Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Brian Jones home recordings discovered...
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 1, 2014 18:52

Intersesting, but I wonder if it is just A DEGREE OF MURDER demos.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 1, 2014 19:36

Whatever it is, it will certainly bring out some evidence and shed some light regarding his compositorial skills.
Those who claim that he wrote Ruby Tuesday, will be either surprised or dissapointed.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 1, 2014 20:08

I have a feeling these tapes are outtakes from "The Pipes of Pan at Joujouka" sessions.

But it doesn't really matter. They would be great to hear just for their historical value. Great find, HM! Please keep us posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 20:10 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 20:47

When I read the post, my immediate thought was that it's either Shirley Arnold or Jo Bergman. Hopefully it is one of those two, preferably Shirley since she knew them right from the beginning!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 1, 2014 21:07

WOW! grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 1, 2014 21:22

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:57 by His Majesty.

Date: June 1, 2014 22:39

His Majesty
Blueranger
Whatever it is, it will certainly bring out some evidence and shed some light regarding his compositorial skills.
Those who claim that he wrote Ruby Tuesday, will be either surprised or dissapointed.

Seems you are putting too much weight on a snap shot of some home recordings.

We know he could compose already, his contributions to the stones and his soundtrack are proof of that.

Anybody can compose, but there is a difference of putting some chords together or adding textures to someone's songs, compared to actually 'write' a song with both words and music. I presume Brian was in the first category.
I don't expect anything other than historic relevance from these tapes.
The soundtrack is typical mid-sixties hipster music, and not peticular great at all. If this is all what this 'great mastermind' could come up with, I'm glad he contributed the things to the Stones he did, and not anything else.

Date: June 1, 2014 23:05

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 1, 2014 23:21

His Majesty

Wow. I would tell this woman to put the tapes in a safe deposit box til you, or a very trusted colleague,
can get there in person....I would not trust that they would not be misplaced by any mail carrier, at this
point. They are too potentially important, historically, I'd think, to treat at all casually.

- swiss

Date: June 1, 2014 23:37

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:42

Wow, this is interesting! Looking forward to hear more.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 2, 2014 00:47

Whether or not these reported recordings are "good" is largely a matter of subjective judgement.

But, if confirmed, these have to be of genuine historic significance.

There are very few recordings of the solo work of the founder of one of the major popular bands of the 20th Century - hence the significance.

Knowing how audio tape physically decays with time, I really really hope that the owner treats the tapes with great care - playing them rarely, and slowly rewinding (without playing) every few years. Transfer to digital medium would be urgent!

Unless the current owner is an expert in archival preservation, then she need to get in touch with one as soon as possible.

(And Heaven help us if the Lawyers get involved!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 2, 2014 01:15

CaptainCorella
Whether or not these reported recordings are "good" is largely a matter of subjective judgement.

But, if confirmed, these have to be of genuine historic significance.

There are very few recordings of the solo work of the founder of one of the major popular bands of the 20th Century - hence the significance.

Knowing how audio tape physically decays with time, I really really hope that the owner treats the tapes with great care - playing them rarely, and slowly rewinding (without playing) every few years. Transfer to digital medium would be urgent!

Unless the current owner is an expert in archival preservation, then she need to get in touch with one as soon as possible.

(And Heaven help us if the Lawyers get involved!)

Agreed on all counts!

Date: June 2, 2014 01:16

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:58 by His Majesty.

Date: June 2, 2014 01:18

His Majesty
I'm getting a cassette copy, not the actual reel to reel tapes. smiling smiley

Still smiling smiley I hope she has the originals in a safe deposit box. And that the cassettes are heavily insured, and you immediately digitize them and put all copies in an incredibly secure location.

Eventually, I'd think they will need to be properly verified, appraised, insured, and preserved -- in addition
to whatever else comes of them.

So cool! Any timeline on when you might be receiving them, HM?

