Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
semi OT: Do you like when bands perform songs acoustically?
Date: September 24, 2014 07:03

its semi OT because the stones did an album like this. of course there are the generic titled "mtv unplugged" releases but also releases like:
the rolling stones- stripped
eagles- hell freezes over
heart- the road home
black label society- unblackened
page/plant- no quarter unledded
sammy hagar- lite roast (due out in october)
black crowes- croweology

do you enjoy these type of releases?

Re: semi OT: Do you like when bands perform songs acoustically?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 24, 2014 07:13

I don't like the unplugged/stripped thing. I saw Billy Idol live in 2002 and was so looking forward to Rebel Yell...and he and Steve Stevens did an acoustic version. Ugh. Even though it had its merits, I was still really annoyed.

Date: September 24, 2014 08:00

Title5Take1
I don't like the unplugged/stripped thing. I saw Billy Idol live in 2002 and was so looking forward to Rebel Yell...and he and Steve Stevens did an acoustic version. Ugh. Even though it had its merits, I was still really annoyed.

if it was a specific tour/show that was already announced as being acoustic would you mind?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 24, 2014 09:21

Hmm, not with bands like Metallica and AC/DC no....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 24, 2014 12:07

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 17:26 by vudicus.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 24, 2014 17:05

I think some of them are great - others not so much. Stripped is great as is Croweology.

Guess it really has to do with artist/song selection.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 24, 2014 17:32

For myself, I think the "environment" and "atmosphere" of the concert has a bit to do with my enjoyment of accoustic music in a concert setting.

When I saw the Black Crowes do a show that was half accoustic and half electric, I LOVED IT. But it was in a 2,000 seat theater not an arena or stadium. It was also well advertised that that's what they were doing. I have a feeling that if they had tried the same thing in an arena or a stadium, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Also, as "Come On" pointed out in their post, I think the band can make a difference.

Nice thread idea keefriffhard4life. Thanks for making me think this morning.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 24, 2014 17:38

Yeah, the acoustic element is part of it, but the setting is more critical. I'd kill to see the Stones do somewhat of a laid back, kind of sitting around in a circle, type show. There's so many songs in their back catalog that don't work in their usual live setting that would be great in that type of atmosphere. Some of the older 60s ballads where Mick sings in almost a whispery voice, along with some of the more jammy stuff like Hide Your Love would work great.

Date: September 24, 2014 17:39

Not a big fan of unplugged stuff but I was suprised at how good the Kiss (who I am not a huge fan of) unplugged special (MTV maybe?) was. Kiss even covered 2000 man, needless to say I was very impressed. The other unplugged performance I really liked was Nirvana with the Meat Puppets it is simply outstanding!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:01

NO , not if they are meant to be played electric. i think very few artist can pull it off going acoustic (bob dylan, neil young , bruce springsteen, john hiatt,lyle lovett)

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:03

LL Cool J for "MTV Unplugged"...

'Unplugged' was never was better before nor after.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:05

P.S.: Violent Femmes never did anything else, btw.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:16

80 to 90% of the time, I would say no (to bands or artists that perform originally electric songs acoustically).

...One that does work for me is Bruce's No Surrender.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 24, 2014 20:39

its good to be anywhere
Not a big fan of unplugged stuff but I was suprised at how good the Kiss (who I am not a huge fan of) unplugged special (MTV maybe?) was. Kiss even covered 2000 man, needless to say I was very impressed.

Musical taste is different... To me this one is a prime example of KISS` talentless musicality. Just amateurish strumming powercords on an acoustic guitar...I remember seeing this I was so glad being a Stones fan. What a difference.

Prime example of this unplugged series to me is like Clapton turned an electric number like Layla in an acoustic version which stands for itself. There a few others.

Tom

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 24, 2014 20:43

YES, absolute!

I would love to see a complete unplugged concert by The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 24, 2014 22:55

Yes, I like the Unplugged / Storyteller concept, and enjoy Eric Clapton's Unplugged album. I also like Dylan's Unplugged album from 1995, as I find it an underrated live album, and far better than his previous live album, i.e. Dylan & The Dead.

