Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times in 24 hrs to support Veterans and fight against cancer...
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 26, 2014 01:38

Hello,

It's almost that silly season again (no, I don't mean The Stones playing shows) when I decide on a fairly daft cycling challenge. These have gotten steadily worse as the years have passed but this one marks a new low point, hah-hah!
While I'm here, a massive thank you to all the super-generous IORRians who have donated in the past: last year we raised £4000...all down to you.

I start pedalling solo from Warton in sunny (and hopefully tail-windy) Lancashire in the North West of England on Friday 11th July and arrive in Carpentras, which is right down in the far end of France. So that's 1000 miles in 7 and a bit days, carrying about 40lbs (18kg for you youngsters) of baggage. That's part one...

After a day-off I'll be joined by my regular partner in lycra crime, Mr Andy Wickham and then we have a go at Mont Ventoux, big time. The idea is to complete as many ascents of the 'Beast Of Provence' as we can in one day. And when I say 'we' I do of course mean 'I', hah-hah! Andy did three ascents in 2011 in a day which qualified him for membership of the 'Club des Cingles du Mont-Ventoux' which translates loosely as 'Club Of Screwballs'.

This time we are aiming at six ascents which equates to cycling uphill for 85 miles up a gradient of about 9% average, and climbing just shy of 30,000 feet which is more than the height of Mount Everest. Not quite sure if I have words to describe what that loosely translates into...
Only seven English cyclists have completed this challenge and so far zero cyclists from Norn Iron!

As I said, each year these challenges have gotten steadily worse but this marks a new low. Before I get the violins out, the reason for attempting this is to try and persuade you to sponsor me and divert some of your ill gotten/hard earned cash towards two very, very deserving causes: the Royal British Legion and Cancer Research UK.

By now, the word 'cancer' will have affected your life on more than one occasion I'll bet: maybe a family member or friend or even someone you have never met but who means something to you. CRUK are constantly working to find out how we can halt the disease in its many forms but this takes a lot of money to fund.

2014 marks the centenary of the start of The Great War and also the 70th anniversary of the Normandy Landings which will spotlight the veterans who gave everything for their country. Unfortunately there are many more people who served in the Armed Forces and have suffered in the numerous conflicts since 1945 and this is where the RBL come in. These are people who deserve our thanks and support.

To support CANCER RESEARCH UK please CLICK HERE...thanks!

If you would like to help the The Royal British Legion please CLICK ON THIS!

The bad news for me is that I will donate £100 for every £500 raised on either of the sites.
As before, I'll keep a blog going at SHUT UP LEGS! Expect the same old rubbish, hah-hah!

Thanks to you, and thanks BV for allowing me to pester you good people here at IORR.

All the best,

Simon.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 00:05 by SimonN.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 26, 2014 22:42

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:50 by colonial.

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times for Veterans and against cancer...
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 26, 2014 22:55

Nice one Simon.

All the best and keep right on. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times for Veterans and against cancer...
Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 28, 2014 14:08

colonial
SimonN..thumbs up
>grinning smiley<

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times to support Veterans and fight against cancer...
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 28, 2014 18:29

Hi Simon,

Just given your mission a little top up. Good luck old boy. Mike

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times to support Veterans and fight against cancer...
Date: May 28, 2014 19:51

Hello,

Well, what about that? Borderline ropey day at work and then log on to find three of my favourite (shameless, right?) IORRians have very generously donated to Cancer Research.

A massive thank you to Mike (Odean73), Mike (Silver Dagger) and Brenda (Green Lady)! You are aware that if you and I were in proximity of a pub right now then you'd be force-fed a 'thank you' drink? I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Simon.

Date: May 29, 2014 00:08

The drinks should be on us Simon.

I will see how much money i have left from paris and make another donation.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 29, 2014 00:18

Always nice to read Simons post thanks....keep up the great work Simon............hope the wind is with you

Date: June 14, 2014 20:02

Hello,

I just get in from a lumpy 85 miler and what do I find? Only a really generous donation from one of IORR's own, Teleblaster!

I really cannot thank you enough, Iain. Drinks are most definitely on me Sir.

One other nice thing today was Jens 'Shut Up Legs' Voight finally RTing a tweet for me, after the 163rd time of me asking/pestering, hah-hah! The bloke is still nails.

