Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Clapton - what happened?
Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: June 30, 2014 05:38

Stoneburst
TurkuStonesFan
Stoneburst
BILLPERKS
DAFTEST POST EVER.
CLAPTON DOESNT COMMAND THE GROSS THE STONES DO GENIUS.

You are by some distance the worst poster on this board

Could elaborate as to whom you are addressing by Screen Name?

Bill Perks
THANKS !

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 30, 2014 07:48

Eric Clapton learned in some devastating ways what harm dependency on drugs and booze can do. I knew Eric in some of his worst times and I never thought he'd make it through. He grew up the hard way and has helped SO many people since he got clean.

There's quite a lot more to Eric than being "boring." Save your money if you don't want to risk being "bored." Perhaps YOU will grow up one day.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2014 10:35

stonesrule
Eric Clapton learned in some devastating ways what harm dependency on drugs and booze can do. I knew Eric in some of his worst times and I never thought he'd make it through. He grew up the hard way and has helped SO many people since he got clean.

There's quite a lot more to Eric than being "boring." Save your money if you don't want to risk being "bored." Perhaps YOU will grow up one day.

Did grow up, still don't like being bored. No one is complaining about the personal Eric Clapton, just his lackluster attitude as a performer. He is tired of boring us, and we in turn are tired of being bored by him. It appears we have reached an agreement.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 30, 2014 17:44

Assume this is the Royal "We." YOU may be tired of being bored by him but many, many others who do not post on IORR are not at all tired of Clapton.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2014 00:32

stonesrule
Assume this is the Royal "We." YOU may be tired of being bored by him but many, many others who do not post on IORR are not at all tired of Clapton.

In the thankless pursuit of snarky humor, brevity is essential.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 1, 2014 22:48

I watched the YouTube clip of 'Old Love'..royal Albert hall '90.. his solo brought tears to my eyes ..

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 16, 2014 22:49

The latest from EC. A tribute to JJ Cale.

[music.yahoo.com]

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:06

Come on, he has been boring for what, 20 years?

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:25

I saw Eric three times in 3 years. With S.Winwood he was great at Royal Albert Hall. Two shows in Poland were all the same, even he was playing it with different bands. Paul Carrack is boring (altough How Long is good song) and Eric is tired and bored with playing. 1,5 h was his set at Life Festival in Poland couple weeks ago. It's a joke. I like Robert Johnson but 3/4 set with old blues is too much for me. The best moments are Derek And The Dominoes songs. Anyway Eric is like Dylan these days. Everybody knows it's boring but it's like let's see the legend. He didn't even give an autograph to my friend, altough they were alone in hotel lobby. I think it's unfair. He forgot that we're his employer. I always consider Eric as someone very cool but today he's not for me.
Anyway he did great music years ago.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:31

I don't think Eric Clapton is boring: I think he could do with a new producer. I bought Old Sock recently, and it sounds like a more mature version of There's One In Every Crowd.

I also like Eric's previous album, Clapton, as it has a good choice of songs. Back Home does nothing for me, but Pilgrim and Reptile are grossly underrated. However, from the recent live albums, i.e. the Winwood collaboration, the Cream reunion, the Crossroads gig, and the Wynton Marsalis concert, you'd find Eric still can cut it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 17, 2014 00:32

I don't think the relationship between artist and fan is employee/employer. Not since the Renaissance, anyway . . .

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 17, 2014 01:19

Autographs are nice, I suppose, but I never understood the attitude that artists "owed" fans autographs. I have had had several pleasant encounters with musical artists (Keith Richards, Elvis Costello, etc.) and never felt the need to get an autograph.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: July 17, 2014 10:49

71Tele it's ok but try walking in shoes of a fan. Giving an autograph for one fan is like 3 seconds, nothing special.It's a present for a lifetime sometimes after 20 or 30 years of being a hardcore fan, buying all the records, spending money for tickets, buses, hotels etc. I understand you can't do that for 400 fans everyday but one, come on. It only shows disrespect for a fan. I don't think the relationship between artist and fan is employee/employer neither but artist should remember that they're touring for audience.
If my friend would ask for an autograph during Eric vacation he could say no. It's his private time. While he's on a tour he could be more friendly for his fans.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:16

Aquamarine
I don't think the relationship between artist and fan is employee/employer. Not since the Renaissance, anyway . . .

