Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: Berlin Waldbühne 10 June 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: alexs ()
Date: June 11, 2014 01:52

Just came home, tired but happy!

Great show, incredible Rambler, waiting for the videos to show up! Best version of JJF I heard live, great show, great location. Something went wrong with BS, cant really tell what it was. Waiting on a friend -> good one. SMU -> everythings fine, according to my ears smiling smiley

Cheerio

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 11, 2014 01:53

OK, what follows doesn’t pretend to be a review...
It sounded to me a fantastic show, my 54th, but again this is first and foremost a question of personal feeling, location, mood, etc. By comparison, in Oslo, I could not move because I was next to guys who would not support people moving an arm, so I felt like a statue in Telenor Arena.
In Berlin, I came from Paris with seats on the Ronnie side, E section, limited view, but quickly managed to get in the pit. I mean, there was no barrier or tough controls.
And people were so cool, having such a good time, and the security also was so cool. Well, for a guy like me who can get easily stressed in a crowd, this was really friendly.
As for the show, first time in the pit – I went there by accident – and I could discover and hear some details I had never hear before. SMU started with maybe some Keith’s screw up. Darryl was very loud, in fact, I would hear him more than the guitars during the first songs.I never had really noticed before his funky bass line on SMU, he is really locked with Charlie, as some here would say, so different feel from Bill Wyman. Doesn’t mean I prefer Darryl, but he is excellent.
As for the guitars, it was so noisy and interlaced it is quite difficult to say who is playing what at some times. Big wall of sound. But i don’t care, I like the big sound (earplug are a MUST if you are in the pit)
Waiting on a Friend was refreshing, first time live for me since 1982
Out of control, nice surprise – so much it grooves it the middle of the song/
You got the silver is for now my favourite song of the tour, as for the quality of the rendering
SFTD – it is a bush fire....

Rolling Stones -:Berlin, 10 June 2014
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:00

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:08

I am satisfied! Maybe it wasn't the club show we had been waiting for, but good nonetheless if not great. Agreed that SMU started in that funny way again but to me it was not as glaring as in HP1.

Rambler was long, Mick had To try to get the guitarists to slow down on several occasions!

They still need to work on Can't Be Seen. Trouble ending it? Getting better though. YGTS Went really well on the other hand, and I also liked Keith's SFTD solo.

Was great to meet some of the iorr people,namely Beast, with_ssoul, paulywaul, Gazza and bv. It was a very hot day but I kept the fluid and the sun cream coming.

On to Paris! Sorry to cut it short but I need my beauty sleep. Seeing the David Bowie exhibition tomorrow.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:08

Another great concert!!! What a cool venue, man I'd love for it to be my local place to see bands. Just wow.

The guys looked like they were having fun.

WOAF, CBS, GS, JJF, GOMC were highlites for me.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:09

open-g
Hope this plays for you outside Germany:

[mediathek.rbb-online.de]

Thanks for the link, works in France!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:13

Hi guys, sharing a few quick observations after getting back to my hotel.
- Waldbuhne is an amazing place, I have a soft spot for this venue (sound & ambience)
- show was quite long, over 2hours as they extended Rambler and few other songs
- Keith messed up several usual bits but was excellent during his set and had few highlights during the night. IORR was fun as Keith started playing sooner than Mick wanted as he was about to address the crowd in German and was interrupted, visibly rolled his eyes :-)
- Charlie's moment at intro was hilarious, I guess Mick did it on purpose, as a joke
- Ronnie's in great shape, shining throughout the show
- Mick is on fire, he basically drives the concert forward. Amazing energy, top entertainer, hats off!

Of course, would have appreciated a bit more rarities in setlist (but even at my 10th show I got 2 new ones, not bad ;-), but audience was just really into warhorses and to be honest, the hard core crowd is not as wild as it used to be let's say 10, 20 years ago. The average age went up considerably and it shows...

