Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:49

Personally I decided NOT to see Chuck last time he visited Oslo, because of all the bad comments. But we live in a free world, if he wants to tour then feel free. We are not doctors, at least not his personal doctor. If he is completely insane then he would probably be locked up. There is no harm done to him.

I don't understand why anyone would worry one single second about what old people are doing in this world. Old people may do whatever they want, and it is none of our business as long as they don't break the law. Chuck Berry is selling tickets, and people still buy those tickets. Very simple.

I would advice anyone who worry or complain to simply buy a ticket and check out the show. Or don't go, do something else. But to sit at home and complain about what OTHER old people are doing, that is the REAL GRYMPY version of getting old I think.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 14, 2014 15:29

Because there's a principle involved, BV. If you're charging people admission, you'd better be worth it. Nothing stops Chuck Berry going to a local jam night once or twice a week if he just wants to play a bit of guitar for himself and anyone else who wants to listen. But actually selling tickets for this stuff? That's tawdry, crappy behaviour.

Date: April 14, 2014 15:56

If you buy a ticket to a concert then it is your responsibility to understand what sort of show that is. By reading reviews, being a fan or by talking to friends. Never in my life I have purchased a ticket BLIND i.e. to a band or an artist I know nothing about.

If you buy a ticket to a Chuck Berry show this year and you don't know the fact that Chuck Berry is 87 years old now and that he might walk out of the show at any time when he feels like it and that he might not even get every riff and song right, then it is your fault. Just like if you buy a beer and it taste crap. Bad investment. You may complain but really ... life is too short.

It is possible to be ignorant and stupid in this world. If you are afraid of doing a bad investment then stay at home and watch free television, or take a walk. Life is full of surprises. If I had the time I would go and see (and pay for) Chuck Berry live. But I am busy, and I have read reports from others. And I have seen him in his younger days. I want to remember him like that. But anyone who want just one more Chuck Berry show should be free to go, without having their way through people with banners outside the venue saying "Don't go to this show"...

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:11

Stoneburst
If you're charging people admission, you'd better be worth it.

That's what you fail to see : Chuck or other legend from the 50's does not enter that scheme. People who buy a ticket for Chuck (or JLLewis or Little Richard) go to see a legend : if the legend performs poorly well people still think "hey at least I got to see him before he dies!".

I don't think people who buy a ticket for a Chuck show expect a thrilling performance, they just wanna be in the same room as a genuine legend for 1hr +.

Chuck IS part of the Americana and European audiences root for that. It's the America they love : the US they love (the oneof the 50's and the 60's), not the walking nightmare that started with Bush Jr.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:24

No offense dcba but your political comment about a former President of the US has nothing to do with this and I dont know if Chuck himself has just positive memories of the good old 50s. Or 60s for that matter. I love the US for many reasons except one well known peanut farmer of Georgia.

I get the meet and greet thing, to see the legend, sure, but this is not the way Id want to remember him.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:44

I haven't really weighed in on my thoughts regarding this thread up to now as I felt really uncomfortable with all the posts that I have read-and it is not that people haven't made credible points-many of the posts both pro and con in seeing Chuck have been valid. I feel sad that a family member who posts on this site is reading this stuff because at some level, it surely must be painful to read some of these opinions. This whole thread brings back issues I certainly struggled with regarding my aging parents and decisions that I had to make in their name and their best interest. Regarding seeing the legendary Chuck Berry in his current state, it certainly gets down to "Buyer Be Where." I don't know if this will get me banned, but I don't entirely agree with BV's sentiments. Sadly, there may not be paying customers who are as astute as the posters who visit this website and/or do their homework. Unfortunately, these folks will blindly buy tickets and possibly walk out in disgust. I'm not against Chuck Berry having a need to perform (if he is able to do so), but I agree with some other posters-if you need some people contact-play out at clubs where it more casual and less formal (open mike night LOL) or do a meet and greet. These concerts do not add to Chuck's legacy. I don't think it is a wise decision to pretend to promote and/or provide something to a paying public whether it be music or some other service when you really cannot provide it to your customer.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 14, 2014 17:04

Stoneburst
Because there's a principle involved, BV. If you're charging people admission, you'd better be worth it. Nothing stops Chuck Berry going to a local jam night once or twice a week if he just wants to play a bit of guitar for himself and anyone else who wants to listen. But actually selling tickets for this stuff? That's tawdry, crappy behaviour.

agreed!

