Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:03

JumpinJeppeFlash
Happy24
It is absolutely ridiculous that some people demand that someone should not work. I don't understand why people here get so angry about the fact that somebody sells something that others clearly want to buy. CB is long past his prime, that is clear, but the logic of the argument that he must quit and stay at home because some people here don't find his performance worth it is twisted.

Based on the same logic I demand that all people without whose work the society could live and whose work is really not worth the money they are getting for it stay voluntarily at home and stop recieving their sallary. My estimate is that about 80% of people in US and Europe would be unemployed then. I wonder how many of those people here that demand CB's retirement should quit their jobs based on this logic they so passionately express here.

Plus what CB does is based on market, he takes care of himself. He doesn't get state salary for doing absolutely redundant or often even counterproductive job as millions of state employees do. I find that much more disturbing than the fact that some musician sells tickets to his shows that don't live up to the standard he set 60 years ago.

He can work with whatever he wants, but he should not be on a stage anymore because he can't play and he is making a fool of himself, people are laughing at the old man and that is not funny. Not everyone knows what CB has done in the past and will remember him as a clown who can't play.

Exactly right!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:09

stonesrule
It's clear that a number of people here don't like or respect Chuck Berry or "old people."

This thread is a drag.

Really? In a gerontocracy it would make perfect sense to smile and applaud this out of respect. Ticket buyers get refunds and the show was described as a train wreck in Jyllandsposten. Yes, he's free to tour but what exactly is it you pay for? A Meet and greet would be better imo.

Date: April 17, 2014 19:39

He really should stop

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:41

treaclefingers
JumpinJeppeFlash
treaclefingers
JumpinJeppeFlash
Happy24
It is absolutely ridiculous that some people demand that someone should not work. I don't understand why people here get so angry about the fact that somebody sells something that others clearly want to buy. CB is long past his prime, that is clear, but the logic of the argument that he must quit and stay at home because some people here don't find his performance worth it is twisted.

Based on the same logic I demand that all people without whose work the society could live and whose work is really not worth the money they are getting for it stay voluntarily at home and stop recieving their sallary. My estimate is that about 80% of people in US and Europe would be unemployed then. I wonder how many of those people here that demand CB's retirement should quit their jobs based on this logic they so passionately express here.

Plus what CB does is based on market, he takes care of himself. He doesn't get state salary for doing absolutely redundant or often even counterproductive job as millions of state employees do. I find that much more disturbing than the fact that some musician sells tickets to his shows that don't live up to the standard he set 60 years ago.

He can work with whatever he wants, but he should not be on a stage anymore because he can't play and he is making a fool of himself, people are laughing at the old man and that is not funny. Not everyone knows what CB has done in the past and will remember him as a clown who can't play.

Point to anyone who is laughing at him. Your grasping as straws to fill out your pathetic and incredibly disrespectful argument.

Incredibly disrespectful?

It's people like you who can't handle the truth.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the ability isn't diminished. How we choose to discuss it varies incredibly.

You've taken it upon yourself to describe him as "a clown you can't play". That I think is incredibly disrespectful.

Is that how you describe Keith's diminishing ability as well, or are you more selective in your criticism?

Compared to CB Keith is a master player these days, it says a lot about your music ears and knowledge when you compare Keiths guitar skills these days with CB. It´s two different worlds and if you don´t hear or understand that you must be totally untalented regarding guitar based music.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 17, 2014 22:50

bv
If you buy a ticket to a concert then it is your responsibility to understand what sort of show that is. By reading reviews, being a fan or by talking to friends. Never in my life I have purchased a ticket BLIND i.e. to a band or an artist I know nothing about.
Loosen up and try that some time. Just go to a show of some dudes you never ever heard about. And be surprised.
Last week, I went to see Jambinai. A korean band.
They were pretty cool. And I had never read reviews, and never heard their music.

bv
It is possible to be ignorant and stupid in this world. If you are afraid of doing a bad investment then stay at home and watch free television, or take a walk. Life is full of surprises.
Exactly. Just give yourself a surprise now and then.
And if the band you never heard is really bad, then just walk out and have a beer elsewhere.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 18, 2014 03:29

michaelsavage
He really should stop

Should The Stones stop? Should McCartney? How about The Who? I can tell you that for some people when they stop doing what they love its a death sentence. We are all of us in uncharted territory with Rock and Roll. This is the first generation of rockers to get to be elderly, let alone pensioners. Chuck, L Richard, JL Lewis, B.B.King... no one will stop until they are quite dead. Bo Diddley, Carl Perkins or even Elvis, not one of them stopped until they were stone dead.
People try to stop. Christine McVie, Bill Wyman, John Lennon, Brian May, Mose Allison, PJ Proby, Phil Collins and they all come crawling back. It's the nature of the beast. Now, Eric Clapton is going to 'retire from touring' next year. I wish him good luck.
Year after year from now until the end expect more of the same.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2014 03:49

JumpinJeppeFlash
treaclefingers
JumpinJeppeFlash
treaclefingers
JumpinJeppeFlash
Happy24

Point to anyone who is laughing at him. Your grasping as straws to fill out your pathetic and incredibly disrespectful argument.

