Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 126
Re: Bob Dylans House
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2015 19:38

jlowe
Title5Take1
What about Dylan's more recherché ex-home in Zuma Beach, that he had to give his ex-wife? That prompted Mick to write in SOME GIRLS: "Let's got back to Zuma Beach/And give you half of everything I own."

Well, plenty of properties to go and check out.
According to one biographer there are at least a dozen or so owned by Mr Bobby.

A longtime friend of mine who still lives in an upscale area of Santa Monica told me about a year ago that Dylan has a house right down the street from him.
And I think he used to have a studio somewhere in town - maybe still does?

Re: Bob Dylans House
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 13, 2015 19:38

Come On
Robert & Paul from that time...

Who's Paul?

Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 13, 2015 19:44

Mr.D
MadMetaphoricalMax
Yes I'd like to get a hearing of some of hte 18 disc set - hotel room and Johannas especially!
The interactive mix-your-own site that has just gone up is interesting too - in the review I posted on The ARts Desk, I put foward exactly that idea for some of these tracks -the hboxed set beyond the CD format kind of thing - turned out out be predictive text...
Mr D - my email for dropboxing files...
[email protected]

Sent

My goodness, this is wonderful of you. I would LOVE to have the 18 disc set. Thank YOU! sdstonesguy@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-13 19:45 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 13, 2015 22:02

I've been listening to the six disc set, and recently "acquired" the 18 disc set, but haven't started listening to that yet. What strikes me as odd is that there are 2 songs Dylan performed in 1965-66 that he apparently didn't attempt in the studio. The first is Long Distance Operator (available on a bootleg of the same name from Berkeley 1965 and later covered by the Band) and the more readily available Tell Me Momma, available on the Bootleg series 4 release "Live At the Royal Albert Hall". Does anyone know why Dylan never attempted these two songs in teh studio? He and the Band obviously took the time to learn them.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 13, 2015 23:03

Happy Jack
I've been listening to the six disc set, and recently "acquired" the 18 disc set, but haven't started listening to that yet. What strikes me as odd is that there are 2 songs Dylan performed in 1965-66 that he apparently didn't attempt in the studio. The first is Long Distance Operator (available on a bootleg of the same name from Berkeley 1965 and later covered by the Band) and the more readily available Tell Me Momma, available on the Bootleg series 4 release "Live At the Royal Albert Hall". Does anyone know why Dylan never attempted these two songs in teh studio? He and the Band obviously took the time to learn them.

Long Distance Operator was recorded during the Basement Tapes session and is to be found on The Complete Basement Tapes
As we now (since the release of The Cutting Edge Collector's edition) know Tell Me Momma was never recorded in the studio (note: Sony records has to release ALL recording that are 50 years old. Recordings that are not commercially used within 50 years become public domain in the EU 50 years. Therefore Sony records started releasing so-called Copyright Extension collections of Bob Dylan recordings form 2002 onwards (very limited editions, sometimes less than 500 copies) to save the copyright. We are now waiting for a copyright extension collection featuring all the live recording from 1965)

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 13, 2015 23:48

Is the 2 cd set on Itunes? I might just buy selected songs from it, the few that I've wanted to hear outtakes of.

Date: November 14, 2015 07:49

slewan
Happy Jack

Long Distance Operator was recorded during the Basement Tapes session and is to be found on The Complete Basement Tapes
As we now (since the release of The Cutting Edge Collector's edition) know Tell Me Momma was never recorded in the studio (note: Sony records has to release ALL recording that are 50 years old. Recordings that are not commercially used within 50 years become public domain in the EU 50 years. Therefore Sony records started releasing so-called Copyright Extension collections of Bob Dylan recordings form 2002 onwards (very limited editions, sometimes less than 500 copies) to save the copyright. We are now waiting for a copyright extension collection featuring all the live recording from 1965)

Long Distance Operator is not on the Complete Basement Tapes. IT is on the Basement Tapes from 1975, but I was led to believe that that version does not include Dylan. Regardless, it was written during the time of The Cutting Edge set and apparently no attempt was made to record it.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:23

Happy Jack

Would love to have heard a studio version of Tell me Momma - shame it was never recorded. Although that's more than made up for by how brilliant the 'Albert Hall' version is - made all the more brilliant in the context of it being the ear splitting burst of rock'n'roll that kicked off the electric set at that notorious/ famous gig.

