Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 10, 2014 12:43

Chuck Berry is a grown up person. He is free to do whatever he likes. If he likes to tour then great. If people come to the shows then great. If nobody is coming he will take the hint.

The real problem is that some people always have to be negative. Don't do this. Don't do that. Don't drink beer. Don't see Chuck Berry. Don't like the mother. Don't like the daughter. May be like the brother. Too many don't do this and don't do that.

Go Chuck go go go!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:51

..... how about "don't be negative" ???

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 10, 2014 16:03

Rolling Hansie
..... how about "don't be negative" ???

How are people meant to react to video clips like those posted in this thread?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 10, 2014 18:58

Video clips and sound are often misleading I don't judge, for instance, Keith Richards, by a video clip. Only in live performance when I have a good view of the stage or on record.

Often the audience will love a song or performance by assorted bands and think it's "best ever"...

BUT after the show the band itself is groaning. "Well that was a mess tonight." or a guitar player is apologizing to his bandmates, "I screwed up..."

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 10, 2014 21:58

Stoneburst
How are people meant to react to video clips like those posted in this thread?

I don't know. You can always choose to not react at all

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 11, 2014 01:09

I'm quite surprised by the defenders of Chuck's people continuing to promote this man who is no longer capable of performing. I've dealt with dementia from my closest family members and there is a point where the proper thing is to make choices for their well being. These are painful decisions and often those closest can not fully see the decline as it is gradual at the start. I am certain fans at these shows are enjoying the spectacle of this once great performer, seeing him as a circus act, a laughing stock; the forever angry guitar pioneer now reduced to a lawn jockey with a 355 around his neck.. Those of you that dare to be offended by my statement should look first at what's happening here to Mr. Berry on this very day where in America civil rights are being celebrated, Imagine Mick singing "Tumblin Dice" to "Route 66", no one here would call that Mick's choice, Keith, Charlie, Ron would pull the plug because there is love in this organization, Chuck is too ill to play, perhaps his condition is somewhat reversible, his people should be following that course and we as witnesses have every right to demand he's treated justly and not be exploited and abused, Chuck as any man is entitled to dignity and respect, we should all be battling for this for him not as BV implies for his right to be a fool for yuppies. I can promise you this, I will send a video clip to social services in whatever county Berry lives in because I suspect what's happening to this man is way uglier below the surface

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-11 01:17 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2014 01:22

DoomandGloom
I'm quite surprised by the defenders of Chuck's people continuing to promote this man who is no longer capable of performing. I've dealt with dementia from my closest family members and there is a point where the proper thing is to make choices for their well being. These are painful decisions and often those closest can not fully see the decline as it is gradual at the start. I am certain fans at these shows are enjoying the spectacle of this once great performer, seeing him as a circus act, a laughing stock; the forever angry guitar pioneer now reduced to a lawn jockey with a 355 around his neck.. Those of you that dare to be offended by my statement should look first at what's happening here to Mr. Berry on this very day where in America civil rights are being celebrated, Imagine Mick singing "Tumblin Dice" to "Route 66", no one here would call that Mick's choice, Keith, Charlie, Ron would pull the plug because there is love in this organization, Chuck is too ill to play, perhaps his condition is somewhat reversible, his people should be following that course and we as witnesses have every right to demand he's treated justly and not be exploited and abused, Chuck as any man is entitled to dignity and respect, we should all be battling for this for him not as BV implies for his right to be a fool for yuppies. I can promise you this, I will send a video clip to social services in whatever county Berry lives in because I suspect what's happening to this man is way uglier below the surface

Well, I hope you're not right because that would be very sad. It's obvious that the skills have diminished...I'd hope he's just enjoying himself out there. People going to the gig should have a clue of what to expect.

I don't think though that there's anything wrong with him doing it provided it's his own choice, with full capacity.

I suppose that if everything is actually ok, it should survive any scrutiny by social services.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 11, 2014 03:51

I believe Chuck's #1 concern is the money. Hence trotting out the contract on-stage and demanding to be paid in cash before starting the show. Even on Hail Hail we know that he booked another gig the night before filming, busted his voice and had to overdub all the vocals for the entire performance. The guy is a legend, but also a legendary jerk and money-hungry to the point of seeming petty.