- swiss

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 2, 2014 01:46

Cool

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: June 3, 2014 03:35

This is very exciting news. Definitely keep us Brian fans informed HM. I won't begin to speculate because it be could many different things. A Degree of Murder. Ruby Tuesday. Unheard original material. Bits and pieces of songs or nothing at all. I would keep the identity of the owner confidential. There were people who made sure Brian's 1969 tapes vanished from the face of the earth and some of them are probably still alive. Another interesting scenario is Keith lived with Brian and Anita for a short period where Keith got Brian playing guitar again. At this point in time I would love to hear anything from Brian that has never been heard before.

Date: June 3, 2014 04:06

Blueranger
His Majesty
Blueranger

We know he could compose already, his contributions to the stones and his soundtrack are proof of that.

Anybody can compose, but there is a difference of putting some chords together or adding textures to someone's songs, compared to actually 'write' a song with both words and music. I presume Brian was in the first category.
The soundtrack is typical mid-sixties hipster music, and not peticular great at all. If this is all what this 'great mastermind' could come up with, I'm glad he contributed the things to the Stones he did, and not anything else.

First of all not just anybody can compose. You need some musical ability and knowledge. Second of all, as you marginalize Brian Jones let me educate you. The Last Time. Take Brian's dominating guitar out and Mick and Keith don't have a hit. As far as I'm concerned he took a mediocre song and turned it into a hit. Take Brian's textures out of Aftermath and see if the Stones would have competed with Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and the Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver. As for A Degree of Murder. The film maker liked what Brian did so your opinion doesn't really matter. Considering the shape he was in he did a good job. Lastly, if not for "this great mastermind" there would not have been any Rolling Stones. No one will ever accuse Brian of being a songwriter. And if he didn't fall apart at the seams he would have contributed a lot more and made the stones even better than they were so lighten up on the guy.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: June 3, 2014 04:24

ovalvox
First of all not just anybody can compose. You need some musical ability and knowledge. Second of all, as you marginalize Brian Jones let me educate you. The Last Time. Take Brian's dominating guitar out and Mick and Keith don't have a hit. As far as I'm concerned he took a mediocre song and turned it into a hit. Take Brian's textures out of Aftermath and see if the Stones would have competed with Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and the Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver. As for A Degree of Murder. The film maker liked what Brian did so your opinion doesn't really matter. Considering the shape he was in he did a good job. Lastly, if not for "this great mastermind" there would not have been any Rolling Stones. No one will ever accuse Brian of being a songwriter. And if he didn't fall apart at the seams he would have contributed a lot more and made the stones even better than they were so lighten up on the guy.

Said very well! Thank you for this.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 3, 2014 04:43

Super cool HM!!!!! I'm rooting for mellotron.

It would be cool just to hear "where he was" so to speak, regardless of quality or quantity.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 3, 2014 11:34

ovalvox
This is very exciting news. Definitely keep us Brian fans informed HM. I won't begin to speculate because it be could many different things. A Degree of Murder. Ruby Tuesday. Unheard original material. Bits and pieces of songs or nothing at all. I would keep the identity of the owner confidential. There were people who made sure Brian's 1969 tapes vanished from the face of the earth and some of them are probably still alive. Another interesting scenario is Keith lived with Brian and Anita for a short period where Keith got Brian playing guitar again. At this point in time I would love to hear anything from Brian that has never been heard before.

>grinning smiley<

It would be a dream come true to hear some of BrianĀ“s own recordings from 1966-67!

Date: June 3, 2014 12:13

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:58 by His Majesty.

