Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 7, 2016 21:50

Socrates1
Stop it. The Stones are cool.

They are cool, just not anywhere near as cool as they once were. They were as cool as Rock N Roll ever got back in 1972, but they are much less cooler than that now, and they do not come close to a cool mf like Dylan. Have you seen the way they dress these days, even Keith!

The problem is that Jagger just can't help but want to be in with todays moronic instagram generation. This is why The Stones have so many shitty guests up on stage. I mean.... 'Taylor @#$%& Swift' for gods sake!!!! It's just not....... cool is it?

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: November 7, 2016 21:58

They're just as cool as they always were. eye rolling smiley

Date: November 7, 2016 21:59

strat72
'Taylor @#$%& Swift' for gods sake!!!! It's just not....... cool is it?

Oh God, I didn't even read the rest of your post. Leave Taylor Swift out of this, and have a nice day.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 7, 2016 22:16

strat72
Socrates1
Stop it. The Stones are cool.

They are cool, just not anywhere near as cool as they once were. They were as cool as Rock N Roll ever got back in 1972, but they are much less cooler than that now, and they do not come close to a cool mf like Dylan. Have you seen the way they dress these days, even Keith!

The problem is that Jagger just can't help but want to be in with todays moronic instagram generation. This is why The Stones have so many shitty guests up on stage. I mean.... 'Taylor @#$%& Swift' for gods sake!!!! It's just not....... cool is it?

While I don't like the way Dylan does things with his constant butchering his own songs, I do agree about the Stones. I wish they had run their careers differently. They have cheapened themselves and there was never a need for it.

Dylan to me is worried to much about being artistic and not enough with actually sounding good.

Date: November 7, 2016 22:20

I love Taylor Swift!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 7, 2016 22:47

stanlove
Dylan to me is worried to much about being artistic and not enough with actually sounding good.

I actually don't think its that at all. People like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp and other strike me as people that care about still being artistic and not seen as an oldies act. Bob I don't think has those concerns. Not that I think he just doesn't care but... I just think he does what he wants. He always has. I don't think he'd care at all if he just stopped being relevant. I assume he tours just cause he's not bored of it yet.

Date: November 7, 2016 23:32

RollingFreak
stanlove

I actually don't think its that at all. People like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp and other strike me as people that care about still being artistic and not seen as an oldies act. Bob I don't think has those concerns. Not that I think he just doesn't care but... I just think he does what he wants. He always has. I don't think he'd care at all if he just stopped being relevant. I assume he tours just cause he's not bored of it yet.

Then he cares too much about doing what he wants and not sounding good.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 7, 2016 23:56

RollingFreak
stanlove

I've never quite understood why he feels the need to tour so much.
Between 1967-1974 almost zero concerts. He had a young family then of course.
He doesn't seem to fit the type of celeb who 'needs' the applause and adulation.
Almost certainly not for financial gain, ticket prices are not excessive.
And its not exclusively to promote new product.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2016 23:58

..... no direction home

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2016 00:26

jlowe
RollingFreak
stanlove

Between 1967-1974 almost zero concerts. He had a young family then of course.
He doesn't seem to fit the type of celeb who 'needs' the applause and adulation.
Almost certainly not for financial gain, ticket prices are not excessive.
And its not exclusively to promote new product.

Most likely he doesn't enjoy sitting at home. I can totally understand why at his age he would want to tour all the time.

Its weird how the big 3 Beatles,Stones, and Dylan were not really that active during their best periods but later on when well past their best toured a ton. That is if you count McCartney.

Date: November 8, 2016 01:01

Well it makes sense. Its easy for them now and extremely lucrative. McCartney didn't tour for ALL of the 80s. Not that he's making up for it now, but I think he enjoys it and getting the music out there. Same with the Stones. All these guys sat it out for like a decade. So I think now, they just do it when they can and it is lucrative. Just to further the legacy a bit. I mean, a lot of people pretty much think the age limit for a rock star is whenever Jagger stops, and thats so cool. If he can still deliver, there's no reason not to continue, although it is a funny contrast to when they were younger.

