Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: OT: Chuck Berry European Tour 2014
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:16

JumpingKentFlash
Blueranger
MadMax
I agree with Björnulf among others, it is CHUCK BERRY!!!!

He can do what he wants, he IS Rock N Roll. I saw him twice in 2007 and he was great and if some people Think they gonna get a performer who act and sounds like a 25-year old when he is 87, then they are proper w****rs.

I pray for Mr Berry to perform on stage 'til the day he does not want to do it anymore.

Let the man be and just enjoy the Beautiful World he and other fantastic people have provided for us.

Yes, we have understood your point. He is Chuck Berry and he can do what he wants. But that is still not the point. The point is that the artistry is not acceptable to a lot of people.

Then those people shouldn't go to his concert. THAT is the point.

If the choice is as simple as that, then these people wouldn't be able to tell us what we should be doing or thinking.

Where's the fun in that?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:18

Dreamer
michaelsavage
MKjan
I think the great Chuck Berry still has the spirit…but those close to him have to let him know a time has come.

Exactly. He needs to stop. His legacy is being impacted.

Well, when someone behaves so offensive for more then 50 years it has an impact on the memories I have regarding his songs. There is hardly anything nice about the man. It's not just bad performing for 35 years or so...there's the child-abuse charges (convicted; he served 1 1/2 years in prison) and after that when he had his restaurant he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathroom. When the police did a raid on his house they did find videotapes of women using the restroom (one of the women was a minor). It was never proven in court and Chuck opted for a class action settlement with 59 women...

And what happened with Johnnie Johnson? It was Johnnie's band to begin with! He owed everything to Johnnie and he really liked playing and writing with Johnnie...yet every song was a Berry song.
Johnnie co-wrote some 50 songs with Chuck but never got credits so Johnnie finally sued Chuck in 2000. But the case was dismissed when the judge ruled that too much time had passed since the songs were written...

Chuck never said sorry for anything.

I like those 25 songs or so that made history.
But I can hardly listen to them anymore.
Because to me Chuck really isn't great at all.

Many of our musical/literary/artistic heroes can be found wanting in the ethics department. But the music that he made is separate from his offstage behavior. And I don't think anything he does now will have much impact on his "legacy". It's not the last few years that will be remembered, and I don't feel he, or the Stones, or anyone else, should stop living in the present in case it affects other people's memories of their past. (And Chuck's past is littered with erratic behavior that's not so dissimilar to what people are complaining about now.)

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:32

Dreamer

Well, when someone behaves so offensive for more then 50 years it has an impact on the memories I have regarding his songs. There is hardly anything nice about the man. It's not just bad performing for 35 years or so...there's the child-abuse charges (convicted; he served 1 1/2 years in prison) and after that when he had his restaurant he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathroom. When the police did a raid on his house they did find videotapes of women using the restroom (one of the women was a minor). It was never proven in court and Chuck opted for a class action settlement with 59 women...

And what happened with Johnnie Johnson? It was Johnnie's band to begin with! He owed everything to Johnnie and he really liked playing and writing with Johnnie...yet every song was a Berry song.
Johnnie co-wrote some 50 songs with Chuck but never got credits so Johnnie finally sued Chuck in 2000. But the case was dismissed when the judge ruled that too much time had passed since the songs were written...

You have to get over this. Every artist - every human - is deeply flawed. Even Mother Teresa was a piece of work, according to Chris Hitchens. And Chuck was never a hypocrite about it. BTW, don't believe everything you cut and paste from Wikipedia.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:46

Sorry if I missed it but is there video of people walking out? It seems his biggest problem is remembering the key of the song, the lyrics, and occasionally the controls on the guitar. No biggie. It's always sad to see an icon faltering. Happens to the best of us, if we're lucky.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 15, 2014 09:34

I dont care if anybody buys a ticket or not, I'm commenting on Chuck Berry's performance (art).

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 15, 2014 10:45

DeanGoodman
Dreamer

You have to get over this. Every artist - every human - is deeply flawed. Even Mother Teresa was a piece of work, according to Chris Hitchens. And Chuck was never a hypocrite about it. BTW, don't believe everything you cut and paste from Wikipedia.

