

Date: November 6, 2016 20:26

Valeswood
3 of the 4 times I have seen Dylan he hasn't said a word or acknowledged his audience. Accept him for what he is and accept that you have seen a legend. A bit like Neil Young, he does not give sh*t about what his audience think.

Of course he does. He just has a different way of showing it smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 6, 2016 21:27

All you hear and see at a Dylan-concert is a grumpy old man butchering his songs in a way it really hurts. I would not even attend a free concert. He is the worst live performer ever.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 6, 2016 21:35

He's not that bad.
Miles Davis was known to play concerts with his back to the audience, on occasions.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 6, 2016 22:39

He's pretty honest. Plays the songs he wants, the way he wants. I think most of his fans appreciate that.
I think he's kept himself sane this way. He's tried to be true to himself and not adopt some sort of persona to please his fans or sell himself. He's rejected anybody putting a label on him.
He did an interview in AARP (a senior magazine) a year or two ago and the questions were all about music. His answers were wide-ranging and insightful. At the end he expressed surprise and gratitude that the interviewer just wanted to talk music.
He's an artist and that demands you put a little work into the relationship.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 7, 2016 00:51

Bob's band is great. You never know what to expect from Bob though. Personally
I love his live shows and all of his new music. However, I can certainly understand a fan who has no idea what Dylan's shows are about these days being shocked. In my opinion, my only valid complaint is Bob never introduces his band.
He used to introduce them years ago but no longer.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 7, 2016 01:03

I mean, THAT´S Bob!

In Hamburgs´ Stadtpark he said in 2011: "Thank you, my friends!"
That´s the closest we ever got here.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 7, 2016 01:18

Saw Dylan with his excellent band a year ago in Düsseldorf and I was very impressed.
Setlist was a very nice balanced mixture.
Beside some mumbling before the break which I didn't understand there was no announcements or anything else...I didn't mind.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 7, 2016 01:44

Interesting first post from flilflam, particularly on a site where many complain about getting "all classics all the time."

I'll preface my remarks saying I love Bob, all eras.

First of all, he can do whatever the heck he wants. Neil Young takes a similar approach; he refuses to be a museum of himself.

Arguably, Bob performs for his MOST hardcore fans. If you listen to the boots -- and there a gazillion wonderful recordings on ExpectingRain.com, you can trace his evolution and grow to appreciate the way he restructures his back catalog. Most of the time it works, other times, not so much, but he does have a cracker-jack band who make each song interesting musically.

That said, he's an acquired taste. If you don't like his late era gravelly croon, and many don't, then you are SURE to be disappointed in his shows. Even if you like his voice (which I think still has soul), there are shows where he uses a sort-of "sing-song," downright annoying phrasing.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if you're a hardcore fan, you dig all these new twists and turns on the spiral path that is Bob Dylan. If not, you're gonna be disappointed.

T@3

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: November 7, 2016 07:45

Seeing him on 11/15, my 13th time since 1990.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 7, 2016 10:39

TooTough
You saw him playing guitar? He didn´t do that for years...

Bob did play guitar at a show in Vegas recently.

Nate thumbs up

Date: November 7, 2016 15:17

DandelionPowderman
Valeswood

Sure, if you upload "Masters of War" with Taylor on lead the audio file gets deleted. grinning smiley

Date: November 7, 2016 15:24

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Valeswood

Sure, if you upload "Masters of War" with Taylor on lead the audio file gets deleted. grinning smiley

From any show, or the officially released one? winking smiley

Date: November 7, 2016 15:33

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Valeswood

From any show, or the officially released one? winking smiley

The official released one and sure it's all about © issues. But there are lots of great artists who don't give a shit. Even Dylan himself has officially releases floating out there. No problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-07 15:34 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2016 17:27

flilflam
I feel he owes it to his fans to play more of the songs that made him a legend. This was not what I expected.

Bob feels that :
- he owes nothing to his audience no hits no classics nothing.
- he has to defy/betray his audience's expectations in order to coming up with something else live. Otherwise he feels he's a Vegas performer.

EDIT : I love Bob and I approve of his onstage behaviour! grinning smiley thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-07 19:32 by dcba.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 7, 2016 17:33

All that is no excuse for totally uninterested and unaffected singing in the wrong keys. Dylan sucks live. He´s still a great album-artist but live he isn´t worth a dime for more than 30 years now. Everybody had a laugh when he performed at Live Aid but that was stellar compared to what he is doing now.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 7, 2016 17:37

HMS
All that is no excuse for totally uninterested and unaffected singing in the wrong keys. Dylan sucks live. He´s still a great album-artist but live he isn´t worth a dime for more than 30 years now. Everybody had a laugh when he performed at Live Aid but that was stellar compared to what he is doing now.

It goes back more then 30 years. The first thing is needs to to find another vocalist who has a voice that messes with his sound the vocals don't ruin every song no matter how good the music is.

Its almost like he butchers everything on purpose.

