Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 126
Re: OT: Bob Dylan news and more
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 2, 2017 00:32

Set list from tonight's concert in Stockholm Sweden

Things have changed
Don't think twice,it's all right
Highway 61 revisited
Beyond here lies nothin
Full moon and empty arms
High water (for Charley Patton)
Melancholy mood
Duquesne whistle
Love sick
Tangled up in blue
Pay in blood
Standing in the doorway
Scarlet town
I could have told you
Desolation row
Soon after midnight
All or nothing at all
Long and wasted years
Autumn leaves
Blowing in the wind
Why try to change me now

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 2, 2017 00:41

A review from tonite's concert. If you click on "LÄS MER" (eng. read more) you will se the song-by-song-review. If you can watch this outside of Sweden?
[www.aftonbladet.se]

Date: April 2, 2017 00:50

Here is another review: [www.expressen.se]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 2, 2017 15:15

This sums the whole Nobel thing up nicely for me.

"I think he has said it all already as you heard in the acceptance speech and you know, Dylan didn't apply for the Nobel prize. People seem to forget that. It wasn't a competition, he didn't ask for it, he was bestowed it. It's not for the giver of a gift to expect something in return," said Shmuel Burger, from Israel, a 61-year-old physician.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 2, 2017 21:02

JimmyTheSaint

"I think he has said it all already as you heard in the acceptance speech and you know, Dylan didn't apply for the Nobel prize. People seem to forget that. It wasn't a competition, he didn't ask for it, he was bestowed it. It's not for the giver of a gift to expect something in return," said Shmuel Burger, from Israel, a 61-year-old physician.

Indeed. Why should Dylan be expected to bend over backwards - or even bend a little bit?
Seems the Nobel committee people in Sweden were hoping to reap some benefit out of this, but instead it kind of backfired on them.
Dylan was surprised and genuinely pleased with the honor, shouldn't that have been enough?

From his original thank you speech (read by the US ambassador to Sweden during the December Nobel ceremony in Stockholm):

“If someone had ever told me that I had the slightest chance of winning the Nobel Prize, I would have to think that I’d have about the same odds as standing on the moon.”

Bob Dylan finally accepts Nobel prize in literature at private ceremony in Stockholm

"Dylan had not been expected to deliver his traditional Nobel lecture at the meeting – the only requirement to receive the eight million kronor (837,000 euros, $891,000) that comes with the prize.
He has until 10 June to provide his lecture, which could be anything from a short speech to a performance, a video broadcast or even a song. Failing that, he risks losing the prize money.
“The Academy has reason to believe that a taped version will be sent at a later point,” Danius said on Wednesday".

Congrats Bob - give them a tape and be done with it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 2, 2017 22:12

Hairball
JimmyTheSaint

Indeed. Why should Dylan be expected to bend over backwards - or even bend a little bit?
Seems the Nobel committee people in Sweden were hoping to reap some benefit out of this, but instead it kind of backfired on them.
Dylan was surprised and genuinely pleased with the honor, shouldn't that have been enough?

From his original thank you speech (read by the US ambassador to Sweden during the December Nobel ceremony in Stockholm):

“If someone had ever told me that I had the slightest chance of winning the Nobel Prize, I would have to think that I’d have about the same odds as standing on the moon.”

Bob Dylan finally accepts Nobel prize in literature at private ceremony in Stockholm

"Dylan had not been expected to deliver his traditional Nobel lecture at the meeting – the only requirement to receive the eight million kronor (837,000 euros, $891,000) that comes with the prize.
He has until 10 June to provide his lecture, which could be anything from a short speech to a performance, a video broadcast or even a song. Failing that, he risks losing the prize money.
“The Academy has reason to believe that a taped version will be sent at a later point,” Danius said on Wednesday".

Congrats Bob - give them a tape and be done with it.

thumbs up

Date: April 3, 2017 00:47

Well, the requisites are not that demanding. You'll have to:

1) Answer the phone and say thank you.
2) Attend your own ceremony. Everything is paid for and arranged.
3) Receive your prize from the hands of His Majesty The King.
4) Make a small speech at the dinner afterwards.

And if you're the literature laureate:

5) Hold a Nobel lecture in connection to the prize ceremony.

Dylan, of course, failed on every point.

