Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: Werchter Belgium 28 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Date: June 29, 2014 19:13

Can't Be seen

Date: June 29, 2014 19:15

Miss You

Date: June 29, 2014 19:17

Sympathy For The Devil

Date: June 29, 2014 19:23

Can't Be Seen

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 29, 2014 19:25

Milan
MR

Great performance. Great filming. Aint RW a friend of MT? Cant he give him the contact for his hairdresser? Taylor looks like a Granny...

Date: June 29, 2014 19:30

Did Anyone of you found the link for,

You Got The Silver
Brown Sugar

please post it, Thanks

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 29, 2014 19:35

24FPS
Sorry, I try not to comment on these particular threads about particular concerts, because those people really seem excited about the particular concert they attended. But sometimes when I see these set in concrete setlists it does anger me. They don't listen to us. They don't care about us and what we want. And as long as they can get enough rubes to pay big bucks, they'll care even less. Hey, I know I'm whizzing up a rope, but there's so little time left with the band, and I hate to see it wasted this way. I guess I put the Stones on a higher pedestal than the other bands, and it's kind of sad to see them go out like this. I guess they already went out with A Bigger Bang.

From my perspective, in Europe (and in Japan as well), the Stones are doing exactly what I thought that they should do to to preserve their legacy. The US shows, where venues were small and ticket prices were very high ($250-$450 nosebleeds, $650-$825 lower stands).

In contrast, the Stones have done it right (in my view) in Europe. Venues are huge, including festivals at Pinkpop, TW Classic, Roskilde. For Stockholm, tickets run from $99 (stands) to about $225 (golden circle in Stockholm is cheaper than nosebleeds in the US), and Stockholm is probably the most expensive European show. The shows have all been instant sell-outs. In Paris, I saw families, and many, many younger fans. In the US the crowds were much older, with many people going alone because they could not afford a ticket for the wife/girlfriend/child. I took my 16 year old daughter to Paris, and she loved it, despite being more of a One Direction fan. I know two younger women (sisters, 25 and 30 years old) who have never seen the Stones, but "thought it would be fun" and actually scheduled their summer vacation in Europe so they could catch the Stones show in Stockholm. That could never have happened in the US.

They are getting their music out to a much wider audience in Europe, and the atmosphere, at least at the 70,000 Stade de France, was terrific. For younger audiences, the songs that first generation fans may have heard too many times sound fresh. All us older fans complain about how Gimme Shelter is a little too "friendly" and complain about Lisa, etc., but my daughter, who had never heard it live, thought it was the highlight of the show. So yes, perhaps the Stones don't care about "us", if by "us" you mean 50-70 year olds who have been to multiple shows over the decades. But by playing larger venues at lower prices, the Stones have allowed a much broader demographic to experience their most well-known music, and I am glad that they are doing it, even think that's the right thing for them to do.

Date: June 29, 2014 19:54

Honky Tonk Women

Date: June 29, 2014 20:06

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Date: June 29, 2014 20:13

It's Only Rock'n'Roll

Posted by: jujules ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:15

Ok, maybe I'm not the best review-writer, mostly because I don't have that many shows to compare this one with, but then again,maybe that's a good thing too.

I arrived really early and had a nice spot up front and spend a nice day there;met lovely neighbours for the day. I liked Admiral Freebee a lot, Seasick Steve of course and Arno, but I guess the non-belgians were wondering what the hell was going on with him...haha, Well, he was just being Arno...But then I absolutely hated Triggerfinger! And what were those turning lights-squares on stage supposed to do? Evoke epilepsy attacks in the audience ? And unfortunately the Simple Minds weren't much better, at this time we really wanted the Stones. Herman Schuermans (the organiser) must be a big Simple Minds fan, keeping asking them back on ALL his festivals.

But of course, all was fine and forgiven once the Stones hit the stage! Yes, the stage was really high, but that means almost everybody in the audience has a good view, isn't that better than a low stage were just the happy few have some sort of a view and all the others end up watching the screens? My neck still hurts but I was happy being so close. I read all these comments that the crowed was "lame". Well, difficult to judge without much comparison, but I can say that all the people I saw, were definitely there for the Stones and the Stones only. I saw a lot of them really listening to the songs,attentively, not completely drunk, respecting there neighbours while dancing,living the moment without trying to film it...Is that such a bad thing? Maybe you can call it lame, but people were definitely enjoying the show! But hey, we Belgians are not exactly know for exuberant festival behaviour and I'm fine with that.

My personal highlights: It's all over now and definitely midnight rambler.

Everybody on stage looked much more relaxed than the few other shows I've seen, no important filming going on, it's only the belgians,...Mick was constantly babbling in Dutch, good accent but still, half the time I had no idea what he was saying. I think at one point he said "Ronnie rijdt graag het gras af", which means "Ronnie likes mowing the lawn" but why should he share this information with us?

