Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: Keith playing Doom & Gloom with new tele in Werchter
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 29, 2014 21:25

Beast
I know nothing about guitars but officialkeef today tweeted a photo "Backstage at Belgium", which is perhaps the blond one mentioned. Whatever, it seems like the photo is targeted at you guys!

[instagram.com]

No, it's not that guitar, that one has six strings and standard tuning.

Re: Werchter Belgium 28 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Date: June 29, 2014 22:13

OK!!!

Date: June 29, 2014 22:18

You Got The Silver - Complete

Date: June 29, 2014 22:22

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (w. Mick Taylor)

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: June 29, 2014 22:25

So, for me this was a very special one.
I went with my son and it was his very first concert of The Stones. And he liked it very much!! smiling bouncing smiley
We stood against the inside of the golden circle, Keith's side and in the back. The GC was 50% empty at Keith's side.
The sound was good but indeed it was soft. For me it was okay, I could talk easily.
The crowd was extremely quiet and dull. No arms in the air, almost no singing along. Most enthusiastic with Miss You.
They played almost perfect, very well. They were smiling a lot and between Keith and Mick there was lots of interaction. Like Pinkpop, and there was almost nothing at Dusseldorf.
The harmonica from Mick sounded so sharp, so clear... Very, very good!
My son said afterwards: "it is very different te see them real than at the video's from YT. I like this better". He liked all the greatest hits but was really disappointed that they didnt do the song vote. He voted for dead flowers.
It was really so great to see him enthusiastic till the end! I enjoyed the show on a very different, relaxed way than all other Stonesshows of my life.
It was very busy by merchandise and lots of stuff was sold out.
I didn't care about the rain, I liked Mick's big hat! But the afterparty at the campsite wasn't there.
And yes, there was someone yelling "homo, homo' at Mick. He stood beside us but was also dancing and singing with the music. So...confused smiley
It took us about one hour to the campsite, so much traffic. (with bicycle, 3km)
It was a very special Stonesevening in very different ways, but I liked it!

(Always took candy from strangers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 22:37 by Niek.

Date: June 29, 2014 22:30

1 Hour 5 Minutes @ Werchter

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 29, 2014 22:57

Niek
I went with my son and it was his very first concert of The Stones. And he liked it very much!! smiling bouncing smiley
We stood against the inside of the golden circle, Keith's side and in the back. The GC was 50% empty at Keith's side.
The sound was good but indeed it was soft. For me it was okay, I could talk easily.
The crowd was extremely quiet and dull. No arms in the air, almost no singing along. Most enthusiastic with Miss You.
They played almost perfect, very well. They were smiling a lot and between Keith and Mick there was lots of interaction. Like Pinkpop, and there was almost nothing at Dusseldorf.
My son said afterwards: "it is very different te see them real than at the video's from YT. I like this better". He liked all the greatest hits but was really disappointed that they didnt do the song vote. He voted for dead flowers.
It was really so great to see him enthusiastic till the end! I enjoyed the show on a very different, relaxed way than all other Stonesshows of my life.
I didn't care about the rain, I liked Mick's big hat! But the afterparty at the campsite wasn't there.
And yes, there was someone yelling "homo, homo' at Mick. He stood beside us but was also dancing and singing with the music. So...confused smiley

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Nate

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 29, 2014 23:13

that rambler is great, again

Date: June 29, 2014 23:14

Review Het laatste Nieuws

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2014 23:23

There's quite a lot of background detail in this report, but it's relevant to the "lameness" of the audience and the arguments over the length of the setlist.

Werchter has two festivals - the 3-day job later on, and this one-day TW Classic which is aimed at "classic" acts and draws a rather older audience to match. Lots of Belgian families and big groups - Mick had great fun practising his Flemish on them later on. It's a rural site and just getting there is a challenge. From Leuven station it's a twenty minute bus ride followed by a one-kilometre walk. Not a place you would want to be stranded after the show, and the information was that the De Lijn shuttle buses would only run until one hour after the show's scheduled finish at 12.45 a.m.

The site had been well provided with hard standing areas, so there wasn't a Glastonbury-style mudbath - just a miserable persistent drizzle for most of the afternoon. Many people in GA came armed with everything but the kitchen sink - picnic blankets, inflatable seats, acres of plastic sheeting, even umbrellas. They staked out their territory and set up camp to watch the early acts from under cover (see some of the pics posted on pages 1 and 2). Not much of an atmosphere, and long gaps between acts made it a long tiring day before the Stones came on at 10.30 p.m.

