Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Date: October 23, 2015 12:39

There's a bunch of (mainly) music articles reviews interviews here at the Arts Desk, with a fair amount of Stones and Dylan stuff. Paywall does come up after a while, but th subs are low, and the coverage is highly eclectic.... Lots of different writers. Tim

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:06

Apparently Ronnie wood was at the Royal Albert hall this week for Bob Dylan did anyone see him there was he playing with Bob or just watching the show?

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:31

Yeah, he tweeted about that:

"Had a great reunion with @bobdylan tonight @RoyalAlbertHall after presenting @tnoac across the road "

(I removed the emoticons, via [twitter.com])

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: October 24, 2015 01:17

Someone on Facebook said he played 'Seven Days' with Bob. I'm not sure though because that hasn't been in his set list for years and Bob has not been changing things up much...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 24, 2015 01:28

jammingedward
Someone on Facebook said he played 'Seven Days' with Bob. I'm not sure though because that hasn't been in his set list for years and Bob has not been changing things up much...

It didn't happened. The only change on the setlist for the 3 London concerts he played so far was Full Moon and Empty Arms (which he played yesterday) instead of The Night We Called it a Day (played last Wednesday and today's concerts). [www.boblinks.com]

Date: October 24, 2015 16:46

Who's going tonight?
I've got a front row ticket should be a great show.

Nate thumbs up

Date: October 25, 2015 00:40

Five feet from Dylan tonight right at the front of stage.
Simply stunning show.

Nate thumbs up

Date: October 27, 2015 20:39

See Dylan Photographer Explain Blurry 'Blonde on Blonde' Cover

Jerry Schatzberg recalls chilly NYC cover shoot in new mini documentary

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 28, 2015 16:53

Hello,

Seventh time seeing Bobby D. for me...I saw him play three consecutive shows in Blackpool two years ago: then, he and his band were terrific and occasionally brilliant.
Did last night add anything for me? Only his revelation as a singer of those ballads...blimey! That plus the occasional sideways look and grin when he was at the grand. He knows the power of his lines for sure. Legend? Oh yes.

Setlist:
1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin’
4. What'll I Do (song by Irving Berlin)
5. Duquesne Whistle
6. Melancholy Mood (song by Vick Knight and Walter Schumann)
7. Pay In Blood
8. I'm A Fool To Want You (song by Frank Sinatra, Jack Wolf and Joel Herron)
9. Tangled Up In Blue
(Intermission)
10. High Water (For Charley Patton)
11. Why Try To Change Me Now (song by Cy Coleman and Joseph McCarthy)
12. Early Roman Kings
13. The Night We Called It A Day (song by Matt Dennis and Tom Adair)
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. All Or Nothing At All (song by Arthur Altman and Jack Lawrence)
17. Long And Wasted Years
18. Autumn Leaves (song by Jacques Prévert)
(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Love Sick

Thanks to traffic, accidents, roadworks and general nawse, I arrived at The Apollo late and caught the ovation for the end of Bob's first song. The amount of charisma coming from the stage was just about tangible, even standing at the back of the ex-cinema- you just knew that there was someone a little bit out of the ordinary in the room.

As Tim noted, the band are as tight as two coats of paint but restrained and able to follow Bob's phrasing with no dramas. Speaking of which, he seems sometimes to lay particular emphasis on a line now and again and it is quite affecting. He may not be the finest vocalist but he still is a great singer...at least to me!

Here is a brief bit of audio from 'Tangled Up In Blue'...not my recording!
[www.youtube.com]

It was Mission Impossible to take any photos last night- The Apollo's security staff had been instructed to try to stop anyone, even with a mobile phone, and it worked! I was a bit choked because my seat (thanks Gazza, for sorting that) was well-placed and it would have been a piece of cake otherwise. Yeah, yeah...first world problem, right?

Cheers,

Simon.

ps sorry I didn't spot you Stargroover...hope you had a great show too!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:39

Yes, the Manchester gig on the Tuesday was quite an amazing event.

Bob was on great form.His vocals were so strong and clear.I don't think he has sounded this good for a long time.

He never picked a guitar up all evening,but his piano and harmonica playing were amazing.

Highlights for me were "Autumn leaves","Love sick","Tangled up in blue",and quite an amazing countrified "Blowing in the wind"(With Sir Bob on piano).

My 13 year old son loved it.From seeing him arrive from a tour bus dressed in an old hoody to the encore ."He's the coolest guy" ,"What a show!" said my son.

A great night!!!Looking forward to the bootleg.

Hi Simon!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 29, 2015 00:22

Bob allows no photographs whatsoever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 01:52

Last year I had 3rd row ready to get at least one nice pic, but there were 'no photograph' signs before even entering the Dolby Theater.
Ushers were vigilant throughout the show, and had to shine their flashlight several times at various people.
Seemed like an annoying obstruction, but I suppose it was better than seeing cell phone camera's glaring all night.
I respected the no photo policy until the very end/encore when everyone in the audience was standing, and was able to snap a couple of decent ones completely undercover.

Don't think I ever posted these...

Perhaps not the best quality, just a little old Sony cybershot,
but great souvenirs to keep for my personal memories.