Dylan I truly think just does it cause he seems like a lonely guy. Not that he doesn't have a family to go back to, but its not like he goes out to parties or has a close family (I don't think. Is he even married?) so he probably gets a certain enjoyment from the constant touring or he'd just be sitting around aimlessly. And I don't mean it in a depressing way. Its good he goes out if he's not being forced to. And I feel confident if he didn't want to tour, he wouldn't. I think he likes being out there despite what it looks like. Its just that classic Dylan anti-social way.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 8, 2016 18:19

Bob once quoted this "Work while ye may for the night of Death doth come when no man shall work" as the reason why he continues to do it. Also the epiphany in Lucarno in 1987 yielded a similar reaction and he ditched all star backing bands and began the Never Ending Tour. He has said that what he does is like having a trade and he still chooses to ply that trade.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2016 18:39

stewedandkeefed
Bob once quoted this "Work while ye may for the night of Death doth come when no man shall work" as the reason why he continues to do it. Also the epiphany in Lucarno in 1987 yielded a similar reaction and he ditched all star backing bands and began the Never Ending Tour. He has said that what he does is like having a trade and he still chooses to ply that trade.

Thanks stewedandkeefed.
I hope to be able to continuously work when I get to Bob's age, no matter if many can't understand or appreciate the results of what I'm doing.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 8, 2016 18:47

Hairball
stewedandkeefed

Thanks stewedandkeefed.
I hope to be able to continuously work when I get to Bob's age, no matter if many can't understand or appreciate the results of what I'm doing.

Hairball ..

>>I hope to be able to continuously work<<

couldnt agree more..

I know you're an artist,

would you email me when you get a chance? I'm one too..

drichardson122@carolina.rr.com

thanks

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2016 19:16

Email sent duke richardson. thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2016 22:07

in some cases my hand couldn’t do what my eye was perceiving.
......................................................................................................... Mr Zimmerman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 8, 2016 22:53

stewedandkeefed
Also the epiphany in Lucarno in 1987 yielded a similar reaction and he ditched all star backing bands and began the Never Ending Tour.

I think it was the US-only Dylan/Dead 1987 tour. He saw Garcia and co. fervently playing their back catalogue and Dylan saw "the way". Amen!
The he built the 1st incarnantion of the NET band around the idea of sounding like the Clash! >grinning smiley<

Re: Like a Rolling Stone
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 8, 2016 23:10

flilflam
I recently saw Bob Dylan in concert and would like to say that the man is a bit eccentric. A day before the concert we received an automated message, warning us not to record the concert. At the concert, the ushers warned us not to photograph or film the concert, as Dylan and his band would immediately leave the stage and not return. He does not want to be introduced by anyone. At exactly 8 pm, he and his group walked on stage and played for over 90 minutes, and at the end they walked off the stage. The band members were not recognized in any way. The man next to me said that he had paid for a meet and greet prior to a Dylan concert. This was attended by his band, but Dylan just walked through the crowd of people without a word, and went to his dressing room.

At the concert Bob showed great talent by singing, and playing the harmonica, piano, and guitar. He sang several Sinatra songs, but does not have the type of voice for this type of song. He played only two songs I recognized, and no Like a Rolling Stone or Lay Lady Lay. I feel he owes it to his fans to play more of the songs that made him a legend. This was not what I expected.

I think the man needs to chill. Maybe he should associate more with other musicians, like Mick and Keith, who have in fact played with him.

Any comments??

well, what did you expect? The man has a long reputation to be a bit eccentric… Beside that – the simple point about Bob Dylan concerts is that they are about music, not about talking to the audience or show effects, fireworks, video screens, greatest hits or an artist acting like a human jukebox trying to recreate the way songs sounded 40 years ago. The simple rule at his show is: "the master makes the rules" and he plays what he wants and he plays the songs the way he wants. People just have to live with this. On the other hand - if you accept that things can be great. But I guess one of the basic problem with concert goers these days is that they are not open enough to be challenged, to listen to songs they don't know (yet), to new interpretations of old songs etc. They are just waiting for greatest hits.
And – by the way – the last time Bob Dylan performed Like A Rolling Stone was on Nov. 21st, 2012… (and well, as a hard core fan, I really appreciate that he dropped Lay, Lady, Lay…)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 8, 2016 23:59

slewan,I agree with you.
As far as I noticed,Like A Rolling Stone has been played at Desert Trip#2,Oct.14 2016.
That doesn't take anything from your fine post.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 9, 2016 00:54

Well, of course His Bobness may be pretty mute (other than singing) on stage these days BUT in his Gospel years 1980/83 or thereabouts he had plenty to say.
Some of it was very anti gay apparantly.
So, who knows things could change.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 9, 2016 01:45

shortfatfanny
slewan,I agree with you.
As far as I noticed,Like A Rolling Stone has been played at Desert Trip#2,Oct.14 2016.
That doesn't take anything from your fine post.

right, he did Like A Rolling Stone at Desert Trip (I somehow forgot it…)

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 9, 2016 14:18

bootleg series vol. 1
piano & voc
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 9, 2016 14:46

jlowe
Well, of course His Bobness may be pretty mute (other than singing) on stage these days BUT in his Gospel years 1980/83 or thereabouts he had plenty to say.
Some of it was very anti gay apparantly.
So, who knows things could change.