No need to worry: I just stopped listening to his music and started listening more to the Stones smiling smiley
I don't mind if the guy or any artist has a few problems; I still like the Stones!
When I see a thread like this I share my opinion: to me there was and is absolutely nothing nice or cheerful about the guy. That's not necessary but with Chuck... it's totally the opposite! For me this behaviour and attitude (for more then 50 years) finally got in the way of listening to his music.

He made his hits together with Johnnie Johnson in the fifties and early sixties. He still behaves liked a jerk for almost 60 years and started playing like sh.t in the early seventies.
At some point I decided to move on: plenty of new music to discover played by so much nicer people.
So how about you getting over it?
Really; a rock and roll attitude and/or way of living is something else.
The facts remain facts no matter how hard a moderator starts to cut and paste his dirty harry lines in trying to force people how to think or feel.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: April 15, 2014 11:03

JumpinJeppeFlash
paulywaul
letitloose
he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Needless to say you'll disagree. Whatever ........... ?

Very much embarrassing i would say, it´s total madness. He can´t play a chord right anymore.

He actually start the same wrong song several times while the bandmembers correct him and that happens often during one concert...so it might would be a good idea to just stop.

Date: April 15, 2014 11:08

Dreamer

At some point I decided to move on: plenty of new music to discover played by so much nicer people.

How do you know, though? It's amazing the skeletons people in the public eye manage to keep hidden. Chuck's are probably no worse than many if not most.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 15, 2014 11:48

Aquamarine
Dreamer

How do you know, though? It's amazing the skeletons people in the public eye manage to keep hidden. Chuck's are probably no worse than many if not most.

By not looking at the same skeletons for too long.
Because if you do you indeed start to believe Chuck's are no worse than others and that he could not influence anything because everything just happened to him...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 11:50 by Dreamer.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:05

tussler
JumpinJeppeFlash
paulywaul
letitloose
he can do what he pleases. And you can part with your money or not. There is something heroic about riding the horse till it throws you. I don't think it diminishes his legacy.

He's always done what he pleases, nothing you or I might ever have said or might yet have to say would ever have had or would ever now alter that ........ so what's your point ?

And I will certainly no longer part with my money to see him nowadays, he has done great to stay playing until now. But I have to disagree with you about the legacy, because in part someone's legacy is what YOU remember of them. I don't wish to remember him as the sad shadow of his once glorious rock n' rollin' self that unfortunately he has become today. What's down on vinyl is one thing, you cannot argue the magnificence of that, but he really ought to bow out of live performances now. It is becoming a little embarrassing.

Needless to say you'll disagree. Whatever ........... ?

Very much embarrassing i would say, it´s total madness. He can´t play a chord right anymore.

He actually start the same wrong song several times while the bandmembers correct him and that happens often during one concert...so it might would be a good idea to just stop.

It happens...if you scarf me up I'll never stop

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:18

Dreamer
michaelsavage
MKjan
I think the great Chuck Berry still has the spirit…but those close to him have to let him know a time has come.

Exactly. He needs to stop. His legacy is being impacted.

Ouch! Well said!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 15, 2014 18:13

There ain't no man righteous...no not one.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 18:55

Some people can separate the art from the artist, some can't.
I admit it's very difficult to do with Chuck.
He really screwed Johnnie Johnson over…..Chuck owed much to him….
and he just left him behind.Ugly.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:00

DoomandGloom
I'm quite surprised by the defenders of Chuck's people continuing to promote this man who is no longer capable of performing. I've dealt with dementia from my closest family members and there is a point where the proper thing is to make choices for their well being. These are painful decisions and often those closest can not fully see the decline as it is gradual at the start. I am certain fans at these shows are enjoying the spectacle of this once great performer, seeing him as a circus act, a laughing stock; the forever angry guitar pioneer now reduced to a lawn jockey with a 355 around his neck.. Those of you that dare to be offended by my statement should look first at what's happening here to Mr. Berry on this very day where in America civil rights are being celebrated, Imagine Mick singing "Tumblin Dice" to "Route 66", no one here would call that Mick's choice, Keith, Charlie, Ron would pull the plug because there is love in this organization, Chuck is too ill to play, perhaps his condition is somewhat reversible, his people should be following that course and we as witnesses have every right to demand he's treated justly and not be exploited and abused, Chuck as any man is entitled to dignity and respect, we should all be battling for this for him not as BV implies for his right to be a fool for yuppies. I can promise you this, I will send a video clip to social services in whatever county Berry lives in because I suspect what's happening to this man is way uglier below the surface

