Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: OT: Clapton - what happened?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 26, 2014 21:15

I think the downside to Clapton is that, live-album wise, he can still push the envelope. Studio-wise, with the exception of the JJ Cale collaboration, he is treading water, and has been since parts of Reptile.

I think the albums Clapton did in the mid 90s, i.e. Unplugged, From The Cradle, and Pilgrim, are challenging works of art. Back Home is a bit complacent, so too Clapton, and Old Sock. However, Clapton has fallen back into the old ways of the 1980s, i.e. Behind The Sun and August, in that he's making music that is disposable. Journeyman was a brief respite from this. I also think that he should, possibly, ditch Simon Climie, and get himself a new producer.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 26, 2014 21:41

tomcasagranda
I think the downside to Clapton is that, live-album wise, he can still push the envelope. Studio-wise, with the exception of the JJ Cale collaboration, he is treading water, and has been since parts of Reptile.

I think the albums Clapton did in the mid 90s, i.e. Unplugged, From The Cradle, and Pilgrim, are challenging works of art. Back Home is a bit complacent, so too Clapton, and Old Sock. However, Clapton has fallen back into the old ways of the 1980s, i.e. Behind The Sun and August, in that he's making music that is disposable. Journeyman was a brief respite from this. I also think that he should, possibly, ditch Simon Climie, and get himself a new producer.
i agree 100%.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 26, 2014 21:48

GasLightStreet
Stonesrule, all you need are your ears.

Do you need me to be the authority for you that Hootie And The Blowfish and The Eagles suck as well or can you figure that one out yourself?

Did you actually read what I said? It doesn't look like it. I don't need to share my guitar expertise and what I know I'm talking about because my guitar expertise has nothing to do with Clapton being boring. Neil Pert is a hell of a drummer but he's boring too.

You're confusing it. Boring does not mean they suck ie they are bad, incapable, etc. Clapton, as I stated, is an incredible guitar player. It's just that he's boring.

However, Barbara Streisand is a horrible singer. Do I need to be a female to be the authority on that?

Clapton is indeed incredibly boring

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 26, 2014 21:52

GasLightStreet
Clapton is boring. Period. What, you want to hear the blues being played or want to hear blues played?

Listen to Hound Dog Taylor. Elmore James. RL Burnside. There's so many of 'em. Clapton is elevator music compared to actual blues players. He's a mathematician with guitar, they can't read or write but know how to play (I'm making a point; I don't really know). He's an excellent, fluid and perfect guitar player, they're messy, full of screwups and emotional.

He heard Robert Johnson and fell in love with blues and now he can play Robert Johnson better than Robert Johnson. With exception to one thing: any feeling at all.

A copy machine can churn out perfect reproductions of something boring.

That's what Clapton is. A boring copy machine and a white piece of paper that churns out the same boring shit.

Excellent post. Those that challenge you as to how many times you've heard Clapton live don't get it. I have no doubt that Clapton is a better technical player than so many others including myself and I am far from being a pro but I have a soul when I play.

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 27, 2014 00:07

To each his own, I guess.
As a Clapton fan, I like his playing a lot, and I feel a lot of emotion in his playing, especially in the older era. Since he became clean and happier personally, he got a wholy different vibe. Unlike most of younger players trying to sound like SRV, who sounded a bit too much like Hendrix combined with Albert King for my tastes, although he was not boring in the least, and had lots of emotion in his playing.
And I do love most of the old blues guys. BTW, I always preferred Son House to Robert Johnson.
Is EC boring? To some he is, to some he is not. And neither is a scientific fact. Only an opinion. Like things I mentioned earlier.
I have no problem accepting he bores some people, as some artists other rave about are boring to me.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 27, 2014 00:22

Poetry
To each his own, I guess.
As a Clapton fan, I like his playing a lot, and I feel a lot of emotion in his playing, especially in the older era. Since he became clean and happier personally, he got a wholy different vibe. Unlike most of younger players trying to sound like SRV, who sounded a bit too much like Hendrix combined with Albert King for my tastes, although he was not boring in the least, and had lots of emotion in his playing.
And I do love most of the old blues guys. BTW, I always preferred Son House to Robert Johnson.
Is EC boring? To some he is, to some he is not. And neither is a scientific fact. Only an opinion. Like things I mentioned earlier.
I have no problem accepting he bores some people, as some artists other rave about are boring to me.

Nice post. I'm with you on the preferance of Son House to Robert Johnson as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 27, 2014 00:50

Glad to hear that there's appreciation of Son House in this thread.
I remember taking Ronnie Van Zant to Tower Records and telling him to take any LP he wanted...that I had a large credit at Tower. He took only one -- a rare Son House album.

Re Buddy Guy, he may appear to be a legend today...but his playing was SO much better in his prime. I saw him with Junior Wells several times on the Stones
wonderful 1970 European tour. Buddy and Junior were incredibly exciting.

By the way, I admire much of Barbra Streisand's work, once again early in her career, and one of the best songs I ever heard is on YouTube -- Streisand and
Ray Charles singing together on "Crying Time."

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: June 27, 2014 01:45

I'm a big Clapton fan, saw him at the Albert Hall in 2006 and Hyde Park in 2008 and loved both shows. I'd certainly see him again. I know a lot of guitarists who find him dull, as a guitar player myself I don't, guess it all boils down to personal taste in the end. He was never as flashy as the likes of Page or Beck. I have to concede though that I'm not excited by any of his recent albums. Whilst I think the guy can still deliver the goods live I have no interest in his recent studio output. I still hope that he'll put out a great rocking album in the future though!