Last but not least - I have spent 4 previous days at Rock im Park festival, with many big names (Metallica, Linkin Park, Queens of the Stone Age, NIN, Maiden, Kings of Leon, etc..) and Stones are still league of their own - great songs, amazing sound, superb production, unbelievable crowd engagement,... wow. I am super happy they're still touring!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:15 by ferda.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:16

PLEASE, PLEASE keep Out of Control in the set for Australia!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Oh, and Slipping Away with MT would be just fine too thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:34 by OneHit.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:18

gotdablouse
open-g

thanks works in US. great link thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:18

OneHit
PLEASE, PLEASE keep Out of Control in the set for Australia!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Hopeully they do, they are playing it great.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:20

A brief review:

Got to the venue around midday, and there was a small number of people at the main entrance to the Waldebuhne, which is directly opposite the main entrance to the Olympic Stadium. Staked out a place in one of the lines in front of what was obviously going to be an actual entrance gate come 17:00, and promptly stretched out and fell fast asleep under a cloudless sky for probably most of the afternoon !! Beautiful hot day in Berlin, blue sky and probably mid 30's C.

My companions for the dash for a place on the rail on Keith's side were the lady sssoul and Beast. Doors opened at 17:00 on the dot, and after a quick sprint down some stone steps with about a 45 degree rake (f**k me those steps are steep) - all three of us were on the rail about 2m down from the corner "right angle" where the front of stage rail becomes the catwalk rail. A perfect spot, albeit that the stage was quite high and when Ronnie was fully on his side - he was obscured from our view. Never mind ....... we had Mick & Keith !!

The only, and I would stress ONLY - surprise of the setlist was Waiting On A Friend. A fabulous rendition of this song mind you.

I'm not going to bother with a song by song review, there's no point. What I will say is that to get the most out of this band when you see them live, you have to be close. You have to have the benefit of that truly glorious sound that you get when you're within those first few crucial metres back from the stage, together with the visuals. That means SEEING them, the whites of their eyes, the evil grins, the nods and winks and subtle nuances that with the best will in the world, the cameras do not always capture and hence if you're relying on the screen(s) ................... you of course MISS !!

Keith was in outstanding form tonight. Do I need to try and put a definition on what "Keith on form" actually means ? Don't think so. Even a song I'm tiring of (IORR) had me spellbound, he was on such good form. Just great "raunchy" rhythm playing .............

All in all, probably THE best venue I've ever set foot in, especially on a balmy summer's night. Pretty, accessible, awesome views for 95% of an audience, a natural amphitheatre in a secluded forest setting. Quite stunning actually.

You would have been happy as a pig in s**t literally ANYWHERE in that pit, it was tiny. I moved to the low (50cm high) enclosure wall delineating the pit for the last song, Satisfaction. I only did it because with the benefit of having spent the whole show up to that point on the catwalk rail about 2m back from the stage, I just wanted to view the spectacle from a little further away. It was fantastic. If you'd spent the whole show there, you'd have been truly delighted.

For those people that were doing only ONE show on this European tour, if the Waldebuhne was IT and you were in the pit or perhaps the first block of tiered seats, then you've probably just been at the ultimate Stones show of the lot.

It was one hell of a venue and one hell of a show.

Moving on .............. Paris next, followed by Vienna. See y'all !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:21 by paulywaul.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:21

@ferda - Nice review, thanks for sharing and for reminding us that the Stones are indeed in a league of their own...easy to take it for granted when you spend time on IORR.

Found a few nice pics here : [www.maz-online.de]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:22 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:29

BTW, a bit OT - a lot celebrities attended, including Aerosmith (saw Steven and Tom)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:31

Thank you Cristiano for posting all those great pics. :-)

After reading all this thread I am now too tired to write a review, and in any case most of my thoughts have already been expressed by others, so just count me as another very satisfied customer! Jagger in particular was in great form, I loved the setlist (so there!), and I loved the camaraderie on the stage (and in the crowd). Great job, guys, it's ridiculous that you should still be this good!thumbs up. (Oh, and I enjoyed meeting several fellow iorrians, too.)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:36

A Fan filming a clip of It's Only Rock'n'Roll from the local TV bus while the Stones are playing Midnight Rambler live in the background.

that's what you get to do when you can't score a ticket. bummer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:38 by open-g.

