Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Its Only Rock N Roll is the WORST LIVE STONES song ever!
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 2, 2014 18:14

I loved the album It's Only Rock & Roll when it came out and still do-Great Rocker with some nasty lyrics, I do hope it will be played At Werchtergrinning smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 2, 2014 18:28

I can't believe anyone is complaining about this song but not JJF or Brown Sugar which they can't perform well at all.

Date: June 2, 2014 18:46

I feel as though "Jumping Jack Flash" is one of the few songs that they actually should play almost all of the time.

I could live without "Brown Sugar" at this point but,unlike "IORR",I do believe that people MAY be upset if it is not played. I'm not sure because it has been played at ALL 14 of the concerts which I attended.

"IORR" was not played on September 20th,2006 .... and nobody seemed to notice or at least they weren't complaining about it. The same goes for "Tumbling Dice" in Albany 2005. (Which,to me,was a curious choice of places not to play Tumbling Dice.)

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 2, 2014 18:58

Winning Ugly VXII
I feel as though "Jumping Jack Flash" is one of the few songs that they actually should play almost all of the time.

I could live without "Brown Sugar" at this point but,unlike "IORR",I do believe that people MAY be upset if it is not played. I'm not sure because it has been played at ALL 14 of the concerts which I attended.

I agree 100%. The songs I've heard every time are: Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Start Me Up and Jumping Jack Flash. I think these are the "must" plays.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 2, 2014 19:04

SWAYZ
Since the Vegas era began it's worse than Miss You IMHO. I hate the Chuck Berry intro, the flat vocals by Mick, and the overall delviery. It's a total snoozer.
I have yet to hear a decent version from '89 onward.
At leaste when Mick was on SNL a few years back he tried to sing it the original way.

No. Not even close. Piss You and Oh No Not You Again are the "Winners"

Date: June 2, 2014 21:14

I forgot to mention the '70's live versions. I don't really like them either.

The 'Love You Live' version is alright but,I think that I remember Detroit '75 being a little bit better performance.

I still prefer some of the b-stage performances on the Bridges Tour and Licks Tour versions as well as early 2005 tour versions to the '70's renditions.

The promo video version is solid as an alternative to the album track.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:02

fahthree ()

Date: June 2, 2014 18:58

Quote:
Winning Ugly VXII

Quote: I could live without "Brown Sugar" at this point but,unlike "IORR",I do believe that people MAY be upset if it is not played. I'm not sure because it has been played at ALL 14 of the concerts which I attended.

Quote: I agree 100%. The songs I've heard every time are: Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Start Me Up and Jumping Jack Flash. I think these are the "must" plays.

They simply have to play ALL of these songs IMO...

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:05

oh and of course - defo - IORR...

luv it !

Star

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:38

IORR. Great song.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 3, 2014 05:07

treaclefingers
dcba
Funny that most of you hate it : it's one of the songs that most evolved over the years (along wit SFTD) : change of key, change of tempo, a constantly revamped intro.
No really I don't understand the whining here...

could be because of the key and tempo changes, and of course the constantly revamped intro.

Kinda what I thought, a series of wrong turns. Dig the LYL version. Inexplicable that THIS is the song they tinker with, but then give us "like studio" versions of SFTD & YCAGWYW, which used to be hot live.................beffudling.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 08:42

On Love you Live was one of the greatest r'n'r' songs i ever heard. A lot of energy, dirty.... Now it is a lot different, not one of the concert highlights anymore in my opinion

Date: June 3, 2014 09:59

stanlove
I can't believe anyone is complaining about this song but not JJF or Brown Sugar which they can't perform well at all.

When did they not perform JJF or BS well?? They're the homerun songs that always work confused smiley

And, no, I'm not talking about if there are a couple of bum notes in them. It's the drive and the energy they always have when they play those songs that make them so good on stage.

Date: June 3, 2014 18:22

could be because of the key and tempo changes, and of course the constantly revamped intro.

Thrylan
Kinda what I thought, a series of wrong turns. Dig the LYL version. Inexplicable that THIS is the song they tinker with, but then give us "like studio" versions of SFTD & YCAGWYW, which used to be hot live.................beffudling.

I agree. IF they insist on playing both "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" and "Sympathy for the Devil" at almost every show,"IORR" should be in more of a studio version - like arrangement and "Sympathy" should be played in a 1970 tour style arrangement (if that is still possible) .

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" is not too shabby in a 2012 / 2013 / 2014 style arrangement. Nothing will match some of the '72 or '73 versions of that song but,it does not stand out as a low point the way that (unfortunately) "Sympathy" and "IORR" now do.

Maybe,if they are still going after this tour,they can try a '72 - '76 style "YCAGWYW" ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 18:35 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Re: Its Only Rock N Roll - the song
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:36

In 1990 there was some music show in the US that showed the Stones playing this song in Europe or somewhere on the Urban Jungle tour that was actually pretty good.

No matter. For years live it's strictly been the Stones imitating the Stones lazily - and poorly - imitating Chuck Berry which equates to Stones by the numbers BORRRRRRRING. There's no meaning to it like there was in the 1970s. The version on LOVE YOU LIVE is on fire. The studio version, of course, is not actually The Rolling Stones but it has a laid back heavy swagger to it.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:46

SWAYZ
Since the Vegas era began it's worse than Miss You IMHO. I hate the Chuck Berry intro, the flat vocals by Mick, and the overall delviery. It's a total snoozer.
I have yet to hear a decent version from '89 onward.
At leaste when Mick was on SNL a few years back he tried to sing it the original way.

Wrong. Great in Jersey/Prudential. There is a reason Miss You is called Piss You

Date: June 3, 2014 20:06

GasLightStreet
In 1990 there was some music show in the US that showed the Stones playing this song in Europe or somewhere on the Urban Jungle tour that was actually pretty good.