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 17, 2014 20:22

More about his JJ Cale tribute album: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 17, 2014 20:58

Cristiano Radtke
More about his JJ Cale tribute album: [www.rollingstone.com]

Its been posted 6 lines up

Date: July 17, 2014 21:06

RockinJive
Its been posted 6 lines up

Sorry, I didn't noticed it was the same article. My bad.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 17, 2014 22:59

He quite frankly has been utterly boring for 20+ years.

Date: July 19, 2014 15:10

Here's a mini documentary about the JJ Cale tribute.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: July 19, 2014 16:16

71Tele
Autographs are nice, I suppose, but I never understood the attitude that artists "owed" fans autographs. I have had had several pleasant encounters with musical artists (Keith Richards, Elvis Costello, etc.) and never felt the need to get an autograph.

But you have the photograph of you and Keith. That's your memory. Others might prefer autographs, who knows? smiling smiley

Posted by: huricane ()
Date: July 19, 2014 23:44

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 20, 2014 12:00

DandelionPowderman
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
Palace Revolution 2000
Clapton has always been an odd name in my own personal music world. Since the 80's the one word that I have akways assiociated with him is "Boring". And I like Clapton. he is a phenomenal guitarist. His left hand is beautifulk to watch on the fretboard. Just the fingers alone;( sort of like Jeff Beck's right ANd left hand.) But his stage persona is a sleeper. His attitude and interviews about his OWN music are also boring. far back as that great film of him and his band on the train in Europe in 70's. The only bad thing in that film is he. he does have a dark side; maybe not dark, but selfish, cranky; evil, maybe? the drunk rants on stage;
Strangely enough - he makes a very good interview when talking about history or someone else. And some of his most inspired playing abd speaking was the whole 'Concert for George".
But when he did those 80's albums; he even had Phil Collins with him; and then the sleep inducing, what was it? 24 Night? and then "Old Sock". OLD SOCK?!!??

Like others here said: he cant make more dough touring because his shows arent exciting enough where he can charge hundreds of dollars per ticket.
I wonder what odd ailments he means.

The thing is, he is expensive! I had to pay $400 for two tickets half-way up in the arena, where other shows I had seen around that time - RHCP, Cure, GNR - cost half that, for better seats.

He is a bigger act than the other bands you mentioned.

Hey Mr Powderman! So are the RS, but they put energy into their performance and provide some exciting visuals. They want you to enjoy the show, because it IS a show. EC doesn't give a toss. If it had been a movie, I's have asked for a refund.

I can sympathise with your attitude on the show-part smiling smiley

Then again, Clapton's shows have always been pretty laidback and have never really put priority on the show or the visuals. Maybe he expects his fans to know this?

Yes, and I did know that there would be no flashy stage show. But somehow when that conflated with his lack of involvement with the audience - no eye contact, no smiling, no dialogue, and no expression of thanks - it made for rather a negative experience. Pure arrogance, or has been said, utter boredom.

I had seen the Cure about the same time. And they weren't dressed up, there were no visuals to speak of, but Robert Smith's engagement with the audience in the pit made the show unforgettable. I was only watching it with binoculars, so it wasn't as if it was a personal experience, but it was fantastic to see this performer, who had been on the scene for over 30 years, taking so much pleasure in performing. And clearly he valued the audience for making it possible.

And Axl in GnR was a wild man! It's true he was like two hours late, but Sebastian Bach played on and on and were fantastic. There were indoor fireworks, and between that and Axl's insane performance with Chris Cornell, I thought they were going to blow the roof off.

Edited to add - the Clapton tickets cost twice what the others were, and it was insulting that there were no visuals to enjoy, apart from watching EC's guitar playing on the screen. He charged double and gave (less than) half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-20 13:30 by Bliss.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 20, 2014 12:24

I not crazy about most of Clapton's music after Cream but I have always adored JJ Cale and I find Clapton's loyalty to Cale impressive. He has been really good friend to Cale, I don't think that's very common in this business.

Date: July 20, 2014 12:52

Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
Bliss
Palace Revolution 2000
Clapton has always been an odd name in my own personal music world. Since the 80's the one word that I have akways assiociated with him is "Boring". And I like Clapton. he is a phenomenal guitarist. His left hand is beautifulk to watch on the fretboard. Just the fingers alone;( sort of like Jeff Beck's right ANd left hand.) But his stage persona is a sleeper. His attitude and interviews about his OWN music are also boring. far back as that great film of him and his band on the train in Europe in 70's. The only bad thing in that film is he. he does have a dark side; maybe not dark, but selfish, cranky; evil, maybe? the drunk rants on stage;
Strangely enough - he makes a very good interview when talking about history or someone else. And some of his most inspired playing abd speaking was the whole 'Concert for George".
But when he did those 80's albums; he even had Phil Collins with him; and then the sleep inducing, what was it? 24 Night? and then "Old Sock". OLD SOCK?!!??