Caption this:
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:45

bye bye johnny

[www.bild.de]

Awesome pic!
I bet Keith is making something up about the "Glockenturm" (bells tower), which lurks just over the tree tops and has a camera on top, overviewing the Waldbühne stage.

perhaps a "Caption this:" for another thread?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:52

Photos and reports here:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Berlin Waldbühne, 10 June 2014 - The Rolling Stones live...
Date: June 11, 2014 03:17

Hi together,

wow, today my family and me joined to a fantastic stones-show>grinning smiley<!!! I'm still speechless and also very, very happy with the setlist!!! My personal highlight was WOAF, had tears in my eyes, so nice to hear it at this amazing location spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. So I look foreward to see the "boys" and many of you again at Esprit Arena in Duesseldorf (my 25th stones-show since 1995, yipieeeeh) smileys with beer!!!

Regards + good night
Daniel

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 11, 2014 03:42

SharksWillCry
Keith's DIP joints are visibly better. I noticed that in an earlier picture as well. Hopefully it is translating into his playing.

I have arthritic fingers similar to Keith's and I hate to tell you, they don't ever get better. Even though I have no clue how to play a guitar I can't even begin to imagine how he manages to place his fingers on the correct strings!!! For that reason I don't complain when he hits the wrong notes here and there, it's a miracle that he's playing at all. I totally understand that he has problems playing extended solos like the Sympathy one or even the GS intro, it's really hard when your fingers aren't thin and straight anymore. Bless his heart he's still up there at all!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 11, 2014 03:44

The Joker
as for the quality of the rendering
SFTD – it is a bush fire....

That can be taken two ways...which way do you mean it?

Thanks for the review!

Date: June 11, 2014 04:25

Date: June 11, 2014 04:26

Date: June 11, 2014 04:28

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 11, 2014 04:39

"I'm not going to bother with a song by song review, there's no point. What I will say is that to get the most out of this band when you see them live, you have to be close. You have to have the benefit of that truly glorious sound that you get when you're within those first few crucial metres back from the stage, together with the visuals. That means SEEING them, the whites of their eyes, the evil grins, the nods and winks and subtle nuances that with the best will in the world, the cameras do not always capture and hence if you're relying on the screen(s) ................... you of course MISS !!"

Paulywaul, I couldn't agree with you more on the above! You do tend to get spoiled when you have been close like that but to me it just makes all the difference in the world, and I don't mean to sound like a snob here! Sadly, to me it also means less traveling to see the Stones around the world than I used to be able to but with the exorbitant ticket prices since the 50 and Counting tour started I have no choice.

I would have loved to have been at this show, Germany is my home country and this beautiful venue would have been a truly amazing place to see the Stones in Europe.

Btw, if the Stones ever play Hollywood Bowl in L.A. again try to make the show, except for the standing only Innenraum it's pretty much the same venue as Waldbuehne!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 04:44 by Thru and Thru.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 11, 2014 05:14

gotdablouse
open-g

Works in California smiling smiley

Posted by: TurkuStonesFan ()
Date: June 11, 2014 05:37

Is there any news about a tour DVD featuring this Berlin show?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 11, 2014 05:44

Thru and Thru
"I'm not going to bother with a song by song review, there's no point. What I will say is that to get the most out of this band when you see them live, you have to be close. You have to have the benefit of that truly glorious sound that you get when you're within those first few crucial metres back from the stage, together with the visuals. That means SEEING them, the whites of their eyes, the evil grins, the nods and winks and subtle nuances that with the best will in the world, the cameras do not always capture and hence if you're relying on the screen(s) ................... you of course MISS !!"

Paulywaul, I couldn't agree with you more on the above! You do tend to get spoiled when you have been close like that but to me it just makes all the difference in the world, and I don't mean to sound like a snob here! Sadly, to me it also means less traveling to see the Stones around the world than I used to be able to but with the exorbitant ticket prices since the 50 and Counting tour started I have no choice.

I would have loved to have been at this show, Germany is my home country and this beautiful venue would have been a truly amazing place to see the Stones in Europe.

Btw, if the Stones ever play Hollywood Bowl in L.A. again try to make the show, except for the standing only Innenraum it's pretty much the same venue as Waldbuehne!

My sentiments exactly! I'm in SF

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 11, 2014 06:02

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 11, 2014 06:31

DoomandGloom

Very nice. I had a hard time telling from the video, who handled the sax solo. Bobby or Tim?

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 11, 2014 06:57

jazzbass
Very nice. I had a hard time telling from the video, who handled the sax solo. Bobby or Tim?

It looks like Tim at 4:12.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home