He can do whatever he wants, including charging people to hear him 'play' if you call it that. I only regret being born in '83, so I was unable to hear him at his peak.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2014 03:54

flacnvinyl
I believe Chuck's #1 concern is the money. Hence trotting out the contract on-stage and demanding to be paid in cash before starting the show. Even on Hail Hail we know that he booked another gig the night before filming, busted his voice and had to overdub all the vocals for the entire performance. The guy is a legend, but also a legendary jerk and money-hungry to the point of seeming petty.

He can do whatever he wants, including charging people to hear him 'play' if you call it that. I only regret being born in '83, so I was unable to hear him at his peak.

You won't regret it when the rest of us are dead (hopefully from old age!)

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:17

"Værket" in Randers, Denmark yesterday.
Unfortunately as sad as expected...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:23

Oh my.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:37

I'd go in a heartbeat if I got the chance. Not particularly to hear him play, but to see him defy what's accepted as "normal". Yes he is too old and he has big trouble playing. He played in Denmark this week, and Chuck himself said in response to an applause that "It can't be the music you're clapping at", and apologized for the low standard. No it's not the music we're clapping at Chuck. It's YOU. We're paying for a ticket to say "Thank you. We love you".

That's how I feel about it anyway.
Gold rings on Chuck Berry. I'd give a lot just to shake his hand and say thank you.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:38

Blueranger
"Værket" in Randers, Denmark yesterday.
Unfortunately as sad as expected...

[/quote

What a sad and horrible joke, that old man should not be any were near a stage anymore.

Date: April 13, 2014 23:44

JumpingKentFlash
I'd go in a heartbeat if I got the chance. Not particularly to hear him play, but to see him defy what's accepted as "normal". Yes he is too old and he has big trouble playing. He played in Denmark this week, and Chuck himself said in response to an applause that "It can't be the music you're clapping at", and apologized for the low standard. No it's not the music we're clapping at Chuck. It's YOU. We're paying for a ticket to say "Thank you. We love you".

Gold rings on Chuck Berry. I'd give a lot just to shake his hand and say thank you.

Then how about doing a 'meet and greet' instead? If I had the chance to meet him, thank him and shake his hand, I would do it.
It's beyond words how sad it has become to watch him on stage.

Date: April 13, 2014 23:46

And by the way:
Chuck is old and probably feels it every waken moment. Music is most likely a big factor for him personally. True he can't play, but as long as he feels it, he is able to put his age behind him. Just look at this video and see what music can do to people.

[youtu.be]

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 13, 2014 23:50

Blueranger
JumpingKentFlash

Then how about doing a 'meet and greet' instead? If I had the chance to meet him, thank him and shake his hand, I would do it.

See my post above. I'd wager that music is part of what keeps him alive. I'm not defending his playing at all, but if he likes it, if he feels like doing it and if people are still paying to see him then why the hell not? You'd do the same if you were him.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 14, 2014 00:04

JumpingKentFlash
Blueranger
JumpingKentFlash

See my post above. I'd wager that music is part of what keeps him alive. I'm not defending his playing at all, but if he likes it, if he feels like doing it and if people are still paying to see him then why the hell not? You'd do the same if you were him.

People who attended the concert in Denmark yesterday, walked out during the performance. People who have bought tickets are obviously fooled to believe that the man still have his chops. During the performance, Chuck even called out his booker on to the stage to apologize Chuck's own performance. How bizzare is that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-14 00:05 by Blueranger.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:02

Sorry but this is horrible. He's clearly too old and I dont understand why he has to perform.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:03

Here we go again...

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 14, 2014 01:53

After Chuck's performance in this Denmark video we're now getting very close to the point that we should ask ourselves what's rock and roll; Chuck's performance or how people like cb2 will say it's such a good thing Chuck is still playing?

Because like BV I'm a grown up person so I have to warn you (just following bv's guidelines here!) and say to you; don't be so negative to think this is rock and roll! Don't believe this is rock and roll! Don't assume this is rock and roll!
And don't tell anyone this is rock and roll! In fact; don't even tell anyone this used to be rock and roll...

Because that really would be so negative!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:07

There should be a warning label on all tickets purchased for this current tour:

"Enter at your own risk"

While alot of us may be aware of his diminished skills, there are many who don't...
hence people walking out of the shows feeling ripped off.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:39

flacnvinyl
I had heard enough stories from fellow fans about him not caring at all during the gig, sloppy playing and that he was dismissive of the fans before/after the gig.