I arrived at about 4 - sorry to have missed Seasick Steve. Triggerfinger are not my cup of tea - loud squalling guitar feedback that seemed to go on forever. Before Simple Minds the rain stopped and the crowd came out from under their plastic sheets - I like Simple Minds and thought it was a good set, and eventually the crowd got going (though early on they didn't sing along where they were expected to). Then another whole hour to wait before the Stones.

And they were wonderful. From where I was (over on Ronnie's side not far from the sound and light tower) the sound was fine - just as well because I couldn't see much - just a glimpse to confirm that Keith was wearing one of THOSE jackets! But being there, hearing the impact of the band on the crowd and the night, and all the travelling and the weather and the aching feet were forgotten. Great loud guitars for JJF and YGMR - which the band obviously enjoy live, and so do I.

My luck was in, to hear It's All Over Now - but the other standout from this part of the show was Out Of Control, great interplay between Mick on harp and Keith on guitar, and it went down a storm with the crowd, too.

Oh yes, Mick did forget to introduce Chuck until after Ronnie. I know, 'cos I Was There.

Can't Be Seen was a glorious mess, as usual - musically great but lyrically unpredictable... but Keith nailed all his opening riffs all night - the Scarf was taking the night off. Ronnie excellent throughout the show.

And what a Midnight Rambler! I'm looking forward to the videos of that so I can savour it again, but standing there listening to it was something amazing.

Unfortunately, it was halfway through Midnight Rambler that the rain began again, and for the rest of the set it was just quietly getting heavier and steadier, reminding everyone that they didn't want to be stuck out here all night if they missed the bus. I think this was why people began to drift away during YCAGWYW.

The warhorse run was everything it should be. I'm beginning to agree with those who find that Lisa's voice isn't what it was on GS, but the guitars were great. The band were obviously having a blast, not wanting the numbers to end - but by now it was way past midnight and the audience, not the band, was getting tired. Everyone sang, and cheered Mick's Flemish jokes, but very few danced. I was beginning to notice that my feet ached and remembering the long walk ahead. For such a late start, another song in the setlist would have been too much, and the Stones had probably been told not to overrun because of the bus problem. I'd have done the fan vote and dropped a warhorse later on, but 20 songs just wasn't on in the circumstances.

So they finished on time. A wonderful night, great guitars, the band on fire - but yes, too long a day and too late a start meant it was partly wasted on a crowd too tired to appreciate it fully.

And then there was the aftermath. Others have mentioned the car jams - but there were also bicycle jams (thousands of people had cycled to the show) and huge people-jams. I thought an hour would be plenty to get to the bus park, but half an hour after the fireworks thousands of us were still caught in an immovable crush trying to get out of the main gate. I think someone had forgotten to open up all the exits so 50,000 people were trying to get through one tiny space. There was a big ironic cheer when someone obviously turned up with The Key - things went better after that, but still painfully slowly. I can still see in my mind's eye that long, long rainy canalside road jammed solid with weary TW Classic refugees heading for the buses, wondering what we'd do if they did indeed pack up at 1.45 leaving thousands of people behind...

God bless De Lijn! I don't know how late the buses ran, but I got mine well after 2.30 and was the last person onto it, so that I had a fun ride standing next to the driver watching the road. And so back to Leuven at 3, and I think buses were still leaving for Werchter even then.

So that's my tenth show, and my first in Foreign Parts. It was an adventure and worth every penny and every minute. Have had about three hours sleep since Saturday morning, so I'll close now.

And I forgot to tell you about the moment, five minutes from the Eurostar departure, when I realised I was in the right seat, but on the WRONG TRAIN and was about to be taken to Paris - cue mad dash across the platform to the Brussels train...

And may I say a big thank you to tioms for all the local knowledge and research.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 00:11 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 29, 2014 23:28

Geweldig Niek

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 29, 2014 23:32

Nice read Green Lady, especially the last part about the Eurostar train, LOL.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 29, 2014 23:35

Green Lady

So they finished on time. A wonderful night, great guitars, the band on fire - but yes, too long a day and too late a start meant it was partly wasted on a crowd too tired to appreciate it fully.

Maybe, but at Pinkpop with very hot sun and you could not bring in anything, even not a bottle of water,also a long wait till Stones started: there was a very enthusiastic public. So that covers it not totally.

Nice review and what a journey!