I've also recently acquired the 18 disk set (thanks to a VERY generous source winking smiley) I've only dug into the first 4 discs so far and it is just wonderful. There's a great disc-by-disc review in Billboard - as the writer of this says, it's "like being a fly on the wall of heaven". Couldn't agree more.

http://www.billboard.com/

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:34

slewan
Happy Jack

Presumably ABKCO aren't as worried if Stones unreleased material gets out into the public domain then?

Date: November 17, 2015 17:51

jlowe
slewan
Happy Jack

Presumably ABKCO aren't as worried if Stones unreleased material gets out into the public domain then?

most likely because they consider the Stones' material worthless, i.e. economically worthless. How many people (beside die-hard fans) might be interested in hearing ten alternate version or rehearsals of Statisfaction or Brown Sugar?
Compared to Dylan the Stones spent much less time in the studio (at least in the sixties) and I doubt that they didn't rewrite their songs and the lyrics as often as Dylan did.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:23

Fair point Slewan.
A bit ironic though when you think that for the past 30 odd years Dylan has tended to record his albums VERY QUICKLY. You get the impression that if the first take is ok, that will do.Cuts down on recording costs. Its old style recording of course. Lennon had a similar approach.
In contrast to the Stones whose recording sessions have been very prolonged at times,and not just due to Keith's "habits".

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:50

However, another way to look at it is, that with this recent release, the deluxe box set is limited to 5000 and then there are several other formats. Dylan has built a strong team of archivist that know his history and are able to work as a team to put these releases out. The Stones have none of that! They have boxes of tapes in Jagger's closet! And no impetus to embark on multiple projects that require time, investment of money, and a focus from at least two of the members of the band. So comparing the STones with Dylan, and Dylan embracing his history and understanding that there is a core base of collectors that love this shit!

Date: November 17, 2015 21:22

jlowe
Fair point Slewan.
A bit ironic though when you think that for the past 30 odd years Dylan has tended to record his albums VERY QUICKLY. You get the impression that if the first take is ok, that will do.Cuts down on recording costs.

may be true – but still he produces quite a few alternate takes, outtakes etc – see for example Bootleg Series 8/Tell Tale Signs covering the period 1989-2006

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 18, 2015 02:43

slewan
jlowe
Fair point Slewan.
A bit ironic though when you think that for the past 30 odd years Dylan has tended to record his albums VERY QUICKLY. You get the impression that if the first take is ok, that will do.Cuts down on recording costs.

may be true – but still he produces quite a few alternate takes, outtakes etc – see for example Bootleg Series 8/Tell Tale Signs covering the period 1989-2006

Yeah, if we're comparing a 2-3 disc box set ocvering 15 years to an 18 disc one that covers 2 years then yes he still kind of does it lol.

Nah, just kidding. You make a good point.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:23

sdstonesguy
Mr.D
MadMetaphoricalMax
Yes I'd like to get a hearing of some of hte 18 disc set - hotel room and Johannas especially!
The interactive mix-your-own site that has just gone up is interesting too - in the review I posted on The ARts Desk, I put foward exactly that idea for some of these tracks -the hboxed set beyond the CD format kind of thing - turned out out be predictive text...
Mr D - my email for dropboxing files...
[email protected]

Sent

My goodness, this is wonderful of you. I would LOVE to have the 18 disc set. Thank YOU! [email protected]

If it is possible I would really like this too. In that case, thank you so very much! paperback71@hotmail.com

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2015 04:08

I was at a Whole Foods market today buying lettuce, and some of the 'new' Dylan was being played over the house system.
First it was the Auto Zone, and now Whole Foods. Wondering when and where I'll hear it next...maybe at the Dry Cleaners?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 30, 2015 17:03

There's a special issue of Rolling Stone magazine being released on December 2:

[www.barnesandnoble.com]

Date: December 1, 2015 15:20

For those who bought the Collector's Edition (18 CDs), a surprise may arrive soon, according to this post:

"ok, so everyone is getting their digital version of the 18 CD set...BUT...if you buy the COLLECTORS VERSION...you will be receiving something EXTRA soon...some BIG!! only 1000 copies left..."

