Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: OT: Breaking Bad
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 11, 2014 07:50

WoW if that's Keith's wife in that pic does she ever look good!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 11, 2014 10:38

treaclefingers
Aquamarine
I'm doing the same with Downton Abbey that I did with BB (and just did with Game of Thrones), namely watching the past episodes all at once. Advantage with Downton is that the first three series are free with Amazon Prime Video. thumbs up

Had to wait till I'd finished the books before watching Game of Thrones.

We'll do that as well, it's on Netflix right now.

After a while they seem to start cross-pollinating--I just realized tonight that at least two members of the GoT cast are in Downton, for instance.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: April 11, 2014 11:56

Simply fantastic,all the way best characters on TV for a long long time..others i´ve been hooked lately or earlier

Sopranos
Battlestar Galactiga(NEW one)
Dexter,,i like this better than breaking bad,,then thats just me
Justified
Hell on wheels
American Horror story first 2 seasons 3rd was horrible

and
hannibal

i tought Sons of anarchy was great for 2 first seasons,,,3rd utter crap,,4th was kinda barely ok,5th was great 6th was boring as hell,,then there was lot of mistakes writing the script,specially timeline between things to happen,and it was
written and directed so,that you can allready know whats going to happen.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2014 12:25

Hannibal is absolutely riveting! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 11, 2014 14:20

BB is quite possibly the best TV show ever made. It is an utterly compelling blend of black comedy, drama, soap and western.

Saul Goodman deserves his own series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 14:23 by Father Ted.

Date: April 11, 2014 14:44

He will! There's a "Better call Saul" spin-off in the works.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 11, 2014 15:25

better call saul:

[www.idigitaltimes.com]

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 11, 2014 15:43

rob51
Agree 100% Sighunt and I'm still waiting for tv to come out with anything even close. Did you get into Deadwood when it aired? Great series if you don't mind the old west era and lot's of bad language, lol. In my opinion BB and Deadwood are the two best thing's ever to be seen on television and I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two.

rob51-your post is very timely as someone else I work with just the other day told me about Deadwood and made comparisons to BB. He suggested that I check it out as he thought the quality was just as good.. thanks for the tip.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 11, 2014 16:30

duke richardson
I missed Breaking Bad when it was first shown on AMC I think it was. so I heard about it without seeing it, then I avoided discussion and especially anything about the finale, because I knew I'd watch the whole thing sooner or later.

but I was unprepared for how good it is, and streaming it on Netflix is ideal for this show. Its amazing in all aspects, writing, cinematography, casting, acting..even the music is cool. love that its set in New Mexico too.

+1smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 11, 2014 17:54

Yes it is a great show and I plan on seeing it from the beginning on DVD (I'm writing a long review of it for a blog). Vince Gilligan is an imaginative writer and director and felt this way since I first heard of him watching his contributions to the X-Files t.v. series.

In fact, you can see elements of his written and/or directed episodes of the X-Files in various scenes of Breaking Bad (not to compare the two shows, they're completely different).

Anyway, can't way to see 'Better Call Saul' as he was one of the most intriguing characters of Breaking Bad...also good to see (I think he has) Aaron Paul has signed on to do some episodes. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 17:56 by nightskyman.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 11, 2014 18:02

Pollos.

Date: April 11, 2014 18:36

yeah this should be good, interesting to see what continuity there will be with Breaking Bad..its a prequel..

Mike will be on it..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2014 00:38

spsimmons
Best show since The Andy Griffith Show!

I never understood how Opie grew up to be Ritchie Cunningham, and how time stood still throughout it all.

Date: April 12, 2014 01:43

duke richardson
yeah this should be good, interesting to see what continuity there will be with Breaking Bad..its a prequel..

Mike will be on it..

... and the man from Chile too? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 12, 2014 02:32

HBO rock man. Just started Breaking Bad last week after being gutted that I finished the final (5th) season of The Wire.

I needed counselling when Deadwood finished. Went all Rainman. A world with no Deadwood is like a world with no Stones - unfathomable.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 12, 2014 18:18

My favorite episode of BB is in the final season where they perform a train robbery to exchange one of the tanker's methenanine for water. It's the greatest train robbery scenes ever!!

One sad aspect of that particular scene is when the kid gets shot and was only there by chance. He was only inquisitive and was killed on the spot by that jackass Todd. If you recall that particular show opened by showing the kid three hours earlier just riding around the desert on his Trail Motor Bike just being a kid.

I still go back and forth in thoughts as that should have been in the script at all. But then again the show itself is one chained link catastrophy.

By this time, White had made the full ytransition to Heisenberg.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 12, 2014 19:10

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 12, 2014 19:26

Chris Fountain
My favorite episode of BB is in the final season where they perform a train robbery to exchange one of the tanker's methenanine for water. It's the greatest train robbery scenes ever!!

One sad aspect of that particular scene is when the kid gets shot and was only there by chance. He was only inquisitive and was killed on the spot by that jackass Todd. If you recall that particular show opened by showing the kid three hours earlier just riding around the desert on his Trail Motor Bike just being a kid.

I still go back and forth in thoughts as that should have been in the script at all. But then again the show itself is one chained link catastrophy.

By this time, White had made the full ytransition to Heisenberg.

Chris- That particular episode that you are referencing is also one of my personal favorites of the series (with the exception of the young kid getting killed by that psychopath character Todd). Very imaginative and suspenseful. I thought the last season continued with quality and tied things up pretty well. Vince Gilligan, the creator of the services is top notch.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:31

Great series. My favourite character was Mike. I'm glad he returns in Better Call Saul.