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: June 29, 2014 23:54

http://rockerparis.blogspot.fr/2014/06/the-rolling-stones-part-2-tw-classic.html

Mick "singing in the rain":

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 23:56 by rockerparis.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:00

Great Mick Jagger as usual. smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:01

here it is green lady, and it's really some 14 minutes worth listening and watching

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:05

Ouch, great great Mick Taylor eye popping smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 30, 2014 00:08

Niek
Green Lady

Maybe, but at Pinkpop with very hot sun and you could not bring in anything, even not a bottle of water,also a long wait till Stones started: there was a very enthusiastic public. So that covers it not totally.

Nice review and what a journey!

Pinkpop = younger audience, and though sun can be just as tiring as rain, it isn't so depressing. Both Hyde Park shows were also long waits in the hot sun, and they were also great.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:11

Niek

Very nice to read this. You are very lucky Niek.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:15

steffiestones
A nice pic of the stage and the golden circle.

I agree with some comments here about the high stage, the people FOS can't see very much if you look at the pic.

Date: June 30, 2014 00:17

MingSubu
Niek

Very nice to read this. You are very lucky Niek.

Yes - I loved hearing Mick's harp playing. So glad your son had a chance to find out how different they are "real".

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:19

Rolling Hansie
Nice read Green Lady, especially the last part about the Eurostar train, LOL.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:22

Niek
I didn't care about the rain, I liked Mick's big hat!

Niek, nice review, I agree with all of the above!
Can´t write my own, cause I´m too tired after 1400 km in 36 hours.

Our sons will never forget, Iwent with my son to Berlin. Today he was singing
"is just a shot away, is just a shot away" while packing his bag. Great!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 30, 2014 00:31

Very nice stories all around, thanks everyone. So glad your son had a memorable show Niek, and very glad you got on the right train, Green Lady!

That shot of Mick in the rain is terrific.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 30, 2014 01:35

Hello. Let me anticipate the report I've just sent:

The Werchter festival site looks at the same time bleak and pictoresque, as it's located in a typical flemish countryside setting. It's quite isolated, but the bus company organized an effective transportation service form Leuven.

After entering the venue, I was so unfortunate to came across some of the most stupid, dull and unpolite people I've ever met in a Stones concert. Basically, these guys raised a pointless argument over a spot close to the barrier front of stage. I didn't want to argue with them, so I didn't really question anything that they said, but I wanted them to explain the reason as to why they were so rude and unpolite. One of them said that's the common attitude among Belgian people. Go figure! I said “congratulations to you!” and moved on a few meters away, where I joined forces with two very nice couples, one from the Netherlands and the other from Hamburg, Germany (Hi Ralph!). Anyway, I sensed that the audience would not be so great and that the atmosphere was not going to be so enjoyable as in Zurich, Paris or Rome.

The weather was rainy at times, but not so bad as I feared. As I was ultra- prepared to much worse weather conditions, I had no problem at all with the showers coming from time to time. As per the opening acts, that Arno guy seems to be very popular in Belgium. His songs are not so bad, but he didn't impress me that much. Triggerfinger is another Belgian act which got a great response by the local crowd. I think the last two songs of the set were good, but beforehand the performance seemed to much forced and too much “over the top”.

Simple Minds were good enough. The firs part of the set was very strong, the second part, however, turned out to be very boring.

And then the Stones came on stage. The band pulled out a very strong performance, consistent with the overall very high level of the concerts of the current tour.

“Jumpin' Jack Flash” was really strong, “You Got Me Rocking” was OK, and “It's Only Rock'n Roll” was maybe the best I've heard this year. Keith's solo was really, really good. “Tumbling Dice” was ok (especially if you enjoy Ronnie's “noise” approach to the solo), and “Wild Horses” was very good. After that, we entered into the most interesting part of the concert. “Doom And Gloom” and “Out Of Control” were both superb and very energetic (in both case, the best renditions of these song I've seen in this tour). Between these two songs, “It's All Over Now” was a nice surprise, even if due to the sad circumstance of Bobby Womack's passing.
That song was very well performed by the boys, and Keith's solo in that number was unexpectedly good!
The first part of the set ended with an excellent “Honky Tonk Women”.
After the band's introductions (with Mick forgetting to introduce Chuck Leavell in the first place!), Keith sang a very good “You Got The Silver” and after that performed “Can't be Seen”, which was a complete mess, due to Keith's not caring so much about the lyrics. Fortunately “Can't Be Seen” ain't no “Gimme Shelter”, so nobody really cared about the poor rendition of the song.

After that, Mick came back with Mick Taylor for a stratospheric Midnight Rambler. That song – which has always been number one in my book – just keeps getting better concert after concert, and Mick Taylor's performance in Werchter was nothing short of incredible. That makes me wonder how much of a musical war machine would this band be in case more space were given to Mick Taylor's contribution, but this topic has already been stressed over and over again.

