Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan in Colorado
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:51

And this ...

Did you know Bob Dylan once spent a summer in Denver as a then-unknown teenager with a fake accent, sleeping on a floors and gigging at the Satire Lounge? He was nineteen at the time. It was just a year after the young Robert Zimmerman adopted his iconic stage moniker and around the time he'd discovered folk music, Woody Guthrie and the travails and romance of hobo life. There was also the obvious Kerouac mystique. Dylan, enamored of this, yearned to shed his small-town Minnesota persona and embody a new one. What better way to do this than to hitchhike out West carrying only a guitar and a suitcase?

[www.westword.com]

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:01

Thanks guys, I want to say he lived in Telluride for a bit but can't remember exactly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:13

Dylan in Colorado?

Everybody must get stoned... smoking smiley

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 4, 2015 19:27

Listen to "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry - Take 3"

[www.esquire.com]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:41

RollingFreak
JimmyTheSaint
I'm not a huge fan of this part of his career

I've heard this before from people and I've just never understood it. Obviously its how you feel, but I've just always thought you have to like this period to like Bob Dylan. The only thing I could understand is people that only like his folk stuff, cause that makes sense. But if you like his later material, if you like stuff like Blood On The Tracks, I've just never gotten how Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 aren't something you're a huge fan of. Just very interesting. Not in any way trying to criticize you if its coming off that way, I just find it very fascinating as, to many, thats Dylan at his peak. Its almost a given you love that period.

Great period, no question about it.

I just prefer to listen to...

John Wesley Harding
New Morning
Another Self Portrait
Street Legal - Señor...what a tune!
Slow Train Coming
Infidels

If I had my druthers the next bootleg series would be 1980 gospel tour (Massey Hall) or 1978 tour/rehearsals.

But it is all good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 00:42 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: November 5, 2015 13:34

I think for most listeners the 2CD set has all the best of the outtakes and rehearsals. The 6CD set I reviewed benefits from more Visions (five, I think) and muliple takes of the lesser-known Highway 61 songs, which are great. There is quite a lot of stuff wher you think, well that's good but the drum's all wrong or they havnt nailed the organ yet, or, that tack piano sound is getting really irritating....

Others, like Highway 61 without the police whistle, chug along in a way I prefer to the released version - I'm msure there will be plewnty of review saying you got to hear ALL of it, but unless you;re making it your PhD subject, how many times are you gonna lsiten to a day;'s work on LARS, only two of which get anywhere near the end (It feels like you've taken wierd medication, to be honest - all those breakdowns and slightly skewed,'wrong' takes.

It's not exploring the musical territory the way MIles Davis does in those 60s/70s boxed sets, and not like the radically different takes of songs on Tell Tale Signs.

On the other hand, you do really immerse yourself, in the 6cd set, into that period of Dylan World - get involved in the process. And then after, you'll probably burn off a 2CD set of the best anyway, and rarely listen to the full monty again.

Amazon has it at £100 for the 6, whivch is steep - 15 quid for the double is a good buy, I think...

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 5, 2015 14:08

MadMetaphoricalMax
I think for most listeners the 2CD set has all the best of the outtakes and rehearsals. The 6CD set I reviewed benefits from more Visions (five, I think) and muliple takes of the lesser-known Highway 61 songs, which are great. There is quite a lot of stuff wher you think, well that's good but the drum's all wrong or they havnt nailed the organ yet, or, that tack piano sound is getting really irritating....

Others, like Highway 61 without the police whistle, chug along in a way I prefer to the released version - I'm msure there will be plewnty of review saying you got to hear ALL of it, but unless you;re making it your PhD subject, how many times are you gonna lsiten to a day;'s work on LARS, only two of which get anywhere near the end (It feels like you've taken wierd medication, to be honest - all those breakdowns and slightly skewed,'wrong' takes.

It's not exploring the musical territory the way MIles Davis does in those 60s/70s boxed sets, and not like the radically different takes of songs on Tell Tale Signs.

On the other hand, you do really immerse yourself, in the 6cd set, into that period of Dylan World - get involved in the process. And then after, you'll probably burn off a 2CD set of the best anyway, and rarely listen to the full monty again.

Amazon has it at £100 for the 6, whivch is steep - 15 quid for the double is a good buy, I think...

Thanks for this.

I purchased the both the extended CD set and the vinyl for the basement tapes, and do not want to do that again.

I will just get the Vinyl this time around, I think.

I hope this is the last time (at least for the next few years) they mine the 60s for this series.

Cheers!

Date: November 5, 2015 18:36

MadMetaphoricalMax

You have some valid points MadMetaphoricalMax, I've been having 2nd thoughts regarding purchasing the Big 6 version right away- the Behemoth 18 was never on the table.

I might just opt for the 2 cd to begin with and fully absorb all that, and then hope for the 6 cd version to drop drastically in price. Usually there are sellers on Amazon marketplace who have big discounts.
I was really looking forward to this 6 cd set, and all of the preview snippets sound fascinating, but there are only so many hours in a day. And as you said - I'm not making this the subject of a Phd. project (although that would be cool)! I currently have the 6 cd set in my Amazon 'wishlist', so will keep checking for price drops in the days and weeks to come.