Incredibly disrespectful?

It's people like you who can't handle the truth.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the ability isn't diminished. How we choose to discuss it varies incredibly.

You've taken it upon yourself to describe him as "a clown you can't play". That I think is incredibly disrespectful.

Is that how you describe Keith's diminishing ability as well, or are you more selective in your criticism?

Compared to CB Keith is a master player these days, it says a lot about your music ears and knowledge when you compare Keiths guitar skills these days with CB. It´s two different worlds and if you don´t hear or understand that you must be totally untalented regarding guitar based music.

So you're saying that when Keith gets to that level of diminished capacity, you'll call him a clown?

Admonishing me for being totally 'untalented regarding guitar based music' is an interesting comment given you don't know anything about me, and doesn't address what I was commenting on, which wasn't Chuck or Keith, or their playing, but rather the way you choose to bash these people when they don't meet your criteria (which really has nothing to do with you in the first place, because you didn't pay for a ticket to the show, correct? - if you did, just ask for your money back, I'm sure they'd pay you just to stop talking).

I thought I was being clear on what I thought the issue was...perhaps your experiencing a bit of diminished capacity yourself?

Don't worry, I'm not going to get mad at you, I'll just be happy to explain it again if you need it.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:13

Regardless of his playing ability, it would be good to get an insider's account of his *reported* meltdown shortly after his arrival in Denmark, including:

- entering a gas station, kicking everyone out, preventing people from getting in, and calling the cops;
- storming out of the car and walking 5-6 km along a busy road before he's bundled back in again;
- refusing his hotel room, and falling asleep in the lobby.

It's too easy to write this off to "classic Chuck behaviour."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:39

DeanGoodman
Regardless of his playing ability, it would be good to get an insider's account of his *reported* meltdown shortly after his arrival in Denmark, including:

- entering a gas station, kicking everyone out, preventing people from getting in, and calling the cops;
- storming out of the car and walking 5-6 km along a busy road before he's bundled back in again;

very sad if this is all true.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:40

DeanGoodman

Have you seen the deluxe version of Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll, the features on the bonus disc where the filmmaker and crew describe their accounts of CB's eccentric behavior? What you outline in your bullet points don't sound so outrageous, compared to the off-screen Hail! Hail! moments as told by the film crew. What you describe as a "meltdown" is just CB being CB, and shows that evidently he is just the same as he always was. In life, genius and eccentricity are companion travelers. Besides, who cares if he falls asleep in a hotel lobby or goes for a walk in traffic? Will this affect how your next listening experience of Maybellene plays out?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 18, 2014 05:38

stonehearted

Have you seen the deluxe version of Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll, the features on the bonus disc where the filmmaker and crew describe their accounts of CB's eccentric behavior? What you outline in your bullet points don't sound so outrageous, compared to the off-screen Hail! Hail! moments as told by the film crew. What you describe as a "meltdown" is just CB being CB, and shows that evidently he is just the same as he always was. In life, genius and eccentricity are companion travelers. Besides, who cares if he falls asleep in a hotel lobby or goes for a walk in traffic? Will this affect how your next listening experience of Maybellene plays out?

Yes. I interviewed Taylor Hackford at length (full transcript is online), and learned the deluxe DVD barely scratches the surface of the nuttiness that occurred.

Hopefully the Danish meltdown was just more nuttiness, but it could be symptomatic of a greater malaise. As I said, it would be good to find out what really happened - and why.

Chuck could join al Qaeda or Nickelback, and it wouldn't influence my eternal gratitude for and appreciation of his genius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-18 05:54 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2014 05:56

PTownshend
michaelsavage
He really should stop

Should The Stones stop? Should McCartney? How about The Who? I can tell you that for some people when they stop doing what they love its a death sentence. We are all of us in uncharted territory with Rock and Roll. This is the first generation of rockers to get to be elderly, let alone pensioners. Chuck, L Richard, JL Lewis, B.B.King... no one will stop until they are quite dead. Bo Diddley, Carl Perkins or even Elvis, not one of them stopped until they were stone dead.
People try to stop. Christine McVie, Bill Wyman, John Lennon, Brian May, Mose Allison, PJ Proby, Phil Collins and they all come crawling back. It's the nature of the beast. Now, Eric Clapton is going to 'retire from touring' next year. I wish him good luck.