May 26th,1990 in Frankfurt was the performance.

According to the Rocks Off site :

" Broadcast on 'International Rock Awards' ABC- TV 6.6.90 & worldwide " .

Still not my favorite version. Personally,like I said before,I prefer the Bridges and Licks b-stage versions (some of them anyway) and performances from early on in the 2005 A.B.B. tour. It's a matter of taste,I suppose.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 21:49

Who was it that said to Lennon?: Your songs are not about anything. I love you. You love me. You love him, etc. Lennon justifiably took that comment as an insult and a challenge and the fate of The Beatles was sealed. Lennon's songwriting would turn more and more inward until the band was no longer an inspiration or needed. His formula was at once simple and daunting. "Tell the truth, make it rhyme and give it a back beat." It was the tell the truth part that set him apart from other artists. John could write a crap song, but no one accused him of BSing his fans or himself. From the POB to Beautiful Boy to Watching The Wheels he was an artist of the highest order. He had the talent to give of himself. At his best he and his art were inseparable. It is a rough way to choose to go. It takes great courage.

At some point in the mid-'70's questions were asked of McCartney and the Stones: Is this it? Do you have anything else to give other than mere entertainment? Both artists' response was no. Paul set it out in Simple Love Songs and Jagger's was in IORR. The latter song especially was a clear declaration: Do not expect anything more from me. I do not have it. I think history has proven that statement correct. My problem with IORR is the song itself. It mocks artists with its economic power and vast popularity. It cheapens the genre of the music itself.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 3, 2014 22:03

Thrylan
treaclefingers
dcba
Funny that most of you hate it : it's one of the songs that most evolved over the years (along wit SFTD) : change of key, change of tempo, a constantly revamped intro.

Good to see you back on here Thrylan. smileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 3, 2014 22:42

pmk251
Who was it that said to Lennon?: Your songs are not about anything. I love you. You love me. You love him, etc. Lennon justifiably took that comment as an insult and a challenge and the fate of The Beatles was sealed.

Yes, I'd like to know who said that to Lennon and sealed the fate of the Beatles. Was it Yoko?

The trouble with all those political songs is that with their topical nature they became dated so quickly. Try listening to Sometime in New York City, which is impossible to do without a wiki reference. Great music and hooks, but the lyrics read like a 1972 newspaper editorial, whereas with McCartney's songs from the same era there's no such dilemma and the songs translate easily into the present.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:07

andrewt
Thrylan
treaclefingers
dcba

Good to see you back on here Thrylan. smileys with beer

Thank you my man! Been busy, but we've all got "Stones time"!

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:35

The live version on Sweet Summer Sun is excellent. The studio version is slow and lame by comparison.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:02

version of Sweet Summer Sun is fantastic! fantastic guitars as not felt for a long time on IORR!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 4, 2014 05:47

On the European tour in 1976, they did it in the key of G, which was...well, interesting.

The past 20 years or so, it kinda has that Bob Seger Old Time R&R feel, bereft of any feeling or groove whatsoever. However, I've played it in bands in the key of B this way, and it does get the Baby Boomers and Gen-X drunks moving on the dance floor.

Date: June 4, 2014 07:11

DandelionPowderman
stanlove

When did they not perform JJF or BS well?? They're the homerun songs that always work confused smiley

And, no, I'm not talking about if there are a couple of bum notes in them. It's the drive and the energy they always have when they play those songs that make them so good on stage.

They haven't played Jumpin' worth a damn since 1970!

Date: June 4, 2014 07:14

Winning Ugly VXII
GasLightStreet

May 26th,1990 in Frankfurt was the performance.

According to the Rocks Off site :

" Broadcast on 'International Rock Awards' ABC- TV 6.6.90 & worldwide " .

Still not my favorite version. Personally,like I said before,I prefer the Bridges and Licks b-stage versions (some of them anyway) and performances from early on in the 2005 A.B.B. tour. It's a matter of taste,I suppose.

It was tight. It may have been the sound, which on that tour was a bit more, I dunno, muted? The bridge was good, Keith, I thought.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 4, 2014 08:38

And to think Mick said in the JUMP BACK liner notes about IORR, "I was getting a bit tired of people having a go, all that `Oh, it's not as good as their last one' business."

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 4, 2014 10:15

This version!
Actually this was my introduction to this song...

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: June 4, 2014 10:22

I hate the studio version. The live versions are even worse. (but Lisa is NOT the problem) yawning smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: June 4, 2014 10:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
stanlove

They haven't played Jumpin' worth a damn since 1970!
Can't agree with this, my favourite versions tend to actually be from 1978 or 1981. The Texas '78 version is awesome, so much energy.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 4, 2014 14:23

in my opinion "jumping jack flash", "brown sugar" and "paint it black" are the 3 most iconic rolling stones songs and should be or should have been played every gig possible.

i dont believe songs like "its only rock and roll", "tumbling dice" and "start me up" should be played every gig, they could have been rotated with possibly "heartbreaker", "star star", "loving cup," "shattered", "hangfire", and "crazy mama".

there seems to be a belief amongst many stones fans and band members that certain warhorses are better songs than those which dont get played as much but i dont believe this to always be the case. many of these warhorses are only warhorses because they get played a lot, so the public know them better. if "its only rock and roll" was dropped in the 70,s and replaced by "if you cant rock me" then that would be the better known song and considered a warhorse. its just a pity the stones wernt more adventurous with setlists, they have an excellent album called exile on main street and apart from tumbling dice which may be one of the most played stones song ever they ignore the rest of the album and have done for decades.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home