The 2 cd set is currently available pre-order at Best Buy for $14.99 (as someone mentioned here previously) with free shipping.

edit: Amazon U.S. has now also dropped the pre-order price for the 2 cd set to $14.99.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 19:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:09

I'm working my way through the 18CD version, talk about for competists only!smiling smiley

Here's Steve Hoffman's list of the songs on each version, there are 357 on the 18CD version!

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

For those of you who don't wanna shell out the big bucks for this set I have it in my Dropbox...send me your email address if you would like it.

Date: November 7, 2015 00:14

Mr.D
I'm working my way through the 18CD version, talk about for competists only!smiling smiley

Here's Steve Hoffman's list of the songs on each version, there are 357 on the 18CD version!

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

For those of you who don't wanna shell out the big bucks for this set I have it in my Dropbox...send me your email address if you would like it.

Thanks for the offer, Mr. D

I noticed this 18-CD set has leaked today but it's taking so long to download them, Dropbox is faster. My e-mail isn't hidden. smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:49

The 18CD/45rpm box is massive. WOW! I hope he does this again for the next release. I have just started, and it is yes, for completists. But with a great single malt and a joint this is fascinating listening. A very cool way to spend the evening reading the booklet and all the inner notes. It is a work of historical art.

Date: November 7, 2015 01:56

edit: thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 02:09 by Hairball.

Date: November 10, 2015 19:00

BobDylan.com has now a special feature: [thecuttingedge.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:12

just got my box. 'kin' awesome.

This is the record release of the year.

what exactly are ABKCO up to ?

Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:24

Mr.D

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

thanks for the offer. mcgeez8@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 19:27 by mcgeez8.

Date: November 10, 2015 22:38

mcgeez8
Mr.D

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

thanks for the offer. [email protected]

Sent

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 10, 2015 22:40

ash

Working on the Sam Cooke biopic....actually been working on it forever.

Date: November 11, 2015 00:21

I was in an AUTO ZONE today (car parts store in the U.S.) and on their sound system they were playing something that sounded familiar, yet also unfamiliar.
Sure enough - some of the new Dylan stuff blasting away. Spent a few extra minutes in their browsing the aisles just to hear more. thumbs up

ps - Thanks to MrD and Dan for making my world a happier place! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 00:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 11, 2015 00:33

Mr.D
see: [www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 11, 2015 00:57

jlowe
ash

Working on the Sam Cooke biopic....actually been working on it forever.

Maybe they could consider working on a Beggars Banquet box at weekends !

Date: November 11, 2015 13:16

Yes I'd like to get a hearing of some of hte 18 disc set - hotel room and Johannas especially!
The interactive mix-your-own site that has just gone up is interesting too - in the review I posted on The ARts Desk, I put foward exactly that idea for some of these tracks -the hboxed set beyond the CD format kind of thing - turned out out be predictive text...
Mr D - my email for dropboxing files...
tim.cumming@talk21.com

Date: November 11, 2015 13:48

MadMetaphoricalMax
Yes I'd like to get a hearing of some of hte 18 disc set - hotel room and Johannas especially!
The interactive mix-your-own site that has just gone up is interesting too - in the review I posted on The ARts Desk, I put foward exactly that idea for some of these tracks -the hboxed set beyond the CD format kind of thing - turned out out be predictive text...
Mr D - my email for dropboxing files...
[email protected]

Sent

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: November 11, 2015 18:59

Got the 6cd Version and love every Minute of it. That's the way to do it.

Btw: patrick_musial@yahoo.de

I'm in for the full monty! Thank you so much!

Date: November 12, 2015 18:42

Just put up a blog about Bob Dylan's Dream, Lady Franklin's Lament, the tune he used, and a 16th century Irish air, Cailín Óg a Stór, from which the tune originally stems. 500 year history in one immortal Dylan song!

[timcumming.wordpress.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 12, 2015 22:25

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 19:59 by dcba.

Bob Dylans House
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 13, 2015 06:26

Just visited Hibbing Mn Bobs hometown and stopped in at his home. Kinda neat to see and I enjoyed dinner in Bob's old home town.

Re: Bob Dylans House
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 13, 2015 08:37

What about Dylan's more recherché ex-home in Zuma Beach, that he had to give his ex-wife? That prompted Mick to write in SOME GIRLS: "Let's got back to Zuma Beach/And give you half of everything I own."

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 13, 2015 12:15

Robert & Paul from that time...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 13, 2015 13:52

rob51
Just visited Hibbing Mn Bobs hometown and stopped in at his home. Kinda neat to see and I enjoyed dinner in Bob's old home town.

Fantastic

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 13, 2015 19:02

Title5Take1
What about Dylan's more recherché ex-home in Zuma Beach, that he had to give his ex-wife? That prompted Mick to write in SOME GIRLS: "Let's got back to Zuma Beach/And give you half of everything I own."

Well, plenty of properties to go and check out.
According to one biographer there are at least a dozen or so owned by Mr Bobby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home