However, he may be lucky this time around. The permanent Secretary of The Swedish Academy, Sara Danius, has invested some prestige in this. And prestige is everything in these circles. If Dylan failed here it wouldn't look good on her. So I think she will let Dylan off the hook and give him the prize (which is already done in a private secret ceremony) and the prize money although Dylan would never be able to hold a lecture due to his public shyness and lack of character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 16:59 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2017 00:50

Herald Sun -- 3 April 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: April 3, 2017 00:59

Advertiser - 03 April 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: April 3, 2017 09:48

Stoneage
Well, the requisites are not that demanding. You'll have to:

1) Answer the phone and say thank you.
2) Attend your own ceremony. Everything is paid for and arranged.
3) Receive your price from the hands of His Majesty The King.
4) Make a small speech at the dinner afterwards.

And if you're the literature laureate:

5) Hold a Nobel lecture in connection to the prize ceremony.

Dylan, of course, failed on every point.

However, he may be lucky this time around. The permanent Secretary of The Swedish Academy, Sara Danius, has invested some prestige in this. And prestige is everything in these circles. If Dylan failed here it wouldn't look good on her. So I think she will let Dylan off the hook and give him the prize (which is already done in a private secret ceremony) and the prize money although Dylan would never be able to hold a lecture due to his public shyness and lack of character.

Dylan let her off the hook by accepting it. And treats his loyal Swedish fans to regular stops on his tours every two years at the most....and was imo, tho I see we differ on this point, gracious enough to accept and say that he was honored and that it was wonderful. you got the wrong guy for the crawl or kneel here. Tho I know you see see those little things he would have had to have done were areas he was remiss in; maybe a lot of things. Maybe he deserved the holiday season w his family. He certainly earns what little down-time he can get for that; and I bet there's still a whole lot of parenting going on too...

....AND The only explosive things Dylan manufactures are performances and songs. I love that he's nobody's kneeling puppy...not even for a million cool ones. Didn't you read that speech by Horace Engdahl? Not that it will change your mind or feelings but I think everybody's handled this great.

They are lucky to have him. There hasn't been this much fuss about a Nobel in quite awhile. Dylan is a man of inestimable character. In his work, with his family and very quietly with the community and a lot of people he has supported in various ways he'll never talk about. Lovely man, filled with righteousness, wisdom and good character. In fact he IS quite a character lol...

...tho I understand how you feel, and probably a lot of folks are agreeing w you around the world. Not me on this one though....not that mattters, we are just fans, but I stand by his character; I would even call him a moralist tho he would reject that firmly and quicly, because he also has great humility, if not pissed off anyway. smiling smiley I am guessing his Swedish fans, the actual fans, are very proud of him and totally get it. haha Horace just HAD to get that remark about the Dynamite invention into HIS, honestly glorious, speech at the ceremony.

Best to stand back a little rather than rush right into the fawning. he was probably very moved; I think he handled it just right. Sending Patti was a huge mark of respect, if you wanna look it like that, but a lot of folks won't and I understand that; I just respectfully disagree w it. I think he's probably very proud of his SWedish fans and shows. He keeps going back many times...to do his job...as he sees it. And honestly we don't know....maybe he will send a tape or do a special song; tho that will not change the minds or hearts of those who feel snubbed. I don't think the Swedish or Scandinavian fans are dissing him; I think they love and revere him. Interesting setlists already w him this time around, as always imo.

And tho I'm not privvy to his private life; another way to look at it; or let's say info that could be added to the situation for perspective is he's a real old guy now; and he had just finished a huge and exhausted two year world wide never ending tour for the holidays, and would be back on the raod, as we can see early this year. Maybe it was time for Thanksgiving with his family. He has a BIG family, with lots of kids and grand-kids...AND he was just about to get off work for a few weeks finally and maybe he's doing right by his family....AND he's older than dirt and still doin' it...
Yep here was coming the biggest Jewish and Christian holidays, he was finally off from doing exhausting work that artists many decades younger could not do without self was destructing...i think all of that denotes good character....

...he releasess a new triple album at age 76 and is touring...that's his job the way he sees it and I respect it enormously...he's actually very candid and wide open in a lot of is material...I so admire him in so many ways. And am truly grateful for him still working!! I like the way he's handled all this personally.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 10:03 by hopkins.

Date: April 3, 2017 11:47

I'm ready for the show in Oslo tomorrow. Can't wait! thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 3, 2017 11:52

DandelionPowderman

"Can't Wait"? He won't play that one... grinning smiley

Date: April 3, 2017 11:55

dcba
DandelionPowderman

"Can't Wait"? He won't play that one... grinning smiley

Let's wait and see winking smiley

Date: April 4, 2017 02:05

The Australian -- 04 April 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 4, 2017 02:09

Next thing you know, Bob will be knighted "Sir Robert Zimmerman".

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 4, 2017 07:45

bleedingman
Next thing you know, Bob will be knighted "Sir Robert Zimmerman".

His name is Bob Dylan.