It so strange, you spend the whole day waiting and you want time to go faster, and then the stones are finally on and you love every second of it hope it never ends...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:20

claudine

Sigh

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:26

@ drbryant : You are absolutely right here : I had FOS for 180 E, which was a really reasonable price, compared to USA. Stayed in a hostel at 25 E per night,toilets were for free, water was for free, beer only 2.50 Euro, busticket to Leuven up and down 5 Euro.

Accessible for a lot of people, concerning the money.

And when you entered at 12.00 hrs, you had music for 13 hours in total.
And a real nice day. I think that a lunapark or a Disney-thing all day, including a McDonalds, is more expensive. ( Sorry to compare....).

Date: June 29, 2014 20:33

You Got The Silver

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:41

jumpingjackflash68 !!! Thanks for the uploads...thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:58

DoomandGloom
jumpingjackflash68 !!! Thanks for the uploads...thumbs up

+1. thumbs up

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:02

I just can't understand it, maybe because I have an IQ of 158, LOL!
THis was NOT a Stones concert; it was a festival!

And that means you're having a very mixed crowd: 55.000 non-Stones fans and 10.000 Stones fans, shattered over the festival ground.

Also in the Golden Circle, the crowd was "mixed". But when I looked around during the Stones performance, you could recognize the Stones fans by there facial expression. Ecstasy is an appropriate word. You just looked at an other fan and a smile would appear on your faces.

Many others were just there because they had paid and wanted to see all the bands, including the Stones.

When I left the GC between the Simple Minds and The Stones to get me a coffee (!), I had to make my way through lots of mainly youngsters to people 30 or 40 years old that were already so drunk that they wouldn't have noticed if Justin Bieber would have taken the stage instead of the Stones.

But during the Stones' set, you could see the clusters of Stones fans, and they were reacting!!!!

A last word,and I've written that before somewhere, sometime; A Stones concert nowadays is a package, not just a series of songs, but a visual spectacle, lifted to a higher level by the songs. And if they make a mistake here and there, so what? And the sound wasn't maybe not so good?

Fu...., you're in the same place as the Stones, spending some time together, so enjoy and go home happy because you have seen the best Rock 'n' Roll band in the world one more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And remember.... this might have been the last time (We all know that there will be no more real tours when this one is over, we don't want it the end, but look deep in your heart and you'll agree......)

Chris from Belgium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 21:04 by coowouters.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:03

drbryant
24FPS
Sorry, I try not to comment on these particular threads about particular concerts, because those people really seem excited about the particular concert they attended. But sometimes when I see these set in concrete setlists it does anger me. They don't listen to us. They don't care about us and what we want. And as long as they can get enough rubes to pay big bucks, they'll care even less. Hey, I know I'm whizzing up a rope, but there's so little time left with the band, and I hate to see it wasted this way. I guess I put the Stones on a higher pedestal than the other bands, and it's kind of sad to see them go out like this. I guess they already went out with A Bigger Bang.

From my perspective, in Europe (and in Japan as well), the Stones are doing exactly what I thought that they should do to to preserve their legacy. The US shows, where venues were small and ticket prices were very high ($250-$450 nosebleeds, $650-$825 lower stands).

In contrast, the Stones have done it right (in my view) in Europe. Venues are huge, including festivals at Pinkpop, TW Classic, Roskilde. For Stockholm, tickets run from $99 (stands) to about $225 (golden circle in Stockholm is cheaper than nosebleeds in the US), and Stockholm is probably the most expensive European show. The shows have all been instant sell-outs. In Paris, I saw families, and many, many younger fans. In the US the crowds were much older, with many people going alone because they could not afford a ticket for the wife/girlfriend/child. I took my 16 year old daughter to Paris, and she loved it, despite being more of a One Direction fan. I know two younger women (sisters, 25 and 30 years old) who have never seen the Stones, but "thought it would be fun" and actually scheduled their summer vacation in Europe so they could catch the Stones show in Stockholm. That could never have happened in the US.

They are getting their music out to a much wider audience in Europe, and the atmosphere, at least at the 70,000 Stade de France, was terrific. For younger audiences, the songs that first generation fans may have heard too many times sound fresh. All us older fans complain about how Gimme Shelter is a little too "friendly" and complain about Lisa, etc., but my daughter, who had never heard it live, thought it was the highlight of the show. So yes, perhaps the Stones don't care about "us", if by "us" you mean 50-70 year olds who have been to multiple shows over the decades. But by playing larger venues at lower prices, the Stones have allowed a much broader demographic to experience their most well-known music, and I am glad that they are doing it, even think that's the right thing for them to do.

An intelligent assessment, rather than whining about who is a whiner. I understand exactly what they're doing, and that's to appeal to the lowest common denominator, quite successfully. It is amazing that at this stage in their career they can attract fresh audiences. That their long times fans have mostly peeled away in disillusionment doesn't bother them a wit. They are show business people and as long as they have adoring crowds, of any stripe, paying them a King's ransom, they're happy. As someone mentioned earlier, it's like going to a musical now, with every moment choreographed, and nothing left to chance.

