Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2016 03:34

Nice interview with Charlie Sexton:

Published on Jan 15, 2016

"We met up with the legendary Charlie Sexton at 4Sound in Malmö and had a little talk about his life and career as a musician,
and what it's like working with the icon that is Bob Dylan".

Charlie Sexton Interview

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 08:02

Great guitar. They're known for their acoustics. I dig the Mark Kanopfler style LP-type playing Charlie's been doing lately. I knew I had never heard him on a Les Paul before that last Japan tour.The Kanop man himself used to play Strats a lot too. Charlie sounds great playing on a Gibson scale. It's right there for you in Scarlet Town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 08:03 by Socrates1.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 4, 2016 09:15

reg thorpe
Come On
Top Five Dylan Albums: (No 1 Song)

Another Side of Bob Dylan 1964 (My Back Pages)
Nashville Skyline 1969 (I threw it all away)
Highway 61 Revisited 1965 (From a Buick 6)
Time Out of Mind 1997 (Not Dark Yet)
Tempest 2012 (Roll On John)

no Blood on the Tracks?

No not now, but in 1975 I adored that album..smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 4, 2016 20:06

Thanks for posting the Sexton interview. Saw yesterday Dylan is playing
the Ravinia outdoor theater(Chicago)in late July with Mavis Staples. He must be
doing a summer tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 5, 2016 17:59

Smei-OT but Crystal Cat has released a stunning 4-cd set of his 2015 Stockholm shows... thumbs up

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 6, 2016 01:10

Is each show the same setlist?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2016 13:12

Basically yes. Thta's probably why Crystal Cat sold these as a 4-cd package. Otherwise everyone would have bought the excellent-sounding 1st night only.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:18

Following Japan in April, Bob tours the US in June and July.
27 dates so far announced.
Mavis Staples is the supporting act.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:28

jlowe

Not sure what to think about it if he's going to be playing Sinatra standards again.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2016 20:36

jlowe

And a new album was announced as well.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

From Bob's website:

"Bob Dylan and his Band are touring the U.S. in June and July with Mavis Staples.

All dates and ticket information will be published on this page. There will be pre-sale ticket offers for many dates on this tour for American Express cardholders, with no password needed.

For every pair of tickets purchased, you will receive a redemption code to receive a Compact Disk of Bob Dylan’s forthcoming album “Fallen Angels.” (Not available for Indianapolis and Boston.)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 20:44 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 7, 2016 20:49

Bobbyb98
jlowe

Not sure what to think about it if he's going to be playing Sinatra standards again.

give the sizes of the venues I guess it's unlikely that he's doing a Sinatra cover stour again, see: [bobdylan.com]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 7, 2016 21:38

Great documentary on Mavis Staples - Mavis! - showing on HBO (and I assume elsewhere). Really worth a watch. I also just started listening to her CD One True Vine, done w. Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. Good stuff!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 7, 2016 23:35

His last tour wasn't a Sinatra covers tour. Sure he performed a few tracks from the album, but that was about it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 9, 2016 07:25

New Bob Dylan release for Record Store Day:

"This limited edition 7” vinyl EP was originally created for Bob Dylan’s recent Japanese tour. We were able to secure a limited quantity for Record Store Day. The EP includes 4 songs from Bob Dylan’s upcoming album, Fallen Angels, pressed on 7” red vinyl.

"Melancholy Mood," "All or Nothing At All" b/w "Come Rain Or Come Shine," "That Old Black Magic"

[www.recordstoreday.com]

Dylan's 'funk band' comment
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 9, 2016 15:58

that quote from Dylan is misleading, imo..

he said " without Bill, the Stones are a funk band" or words to that effect..

but I'd say Bob, don't you think think they were pretty funky with Bill?

so please get well soon Bill Wyman, you are a great, funky bass player.

and I like how Darryl has fit in with the band and have never seen how he somehow makes the Stones a 'funk band'...

but certainly any close listening to Bill's playing, even as far back as the early 70's, makes clear Bill got funky, and often, with Charlie. especially during those brief sections of 'Bitch', when the two of them played a few bars of pure funk...

and Bill's 'Miss You' lines...maybe not conventionally funk, but in the disco style of the day, those are way funky and still sound great.

Re: Dylan's 'funk band' comment
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 9, 2016 16:07

Wow, when did he say that?

"Funk" is a pretty loose term, I suppose ... I guess Dylan meant that the Stones lost some of the rock 'n' roll and swing when Bill left. But I think you're right, they aren't any funkier now than they were back in the days, it's more like the opposite, as you say.

To be really honest, I don't think neither Bill nor Darryl are really funky bassists in the strict musical sense (if there is one). They don't play in that style, although I'm sure Darryl could probably play really funky if he played in a funk band. That said, there's definitely a great bass groove in many Stones songs, including quite a few where Keith and Mick T played the bass.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 9, 2016 16:11

Date: March 9, 2016 16:12

He probably meant that the swing/rockabilly/walking bass/wobble-timed Bill-sound was gone when he left.

