Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: Breaking Bad
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 18, 2015 19:52

Agreed best show I've ever watched - addicting
First 4 seasons of Dexter are pretty awesome also until it got really stupid...
Has anyone watched a show called the wire - I have not but have been told by several people that it is the best show ever ?? any comments?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 18, 2015 20:04

I found the first Season of The Wire to be very interesting; excellent in terms of writing, performance, direction, production, etc. but ultimately nowhere near as rewarding as Breaking Bad.

Olly.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 19, 2015 01:57

Better Call Saul season 2 starts in Feb...

[variety.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:10

In the long run, there is no series that beats Sopranos though...

..or season one of:

True Detective

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 09:17 by Come On.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 19, 2017 10:57

"Better Call Saul" season 3 has started and they're getting deliciously close to the BB universe.
I own't spoil anything but some major characters from BB have entered the BCS plot line.

Date: April 19, 2017 11:01

dcba
"Better Call Saul" season 3 has started and they're getting deliciously close to the BB universe.
I own't spoil anything but some major characters from BB have entered the BCS plot line.

That's cool thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 19, 2017 12:07

I like Breaking Bad. I think The Sopranos is ok. I am absolutely in awe by the perfect piece of art that is The Wire.

Breaking Bad is very good television, one of the best. I love, absolutely love the interactions between Walt and Jesse, those are the highlights of the series. I am less fond of all the family interactions. They are necessary of course, and an important counter-point to all the criminal activities, but I find them slow and most of the family-members lack any likeable traits. To be honest, I sometimes skip those scenes.

The Sopranos, I can see why it got so much admiration, it was one of the first "really special and good" t.v. shows (apart from Twin Peaks, which is an artform on its own), but I don't enjoy it much, despite all the clever story telling, because it's hard to feel any empathy for any of the characters. Deep down, I wish the FBI would shoot them all and get it over with.

For me, The Wire belongs in a different category, which is, and I repeat: pure art. I could go on and on about why. In short: the amazing amount of full characters, the amazing amount of story-lines, the humor, the tragedy, the depth, the dialogues, the political, social and philosophical implications, and - again - the humor. The opening sequence with all the different versions of the song "Down in the Hole" helps too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2017 16:07

Never heard of the Wire, is it on Netflix as well?

Date: April 19, 2017 16:12

Koen
Never heard of the Wire, is it on Netflix as well?

A tv series that premiered in 2002

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2017 16:16

Ah, thanks. Unfortunately, it's on HBO, we have no access to it. But maybe I can find it somewhere else.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 19, 2017 16:34

I love Breaking Bad; it's all about a man who never really had the breaks he deserved in life.

Breaking Bad is also great television. I'm blessed that I binge-watched it, but then I'm also binging on the old Alec Guinness Tinker Tailor on BBC Store, and then I am also watching, on BBC Store, Dr Who: The Deadly Assassin, and Dr Who: Pyramids of Mars. Nothing beats Tom Baker / Elisabeth Sladen / Philip Hinchcliffe era of Dr Who, as it's really great drama.

Date: April 19, 2017 16:40

Koen
Ah, thanks. Unfortunately, it's on HBO, we have no access to it. But maybe I can find it somewhere else.

You'll find it, if you know where to look... smoking smiley

Date: April 19, 2017 17:48

Koen

I was lucky enough to see it when one of those "tv-streaming" canals were still on the internet, but I was so impressed by The Wire that I bought all series on DVD (also to be able to watch it with subtitles, which - whatever your level of English is - is really quite necessary to understand more than 50% of the dialogues).

Date: April 19, 2017 17:53

tomcasagranda
I love Breaking Bad; it's all about a man who never really had the breaks he deserved in life.

Breaking Bad is also great television. I'm blessed that I binge-watched it, but then I'm also binging on the old Alec Guinness Tinker Tailor on BBC Store, and then I am also watching, on BBC Store, Dr Who: The Deadly Assassin, and Dr Who: Pyramids of Mars. Nothing beats Tom Baker / Elisabeth Sladen / Philip Hinchcliffe era of Dr Who, as it's really great drama.

