Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: OT: Clapton - what happened?
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 25, 2014 13:02

People say Clapton is more enjoyable on stage when "challenged" by fellow top of the line musicians. Well: this is a bit old, but never tired of watching what happens when Clapton is "challenged" by some... how many? maybe 10 top of the line fellow musicians?

Enjoy:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 13:03 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 13:17

lickedlady1966
@Happy24
Saw him last night at Mannheim/ Germany. Eric went onstage at 20.55 and left about 22.35.
And: he is still playing superb in my opinion.
Cannot tell if he enjoys it or not - but we enjoyed the show!

Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed the show and I am sure I will tomorrow too.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 25, 2014 14:05

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
Well, I play Strat on lots of songs myself, but that suits me. I think Clapton's main problem has more to do with his amp and its settings.

The thick ES-sound back in the late 60s with Cream was fantastic.

Layla is one of my favourite albums, but it also loaded with Stratocasters smiling smiley

Even better (IMO) is Live At The Fillmore, which is a Strat through a pair of Dual Showman stacks - it sounds stunning. I think the change in Clapton's sound since then has a lot to do with playing technique as well as his gear. For sure, playing Les Pauls, SGs and ES-335s into overdriven Marshalls was very important to his tone, but it also had something to do with his pick attack and his vibrato. Loads of people have tried to emulate Clapton's Cream-era tone. Many come close to it, but don't nail it outright, because they focus on the gear and not on his technique. He used to use very wide vibratos and pick very hard. These days, he tends to pick much softer and without the kind of mathematical rhythmic sense he had in his early days, and his vibratos are less dramatic (although still very fluid and technically impeccable). So he'd sound different even if he was still using his Bluesbreakers setup.

thumbs up Spot on. That pick attack and vibrato. The Gibson sound. The Fender sound of the 70s was great but his best soloing was with Gibson. Even this crappy SB sounds better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2014 16:05

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
Redhotcarpet
Look I enjoy some of Claptons 70s songs, not that theyve aged well but that's alright. Some of his sleazy 70s songs, his guitar playing in the late 60s and mid/late 70s is good. And I understand why he was looked upon as a great guitarplayer in the 80s and 90s even if i despise the songs he recorded, the suits he wore, his hair, and that idiotic smile of his.

Sometimes he's good but in reality he is a very boring (white) guy (nothing wrong in that) with one foot in the autistic boyhood dream of noodling in front of an audience and being praised and payed to do that.

Keith was the same in many ways, a quiet shy little boy Berry who only knew and wanted one thing and that was how to play like Chuck Berry. Nothing wrong in that when you're a teen. Or maybe there is somthing wrong in that.

Enormous boyband fame, Brian, Anita, ALO, Mick, heroin and real artistic groundbreaking work and an open mind and lots of stealing changed Keith. Clapton changed too but since his fame was built on the idea of the great guitarslinger, he's stuck in that room.

He has to be a solo guitarist, that's what people pay him for. He should try something else.

Dulcimer perhaps? Harp?

C'mon I was serious! He could try to just play chords for two hours. A, D, B minor. Over and over. Like an artist.

Maybe playing the guitar with a paint brush then?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 25, 2014 17:58

DandelionPowderman
Happy24
DandelionPowderman
The DVD is great, imo, but I can't ignore the fact that Clapton's sound and tone isn't what it used to be.

Well, Strat in not SG (or LP), but I know you are very well aware of that. smiling smiley Or were you rather referring to his technique? I know that a lot of people complain about the Strat sound on the Cream tunes. It is different, but I personally like both.

Well, I play Strat on lots of songs myself, but that suits me. I think Clapton's main problem has more to do with his amp and its settings.

The thick ES-sound back in the late 60s with Cream was fantastic.

Layla is one of my favourite albums, but it also loaded with Stratocasters smiling smiley

Also live Cream in the 60's was played thru Marshall Amps.

Date: June 25, 2014 18:04

Yep, Marshall indeed.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 25, 2014 18:09

stonehearted
^ He did comment after the Cream shows what "hard work" it was being back in a trio, having to "stretch" himself again, and he did play more dynamically and with greater animated movement on stage, performing, as he was, with peers of equal caliber.

Playing with 'peers,' or musicans as good as or better makes a difference. Over the years I have read qoutes from various musicians who saw Cream in 67/68 and regarded them as the best band playing at that time. Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Jorma Kaukonnen, Jack Cassidy, etc.., all thought that The Cream were as good as it gets.

Date: June 25, 2014 18:24

I was a Cream Fanatic when I was 13 - 14 years old. It's what made me trade in my acoustic guitar for an electric one (a 3 pick-up Gagliano guitar). They were also my second concert - the farwell tour in October 1968 (1st was Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl).

I always referred to live Cream as a jam sandwich, each song was a 10 minute improvised jam sandwiched by a 2 minute song. ... Well not exactly, but you get the pointwinking smiley

Back then, all I wanted to do was to be able to play like Clapton.

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: June 26, 2014 07:34

Clapton is a true genuine talent & I wish him all the best performing @ his age, no matter what. grinning smiley

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 26, 2014 13:33

Wroclaw
People say Clapton is more enjoyable on stage when "challenged" by fellow top of the line musicians. Well: this is a bit old, but never tired of watching what happens when Clapton is "challenged" by some... how many? maybe 10 top of the line fellow musicians?

