Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Brian Jones home recordings discovered
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:32

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 09:32 by bv.

Re: Brian Jones home recordings etc...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:01

holy moly.

why in the hell isn't she doing something about getting the stuff released in some way?

Maybe not commercially viable, or unfinished?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:20

Maybe you can ask her what is on the reels. Or advise her how to extract the music on the reels. Would be great to even know what is on it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:45

It would be fun if, on these reels, we found blueprints for JJF and SFTD!

Holy moly the entire history of the year 1968 would have to be rewritten! grinning smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:51

Interesting and I really hope these recordings see the light of day. However, I would imagine they will be just clips of Brian experimenting with a variety of exotic intsrumentals as he seemed to be moving in that direction as opposed to pop/rock songs which were a little too constraining for his musical creativity. Keep us posted Mr Majesty.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:52

If I were you, I'd go visit her asap.

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:09

Wow! Nice work majesty! smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:18

It would appear that some very early Charlie Watts recordings are out there too:

BLUES BY FIVE (home-made tape, 1960)
Geoff Bradford (GTR), Brian Knight (voc), Andy Hoogenboom (bass), Keith Scott (piano), Charlie Watts (DRMS).

Via Google translate:

Because he knows I'm a Stones fan, Bradford gives me just a copy of a homemade recording from 1960 with drummer ... Charlie Watts . Of those tapes exist exactly three copies. And there are just three songs.
's first real group of Bradford called Blues by Six. But these homemade recording from 1960, called the Blues by Five group. Why Bradford do not know anymore. It does not matter. The quality is not you, but it is a historical document : namely, how you hear five British musicians who grew up with jazz and now have discovered the blues frantic efforts to make Chicago shake out of their speakers. That works only half. "Blues in F" is basically jazz, with a leading role for the piano by Keith Scott. Then is the rhythm section, while Bradford's guitar stays in the background, and he follows the speed of bass, drums and piano. Actually, this instrumental nummertje a mix of boogie woogie and white fifties jazz. The next two songs ("What Will Do Little Lucy" and "Young-Fashioned Ways" ) attempting to Chicago Blues is better with it. You hear all that rock'n'roll, a tendency to also Jimmy Reed a swing at half speed. The piano again plays a more prominent role than the guitar, although Bradford in "Lucy" a solo at best gives an authentic rock'n'roll record would not look out of place. The voice of Brian Knight is still looking for a proper sound and jazzy sounds neither here nor bluesy.

[www.eddybonte.be]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:04

Somebody somehow should find and collect them all, clean up and present in a nice box set (with glossy accompanying print material with precise details on the recordings and history).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 31, 2014 22:12

Detective Inspector Phil - get on the case immediately.

Date: May 31, 2014 22:18

thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:07

Whatever is on them, enquiring ears want to hear! I really hope something comes from this.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:45

Great HM! What would have been great is to hear everything he recorded. I doubt he kept everything. Not that everything has to be perfect, but it would be very interesting of course. I suspect he recorded bits and pieces that someone, a producer, could have used and developed with him.

Date: June 1, 2014 00:36

x

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:41 by His Majesty.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:56

Profit? ...Stones fans don't make profit they just share........You make me curious HM

Date: June 1, 2014 01:00

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:31

These days there is no need to buy expensive import cd's. One can, but the choice to share for free with another is also there.

Anyway the information what is on the reels is good enough for me. The rest is bonusthumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:32

His Majesty
NICOS
Profit? ...Stones fans don't make profit they just share........You make me curious HM

Sure, but look what happens when previously unknown stuff gets shared here, like my Aberdeen concert, some @#$%& go and put them out as bootleg products to buy. thumbs down

Who is buying bootlegs today most of the records shops in my neighbourhood are closed........I wonder if they still exist....confused smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:52

It would be interesting to have some modern day genius sift through the tapes and produce them into some sort of interesting mix. I'll be there's some interesting nuggets of sound in there.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:57

24FPS
It would be interesting to have some modern day genius sift through the tapes and produce them into some sort of interesting mix. I'll be there's some interesting nuggets of sound in there.

"A few reels of his recordings". Assuming there's enough in quantity and quality to do so.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:18

Wow H.M. thats pretty cool you'd be in direct contact with a real friend of Brian's. Can't be all that many of them left.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 1, 2014 03:22

It is good to know that the person in possession of these tapes does not want to see them exploited for profit. However, there is a significant amount of fans who would treasure a copy of these, no matter how unfinished the recordings may be, as there is precious little Brian material outside the Stones in existence as it is. But if they were to be officially released, very likely ABKCO would step forth to claim the rights on them, since it falls within their pre-1971 domain.

It is unlikely that any 1968 Rolling Stones song ideas came out of these, because by all accounts Brian had given up on presenting his work to the band.

As they date from 1967, I would guess that the material on these tapes borders on the more experimental side, less to do with rock and roll and standard song structure and more to do with electronic soundscapes, featuring more keyboards than guitar.

Date: June 1, 2014 03:24

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:43 by His Majesty.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 1, 2014 07:03

stonehearted
It is good to know that the person in possession of these tapes does not want to see them exploited for profit. However, there is a significant amount of fans who would treasure a copy of these, no matter how unfinished the recordings may be, as there is precious little Brian material outside the Stones in existence as it is. But if they were to be officially released, very likely ABKCO would step forth to claim the rights on them, since it falls within their pre-1971 domain.

It is unlikely that any 1968 Rolling Stones song ideas came out of these, because by all accounts Brian had given up on presenting his work to the band.

As they date from 1967, I would guess that the material on these tapes borders on the more experimental side, less to do with rock and roll and standard song structure and more to do with electronic soundscapes, featuring more keyboards than guitar.

Could ABKCO still claim the rights even though it wasn't material recorded with the Stones?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 1, 2014 07:30

I bet Flacvinyl could help clean these tapes HM. He does this stuff for a living and is very good at it. Just food for thought if the cassette tapes need help getting transferred into a digital medium.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 12:40

Hi HM, congratulations.
Please keep us posted, I'm visiting this thread every 30 minutes to read the developments.

I wonder who is this Brian's friend... can you tell us more, how comes she received these tapes? Some friend of mine told me he recently got in touch with Suki's sister but I think she lives in Rome now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 19:02 by straycat58.

Date: June 1, 2014 16:14

riccardo99

indeed. sleep with her and steal the tapes.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 1, 2014 16:48

treaclefingers
riccardo99

Now that is really going to persuade her to trust him, isn't it.

Date: June 1, 2014 16:52

Green Lady
treaclefingers
riccardo99

Now that is really going to persuade her to trust him, isn't it.

It's going to accomplish something...or something.

Re: Brian Jones home recordings discovered...
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 1, 2014 17:55

Very interesting, HM.
It's not the Stones secretary from the 60's?
Anyhow - has she never been approached by one of those book writers?
Good you're back on the track . .

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home