Date: April 4, 2017 08:38

Thanks Rockman. Great to see!! A 'nice, kind man' huh? whooda thunk? of course he is; this is tremendous; I'm glad to see it; I hope we get some feedback from the Swedish fans soon.

Your post inspired me to cruise around the web Rocky.

"Only 12 members of the Nobel Academy and Dylan’s personal staff were allowed to attend the event, according to the Guardian. For his part, Dylan hastily entered the ceremony through the backdoor wearing a black hoodie. Once inside, “Quite a bit of time was spent looking closely at the gold medal, in particular the beautifully crafted back, an image of a young man sitting under a laurel tree who listens to the Muse,” Sara Danius, the academy’s permanent secretary told the Guardian. “Spirits were high. Champagne was had,” she added.

We cannot confirm whether or not Dylan forgot the Nobel Prize in the backseat of a cab hours later."

haha; a bit of a comic that writer. there's a pic of him from the rear in his black hoodie here:
[consequenceofsound.net]

Date: April 5, 2017 10:00

Bob was on fire last night in Oslo. Too bad the show was in a concrete-banging arena (Oslo Spektrum, capacity: 9000), instead of in the Concert Hall (Konserthuset) he played in 2015.

However, the sound improved after a few numbers (the drum sound was horrible in the beginning - like someone banging on a cardboard box with tooth picks).

Setlist:

1. «Things Have Changed»

2. «To Ramona»

3. «Highway 61 Revisited»

4. «Beyond Here Lies Nothin’»

5. «Why Try To Change Me Now»

6. «Early Roman Kings»

7. «Melancholy Mood»

8. «Duquesne Whistle»

9. «Love Sick»

10. «Tangled Up In Blue»

11. «Pay In Blood»

12. «Spirit On The Water»

13. «Scarlet Town»

14. «All Or Nothing At All»

15. «Desolation Row»

16. «Soon After Midnight»

17. «That Old Black Magic»

18. «Long And Wasted Years»

19. «Autumn Leaves»

20. «Blowin’ In The Wind»

21. «Ballad Of A Thin Man»

Here's a clip from the show:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-05 10:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 5, 2017 10:27

Bob Dylan - Tangled up in blue - Live Oslo, April 4th 2017

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 5, 2017 11:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 5, 2017 12:15

Rockman

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 5, 2017 12:58

DandelionPowderman
Bob was on fire last night in Oslo. Too bad the show was in a concrete-banging arena (Oslo Spektrum, capacity: 9000), instead of in the Concert Hall (Konserthuset) he played in 2015.

However, the sound improved after a few numbers (the drum sound was horrible in the beginning - like someone banging on a cardboard box with tooth picks).

Setlist:

1. «Things Have Changed»

2. «To Ramona»

3. «Highway 61 Revisited»

4. «Beyond Here Lies Nothin’»

5. «Why Try To Change Me Now»

6. «Early Roman Kings»

7. «Melancholy Mood»

8. «Duquesne Whistle»

9. «Love Sick»

10. «Tangled Up In Blue»

11. «Pay In Blood»

12. «Spirit On The Water»

13. «Scarlet Town»

14. «All Or Nothing At All»

15. «Desolation Row»

16. «Soon After Midnight»

17. «That Old Black Magic»

18. «Long And Wasted Years»

19. «Autumn Leaves»

20. «Blowin’ In The Wind»

21. «Ballad Of A Thin Man»

Very nice setlist, and it's great to see To Ramona is on it. It's one of my favorite songs from His Bobness and I hope I can hear it live at least once in my life. thumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 5, 2017 19:27

Great set list
Really looking forward to seeing Bob in Paris in two weeks.

Nate thumbs up

Date: April 6, 2017 11:51

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2017 11:53

Rockman

thumbs up

Date: April 6, 2017 11:58

Rockman

How did Bob learn that? winking smiley

Date: April 6, 2017 12:19

How did Bob learn that?

He musta got a call from Yummy Daddy .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2017 13:46

IS Bob the man or what ?

Date: April 6, 2017 19:27

Maybe he learned it young from his relationship with Joan Baez? That's just idle speculation tho; I know she was really big and influential and important to his career and his emergence; it was complicated psychologically and otherwise; i usually try to stay out of people's personal lives and I don't know how much is just idle (idol) speculation, but there's this book from an old friend and confidant, and other material that thinks at least part of his big lesson was the relationship with Joan and what she represented to him, and to the world....he would go on to have 3 marriages that he has sort of admitted to, and another two by other reports...

i honestly don't know how much of this is tabloid; or edited selectively to be so but...
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 6, 2017 19:35

TheGreek
IS Bob the man or what ?

Bob's 'da man

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 126

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home