Date: June 3, 2014 12:24

ovalvox
Blueranger
His Majesty
Blueranger

Maybe I wasn't that clear, but listen up: I am a great admire of Brian Jones. I am sure he could compose, which is why his musical skills in the Stones were so important. But he didn't write the song. He added musical textures to them and made them even better. There is a difference. I love his contributions to the records, no doubt.
Regarding the soundtrack, does people really enjoy it? If it wasn't Brian's name on it, wouldn't people be less than overstatic? Compared to what he did with The Stones, the soundtrack is poor.
The term "The Great Mastermind" was a provocation. There are people who believe that The Stones were nothing without him. Well, now they have played 45 years without him and arguebly made their best records when he was out of the band. Those people who swear to Jones and nothing else are idolising him and are taking his persona out of the musical context.

Date: June 3, 2014 12:37

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:59 by His Majesty.

Date: June 3, 2014 12:46

His Majesty
smiling bouncing smiley

"I will send the cassette to you as soon as possible. Your contact has stirred some memories, I think the tapes contain nazi speeches set to experimental music. There's only about 30 minutes of music."

eye popping smiley

That's our concept boy... eye popping smiley

Date: June 3, 2014 13:13

His Majesty
I would like parts of his soundtrack even if it were done by an unknown musician, but I like 60's soundtracks generally anyway.

The Degree Of Murder soundtrack is certainly of it's time, but the theme as played on recorder and acoustic guitar is beautiful and quite timeless. It shows the sensitivity of him as a musician and also of his ability to write/create music which is evocative and emotional.

It seems people keep trying to judge his contributions in song writing terms. Ok, there are no released Brian Jones songs written on his own. There is a poem by him (probably) which was successfully set to music and there is plenty Brian Jones music within the music of The Rolling Stones.

Coming up with great and distinctive parts for someone else's song is a vital creative thing in it's own right. The world of music would be a very boring and hollow thing without great arrangers. They can make or break a song.

The people who think Brian was the be all and end all of the stones are just silly, but for better or worse, the band were/are quite different without him.

smiling smiley

And that poem, which I can't remember the name of, are really really great stuff.
It touched me, reading it.

Date: June 3, 2014 13:20

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 00:59 by His Majesty.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 3, 2014 13:36

His Majesty

"I will send the cassette to you as soon as possible. Your contact has stirred some memories, I think the tapes contain nazi speeches set to experimental music. There's only about 30 minutes of music."

I think that any value of these tapes, other than archival & historic just vanished. There isn't a reputable organisation on the planet that would touch them.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 4, 2014 03:41

Blueranger
ovalvox
Blueranger
His Majesty
Blueranger

Maybe I wasn't that clear, but listen up: I am a great admire of Brian Jones. I am sure he could compose, which is why his musical skills in the Stones were so important. But he didn't write the song. He added musical textures to them and made them even better. There is a difference. I love his contributions to the records, no doubt.
Regarding the soundtrack, does people really enjoy it? If it wasn't Brian's name on it, wouldn't people be less than overstatic? Compared to what he did with The Stones, the soundtrack is poor.
The term "The Great Mastermind" was a provocation. There are people who believe that The Stones were nothing without him. Well, now they have played 45 years without him and arguebly made their best records when he was out of the band. Those people who swear to Jones and nothing else are idolising him and are taking his persona out of the musical context.

Maybe I misunderstood you. I Haved read a lot of knocks on Brian Jones over the years. Some deserved. Some not. My opinion of a texture is Brian's riff on Mothers. Dulcimer on I am Waiting, etc. The Last Time I would consider his repetitive riff as far more. It dominates the entire song. It completely makes the song. And like I said he'll never be accused of being a songwriter. He has been marginalized more and more over the years. I think he deserves credit for what he did with and without the stones. Nothing more. Nothing less. So if I misunderstood you then my appologies.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 4, 2014 04:03

His Majesty
I should have kept my mouth shut until I had the cassette!

Nah, we are glad to hear about it. We're just impatient to actually hear the recordings. If it is any solace, if I were in your situation, I could not have stopped myself from posting the news on this board.

Not matter what the recording is, I would be interested in hearing it just for its historical significance. We really do appreciate you sharing this news with us. Like I said before, we're just impatient.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home