Date: October 31, 2015 17:40

First Listen: Bob Dylan, 'The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12'

[www.npr.org]

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: October 31, 2015 18:28

Oh man, this preview is magnificent! November 6th can't come fast enough!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 31, 2015 23:24

Cristiano Radtke
First Listen: Bob Dylan, 'The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Vol. 12'

[www.npr.org]

as a long time collector, I'd say it's rather underwhelming. But then there's this Visions of Johanna that has never been bootlegged before. It's so f##king amazing!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 1, 2015 00:08

swimtothemoon
Bob allows no photographs whatsoever.

That´s what I love about him. It was great to enjoy the Dolby Theater show as if we were in the pre-Steve Jobs era.

BTW, I see the 2-CD configuration of the upcoming Cutting Edge program is marked down by $5 to $14.99 at Best Buy.

Date: November 2, 2015 10:44

Here's a link to my review of The Cutting Edge Deluxe, 6CD set for The Arts Desk, released later this week... Hope you enjoy the read.

PS relinked - the URL had changed so this will work now...

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-02 12:19 by MadMetaphoricalMax.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 2, 2015 14:17

MadMetaphoricalMax
Here's a link to my review of The Cutting Edge Deluxe, 6CD set for The Arts Desk, released later this week... Hope you enjoy the read.

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Good review, thanks for the link.

It'd be fascinating to hear, but 599$ for the 18-disc version is quite something^

The 6-Disc version is the one I'll be hoping to get to hear.

Date: November 2, 2015 18:56

slewan
Cristiano Radtke

[www.npr.org]

as a long time collector, I'd say it's rather underwhelming. But then there's this Visions of Johanna that has never been bootlegged before. It's so f##king amazing!

Amazing indeed, and now there's a new video for this song:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 3, 2015 05:51

On Dylan's official website there's now a 30-second preview of every track included on the 6-CD edition.

[www.bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:04

Thanks Cristiano...fascinating.
I'd love to hear Blood on the Tracks given similar treatment, along with countless others.
There was some talk a year or so ago that a 'Bootleg Blood' series may be in the pipeline.

As mentioned many times on various threads, it would be great if the Stones did something like this - similar to the Beatles Anthology.

I love all that stuff, and know I'll be enraptured with this new Dylan for quite awhile.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:20

Yes, it would be great to see somthing like this for Blood on the tracks. I think
there is a lot to release. Someplace in my boot collection I have a cd of Bob
playing most of Blood On tracks live in the studio sometime before the release.
This alone would be sweet to have in better quality.

Date: November 4, 2015 01:54

Hear an Alternate Version of Bob Dylan’s ‘Just Like a Woman’

[www.vulture.com]#

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:15

MadMetaphoricalMax

[www.theartsdesk.com]

Excellent review.

I'm a huge fan of Bob, and I also think that Tell Tale Signs and Another Self Portrait are the best of the Bootleg Series, but I like them all.

I'm not a huge fan of this part of his career, although I certainly understand it's importance. I hear that Blood on the Tracks is up next for this treatment. But I would love to see them do this for 1978 (Budokan is a poor representation of that amazing tour) or the Gospel period.

If you wouldn't mind, can you advise me on which variation of this set I should purchase? I am either going to buy the Vinyl version or the 6 disc set. If I buy the vinyl, am I missing out on anything that you consider absolutely essential from this release?

I would really appreciate your opinion. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 02:16 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 4, 2015 07:21

JimmyTheSaint
I'm not a huge fan of this part of his career

I've heard this before from people and I've just never understood it. Obviously its how you feel, but I've just always thought you have to like this period to like Bob Dylan. The only thing I could understand is people that only like his folk stuff, cause that makes sense. But if you like his later material, if you like stuff like Blood On The Tracks, I've just never gotten how Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 aren't something you're a huge fan of. Just very interesting. Not in any way trying to criticize you if its coming off that way, I just find it very fascinating as, to many, thats Dylan at his peak. Its almost a given you love that period.

Its like saying you're not a huge fan of the Stones period from Beggars to Exile, to me at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 07:22 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 4, 2015 11:02

I am a real freak of this era from Dylan, but since it's no new songs I can't see the meaning with buying it again...A complete CD with 'Like a Rolling Stones' again and again and again and....confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: November 4, 2015 12:50

JimmyTheSaint - I will! Thanks for your comments on the review too - I'll message again later when I have a moment. If you can find the right deal though, the 6cd really gets in to you, esp VISIONS versions, but the 2disc set picks the standout tracks. Need to chec kif the complete piano/voice version of She's Your Lover Now is on there - it's the clincher! Tim

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:29

MadMetaphoricalMax
JimmyTheSaint - I will! Thanks for your comments on the review too - I'll message again later when I have a moment. If you can find the right deal though, the 6cd really gets in to you, esp VISIONS versions, but the 2disc set picks the standout tracks. Need to chec kif the complete piano/voice version of She's Your Lover Now is on there - it's the clincher! Tim

I'd be interested to hear your conclusion on that too. Was thinking the 2cd set would suffice.

Really enjoyed your review too - thanks!

OT: Bob Dylan in Colorado
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:45

Was wondering if someone could help me here, a while back there was a discussion on this board about Bob and a time period of his when he lived and recorded or at least wrote songs while living in Colorado. I believe he mentions the part of the state he was living in one or a few of his songs. Can't seem to track it down and couldn't find it on the archives here.

Doing an article about rock history in the state of Colorado and want to mention this.

Re: OT: Bob Dylan in Colorado
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:49

There a bit about Dylan in Colorado in here.

[books.google.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home