“Miss You” was infectous as usual, and I noticed Mick playing some very tasty funk guitar chords right before handing the guitar over to the roadie. After that, “Gimme Shelter” was very well played. There were just a few issues with the chord progression when Mick and Lisa were on the runway, but I guess that very few people noticed it.

“Start me Up” was great,even if Ronnie deliberately plays a messy solo just like he uses to to in “Tumbling Dice”, and “Sympathy For The Devil” was really excellent, maybe better than in Rome (where I particularly enjoyed the song). Both Keith's solos were really very good.

After that, although the opening riff was far from perfect, “Brown Sugar” went off really well, and also “You Can't Always Get What You Want” and “Satisfaction” were both excellent, as usual.

Performancewise, this was undoubtely a very very strong concert, probably in line with the one in Rome. As far as the atmosphere is concerned, however, the crowd was not so great as in other occasions. That being said, the band proved once again to be in a very good shape. As this was the last concert I see on this tour, I'm very happy that it was that good. In this tour the Rolling Stones amazed me once again! Thank you guys!!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 30, 2014 02:03

coowouters
@#$%& the whiners! I was there and it was great!

The Midnight Rambler in Werchter:

aren't you the guy who once had all those
amazing bootleg videos on youtube? cheers!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 30, 2014 02:04

Wild Slivovitz, enjoyed your account of the show!

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 30, 2014 02:10

Wild Slivovitz

After that, Mick came back with Mick Taylor for a stratospheric Midnight Rambler. That song – which has always been number one in my book – just keeps getting better concert after concert, and Mick Taylor's performance in Werchter was nothing short of incredible. That makes me wonder how much of a musical war machine would this band be in case more space were given to Mick Taylor's contribution, but this topic has already been stressed over and over again.

Great account of your experience.

You're right -- they are a completely different band with Taylor on stage. We all know it, but they ignore it.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 30, 2014 02:16

drbryant
24FPS
Sorry, I try not to comment on these particular threads about particular concerts, because those people really seem excited about the particular concert they attended. But sometimes when I see these set in concrete setlists it does anger me. They don't listen to us. They don't care about us and what we want. And as long as they can get enough rubes to pay big bucks, they'll care even less. Hey, I know I'm whizzing up a rope, but there's so little time left with the band, and I hate to see it wasted this way. I guess I put the Stones on a higher pedestal than the other bands, and it's kind of sad to see them go out like this. I guess they already went out with A Bigger Bang.

From my perspective, in Europe (and in Japan as well), the Stones are doing exactly what I thought that they should do to to preserve their legacy. The US shows, where venues were small and ticket prices were very high ($250-$450 nosebleeds, $650-$825 lower stands).

In contrast, the Stones have done it right (in my view) in Europe. Venues are huge, including festivals at Pinkpop, TW Classic, Roskilde. For Stockholm, tickets run from $99 (stands) to about $225 (golden circle in Stockholm is cheaper than nosebleeds in the US), and Stockholm is probably the most expensive European show. The shows have all been instant sell-outs. In Paris, I saw families, and many, many younger fans. In the US the crowds were much older, with many people going alone because they could not afford a ticket for the wife/girlfriend/child. I took my 16 year old daughter to Paris, and she loved it, despite being more of a One Direction fan. I know two younger women (sisters, 25 and 30 years old) who have never seen the Stones, but "thought it would be fun" and actually scheduled their summer vacation in Europe so they could catch the Stones show in Stockholm. That could never have happened in the US.

They are getting their music out to a much wider audience in Europe, and the atmosphere, at least at the 70,000 Stade de France, was terrific. For younger audiences, the songs that first generation fans may have heard too many times sound fresh. All us older fans complain about how Gimme Shelter is a little too "friendly" and complain about Lisa, etc., but my daughter, who had never heard it live, thought it was the highlight of the show. So yes, perhaps the Stones don't care about "us", if by "us" you mean 50-70 year olds who have been to multiple shows over the decades. But by playing larger venues at lower prices, the Stones have allowed a much broader demographic to experience their most well-known music, and I am glad that they are doing it, even think that's the right thing for them to do.

i totally agree with your take on the difference between
the American and European Tour. Sadly, the schedules of
pretty much every latter-day Stones Tour fit that pattern.
First they take in the major dough by playing the US (while
warming up, it seems) then they come over to Europe to do
a kind of victory lap with short sets and continually lowering
ticket prices. even more sadly, as they get older they are
getting evermore dependant on the positive vibes from their
audience. which influences their playing abilities more than
one might think. and the fans who could afford the arena shows
of 2013 (or even the "Pit" ) belong to a demographic which, sorry
to say, won't deliver this kind of energy to the band. lastly
(still sadly) the looks of that audience might have been the
reason for the Stones to choose dark arenas, while celebrating
bright and colourful festival spectacles in Europe.