My all-time favorite Dr. Who episode is "Blink" (with the 10th doctor), which I think is brilliant both with the whole time-travel-paradox thing as with the low-budget-scary-alien-paradox. Best lines ever: "it's the same rain" and "look to your left".

My favorite doctor was the 9th, Christopher Eggleton, although not all his episodes were equally good, they were still looking for the right formula, I guess.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 19, 2017 18:18

matxil
Koen

I was lucky enough to see it when one of those "tv-streaming" canals were still on the internet, but I was so impressed by The Wire that I bought all series on DVD (also to be able to watch it with subtitles, which - whatever your level of English is - is really quite necessary to understand more than 50% of the dialogues).

Yes the Baltimore accent is sometimes little more than a mumble.

But I couldn't agree more, this was hands down the best Police/detectice show on television.

The Sheild was excellent as well, not up to the Wire's standards but excellent in its own right.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: April 19, 2017 21:17

dcba

I haven't watched any of Better Call Saul other than a few clips, although I might be more interested if more familiar characters are involved.

It would be great if Walt's trial took place in the show. This seems unlikely as Goodman moved to Nebraska, although it would give Gilligan a chance to revisit his great character.

matxil
Breaking Bad is very good television, one of the best. I love, absolutely love the interactions between Walt and Jesse, those are the highlights of the series. I am less fond of all the family interactions. They are necessary of course, and an important counter-point to all the criminal activities, but I find them slow and most of the family-members lack any likeable traits. To be honest, I sometimes skip those scenes.

It's one of the few shows that I've rewatched in its entirety and everything included serves a purpose. When I watched it initially, I found that some of the more domestic scenes dragged. With the benefit of a rewatch, I realise I was wrong and that no detail of Breaking Bad is extraneous.

Date: April 19, 2017 22:31

Come On
In the long run, there is no series that beats Sopranos though...

Couldn't agree more. I've been watching the Sopranos 3 times and IMHO nothing beats it. And to quote Matxil, i have to admit i feel some empathy for some of the characters, which is a bit disturbing... I remember there has been a lot of talks about the end, big story, some people loved it and other hated it. For me, it was pure genious. The best end of all times.
I also agree that season one of True Detective is a "chef d'oeuvre". Unfortunately, season two is very disapointing.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 19, 2017 22:40

umakmehrd
Agreed best show I've ever watched - addicting

It was a very good show, and quite addicting ... but the best for me is Game of Thrones!

Date: April 19, 2017 23:30

matxil
I like Breaking Bad. I think The Sopranos is ok. I am absolutely in awe by the perfect piece of art that is The Wire.

The Sopranos, I can see why it got so much admiration, it was one of the first "really special and good" t.v. shows (apart from Twin Peaks, which is an artform on its own), but I don't enjoy it much, despite all the clever story telling, because it's hard to feel any empathy for any of the characters. Deep down, I wish the FBI would shoot them all and get it over with.

For me, The Wire belongs in a different category, which is, and I repeat: pure art. I could go on and on about why. In short: the amazing amount of full characters, the amazing amount of story-lines, the humor, the tragedy, the depth, the dialogues, the political, social and philosophical implications, and - again - the humor. The opening sequence with all the different versions of the song "Down in the Hole" helps too.

I'm still in shock over Wallace and how Dukie ended up....Season 1 through 4 (Season 4 is a masterpiece) made this the greatest show of all time....Season 5 was decent....

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 20, 2017 07:53

I have been watching Better Call Saul since it began. Although the series has a different tone and it started out a little more plodding than Breaking Bad, season 3 is now picking up steam, especially with the introduction of a couple more characters (especially Giancarlo Esposito as the ruthless Gus Fring) from Breaking Bad making their appearance this season. Aside from these developments, I thank the creators of this show for bringing back Jonathan Banks (aka Mike Ehrmantraut). Although I like Bob Odenkirk's Jimmy McGill (soon to be) Saul Goodman's character, I tune in each week to watch whom I consider to be the jewel of the show-Jonathan Banks. He carries it.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home