Date: April 14, 2014 17:05

dcba
Stoneburst

That's what you fail to see : Chuck or other legend from the 50's does not enter that scheme. People who buy a ticket for Chuck (or JLLewis or Little Richard) go to see a legend : if the legend performs poorly well people still think "hey at least I got to see him before he dies!".

I don't think people who buy a ticket for a Chuck show expect a thrilling performance, they just wanna be in the same room as a genuine legend for 1hr +.

Chuck IS part of the Americana and European audiences root for that. It's the America they love : the US they love (the oneof the 50's and the 60's), not the walking nightmare that started with Bush Jr.

Typical. ALWAYS start the politics. You are a disgrace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2014 17:13

michaelsavage
Stoneburst

agreed!

Who determines whether something is 'worth it'? You?

For the majority of the audience, it seems as though it's worth it to them. Don't project your opinion on everyone else please.

If enough people feel it's not 'worth it', then maybe it won't be 'worth it' for CB to tour. Until then, it's only rock and roll but they like it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 14, 2014 18:11

bv
But to sit at home and complain about what OTHER old people are doing, that is the REAL GRYMPY version of getting old I think.

LOL. I will have a drink to that one smileys with beer Cheers Bjornulf

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 14, 2014 18:13

Sighunt
I feel sad that a family member who posts on this site is reading this stuff

I can only agree with this comment.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 14, 2014 20:32

I love Chuck's music, no matter what. However, there were big trouble during his recent visit in Denmark.

This is from www.dr.dk, the danish national television website:

The trip did not go quite easily. Chuck Berry made several stops along the way, first at a gas station where he went in, threw everyone out, and banned other entering. He also called, for unknown reasons, the Randers Police.
The people who were with him got with some difficulty, him back in the car. However, it were not long before he again had stopped the car and went his way along the ring road.
-The hunt is on for three hours, Chuck Berry goes well five or six kilometers, finally they get him into the car during violent protest, and they arrive at the Hotel Royal, says Carsten Ortmann.
Here refuses Chuck Berry then to avail of the ' Madonna-suite ', as he is offered, and he puts it so petulant in the lobby. Here he falls asleep, and are eventually worn up in his room.
Carsten Ortmann points out that Chuck Berry may have these starstruck behaviours because he through his life has experienced so much frustration with rasicm.

Date: April 14, 2014 20:53

Sounds like Chuck Berry has got the rebel attitude of a rock'n roll star still.

I will be very honest about this: If Mick, Keith, Charlie or Ronnie went solo and decided to visit Oslo at age 87, I would go. I would pay for the ticket and go. Just to be there. Just to see one of my heroes who have been around in my life since I was a kid. If they came at age 97 and was on stage for 5 minutes only I would still go.

You never turn your back to legends, family and friends. It is my priority. Same with Chuck Berry fans. Who am I to say Chuck Berry should not tour? As long as his fans want to see him and enjoy the shows then I am happy for them. I don't see any reason why he should quit touring as long as he enjoy himself and as long as people want to see him.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 14, 2014 21:07

thumbs up

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: April 14, 2014 21:46

treaclefingers
michaelsavage
Stoneburst

agreed!

Who determines whether something is 'worth it'? You?

For the majority of the audience, it seems as though it's worth it to them. Don't project your opinion on everyone else please.

If enough people feel it's not 'worth it', then maybe it won't be 'worth it' for CB to tour. Until then, it's only rock and roll but they like it.

A rule to live by....

You get what you pay for

and as W.C. Fields said....

There's a sucker born every minute !!!!!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 14, 2014 21:47

dcba
Stoneburst

...a duckwalk?

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:01

Think BV has a point, nobody is forcing you to go to his show?

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:05

Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie should view this video as what they call

A TEACHABLE MOMENT

when its over Its OVER !!

Sorry Yogi

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:15

<<and as W.C. Fields said....

There's a sucker born every minute !!!!!
>>

Actually, the saying dates back to the mid-1800s, and has been mistakenly attributed to circus showman P. T. Barnum, propagated no doubt through the help of the 1980 Broadway musical on Barnum in which the phrase is uttered in the first line of the opening song, but was most likely first uttered by someone who had just had unsatisfactory business dealings in relation to Barnum. The phrase first appeared in print in 1885, and a variation appeared as early as 1806 in The European Magazine and London Review: "....there vash von fool born every minute."