edit: you are japanese, aren't you? are you in Europe right now?

and 24FPS, i also understand your point of view. but by going to
the two german concerts alone, i already got a variety of 22 songs.
three of which were firsts for me. count in Hyde Park #1 and make that
27. four of which were firsts for me. but as i said, they weren't
even close to shaking the rust off back then. which you wouldn't
believe lest you layed eyes on it. so i strongly suggest you try
anything to get to Stockholm and/or Roskilde. and be grateful that
you got the longer sets, a little more variation plus
all those great guest acts!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-30 02:48 by Nikkei.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 30, 2014 03:23

Nikkei
drbryant
24FPS
Sorry, I try not to comment on these particular threads about particular concerts, because those people really seem excited about the particular concert they attended. But sometimes when I see these set in concrete setlists it does anger me. They don't listen to us. They don't care about us and what we want. And as long as they can get enough rubes to pay big bucks, they'll care even less. Hey, I know I'm whizzing up a rope, but there's so little time left with the band, and I hate to see it wasted this way. I guess I put the Stones on a higher pedestal than the other bands, and it's kind of sad to see them go out like this. I guess they already went out with A Bigger Bang.

From my perspective, in Europe (and in Japan as well), the Stones are doing exactly what I thought that they should do to to preserve their legacy. The US shows, where venues were small and ticket prices were very high ($250-$450 nosebleeds, $650-$825 lower stands).

In contrast, the Stones have done it right (in my view) in Europe. Venues are huge, including festivals at Pinkpop, TW Classic, Roskilde. For Stockholm, tickets run from $99 (stands) to about $225 (golden circle in Stockholm is cheaper than nosebleeds in the US), and Stockholm is probably the most expensive European show. The shows have all been instant sell-outs. In Paris, I saw families, and many, many younger fans. In the US the crowds were much older, with many people going alone because they could not afford a ticket for the wife/girlfriend/child. I took my 16 year old daughter to Paris, and she loved it, despite being more of a One Direction fan. I know two younger women (sisters, 25 and 30 years old) who have never seen the Stones, but "thought it would be fun" and actually scheduled their summer vacation in Europe so they could catch the Stones show in Stockholm. That could never have happened in the US.

They are getting their music out to a much wider audience in Europe, and the atmosphere, at least at the 70,000 Stade de France, was terrific. For younger audiences, the songs that first generation fans may have heard too many times sound fresh. All us older fans complain about how Gimme Shelter is a little too "friendly" and complain about Lisa, etc., but my daughter, who had never heard it live, thought it was the highlight of the show. So yes, perhaps the Stones don't care about "us", if by "us" you mean 50-70 year olds who have been to multiple shows over the decades. But by playing larger venues at lower prices, the Stones have allowed a much broader demographic to experience their most well-known music, and I am glad that they are doing it, even think that's the right thing for them to do.

i totally agree with your take on the difference between
the American and European Tour. Sadly, the schedules of
pretty much every latter-day Stones Tour fit that pattern.
First they take in the major dough by playing the US (while
warming up, it seems) then they come over to Europe to do
a kind of victory lap with short sets and continually lowering
ticket prices. even more sadly, as they get older they are
getting evermore dependant on the positive vibes from their
audience. which influences their playing abilities more than
one might think. and the fans who could afford the arena shows
of 2013 (or even the "Pit" ) belong to a demographic which, sorry
to say, won't deliver this kind of energy to the band. lastly
(still sadly) the looks of that audience might have been the
reason for the Stones to choose dark arenas, while celebrating
bright and colourful festival spectacles in Europe.

edit: you are japanese, aren't you? are you in Europe right now?

and 24FPS, i also understand your point of view. but by going to
the two german concerts alone, i already got a variety of 22 songs.
three of which were firsts for me. count in Hyde Park #1 and make that
27. four of which were firsts for me. but as i said, they weren't
even close to shaking the rust off back then. which you wouldn't
believe lest you layed eyes on it. so i strongly suggest you try
anything to get to Stockholm and/or Roskilde. and be grateful that
you got the longer sets, a little more variation plus
all those great guest acts!

Not in Stockholm yet. Should arrive this evening. I was reading Niek's story about going with his son, and I realized that because of the prices, Niek might not have been able to have that experience if he lived in the US

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home