Grace Slick is one who has retired successfully from the rock and roll circus.
Evidently she is now somewhat of an accomplished/successful visual artist, but based on the quotes below I think she may have a couple of screws loose.

A couple of quotes attributed to her:

"all rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire"
-GS, 1998

"you can do jazz, classical, blues, opera, country until you're 150, but rap and rock and roll are really a way for young people to get that anger out"
-GS, 2007

and:

"it's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have".
-GS, 2007

"We built this city on rock and roll..................." cool smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: April 18, 2014 08:40

Hairball
Evidently she is now somewhat of an accomplished/successful visual artist, but based on the quotes below I think she may have a couple of screws loose.

She's a live wire for sure, and has some other quotes that suggest a loose screw. But these quotes make sense, at least for her. If you're that emotionally disconnected from songs you have to sing, and you therefore don't want to sing them, then don't, if only for your peace of mind. If I were in her place and could still belt out great songs that have stood the test of time, I would belt them out. But I like and respect her take on it.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 18, 2014 09:55

PTownshend

I can tell you that for some people when they stop doing what they love its a death sentence. We are all of us in uncharted territory with Rock and Roll. This is the first generation of rockers to get to be elderly, let alone pensioners.

Yes yes yes yes yes! And thus there is no "should" in this whole scenario!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 18, 2014 13:06

Please keep ON TOPIC i.e. Chuck Berry - or else I will be going mad with my magnum DELETE button handy. And of course no political comments. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2014 18:13

carlorossi
Hairball

She's a live wire for sure, and has some other quotes that suggest a loose screw. But these quotes make sense, at least for her. If you're that emotionally disconnected from songs you have to sing, and you therefore don't want to sing them, then don't, if only for your peace of mind. If I were in her place and could still belt out great songs that have stood the test of time, I would belt them out. But I like and respect her take on it.

Agreed, I do have respect for her sticking to her guns, and I doubt we'll ever see a "comeback tour" from her unlike so many others.
Additionally, respect should go go out to Chuck Berry as well for soldiering on regardless of his "diminished" skills, although I won't be paying him to see him.
Long live the King of Rock and Roll! thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 18, 2014 23:21

Congratulations to Chuck Berry for reaching 8 pages smileys with beer Cheers mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:55

Apologies for posting this here, but someone in this thread said pages ago that Glen Campbell shouldn't be touring anymore either. I saw Campbell on his last tour, he looked healthy and he still sang and played really well. It was a wonderful concert and it was sweet to see his children on stage with him. They were clearly looking out for him and guiding him when he made a few missteps. He looked healthy and happy and it was inspiring to see him doing what he loved even if he needed a little help. Maybe I just got to see him on a particularly good night, but I'm so glad I did get to see him before it was too late. Something to keep in mind about Chuck Berry touring.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:59

Keep rocking Mr Chuck Berry!!!

Date: April 19, 2014 22:41

latebloomer
Apologies for posting this here, but someone in this thread said pages ago that Glen Campbell shouldn't be touring anymore either. I saw Campbell on his last tour, he looked healthy and he still sang and played really well. It was a wonderful concert and it was sweet to see his children on stage with him. They were clearly looking out for him and guiding him when he made a few missteps. He looked healthy and happy and it was inspiring to see him doing what he loved even if he needed a little help. Maybe I just got to see him on a particularly good night, but I'm so glad I did get to see him before it was too late. Something to keep in mind about Chuck Berry touring.

[www.billboard.com]

Yes but it's already too late to hear and see Mr Berry play the songs we all know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-19 22:41 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2014 00:07

Redhotcarpet
latebloomer

[www.billboard.com]

Yes, because he can't play anymore.

Yes but it's already too late to hear and see Mr Berry play the songs we all know.

Date: April 22, 2014 23:59

PTownshend
michaelsavage
He really should stop

Miss the point, Chuck is a total embarrassment.

Date: April 23, 2014 00:00

Hairball
PTownshend
michaelsavage
He really should stop

A couple of quotes attributed to her:

"all rock-and-rollers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire"
-GS, 1998

"you can do jazz, classical, blues, opera, country until you're 150, but rap and rock and roll are really a way for young people to get that anger out"
-GS, 2007

and:

"it's silly to perform a song that has no relevance to the present or expresses feelings you no longer have".
-GS, 2007

"We built this city on rock and roll..................." cool smiley

..and we care about HER because? Her relevancy ended about 1968

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:28

People have been complaining about Keef's playing for years now and justifiably so as he was hit or miss during ABB and the recent U.S. tour based on the shows I have seen the bootlegs I have listened to but IMHO it does not detract from his legacy.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 23, 2014 01:28

oldschool
People have been complaining about Keef's playing for years now and justifiably so as he was hit or miss during ABB and the recent U.S. tour based on the shows I have seen the bootlegs I have listened to but IMHO it does not detract from his legacy.