Date: March 9, 2016 16:14

"I'm not saying they don't keep going, but they need Bill," he said. "Without him they're a funk band. They'll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back." BD

You're right Bob.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 9, 2016 16:49

Biggest change with Darryl imo is that it is a lot more (not all) 'on the beat'.
With Bill, it was more like jazz or swing, or whatever you want to call it, 'playing with the beat'. Not 'on' the beat. If you are a musician, you know what I mean, and I hope that most of you here now what I mean. No offense to Darryl, the music is great now too, I just prefer they are playing with the beat more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-09 16:50 by barbabang.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2016 21:05

They just aren't as interesting without Bill. He went from 'who needs him' to an integral part of the sound, even when Keith would play bass and remain similar to Bill's style.

One of the glaring holes is that empty space Bill would find to put a note in. Every time I listen to Darryl with the Stones it drives me mad that those spaces go unfilled. Because it's not like Darryl replaced them with something. He almost seems to perversely refuse to fill them.

Band chemistry is a very delicate thing. And Bill's natural talent has never been recognized. The Stones, like all bands, have a rhythm section, it's just not a very good one now. You can't honestly say the Stones have gotten better. It's just that everyone has adjusted to them being lesser than they were. They could especially use him now as Keith struggles. They lost something when Taylor left, and that's when Bill really stepped up and created some of his most memorable lines.

I think Bill played funky as hell in the 70s and 80s. I get it, Bill left, but let's not pretend he was replaced by someone better for the band. Darryl just appears to be someone the end stage Stones are comfortable with. Guys like Duck Dunn and Bill Wyman don't come along that often who have an instinctive feel for the bass and elevate it into being an essential part of a band's sound. Darryl's playing could be anybody, Bill's is distinctive.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: March 9, 2016 21:09

barbabang
Biggest change with Darryl imo is that it is a lot more (not all) 'on the beat'.
With Bill, it was more like jazz or swing, or whatever you want to call it, 'playing with the beat'. Not 'on' the beat. If you are a musician, you know what I mean, and I hope that most of you here now what I mean. No offense to Darryl, the music is great now too, I just prefer they are playing with the beat more.

agree 100%

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 9, 2016 21:29

24FPS
BYou can't honestly say the Stones have gotten better. It's just that everyone has adjusted to them being lesser than they were. They could especially use him now as Keith struggles.

I agree, but the other hand, having someone who is more 'on the beat' would be helpful to keep the train going when Keith is struggling (is he?)

Date: March 9, 2016 22:24

Willie Weeks or Doug Wimbish would have been a better choice.

Date: March 9, 2016 23:04

24FPS
They just aren't as interesting without Bill. He went from 'who needs him' to an integral part of the sound, even when Keith would play bass and remain similar to Bill's style.

One of the glaring holes is that empty space Bill would find to put a note in. Every time I listen to Darryl with the Stones it drives me mad that those spaces go unfilled. Because it's not like Darryl replaced them with something. He almost seems to perversely refuse to fill them.

Band chemistry is a very delicate thing. And Bill's natural talent has never been recognized. The Stones, like all bands, have a rhythm section, it's just not a very good one now. You can't honestly say the Stones have gotten better. It's just that everyone has adjusted to them being lesser than they were. They could especially use him now as Keith struggles. They lost something when Taylor left, and that's when Bill really stepped up and created some of his most memorable lines.

I think Bill played funky as hell in the 70s and 80s. I get it, Bill left, but let's not pretend he was replaced by someone better for the band. Darryl just appears to be someone the end stage Stones are comfortable with. Guys like Duck Dunn and Bill Wyman don't come along that often who have an instinctive feel for the bass and elevate it into being an essential part of a band's sound. Darryl's playing could be anybody, Bill's is distinctive.

Keith never was even remotely near Bill's style. Totally different, but great just the same.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2016 23:22

ROCKMAN

Date: March 9, 2016 23:56

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 10, 2016 07:31

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Keith never was even remotely near Bill's style. Totally different, but great just the same.

I think Keith's bass on Happy is totally Bill. For that matter the bass on Jumping Jack Flash is about how I figured Bill would have played it. Maybe I should say that Keith's best forays on bass with the Stones, were when he played closer to Bill's style, except for the singularly brilliant Sympathy For the Devil.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2016 09:39

Bill is a rock 'n' Roll/ Blues bass-player perfectly noticed by Dylan
Darryl is a Jazz bass player that Charlie likes
What is this discussion about?

2 1 2 0

Date: March 10, 2016 11:09

What is this discussion about?

Yeah like really what is any discussion about .... ???????

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home