Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Mastermind Behind Coachella and Desert Trip
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:57

Good article here:

[www.newyorker.com]

Re: The Mastermind Behind Coachella and Desert Trip
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 18, 2017 06:34

Thanks for posting- I usually peruse the New Yorker online every few weeks.
I got partway thru this article and this part bothers me:
"In addition, each act got its own tented friends-and-family acre for the entire two weeks. The Stones’ area included a forty-yard-long air-conditioned running track on which Jagger could sprint back and forth to warm up."
I'd love to run with Mick.
And I am pained I somehow missed out.
Glad none of the show reviews I read described hanging in the RS air conditioned friends and family BBQ while Jagger works out! Killing me.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: April 18, 2017 13:13

Remembering the site I would rather think this running track was established a container. Might have been a bad idea, as Jagger caught a bad throat at Desert Trip leading to cancellation of the Vegas Show. I always wondered how only the mild winds crossing the stage at the second show weekend could be responsible for this, maybe he did to much Container running.

Very good article, Thank you for sharing!

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 18, 2017 15:24

How can six days of shows gross $160 million? Didn't the entire Bigger Bang tour gross like $500 million or something?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 15:25 by Send It To me.

Date: April 18, 2017 16:30

After the Jagger acre fun park, the rest of the article read like a too wordy resume, I went into scan only.
The dude is a young tenured top sales executive- so he should know/
or is now finally (lucky bugger) learning:
You cannot cash in on what happened last year, last month
what have you done for me lately?
What grotesque to me are the obvious paid/ styled B, C, and D list celebs
getting the perfect selfies for ... the Daily Mail?
I think this phase is passing/passed Conchella (should have stayed w/ original name. ground up pastel sea shells/ ancient inlet? Yes! Stuck in desert- no.
Time to change direction. Retirement village housing.

ETA: And DiCaprio, you need to step out of these events- it's looking seedy now.
Stay intelligent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 16:33 by 35love.

Date: April 18, 2017 17:14

Furthermore, the bravoto I booked this I booked that wheeled dealed
negotiated for 6 months straight without eating price points tiers I am creating music history with exposure
blah blah blah wonder how much profit after ALL expenses?
I actually don't care.
Last bite:
The paragraph in the article about the old rich up front, the young poor kids all in back (deal from Costco? Mom's membership?)
Vomit.
Do not compare yourself to Woodstock, Wright Festival, etc.

Date: April 18, 2017 20:02

Dude, did you wake up on the wrong side of bed?
What is your beef?

Its an article reporting this guys history and its effect on the concert music business. I dont think its "bravado" or his ego. The reporter used his quotes to substain the facts. He worked long and hard to get where he is.

What really should gross you out is the fact that Mick requested a special running track for himself at a festival with 6 other bands.
Sometimes the promoters are at the mercy of the bands, and unfortunately the Stones are the kings at this.

Date: April 18, 2017 20:42

This is what should really gross you out about Coachella.

[variety.com]

You cant blame Paul for this. Unfortunately this is what social media and millenials have done to this festival.

Date: April 19, 2017 00:16

spikenyc

[variety.com]

You cant blame Paul for this. Unfortunately this is what social media and millenials have done to this festival.

Yes, that is my beef, exactly.
And I did feel bad after I wrote this, I'm not an attack job type of GAL.
(except for Axl Rose when he headlined Coachella from a wheelchair,
I's mean then, too)

Date: April 19, 2017 01:00

35love
spikenyc

[variety.com]

Yes, that is my beef, exactly.
And I did feel bad after I wrote this, I'm not an attack job type of GAL.
(except for Axl Rose when he headlined Coachella from a wheelchair,
I's mean then, too)

No worries Love! That's what these forums are good for. All good. smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 19, 2017 02:17

spikenyc
What really should gross you out is the fact that Mick requested a special running track for himself at a festival with 6 other bands.
Sometimes the promoters are at the mercy of the bands, and unfortunately the Stones are the kings at this.

BFD

Re-read- All the bands got an acre, to do with as they please.
The Rolling Stones were pleased to have a track for Jagger to warm up on.

"In addition, each act got its own tented friends-and-family acre for the entire two weeks. The Stones’ area included a forty-yard-long air-conditioned running track on which Jagger could sprint back and forth to warm up."

Should be noted that Jagger was the only one to utilize the huge stage,afterwards remarking about how they must of built the f'ing thing just for him.

He likes to warm up by jogging, having been there I can attest to the fact that an air conditioned area would be the only way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-19 02:18 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2017 03:18

Could be that Mick's illness was actually caused by his private air-conditioned running track area.
None of the other bands/artists became sick in the open air desert environment over the two weekends!
Sometimes those AC systems can carry viruses...

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: April 19, 2017 07:14

many people got the "Coachella Grud". most employees all wore bandanas over their mouth & nose...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 19, 2017 09:35

I wonder what Bob Dylan did with his acre?

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: April 19, 2017 13:49

spikenyc

[variety.com]

The linked article is from from 2014, although I doubt much has changed.
However, when I saw who wrote it I stopped reading: Bob Lefsetz is a whiny wannabe hipster troll.

Date: April 19, 2017 16:21

On the little 'ask a RS a ?' tidbits (not official title, loved them for real time right now seeing the band)
Mick was talking about the stage at Conchella and said it was the longest he's done! It was too long/ of course he's the best used it all. Said it was taxing.
Hey, I'm available to help train Mick for the next ;-)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 19, 2017 20:20

35love
On the little 'ask a RS a ?' tidbits (not official title, loved them for real time right now seeing the band)
Mick was talking about the stage at Conchella and said it was the longest he's done! It was too long/ of course he's the best used it all. Said it was taxing.
Hey, I'm available to help train Mick for the next ;-)

It was conceived by Roger Waters specifically for his Mexico and Desert Trip shows to showcase his special effects/projections on the massive screen - he was kind enough to let the other bands use it at Desert Trip.
And while he himself might not have run around the extended stage ala Mick Jagger, he did stroll out to the furthest stretches on either side utilizing as much of it as possible.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 19, 2017 21:39

that was a great article.you start off thinking the guy is probably some wise-ass yuppie and find out that his partner financed goldenvoice through a weed smuggling operation and that he lost everything he owned on the first coachella.

it was funny when they told the A.E.G. guys "we lost almost a million on the first one" and they just laughed it off,oh well you were just getting started it happens..

Date: April 19, 2017 22:42

Hairball
Could be that Mick's illness was actually caused by his private air-conditioned running track area.
None of the other bands/artists became sick in the open air desert environment over the two weekends!
Sometimes those AC systems can carry viruses...

Knock it off, you know I am fond of you Hairball, but Jagger ran is arse off and blew all the other acts away in athleticism and breathing in all the dust.
In his 70's! Probably the Russian girl wore him out too Ha Ha Ha
Hey, my crush on Mick is ridiculous no doubt. Don't think he'll be back for any Palm Spring old folk shows anytime soon. Paris? The Louvre? Oui!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home