He did once in Tucson in 1979 : his diatribe was based on Bible quotes. I do'nt hink Bob's anti-gay.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 11, 2016 18:23

This is great!

Bob Dylan On Tour in 1966

By Video by SONY LEGACY | Nov. 11, 2016 | 12:32

A new short film made to accompany the release of the boxed set “Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings” features previously unseen footage of the tour, onstage and off, shot by D.A. Pennebaker.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 11, 2016 18:46

Wow! Amazing footage!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 11, 2016 18:56

Cristiano Radtke
This is great!

Bob Dylan On Tour in 1966

By Video by SONY LEGACY | Nov. 11, 2016 | 12:32

A new short film made to accompany the release of the boxed set “Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings” features previously unseen footage of the tour, onstage and off, shot by D.A. Pennebaker.

[www.nytimes.com]

That was fantastic! Cant wait to hear the box set.
Thanks for posting!

Date: November 12, 2016 20:18

I woner what Leonard Cohen song Bob's going to play tonight live... He did "Halleluajh" back in 88 but I suspect he'll pick another tune to pay tribute to the great Canadian.

EDIT : answer? None! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-13 13:07 by dcba.

Date: November 16, 2016 07:04

dcba
I woner what Leonard Cohen song Bob's going to play tonight live... He did "Halleluajh" back in 88 but I suspect he'll pick another tune to pay tribute to the great Canadian.

Nah, I'd never expect him to pay tribute. He's not that kind of guy to deviate from his normal show routine or get emotional. At least I've never seen him be that way. I thought MAYBE when Rubin Carter died he might play Hurricane, or at least acknowledge his death, but that was foolish on my part because again he's not that kind of guy. No way he makes a comment about Cohen, no matter how much he liked him.

Just listened to the final show in the new box (the May 27th Royal Albert Hall one). Only heard the electric portion and boy was it a revelation. You can hear how ragged Dylan was by the end of this tour, and how desperate he was for people to just give it a change. After Tell Me Momma he does a whole rambling monologue about change and just giving it a chance. He's very clearly either stoned or tripped or just tired but its very interesting to hear. I've never heard him be that open. Also, even though its just ten days after the Judas concert, the band plays so much better. Like A Rolling Stone is so brilliant on Robbie's part. Totally different and longer and great. An amazing show.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 16, 2016 07:14

RollingFreak
dcba

Nah, I'd never expect him to pay tribute. He's not that kind of guy to deviate from his normal show routine or get emotional. At least I've never seen him be that way. I thought MAYBE when Rubin Carter died he might play Hurricane, or at least acknowledge his death, but that was foolish on my part because again he's not that kind of guy. No way he makes a comment about Cohen, no matter how much he liked him.

Just listened to the final show in the new box (the May 27th Royal Albert Hall one). Only heard the electric portion and boy was it a revelation. You can hear how ragged Dylan was by the end of this tour, and how desperate he was for people to just give it a change. After Tell Me Momma he does a whole rambling monologue about change and just giving it a chance. He's very clearly either stoned or tripped or just tired but its very interesting to hear. I've never heard him be that open. Also, even though its just ten days after the Judas concert, the band plays so much better. Like A Rolling Stone is so brilliant on Robbie's part. Totally different and longer and great. An amazing show.

When Link Wray died he played 4 concerts in London soon after that and on each of it he started the concert playing Rumble as a tribute to Wray.

And although he didn't played on the Concert for George because he was touring at the same time, he played Something as a tribute to him on his solo MSG concert in November that year: [www.youtube.com]

EDIT: On his Stateline, NV concert in August 16 2009 he played Heartbreak Hotel on the day of Elvis' death anniversary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 07:29 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 16, 2016 08:03

30 sec samples of most tracks on the new box available online if anyone is still sitting on the fence [www.musicline.de]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home