To put Keith's current playing in the same boat as Chuck's current playing is absolutely ludicrous.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 23, 2014 02:07

From THE INDEPENDENT, TUESDAY 22 APRIL 2014

Why musicians play into their old age

Nick Hasted looks at how they are driven by a burning desire to keep on entertaining fans despite risking ridicule

In a Somerset farmhouse in February, I watched Jet Black, 75, try to force his bulky, broken frame into drumming one more time for The Stranglers on their then looming tour. Suffering from neck, spine, lung and other ailments, even the half hour he hoped to play each night would prove beyond him. But he did play.

The next month, I visited ex-Cream drummer Ginger Baker, 75, at his home outside Canterbury. Ravaged by osteoarthritis and emphysema, lying down to watch cricket on TV was painful enough. But he was preparing to lift drum sticks he confessed sometimes felt like "lead weights" to play again. Last Saturday, John Mayall, the acknowledged "Godfather of British blues", played an 80th birthday gig at Ronnie Scott's, as part of a lengthy world tour. In June, Charles Aznavour will top that with a 90th birthday show at the Royal Albert Hall.

From Leonard Cohen's acclaimed tour last year aged 79 to Chuck Berry, 87, the genuinely elderly are on the road in unprecedented numbers. When even a punk band has to face up to painful old age, why do so many musicians carry on? And what, when their physical capacity is inevitably diminished, do we get from watching them?

"People say I should retire," Black acknowledges. "I have actually, with ill health, reached the situation where I can't do everything I used to do, but I still want to come on and do what I can. And judging by the audience's reactions, they seem to like it." His motivation to press through the pain barrier is clear. "When you get up in the evening and see all those people, all you think about for the next 1½ hours is delivering your best, and if you do, they'll thank you for it. It is the most satisfying thing."

Musicians' addiction to the road and audiences can expose them to embarrassing decline. Sinatra's final years saw him prompted through his most famous songs with a large autocue, in a voice that was a husky shadow of his once impeccable art. The great jazz pianist Oscar Peterson absent-mindedly repeated tunes at his last, sad Albert Hall shows. Last week, BB King, 88, whose "farewell" tour was in 2006 when, though wonderful, he was already diminished by diabetes, apologised to a complaining crowd in St Louis for his erratic performance. Baker and Berry are ghosts of the players they were.

That shouldn't detract from these musicians' achievements at their peak (except perhaps for those mortified fans in attendance). But nor is such infirmity inevitable. Cohen and Aznavour have distilled a lifetime's matchless experience into recent shows, adding to their emotional power. Their tours are a summation, not a sad coda. During Black's brief contributions to the Stranglers' Hammersmith Apollo show in March, his drumming's jazzy swing betrayed pre-rock roots that will be irreplaceable.

Elderly musicians also carry precious treasures of personal and cultural history. David "Honeyboy" Edwards didn't lack for gigs till his death in 2011, aged 96, partly because he was a living link to the blues' most legendary figure, his friend Robert Johnson. A week ago Allen Toussaint, New Orleans' most revered songwriter and arranger, played two nights at Ronnie Scott's. Never primarily a performer anyway, the 75-year-old punctuated his hit "Southern Nights" with a spellbinding evocation of Forties childhood visits to Cajun relatives in a rustic, long-gone Louisiana.

Two years ago, I watched the then 83-year-old Detroit jazz singer Sheila Jordan in a pub back room in south London as she reminisced, between still artful singing, about how Charlie Parker walked into the alley where she was sulking, having been denied entry to see him because she was underage, and played just for her. "Do your thing!" she implored, passing on Parker's encouragement to us.

It's jazz musicians who are already at the advanced age that rock's greats will soon reach, if they're lucky. Watching saxophonist Sonny Rollins at the Barbican in 2012, when he was 80, the truest value of carrying on became clear. Rollins took the stage with a crab-like, sideways shuffle, his spine bent. The long improvisatory flights for which he's famed were shorter now, but still potent. And this man who had permanently proved himself a half-century before goaded himself to do better: "Come on, Sonny, come on!"

Musicians, like actors, loathe leaving the stage. Often, rather than sniggering at assumed senility, we should be grateful. The last act is as much a part of a musical life as its often explosive start. Rollins, fighting his body to find his genius's last reserves, remained great.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 23, 2014 05:34

indeed

Date: April 23, 2014 09:42

On Rollins: "The long improvisatory flights for which he's famed were shorter now, but still potent."

Exactly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 11:27 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: April 23, 2014 10:46

Redhotcarpet
On Parker: "The long improvisatory flights for which he's famed were shorter now, but still potent."

Exactly.

Rollins

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:53

Beast
From THE INDEPENDENT, TUESDAY 22 APRIL 2014

Great article. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home