Date: April 13, 2014 00:50

marko
Simply fantastic,all the way best characters on TV for a long long time..others i´ve been hooked lately or earlier

Sopranos
Battlestar Galactiga(NEW one)
Dexter,,i like this better than breaking bad,,then thats just me
Justified
Hell on wheels
American Horror story first 2 seasons 3rd was horrible

and
hannibal

i tought Sons of anarchy was great for 2 first seasons,,,3rd utter crap,,4th was kinda barely ok,5th was great 6th was boring as hell,,then there was lot of mistakes writing the script,specially timeline between things to happen,and it was
written and directed so,that you can allready know whats going to happen.

Battlestar Galactica - I assume you're refering to the one w/ Edward J Olmos. What a great show. I stumbled over that one by accident. I had no interest in that type show. At best I thought it to be a guilty pleasure type show, like Star Trek. But what a series BG was. A very human drama, that IMO just got better and better. very ofetn these type storylines run out of gas once you get into Season 4, 5, and closer to the center, the 'who-done-it'. I had the feeling that writers had the overall story arc mapped out before. It got better and sadder.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 13, 2014 01:10

If we're on to "favorite series," I've got to give a shout-out to Twin Peaks. I know--love it or hate it. I was one of the weirdos who just liked it more and more the more bizarre it got, and was heartbroken when it was canceled.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 13, 2014 01:30

I've yet to watch it. How does it compare to the "24" series from a few years ago staring Kiefer Sutherland as Counter Terrorist Unit agent Jack Bauer. That was one show you could watch many episodes (if not all 24) in one sitting.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 13, 2015 15:32

latebloomer
One more season to go...for the past six months. It is amazing in all the ways already said here, but I haven't been in a hurry to finish it. Busy, for one thing, but I'm with gripweed on the heaviness. I'll finish it up this summer, but I think I want something with some laughs for the next Netflix go around.

I consider Breaking Bad one of the finest television comedies of all time. I was regularly in stitches watching it.

Olly.

Date: October 13, 2015 15:40

Olly
latebloomer
One more season to go...for the past six months. It is amazing in all the ways already said here, but I haven't been in a hurry to finish it. Busy, for one thing, but I'm with gripweed on the heaviness. I'll finish it up this summer, but I think I want something with some laughs for the next Netflix go around.

I consider Breaking Bad one of the finest television comedies of all time. I was regularly in stitches watching it.

Why do you regard it a comedy?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 13, 2015 16:37

'Better Call Saul' is excellent. Absolutely loved the first season. 2nd season suppose to start early '16.
Too early in a.m. here for me to give better info/ adjectives.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 13, 2015 16:43

DandelionPowderman
Why do you regard it a comedy?

It's generally considered to incorporate many genres, including drama, thriller, western and comedy or dark comedy, but the comedic element is far stronger than many seem to admit. The comedy's perfectly balanced, and never feels forced.

I'll save my comprehensive thesis for a later date, but there are so many comic elements to the show, including:

- The appearance and mannerisms of many of the characters. The actors all have fantastic comic timing, including those playing smaller roles, such as Lavell Crawford and Bill Burr (both stand-up comedians) playing Huell and Patrick repectively.

- The prominence of physical comedy throughout the series: Walt's ridiculous pretence in scrubbing the carpet to cover up Jesse's planned arson; the injury sustained to Ted; Walt being pepper sprayed by a cop; the pizza on the roof; Jesse driving off with Walt's possessions on top of his car; incidents involving portaloos - the security guard being trapped inside, Jesse falling into one.

- Dramatic irony used throughout to comic effect. For example, when Jesse asks Walt if Mike 'got away' okay, Walt nods and replies, 'He's gone', with the viewer aware that Mike's body is in the boot of the car.

- The domestic mundanity of some of the characters, in contrast to their lives outside of their families. Walt's ridiculous phone mannerism to conceal his secrets; Jesse's infantile fights with his parents.

- Any scene featuring Jesse, Skinny Pete or Brandon.

- A number of props and scenery used, including Saul's garishly bright shirt and tie combinations; Marie's obsession with the colour purple; Jesse's 'Hello Kitty' phone; Walt's inappropriate footwear.

- Todd's schoolboy-esque infatuation with Lydia, including fussing over the strength of her tea and carefully removing a stray hair from the back of her jacket.

- The (often highly unprofessional) banter between Hank and Gomie.

- Hank's coarse and inappropriate comments ('Chick's got an ass like an onion... makes me wanna cry.')

Olly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-13 16:48 by Olly.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 13, 2015 16:46

Up there and compete with The Lucy Show

2 1 2 0

Date: October 13, 2015 16:49

Thanks. It's impossible not to notice comical elements, sure, but I would never call it a comedy as such. Too exciting, too action, too brutal.

Great show, though thumbs up

Date: October 13, 2015 16:52

Olly
latebloomer

there are many scenes that display this show's very dark humor, and same for the dialogue.

one example is the scene in the Mexican restaurant, when Hank, Maria, walt and Skylar are gathered after Walt has been found out, and they are there so Walt can give Hank his 'confession ' disc..

and the cheerful waiter comes over to ask if they want fresh guacamole, made right there at the table..

for me, that contrast is a good example of the dark humor that pops up often in this show..unexpected, sudden contrasts for either humorous or terrifying effect..

sometimes both..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 13, 2015 16:52

First part of 'True Detective (6 episodes)...that's for men...Breaking Bad is more of a Comedy to me too...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home