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 4, 2015 23:44

See a rare video for Bob Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

[www.npr.org]

Date: December 5, 2015 15:17

From the Expecting Rain website:

The holidays are coming early for purchasers of The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Volume 12: Collector's Edition, via a special gift from Columbia Records: 208 tracks encompassing more than ten hours of previously unreleased live Bob Dylan performances from his landmark 1965 tours, including 14 complete concerts – both acoustic and electric - and an array of recordings from television shows, hotel rooms, and other live appearances. Now "CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE" = Sold Out, from bobdylan.com - from bobdylan.com, Renaud Depierreux, Dan Marowski, thebigstockbroker, Fred Muller

Date: December 5, 2015 15:25

Yeah, I got the email yesterday thinking me for ordering the Deluxe box set and am downloading now. 14 live shows! WOW! This truly is a gift that keeps giving! Amazing!

Date: December 5, 2015 16:00

whitem8
Yeah, I got the email yesterday thinking me for ordering the Deluxe box set and am downloading now. 14 live shows! WOW! This truly is a gift that keeps giving! Amazing!

That's great! Somebody sent me a link and I'm now downloading it too. drinking smiley

Date: December 5, 2015 16:17

Sorry the link only works once. I would drop it somewhere for folks, but I won't pay to do so. Dropbox is not very limited in what you can drop for free. Bastards.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 5, 2015 20:03

I was alerted to this on a Beatle board, checked my email and sure enough, a special gift for those who purchased the enormo Bob box.
Bloody brilliant even if it is MP3.
I am seriously excited at the prospect of a similar set for the 1966 World Tour.
Bob's team should be give n the Beatles and Jones-era Stones stuff to play with. They are leading the way in archival releases.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 5, 2015 21:03

whitem8
However, another way to look at it is, that with this recent release, the deluxe box set is limited to 5000 and then there are several other formats. Dylan has built a strong team of archivist that know his history and are able to work as a team to put these releases out. The Stones have none of that! They have boxes of tapes in Jagger's closet! And no impetus to embark on multiple projects that require time, investment of money, and a focus from at least two of the members of the band. So comparing the STones with Dylan, and Dylan embracing his history and understanding that there is a core base of collectors that love this shit!

Well said!!!

Date: December 6, 2015 20:03

It's neat that Dylan is releasing all of these 1965 Live concerts, but are they in better quality than the sourced bootlegs, or is this mearly a legit release of the bootlegs (namely the electric era boots, most of which sound rough).

Date: December 6, 2015 20:37

I've listened to about two hours worth of the download. There is some very amazing stuff here! And in very good quality. Then there is some stuff that is really boot quaility, audience tapes, etc. However, I have only gone through a fraction of the material. Some fantastic stuff for free!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2015 21:48

Happy Jack
It's neat that Dylan is releasing all of these 1965 Live concerts, but are they in better quality than the sourced bootlegs, or is this mearly a legit release of the bootlegs (namely the electric era boots, most of which sound rough).

Many of the acoustic 1965 performances are new to circulation, but the electric era recordings are same quality or worse than the bootlegs of that material, unfortunately
See here [www.expectingrain.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 21:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: December 6, 2015 21:58

Erik_Snow
Happy Jack

Many of the acoustic 1965 performances are new to circulation, but the electric era recordings are same quality or worse than the bootlegs of that material, unfortunately
See here [www.expectingrain.com]

well, the only thing that REALLY surprises me is the acoustic version of Tombstone Blues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-06 21:58 by slewan.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: December 13, 2015 00:20

Sure wish those live recordings somehow ended up in my Dropbox at sdstonesguy@yahoo.com

I love this board.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home