Keith said the main reason he did Hail Hail Rock N' Roll was that Chuck never rehearsed for any of his shows and only hired pick-up musicians in the cities where he played. Keith wanted to get Chuck to actually rehearse with a band before a gig. Even in some 60s or 70s Stones book (maybe S.T.P.) Keith and one or more other Stones see Chuck perform in L.A., and they're disappointed that Chuck seems to care so little about his performance. This is way back. So where now do decades' old habits stop and age take over? (Parts of a clip above were decent, just not all parts. If he could carry that through a whole song, maybe...)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:03

I saw Chuck in the early 70s--he did about 45 minutes, most of which consisted of variations on My Ding-a-Ling. Pretty dire. Then for just a song or two, including Johnny B Goode, he hit a groove and that was enough for us. We'd spent what for us was a fortune at the time, and we forgot all the reasons we had to feel legitamately ripped off, and just went away euphoric that we'd heard a few minutes of prime legendary CB. That's the glass-half-full view from here. I hear what y'all are saying about his current performances, but maybe the people at these shows can take pleasure in those few flashes of his earlier genius. Especially as he's obviously enjoying himself, or he seemed to be in those videos.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:29

I was fortunate to see him at the Santa Monica Civic c.1983, and while he did have a hired pick-up band, the show seemed to go well enough.
I remember a bunch of fans onstage during the encore...don't remember whether they were invited up or just jumped onstage, but it was quite a celebration!

I don't want to ridicule or belittle the current state-of-Chuck as he is today, but it does seem rather sad.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 14, 2014 03:46

I subscribe to the PETA newsletter and so get many videos of turkeys being boiled alive, horses being slaughtered, etc. This might actually be worse. Wow.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 14, 2014 04:24

Guys, guys, y'all are being negative in this thread.

Date: April 14, 2014 04:46

Title5Take1
flacnvinyl
I had heard enough stories from fellow fans about him not caring at all during the gig, sloppy playing and that he was dismissive of the fans before/after the gig.

Keith said the main reason he did Hail Hail Rock N' Roll was that Chuck never rehearsed for any of his shows and only hired pick-up musicians in the cities where he played. Keith wanted to get Chuck to actually rehearse with a band before a gig. Even in some 60s or 70s Stones book (maybe S.T.P.) Keith and one or more other Stones see Chuck perform in L.A., and they're disappointed that Chuck seems to care so little about his performance. This is way back. So where now do decades' old habits stop and age take over? (Parts of a clip above were decent, just not all parts. If he could carry that through a whole song, maybe...)

EXACTLY. I own the super-duper-amazing-deluxe version of Hail Hail and cherish it deeply. Chuck comes across as a complete jerk, and he is, but that is his right. Keith is his usual self in a lot of ways and very raw. For the most part everything is pretty real. I just wish I could see all 12 takes of every song from the main concert!

Chuck ditched Johnnie Johnson in the early 70s. I believe his stint in jail made him more bitter and greedy. If the promoter is required to provide everything, and he is only required to provide one alive Chuck Berry, then it makes payroll very easy. Who cares whether the fans get a good show or not!

This thread is negative because a hero of the rocknroll community is embarassing himself publicly. I would have walked out of most of the gigs post 2005. Back in 97 at my first show (St. Louis TWA Dome PPV) I was hoping that they would bring out CHUCK BERRY!! Little Queenie with Chuck Berry would have been a DREAM! Can you imagine how terrible it would have been to have him as a guest on the CURRENT tour?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 14, 2014 05:56

As a member of the "rocknroll community," I don't know of any perfect music heroes.

Date: April 14, 2014 06:06

stonesrule
As a member of the "rocknroll community," I don't know of any perfect music heroes.

Do any of your imperfect music heroes charge money and play this bad...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:35

And my point is that it is really horrible to see a man fall this bad. He's not just a grown up he's very old and probably suffering from some illness that comes with age. That's ok, he is still Chuck Berry. But to see him exposed on stage like this is just humiliating. I guess that's why people leave during the concerts. Not because it's "sloppy" but becuase the artist simply cannot play guitar anymore.

And this is said with all due respect CBII. Your father is who he is and most of us if not all think of him as the man who created rock n roll.

I'd love to see every piece of music from Hail Hail rock n roll (1986), every take, "mistake" and note from the concert. And yes, every version of one of the most innovative and probably ripped off rock n roll songs ever:

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home