Like others here said: he cant make more dough touring because his shows arent exciting enough where he can charge hundreds of dollars per ticket.
I wonder what odd ailments he means.

The thing is, he is expensive! I had to pay $400 for two tickets half-way up in the arena, where other shows I had seen around that time - RHCP, Cure, GNR - cost half that, for better seats.

He is a bigger act than the other bands you mentioned.

Hey Mr Powderman! So are the RS, but they put energy into their performance and provide some exciting visuals. They want you to enjoy the show, because it IS a show. EC doesn't give a toss. If it had been a movie, I's have asked for a refund.

I can sympathise with your attitude on the show-part smiling smiley

Then again, Clapton's shows have always been pretty laidback and have never really put priority on the show or the visuals. Maybe he expects his fans to know this?

Yes, and I did know that there would be no flashy stage show. But somehow when that conflated with his lack of involvement with the audience - no eye contact, no smiling, no dialogue, and no expression of thanks - it made for rather a negative experience. Pure arrogance, or has been said, utter boredom.

I had seen the Cure about the same time. And they weren't dressed up, there were no visuals to speak of, but Robert Smith's engagement with the audience in the pit made the show unforgettable. I was only watching it with binoculars, so it wasn't as if it was a personal experience, but it was fantastic to see this performer, who had been on the scene for over 30 years, taking so much pleasure in performing. And clearly he valued the audience for making it possible.

And Axl in GnR was a wild man! It's true he was like two hours late, but Sebastian Bach played on and on and were fantastic. There were indoor fireworks, and between that and Axl's insane performance with Chris Cornell, I thought they were going to blow the roof off.

I don't disagree. But we also have bands like Pink Floyd, which people love entirely for the musical experience in concert.

Maybe that is a better comparison?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 20, 2014 13:21

RoughJusticeOnYa
Aquamarine

thumbs up

Rubbish. A pure romantic viewpoint. Even some artists may believe that their wealth and fame fell from the sky like a godlike present. But in the cold light of the day,once you're a professional musician it's the fans and the fans only who pay the artists income and lifestyle. Noone else.

The problem for some artists is that they just can't respect individual fans,for them it's the "masses" that count, the masses that create the enormous amount of money the artists earn with their individually (relatively) small financial contribution.

Pissing off one fan does not piss off the masses, and that's why Clapton and others can show disrespect for individual fans without any consequences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-20 18:13 by alimente.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 20, 2014 13:25

>> I don't disagree. But we also have bands like Pink Floyd, which people love entirely for the musical experience in concert.

What are they like?

Date: July 20, 2014 14:59

Bliss
>> I don't disagree. But we also have bands like Pink Floyd, which people love entirely for the musical experience in concert.

What are they like?

The one show I attended in 1988 was excellent. However, Mickey Mouse could have been on that stage without altering the experience. It was solely about the music.

And there was a flying pig.. smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 21, 2014 07:15

71Tele

Yeah who needs an autograph when you've already talked them into a photograph standing next to ya.....

Clapton definately is a cliche (read: boring) player most of the time but he has moved me enough with his occasional bouts of genius to get my respect.

His recent performances as a guest for Jeff Beck have been awesome. JB seems to push him beyond his normal comfort zone with great results. If your sharing the stage with Mr. Beck these days you'd better pull out yer best stuff... smiling smiley peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-21 07:24 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: July 21, 2014 18:12

huricane

I read this article yesterday. It's not the first time I've heard that he was calling it quits. After reading all of these posts, boring is not a word that I would ever use to describe him. Definitely has a laid-back style and who knows for sure what happened at his Glasgow show. I think the man is just tired; no longer has the fire in his belly..for touring and performing that is. It's terribly difficult and he's been doing this for over 50 years. He's 69 years old...most people his age and younger have retired already. Maybe he just wants to kick back and help raise his young family. Can't blame him. I'm sure he'll perform (as a guest) or write music again. Just needs to be refreshed and inspired. I doubt we've heard the last of him, but most likely this is the end of the Crossroads Guitar Festivals,though.sad smiley

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 21, 2014 19:45

He's just too lazy to work that's all. Old age will do that to you, or to quote bluesman Lazy Lester, "I'm not tired I'm just lazy."

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home