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 7, 2016 18:24

I saw Bob Dylan and band last night. This is one excellent band, honed and thinking as one. we talk about weaving as part of the Stones' guitar sound -

this whole band weaves, especially Dylan, on piano now.

you dont often see high level, supportive musicianship as they have, imo..

Dylan sang beautifully, especially melodic and distinct on the Sinatra - era songs. Last night they did "Autumn Leaves", ...gorgeous.

they can go from blues that is so satisfying , like lyrics
(Early Roman Kings) that made me think of some kind of prophet up there..

to songs immersed in their own history, the long history of Dylan's awesome songwriting...

and he doesnt miss anything in his delivery, and that band is right there with him, its wonderful

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 7, 2016 18:28

dcba
flilflam
I feel he owes it to his fans to play more of the songs that made him a legend. This was not what I expected.

Bob feels that :
- he owes nothing to his audience no hits no classics nothing.
- he has to defy/betray his audience's expectations in order to coming up with something else live. Otherwise he feels he's a Vegas performer.

Yeah but he's always been like that. Guy went electric when everyone wanted him to just do folk acoustics. Played Concert For Bangladesh ACOUSTIC after everyone had finally embraced the electric stuff and probably would have worked better in that setting. When he played at the Band's final concert, 2 of the 5 songs he played were from his new album when every other artist there is doing their hits. It is who Bob Dylan is and it should not be a surprise to anyone that he wouldn't change with age. I get the criticism, but there's really nothing on people's corner to defend them. He's always been like this.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 7, 2016 18:37

duke richardson
I saw Bob Dylan and band last night. This is one excellent band, honed and thinking as one. we talk about weaving as part of the Stones' guitar sound -

Dylan sang beautifully, especially melodic and distinct on the Sinatra - era songs. Last night they did "Autumn Leaves", ...gorgeous.

to songs immersed in their own history, the long history of Dylan's awesome songwriting...

and he doesnt miss anything in his delivery, and that band is right there with him, its wonderful

I think he's a little eccentric

I saw him at Desert Trip he didn't like the screen in back of him to show his set and he had them turn it off after 5 minutes

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 7, 2016 18:50

reg thorpe
duke richardson

I think he's a little eccentric

I saw him at Desert Trip he didn't like the screen in back of him to show his set and he had them turn it off after 5 minutes

yeah

its clear he has a very certain way he wants to present himself, and that he wants to control that as much as possible.

no phones, cameras, and that was quite well enforced last night.. I really wanted to take a few non flash pics but didnt dare, I didnt want to get kicked out.
there were, last night, two different images that were projected behind the stage for a few minutes..neither showed any recognizable thing but were textural shapes, still, not shape shifting..

I thought of all the staging and visuals that go into a Stones show ( and many others)

Dylan chooses a very austere presentation, low lighting..

the better to emphasize the songs, i reckon. and he clearly loves all this, especially his band.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: November 7, 2016 21:12

[www.vanityfair.com]

This is a good read. It would be cool if Bob wrote a new book in this natural, fluid style. It's as if Bob is using his speaking voice in the Vanity Fair article. The concepts he discusses are accessible, as a welcoming tone rings-throughout this piece. It's all very pleasant, and I find myself happier as a result of reading Bob's words.

When I listen to Bob Dylan's music I don't think about math. Maybe some math teachers do? Remember that character from the tv show "Numbers"? Seems like I can't stop posting about tv on IORR... Maybe the "Numbers" dude would've seen trigonometry dancing in the music?

Bob said a few years ago: "Ten car pile-ups happen when the numbers don't ad up." Something like that... must be close to what he said. Somebody can double-check this stuff.

Tragedy occurs when the numbers don't ad up. Cataclysmic failures happen when the numbers don't ad up: disease, famine, war.

Is it possible that people don't value numbers like they used to? We're getting dumber, right? Isn't that what they say about people now? It can be dangerous when we put our feelings ahead of the numbers. When we value our emotions above all else, bad things can happen. Nuclear war can happen if the numbers don't ad up. When emotions are put above all else, when 'the self' predominates, when 'we' doesn't matter anymore, collective human-consciousness fails.

But anyway, back to tv... I was uncomfortable watching Bill Maher sh*t his pants on live television. Like one of his guests said: "you're making things worse." Fear is a killer. We can't give in to selfishness and fear if we want to survive as a human race.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 7, 2016 21:33

The last time I went to see Dylan was a few months ago at The Royal Albert Hall. He was superb, as was his band. He very much deserved the rave reviews he got.

What the Flimflam, and others of his ilk have to understand is that Bob Dylan is the coolest MF there is. He plays what he wants, and he plays it the way he wants to play it. He is not your human jukebox flimflam. He is not like The Stones, and others, who pander to their greatest hits audience. The way Dylan does it makes it interesting each time you go to see him. This is what his hardcore fans want. Hardcore fans of The Stones want the same, but The Stones lack the bollocks to do it though, which is a shame, because they could also be cool like Dylan if they took his lead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-07 21:51 by strat72.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: November 7, 2016 21:35

Stop it. The Stones are cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home