Of course, the Rolling Stones of the past would have been derisive of the Senior Citizen Rolling Stones. Bill was pretty much right when he expressed upon his leaving that they'd done it all, and the rest would be repeating. He might regret not hauling in the big dough, but certainly didn't miss any artistic triumphs.

I guess a foreshadowing of the current situation occurred at the 2006 Dodger Stadium show I attended. It was an absolute spectacle, with fireworks and light shows and ear crushing sound system. Mick was incredible, and it was an extremely satisfying event. But then later I thought about it, and I realized the music wasn't all that great. I couldn't remember any Keith highlights, even though he was there, black eyeliner and all. I realized I had been to a Stones show, not a Stones concert.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:19

jumpingjackflash68

It's All Over Now

Great job on this song. Nice solo. Is that Keith playing it? Can't see in the video.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:26

24FPS
drbryant
24FPS

An intelligent assessment, rather than whining about who is a whiner. I understand exactly what they're doing, and that's to appeal to the lowest common denominator, quite successfully. It is amazing that at this stage in their career they can attract fresh audiences. That their long times fans have mostly peeled away in disillusionment doesn't bother them a wit. They are show business people and as long as they have adoring crowds, of any stripe, paying them a King's ransom, they're happy. As someone mentioned earlier, it's like going to a musical now, with every moment choreographed, and nothing left to chance.

Of course, the Rolling Stones of the past would have been derisive of the Senior Citizen Rolling Stones. Bill was pretty much right when he expressed upon his leaving that they'd done it all, and the rest would be repeating. He might regret not hauling in the big dough, but certainly didn't miss any artistic triumphs.

I guess a foreshadowing of the current situation occurred at the 2006 Dodger Stadium show I attended. It was an absolute spectacle, with fireworks and light shows and ear crushing sound system. Mick was incredible, and it was an extremely satisfying event. But then later I thought about it, and I realized the music wasn't all that great. I couldn't remember any Keith highlights, even though he was there, black eyeliner and all. I realized I had been to a Stones show, not a Stones concert.

I think both these views are right. I agree that fanatics like us are only a minute percentage of their stadium audience but I don't think it is right to ignore their very loyal long-term fans. The Stones say they rehearsed 70 songs, and they could safely circulate more than the 25 or 30 they have done this tour while avoiding any risks (commercial or musical).

Date: June 29, 2014 22:11

24FPS
drbryant
24FPS

But their long time fans haven't been peeled away. They're right in the golden circle, dancing to Brown Sugar for maybe the 100th time. Enjoying it!

Date: June 29, 2014 22:13

Wroclaw
with sssoul
Wroclaw
Look at the Wyman fiasco in Nov. 26/29 (the backstage issue) - does it sounds as if they make an effort towards "being special"?

... Huh? Which fiasco do you mean?

The fact (in his words at least) he was summoned for a "special celebration", hardly had any chance to rehearse and was given a spot in 2 songs - ALL OF THIS without really preparing him for that. I guess Bill is not the easiest person around, but his description left me with the feeling the whole thing was not thought about as for "being special for the fan's who love us for so long".

Don't know anything about your sources re: Bill, but I happen to know him and I
do not know him as being "not the easiest person". Bill is nice, relaxed and very funny.

Keith playing Doom & Gloom with new tele in Werchter
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 29, 2014 19:37

And it was not the one BS borrowed for Tumbling Dice in Lisbon.
Any pictures and/or info. about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 19:38 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Re: Keith playing Doom & Gloom with new tele in Werchter
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 29, 2014 20:28

See here:
[www.iorr.org]

edit: ah, looks like it is a black Tele with maple neck. interesting.
pics please, someone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 20:55 by open-g.

Date: June 29, 2014 21:02

If so, it's the first time he played D&G without Gloria and the norwegian pickups. Interesting indeed!

Date: June 29, 2014 21:04

The blond one Keith have used for D&G earlier this tour is also a mystery to me, never seen it before on stage. Must be an old spare from Keiths collection that never been used live untill now.

Date: June 29, 2014 21:05

DandelionPowderman
If so, it's the first time he played D&G without Gloria and the norwegian pickups. Interesting indeed![/quote

Is Gloria the blond tele?

Date: June 29, 2014 21:10

Last year Keith played D&G with the blond esquire and in the video he used the black tele custom and recently he have used "the blond mystery tele" and yesterday he played with a "new" black tele with humbucker in the neck that looked like a newly made relic.

So we now have four different teles and two of those is still unknown to me.

Date: June 29, 2014 21:15

JumpinJeppeFlash
DandelionPowderman
If so, it's the first time he played D&G without Gloria and the norwegian pickups. Interesting indeed![/quote

Is Gloria the blond tele?

Yep.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:15

I know nothing about guitars but officialkeef today tweeted a photo "Backstage at Belgium", which is perhaps the blond one mentioned. Whatever, it seems like the photo is targeted at you guys!

[instagram.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home