27 days to go...blog is updated with nonsense regularly...

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times in 24 hrs to support Veterans and fight against cancer...
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 14, 2014 22:08

Another great cycling challenge by Simon,and it seems to come round again in a differant country,in hardly enough time to get his breath back and have a bit of rest time. >grinning smiley<

Mind you,one leg of the Stones tour ends in Hyde Park, and before yer know it, the next leg, in Abu Dhabi and Asia is on ,and now it's Europe in second gear already.

Time passes by faster as I get older,I know. winking smiley

Great effort and kudos to you Simon, for getting stuck in,and getting yer butt in the saddle for such good causes.

Been to the opening Oslo gig and Zurich ,and only other one on this leg will be Madrid fairly soon.

After that ,I will try and support you as much as I can on this forum, for such good causes,that are all dear to my heart. smileys with beer

Re: O/T IORRian cycling 1000 miles & climbing Mont Ventoux six times in 24 hrs to support Veterans and fight against cancer...
Date: June 15, 2014 00:41

Hi Simon,

I will be raising a drink in your honour, just getting ready for the England match.

Keep up the good work.thumbs up

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 15, 2014 10:30

SimonN
Hello,

I just get in from a lumpy 85 miler and what do I find? Only a really generous donation from one of IORR's own, Teleblaster!

One other nice thing today was Jens 'Shut Up Legs' Voight finally RTing a tweet for me, after the 163rd time of me asking/pestering, hah-hah! The bloke is still nails.

Cheers,

Simon.

It's my pleasure, Simon. You're the one doing the hard work! A fantastic effort on your part every year.

I lost my mother to cancer and, fellow IORRians, if you're reading this and cancer hasn't affected your life so far, you are bloody lucky.

Dig deep, fellow Stones fans. Think how much you spend in T shirts alone, ha ha! It's easy to donate online - I used Paypal.

Date: June 15, 2014 23:34

teleblaster
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Simon.

It's my pleasure, Simon. You're the one doing the hard work! A fantastic effort on your part every year.

I lost my mother to cancer and, fellow IORRians, if you're reading this and cancer hasn't affected your life so far, you are bloody lucky.

Dig deep, fellow Stones fans. Think how much you spend in T shirts alone, ha ha! It's easy to donate online - I used Paypal.

This. thumbs up

Date: July 2, 2014 16:19

Hello,

A Hump Day bump folks, hah-hah! Avery big thank you is in order to Gazza for his generous donation to Cancer Research...again. Very much appreciated mate.

I set-off on Friday 11th July so please have a gander at my ropey blog for (hopefully) daily updates and nonsense, as per.

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: July 2, 2014 16:38

Hello,

No, it ain't another bump this time, but a real big thank you to IORR's Rolling Hansie!
Listen man, if I could I'd get the beers in to say thanks on behalf of CRUK...the money does make a difference, I know.
Keep on rolling, indeed!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 2, 2014 22:47

Right on mate smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 2, 2014 23:21

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:33 by colonial.

Date: July 24, 2014 18:21

Hello, Hello, Hello!

Job done...mission accomplished! I cycled the 1000 miles in 8 days and then climbed Mont Ventoux 6 times in one day...get in!

It was the definitely the most difficult day that I've had on a bike and am in bit right now, but a massive thank you to you IORRians who took the time and trouble to sponsor me...we have raised £2K for Cancer Research and £1.7K for The Royal British Legion.
I really cannot thank you enough, and if it were possible I would buy you all a beer. Really! Thanks also to BV for allowing me to post this challenge again. Stones fans are very generous people.

My blog is at [sul2014.blogspot.fr]

Again, thanks and gold rings etc...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 24, 2014 19:47

Well done Simon.

Another epic cycle ride completed,for two great causes. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 24, 2014 21:37

Well done Simon, congratulations

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 25, 2014 10:31

Hello,

This'll be last bump...honestly...but I couldn't let it go without thanking Crawdaddy who has just sponsored me again! Nice one Tony, I really appreciate it.

And thank you to Hans also...you guys do indeed rock.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2014 13:18

Well Done Simon!

Date: July 25, 2014 13:30

Great stuff, simon. thumbs up

You should be really proud of your self.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home