Dead Reckoning is also a great acoustic album, and predates Unplugged by about 10 years. I also like the Johnny Cash / Willie Nelson VH1 Storytellers album, but feel The Stones can flit between both unplugged and electric brilliantly.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 24, 2014 23:33

The whole MTV Unplugged thing that started in the 1990s. It was cool in the beginning but by the time I heard Clapton's unplugged Layla the 40th time I was getting very pissed off. One of the most irritating tunes ever, though I love the electric versions

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 24, 2014 23:57

Yes I loved it, when they do a real unplugged LIVE on stage with Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Bill, MickT and Charlie and some guest........and they should play a lot of country based songs..............

I just heard on the radio today that Barbra Streisand scored another number one record which spans 6 decades of number 1 records...... so the Stones can do better than that

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: September 25, 2014 01:11

As others have mentioned, the Clapton and Dylan "unplugged" albums are both excellent. I also like the Heart and Pretenders acoustic albums. The Page & Plant "unledded" album is quite lame though. I must say I found the Kiss MTV unplugged album to be surprisingly refreshing - I really enjoyed it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2014 01:27

Love it when songs are stripped down to their acoustic parts and played bare bones! I think the good songs really hold up under those conditions while the ones that rely on electric manipulation tend to fall apart.

As Come On points out, there are certain artists where it doesn't make as much sense such as AC/DC. But I always loved when the Stones did an acoustic set, loved Led Zep's acoustic performances and recordings, loved Nirvana's unplugged set and even thought Clapton's unplugged performance was great. Especially when it brings out another interpretation or arrangement of the tune such as what happened with Layla.

A great record producer once told me all electric guitars just want to be loud acoustic guitars or saxophones..... winking smiley peace

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 25, 2014 01:33

Best "unplugged" - 1976/Wings Over America acoustic part with "Bluebird", "I've Just Seen a Face", "Richard Cory", etc...

Worst "unplugged"- 1985/Dylan, Wood and Richards make fools of themselves at the end of Live Aid

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 25, 2014 01:46

Do you like when bands perform songs electrically?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-25 01:55 by shadooby.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 02:44

Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated was interesting for the Ronnie Wood contribution. Sort of live reunion for those two at the time, as I recall. But not one I would rate overall too highly. I do recall being impressed with Ronnie's chops on the TV airing.

Also, I think AC/DC unplugged would be interesting, and possibly very good!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2014 03:11

....lets go the other way ... Robert Johnson yeah love it all
but what if he coulda plugged something like 32-20 inta eeeelectricity .... Man that woulda been rock an roll in 1936 ..... YEAH

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: September 25, 2014 03:12

Neil Young can rock with acoustic. His Bridge School Benefits are almost entirely accoustic; The Who, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers are just a few examples from there. Neil doing Cortez The Killer with Pearl Jam was amazing a few years back.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 25, 2014 04:56

Rockman
but what if he coulda plugged something like 32-20 inta eeeelectricity .... Man that woulda been rock an roll in 1936 ..... YEAH

He actually could have plugged into something in 1936. I've got a 1936 Gibson EH150 the friggin SCREAMS when you plug a guitar into the vocal input and turn it up. It was designed for the matching Gibson Lap Steel but it ain't too particular about what you plug in.

Guitar amps were invented sometime in the early 30's and the early ones were great! Some of the designs are still somewhat copied in today's high end boutique tube amps.

Maybe someone like T-Bone Walker was rockin' electrified in the 1930's and I'll bet the guy Robert met at the crossroads had the best gear available at the time. smiling smiley peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2014 05:39

I'll bet the guy Robert met at the crossroads had the best gear available at the time.

....Haaa probably.... and I don't think Ike Zimmerman fave cemetery had any power points!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: September 25, 2014 06:34

i like it when the songs are arranged a little differently and when rare songs or covers are thrown in.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 11:47

Generally I don't really appreciate accoustic versions of songs that are supposed to played with electric guitars. BUT the Nirvana Unplugged was fantastic. And I really like the accoustic numbers on the Stripped album. And I like Clapton's Unplugged...

Date: September 25, 2014 11:52

Rockman

That would have been murder. Or like Keith said about John Lee:

"If you want heavy metal, listen to John Lee. That's heavy metal, that's armour smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home