Enjoy:

That seems to be true. It is certainly true that Eric Clapton gets nothing from his interaction with the audience. Apart from a lot of money, of course...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 26, 2014 14:07

Audience interaction or spectacular showmanship has never been Clapton's thing, has it? He became huge by being a great guitarist and a blues expert, and Cream became huge because they played great together and their kind of hippie blues jams were really the thing back then. People loved to sit down and just look at them groove with closed eyes. They didn't really make a big effort being entertaining, apart from playing music all the time, dressing hip, dropping acid and cranking the Marshalls to ten, none of which they do today.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 26, 2014 17:21

Clapton is boring. Period. What, you want to hear the blues being played or want to hear blues played?

Listen to Hound Dog Taylor. Elmore James. RL Burnside. There's so many of 'em. Clapton is elevator music compared to actual blues players. He's a mathematician with guitar, they can't read or write but know how to play (I'm making a point; I don't really know). He's an excellent, fluid and perfect guitar player, they're messy, full of screwups and emotional.

He heard Robert Johnson and fell in love with blues and now he can play Robert Johnson better than Robert Johnson. With exception to one thing: any feeling at all.

A copy machine can churn out perfect reproductions of something boring.

That's what Clapton is. A boring copy machine and a white piece of paper that churns out the same boring shit.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 26, 2014 17:35

GasLight, must be nice to be an authority.

How many times have you seen and heard Clapton play?...Details would be helpful.

Feel free to share your own guitar expertise. Maybe you can convince us that you know what you're talking about.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:44

Stonesrule, all you need are your ears.

Do you need me to be the authority for you that Hootie And The Blowfish and The Eagles suck as well or can you figure that one out yourself?

Did you actually read what I said? It doesn't look like it. I don't need to share my guitar expertise and what I know I'm talking about because my guitar expertise has nothing to do with Clapton being boring. Neil Pert is a hell of a drummer but he's boring too.

You're confusing it. Boring does not mean they suck ie they are bad, incapable, etc. Clapton, as I stated, is an incredible guitar player. It's just that he's boring.

However, Barbara Streisand is a horrible singer. Do I need to be a female to be the authority on that?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 26, 2014 17:47

Could you also clarify if Barbara Streisand for a fact is both horrible and boring?

Date: June 26, 2014 17:48

You could have added that you indeed have played professionally, Skip winking smiley

Date: June 26, 2014 17:53

DandelionPowderman
You could have added that you indeed have played professionally, Skip winking smiley

Nah. That doesn't equate to anything when it comes to how someone plays.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:54

Svartmer
Could you also clarify if Barbara Streisand for a fact is both horrible and boring?

Yes.

Barbara Streisand is, for a fact, both horrible and boring.

Clarification verified.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:54

Don't hurt yourself laughing at that.

Date: June 26, 2014 17:55

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

I know...

Date: June 26, 2014 18:00

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

I know...

Maybe it should. Just this once?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:14

GasLightStreet
Clapton is boring. Period. What, you want to hear the blues being played or want to hear blues played?

Listen to Hound Dog Taylor. Elmore James. RL Burnside. There's so many of 'em. Clapton is elevator music compared to actual blues players. He's a mathematician with guitar, they can't read or write but know how to play (I'm making a point; I don't really know). He's an excellent, fluid and perfect guitar player, they're messy, full of screwups and emotional.

He heard Robert Johnson and fell in love with blues and now he can play Robert Johnson better than Robert Johnson. With exception to one thing: any feeling at all.

That's what Clapton is. A boring copy machine and a white piece of paper that churns out the same boring shit.
so who do you like that is still alive and well today ,that you think can play ? just curious ?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:16

GasLightStreet
Don't hurt yourself laughing at that.

I promise I won´t do that.

Date: June 26, 2014 18:22

TheGreek
GasLightStreet

so who do you like that is still alive and well today ,that you think can play ? just curious ?

What does that have to do with it? Nothing. Boring is boring, no matter how young or old.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:29

Just what we needed more of around here...Haters Who Are Also BORING.

Date: June 26, 2014 18:38

stonesrule
Just what we needed more of around here...Haters Who Are Also BORING.

Oh so I'm a "hater". That's so... old.

And as original as Mickscarey. Surprised you didn't spell it H8r.

At least you resemble the boring part.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:45

GasLightStreet
TheGreek
GasLightStreet

What does that have to do with it? Nothing. Boring is boring, no matter how young or old.

And there you have it folks. GasLightStreet is an expert on boring with little or no knowledge outside their field of expertise.

Any one want to bet that their next few posts will include an attack on me, a bit more of their cv and more writing which is of little or no use to anyone other than themself?

smileys with beer Here's to hoping that GLS proves me wrong... C'mon, surely you can contribute something worthwile to the rest of us as opposed to just yourself? eye rolling smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:51

GasLightStreet
TheGreek
GasLightStreet

when you are critical of others you should give an example of who you feel is better to make your argument .otherwise you come across as being negative just for the sport of it.

Date: June 26, 2014 19:06

OK.

Eric Clapton compared to Keith Richards. Even with Keith's downward slide in his capability of playing the past 10 years at least he's not boring. And he never has been. Keith is interested in feel, Eric is interested in being perfect.

I don't get what the big stinking deal is. Saying I'm an expert at what's boring is entertaining at best, yet devoid of anything logical. I'm not telling anyone that likes Clapton that they are an idiot or stupid or boring themselves. Clapton guested on Little Red Rooster in 1989 and the song, which was performed quite boringly by the Stones, completely lost what little integrity they gave it because he played 19 million notes a second.

A lot of people like bland things. It's safe. All the great bluesmen, they never had the critical acclaim or sales or attendance or popularity as someone as safe, bland and sugar coated as Clapton or Hootie or The Eagles.

Which, of course, is fine. Whatever. It's just silly to think of it as some grand interesting artistic force. Folgers coffee.

Date: June 26, 2014 19:16

When someone or something totally moves you to the point where you just want more, that's not boring (...to the person affected)cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home