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 27, 2014 01:57

tomcasagranda

Hey there
got some amazing boots of the bluesbreakers & cream live stuff but outside that small world, I'm not too familiar with Clapton at all, could you recommend whats the best boots or official he's done thats got the music as down as he did back then?

also whats his best studio stuff that leans on the aboveapproach ie exhilerating, quality blues?

Cheers!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:00

Love him or not, Clapton is certainly a guitar icon. Ask any young player about the greatest guitar players and they will always mention Clapton. I don't know whether he merits the status or not really, but there it is. My teen son certainly worships him and plays Eric's old youtube vids all the time when he's fooling around on his guitar.

Stonesrule, I saw Buddy a few years ago and he was still very good. But, he couldn't play for that long. I am guessing that's why he brings the young prodigy Quinn Sullivan.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:04

Captainchaos
tomcasagranda

Hey there
got some amazing boots of the bluesbreakers & cream live stuff but outside that small world, I'm not too familiar with Clapton at all, could you recommend whats the best boots or official he's done thats got the music as down as he did back then?

also whats his best studio stuff that leans on the aboveapproach ie exhilerating, quality blues?

Cheers!

There's plenty, but the first that comes to mind, check out Derek & the Dominos "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" where he shares the spotlight with Duane Allman

Date: June 27, 2014 03:01

everyone knows claptons best studio stuff came before 1978

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 03:25

keefriffhard4life
everyone knows claptons best studio stuff came before 1978

He had a couple of nice SONGS after '78, but you're right, his guitar playing zenith had passed.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 27, 2014 03:59

I feel his best work in last 20 years was the one he did with JJ Cale 5 yrs ago or so.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 27, 2014 04:02

This was a nice moment back in April 2013. [www.youtube.com]

Date: June 27, 2014 04:15

trainarollin
I feel his best work in last 20 years was the one he did with JJ Cale 5 yrs ago or so.
wasn't from the cradle released in the last 20 years?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 27, 2014 04:40

Is Clapton's "decline" similar to Keith's?

Posted by: chop ()
Date: June 27, 2014 05:05

I was never impressed with Clapton the performer other than with Cream.

He always seemed to be unmotivated, going through the motions...never really throwing himself into his performances. When has he ever ripped off a ferocious Layla in concert like the album.

He's just too relaxed out there. Like a lounge singer

Tell you who really impressed me was Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty. They still care at least

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 05:13 by chop.

Date: June 27, 2014 06:25

chop
I was never impressed with Clapton the performer other than with Cream.

He always seemed to be unmotivated, going through the motions...never really throwing himself into his performances. When has he ever ripped off a ferocious Layla in concert like the album.

He's just too relaxed out there. Like a lounge singer

Tell you who really impressed me was Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty. They still care at least

if you read his book the issue is since the last 60's when he first heard them clapton has wanted to play something similar to THE BAND

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 09:42

stonesrule

Keith's seems related to his arthritis, and maybe the lingering effects of the head injury. He might truly be physically incapable of playing better. Clapton's appears to be mental, emotional, whatever. He seem entirely unmotivated to play at the high level he was at. But maybe that high level came with a cost we don't understand. His greatest peaks seemed to coincide with his greatest substance abuse. Clapton seems more at peace being the Perry Como of rock guitar. It doesn't do us much good, but what the hell.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:42

stonesrule

No, because Clapton still is a fantastic solo guitar player. But some of the rawness and tone is gone, imo.

Keith is as raunchy as he's always been, but his handicap prevents him from playing as much as he did in the past.

Both are still excellent at what they do, imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 27, 2014 11:01

DandelionPowderman

Both are still excellent at what they do, imo.

Yup, and still alive which in a way is a miracel of its own...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 27, 2014 13:25

This topic has become boring and unamusing just like its topic.

Date: June 27, 2014 13:28

TurkuStonesFan
This topic has become boring and unamusing just like its topic.

For some, yes. For others, no smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2014 14:49

this might interest some people here

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 27, 2014 14:57

TurkuStonesFan
GasLightStreet
Clapton is boring. Period. What, you want to hear the blues being played or want to hear blues played?

Listen to Hound Dog Taylor. Elmore James. RL Burnside. There's so many of 'em. Clapton is elevator music compared to actual blues players. He's a mathematician with guitar, they can't read or write but know how to play (I'm making a point; I don't really know). He's an excellent, fluid and perfect guitar player, they're messy, full of screwups and emotional.

He heard Robert Johnson and fell in love with blues and now he can play Robert Johnson better than Robert Johnson. With exception to one thing: any feeling at all.

A copy machine can churn out perfect reproductions of something boring.

That's what Clapton is. A boring copy machine and a white piece of paper that churns out the same boring shit.

Excellent post. Those that challenge you as to how many times you've heard Clapton live don't get it. I have no doubt that Clapton is a better technical player than so many others including myself and I am far from being a pro but I have a soul when I play.

Play what spoons?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 27, 2014 16:21

Extremely relevant news:

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 27, 2014 16:50

The same people that put down Clapton would probably ask for his autograph and tell him how great he is if they had a chance to meet him.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:04

I can not blame him at his age with odd ailments for tiring of touring. I do wonder, however, rather like with The Stones future, would he do a series of 'residencies?' For example : a run of shows for a week or two in a single city like London and New York? Fans would have to travel to him rather than Clapton having to travel to them.

He could announce a series of residencies world wide and fans could see where they were willing to go for an EC show.

Maybe a Billy Joel-like monthly appearance but in differently scheduled cities?

I would tavel to see him with Winwood or someone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 18:05 by deadegad.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 27, 2014 18:25

RockinJive
The same people that put down Clapton would probably ask for his autograph and tell him how great he is if they had a chance to meet him.

You would be surprised then.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2319
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home