Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New "supergroup": The Empty Hearts
Date: May 9, 2014 10:27

"The Cars' Elliot Easton, Blondie drummer Clem Burke, Romantics lead singer Wally Palmar and Chesterfield Kings bassist Andy Babiuk have formed the Empty Hearts, enlisting the assistance of Faces pianist Ian McLagan and Ramones producer-engineer Ed Stasium on their debut album. Savoy Label Group's 429 Records will release "The Empty Hearts" on Aug. 5, which will be followed by an October-November tour of the U.S."

Check it out: [www.billboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 18:48 by bv.

Re: New "supergroup": The Empty Hearts
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:28

Clem Burke Wally Palmar Andy Babiuk... never heard of them!
That's cultural relativism for you! >grinning smiley<

Date: May 9, 2014 11:40

Oh, oops. I just posted about them in the Gear Book thread.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:56

Okay, I understand that Clapton /Bruce/Baker was a supergroup, but with all due respect I think that it should not be overused (eventhough it meets the criteria set in wiki: [en.wikipedia.org] )

Date: May 9, 2014 12:23

dcba

!!

Date: May 9, 2014 12:37

Happy24
Okay, I understand that Clapton /Bruce/Baker was a supergroup, but with all due respect I think that it should not be overused (eventhough it meets the criteria set in wiki: [en.wikipedia.org] )

Hence these: " " smiling smiley

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 9, 2014 13:24

Happy24
Okay, I understand that Clapton /Bruce/Baker was a supergroup, but with all due respect I think that it should not be overused
SuperHeavy...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 9, 2014 13:54

Supergroup ?????

You gotta be kiddin'. eye rolling smiley

Date: May 9, 2014 13:58

I took it for granted that everybody were familiar with quotation marks - obviously not grinning smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 9, 2014 14:03

Question mark would make it clear you are kiddin' DP, but quotes mean a quote................... full stop.
At least to my eyes. winking smiley

Date: May 9, 2014 14:20

crawdaddy
Question mark would make it clear you are kiddin' DP, but quotes mean a quote................... full stop.
At least to my eyes. winking smiley

Then again, I didn't write the article, merely quoting winking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 14:25

The quotation marks DP put there are clear enough for me to understand his point of view. The article calls it a supergroup without the marks with all seriousness though. I think the title of the thread is clear and right :-)

Anyway, I saw Wally Palmar as a part of Ringo's "All Starr Band." I haven't heard about him before (maybe my mistake) and I found his solo spot the weakest point of the show, his songs somehow didn't fit into the show. Ringo's show was very good in overall, much better than I expected and I really enjoyed it, Ringo is actually a good frontman which I didn't expect. But it is more than inappropriate to call his band "All Star(r)" these days. I don't think that a single person in the audience came to hear those other "stars". I guess the original lineup featuring Billy Preston, Nils Lofgren, Clarence Clemons, Levon Helm...deserved the name, but now it is only a nice pun.

And I think it is just the same with the "supergroup" title in this case. Honestly, it didn't work for me even in the case of Superheavy and that featured some stars, including arguably the brightest one. Still it was no way a supergroup (for me).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 14:31 by Happy24.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 9, 2014 15:30

The Empty Hearts are like The Empty Lives.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 9, 2014 16:20

how about 'new group' with 80s rockers.

Re: OT: New "supergroup": The Empty Hearts
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 9, 2014 20:36

The first time I heard the word "supergroup" was for an article about Blind Faith back in 1969.

I wouldn't call Empty Hearts a supergroup. IMHO, the Waddy Wachtel Band is far more of a supergroup than these guys.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 9, 2014 20:57

Sort of a supergroup, those are some good musicians.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 9, 2014 21:06

Elliot Easton is a super guitarist, I hope this group turns out some good new tunes, the current popular music coming out is really starting to depress me. Musicianship and songwriting seem to be rare commodities in the "pop" world. peace

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 9, 2014 23:23

Tough crowd. Also thick.

Date: May 9, 2014 23:33

Wry Cooter
Tough crowd. Also thick.

....well, maybe. But to me, supergroup implies fame more than how good of a musician one is.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 9, 2014 23:35

No 1 supergroup
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 9, 2014 23:44

DoctorFreddie
No 1 supergroup
[www.youtube.com]

...and I thought Blind Faith was the world's shortest lived band that featured Clapton grinning smiley

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 9, 2014 23:45

Green Lantern on Bass, Flash on Guitar, Robin on Drums, Aquaman singing under water.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:02

dcba

You've never heard of Clem Burke? One of the greatest drummers in rock 'n' roll, has played with many bands (Ramones for about three shows as Elvis Ramone), most famously Blondie (still).

Date: May 10, 2014 00:09

andrewm
dcba

You've never heard of Clem Burke? One of the greatest drummers in rock 'n' roll, has played with many bands (Ramones for about three shows as Elvis Ramone), most famously Blondie (still).

hummmm...I've seen Blondie plenty of times over the years...with the Stones, with the Beach Boys, with Waddy Wachtel and on his own, but never with Clem Burke.

(my 5,600th post)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2014 01:25

Solomon Burke's original idea in 1966 of The Soul Clan would have ta be
one of theeeee first dreams of a so called super-group Solomon Burke...Otis Redding ...Joe Tex...Wilson Pickett....Don Covay....

But then with Redding's death and Pickett moving on and both being replaced
by Arthur Conley and Ben.E.King they only managed to release one single in 1968 Soul Meeting/That's How It Feels as the Soul Clan .....

In 1969 an album was released with the two Soul Clan tracks plus separate recordings from all the individual artists ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: May 10, 2014 02:32

andrewm
dcba

Clem's one of my favourite drummers too. Saw the Hugh Cornwell/Glen Matlock show awhile back at the EchoPlex and Clem played drums for BOTH sets. He was awesome. This will be a 'must see' show for me. Can't wait.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Mac with members of Blondie and the Cars
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 31, 2014 22:16

Re: Mac with members of Blondie and the Cars
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:06

If the rest of the recordings are as good as this one I'll be buying it for sure.

Was their band name inspired by this?:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home