It was the observation of one of the tribe of Levi, to whom some person had expressed his astonishment at his being able to sell his damaged and worthless commodities, “That there vash von fool born every minute.” And perhaps the calculation might be brought to the proof, that not more than fifty men of genius are born in half a century.
--from “Essay on False Genius”, Vol. XLIX, p. 26, January 1806. [books.google.com]

So it was already a part of the popular lexicon by the time W. C. Fields said it, whenever that was.

[quoteinvestigator.com]

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 14, 2014 22:37

I think the great Chuck Berry still has the spirit…but those close to him have to let him know a time has come.

Date: April 15, 2014 00:09

MKjan
I think the great Chuck Berry still has the spirit…but those close to him have to let him know a time has come.

Exactly. He needs to stop. His legacy is being impacted.

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: April 15, 2014 00:30

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 15, 2014 00:51

I agree with Björnulf among others, it is CHUCK BERRY!!!!

He can do what he wants, he IS Rock N Roll. I saw him twice in 2007 and he was great and if some people Think they gonna get a performer who act and sounds like a 25-year old when he is 87, then they are proper w****rs.

I pray for Mr Berry to perform on stage 'til the day he does not want to do it anymore.

Let the man be and just enjoy the Beautiful World he and other fantastic people have provided for us.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:13

MadMax

He can do what he wants, he IS Rock N Roll. I saw him twice in 2007 and he was great and if some people Think they gonna get a performer who act and sounds like a 25-year old when he is 87, then they are proper w****rs.

I pray for Mr Berry to perform on stage 'til the day he does not want to do it anymore.

Let the man be and just enjoy the Beautiful World he and other fantastic people have provided for us.

Yes, we have understood your point. He is Chuck Berry and he can do what he wants. But that is still not the point. The point is that the artistry is not acceptable to a lot of people.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:16

Blueranger
MadMax

Yes, we have understood your point. He is Chuck Berry and he can do what he wants. But that is still not the point. The point is that the artistry is not acceptable to a lot of people.

Then those people shouldn't go to his concert. THAT is the point.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:18

Blueranger
MadMax

thumbs up

No problem that he wants to play ...so I agree "to perform on stage 'til the day he does not want to do it anymore" as long it's for free..........Oke I will pay 10 bucks for the band

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:19

It's a very vocal and very small minority here leading the outrage. It costs, what, $35 to see him at Blueberry Hill? And the PBRs are $3 when you get there? I've spent more on crappy dinners on a Monday, and I've been less happy with shows that cost more. Every show sells out, everyone has fun (Chuck first and foremost), and it's an awesome venue. I've been twice and never gave a second thought about whether I was seeing the 25 year old Chuck or the 87 year old Chuck. If anything it was the latter, in appreciation of being able to see this guy entertain in such a setting. This is a dark corner of the internet where these curmudgeons get off. I'm sad to think that people were saying the same things about Les Paul, John Lee Hooker, etc, all of whom I saw and enjoyed later in their lives.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:33

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:41

michaelsavage
MKjan

Exactly. He needs to stop. His legacy is being impacted.

Well, when someone behaves so offensive for more then 50 years it has an impact on the memories I have regarding his songs. There is hardly anything nice about the man. It's not just bad performing for 35 years or so...there's the child-abuse charges (convicted; he served 1 1/2 years in prison) and after that when he had his restaurant he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathroom. When the police did a raid on his house they did find videotapes of women using the restroom (one of the women was a minor). It was never proven in court and Chuck opted for a class action settlement with 59 women...

And what happened with Johnnie Johnson? It was Johnnie's band to begin with! He owed everything to Johnnie and he really liked playing and writing with Johnnie...yet every song was a Berry song.
Johnnie co-wrote some 50 songs with Chuck but never got credits so Johnnie finally sued Chuck in 2000. But the case was dismissed when the judge ruled that too much time had passed since the songs were written...

Chuck never said sorry for anything.

I like those 25 songs or so that made history.
But I can hardly listen to them anymore.
Because to me Chuck really isn't great at all.

Date: April 15, 2014 01:43

NICOS
Blueranger
MadMax

thumbs up

No problem that he wants to play ...so I agree "to perform on stage 'til the day he does not want to do it anymore" as long it's for free..........Oke I will pay 10 bucks for the band

We who don't attend the shows can't sit in our chairs and complain about the fans who want to pay for seeing him, can we

I doubt many of the negative comments here in this thread are made out of empathy for the fans who pay for the shows smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home