I would feel very sad (and pissed off) if Chuck's handlers were taking advantage of and/or exploited him in this way.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:52

Sighunt
DoomandGloom
I'm quite surprised by the defenders of Chuck's people continuing to promote this man who is no longer capable of performing. I've dealt with dementia from my closest family members and there is a point where the proper thing is to make choices for their well being. These are painful decisions and often those closest can not fully see the decline as it is gradual at the start. I am certain fans at these shows are enjoying the spectacle of this once great performer, seeing him as a circus act, a laughing stock; the forever angry guitar pioneer now reduced to a lawn jockey with a 355 around his neck.. Those of you that dare to be offended by my statement should look first at what's happening here to Mr. Berry on this very day where in America civil rights are being celebrated, Imagine Mick singing "Tumblin Dice" to "Route 66", no one here would call that Mick's choice, Keith, Charlie, Ron would pull the plug because there is love in this organization, Chuck is too ill to play, perhaps his condition is somewhat reversible, his people should be following that course and we as witnesses have every right to demand he's treated justly and not be exploited and abused, Chuck as any man is entitled to dignity and respect, we should all be battling for this for him not as BV implies for his right to be a fool for yuppies. I can promise you this, I will send a video clip to social services in whatever county Berry lives in because I suspect what's happening to this man is way uglier below the surface

I'm not surprised at all so many are defending this madness here, they are simply not talented enough to hear how bad CB is playing. They think it sounds good because it's CB playing and it's pathetic when everyone with a little music ears can hear how bad it is.

I would feel very sad (and pissed off) if Chuck's handlers were taking advantage of and/or exploited him in this way.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:08

Bathroom cams eye popping smiley For real?

Date: April 15, 2014 20:19

MingSubu
Bathroom cams eye popping smiley For real?

what a great idea.smoking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:32

Please leave the law and the legal bit to the governments. If somebody is a criminal then they will be locked up. If they are NOT locked up then please leave it with that. Please do not use IORR to spread rumours. Nobody is perfect. Even the Pope might have some bad habits. But give us a break! This is a thread about Chuck Berry and his "tour" of two or so shows in Europe. Give the man a break!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:02

JumpinJeppeFlash
I'm not surprised at all so many are defending this madness here, they are simply not talented enough to hear how bad CB is playing. They think it sounds good because it's CB playing and it's pathetic when everyone with a little music ears can hear how bad it is.

This is a message board on which a large number of posters regularly insist that Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood are currently in the form of their lives.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:07

Stoneburst
JumpinJeppeFlash

This is a message board on which a large number of posters regularly insist that Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood are currently in the form of their lives.

The organizer of the show in Denmark decided to pay back the tickets - it was to bad a show. Never heard that before.smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 22:08 by mtaylor.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:22

Often on those videoclips it sounds like Chuck is in the wrong key/wrong fret. He should reshearse a little bit and a part of the problem could be solved. It won't be great but at least the promoter won't have to lose money by reumbursing the customers.
Whatever one does,it's essential to be prepared and rehearsed prior to step on a stage. For most of his working life Chuck could get away without a good set up but now at his age he should rethink his strategy.

Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:33

Wasn't it the same with BB King recently - people left the consert.
They should have the notion when to play and when to stop.

In regards to Stones, I guess Mick known when to stop - thank godness.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:48

mtaylor

No, a tabloid wrote that people left the concert. That doesn't really mean it happened. There is a separate thread about it with a link to that absolutely ridiculous article plus an audience video showing that in fact there was nothing really wrong with the performance.

This is the problem - somebody writes an idiotic article and gives it an even more idiotic title. People then only read the title and take it for a fact. And spread it. If it was up to me, I would prohibit this kind of "journalism" by a law. Can't think of one single positive reason why this should exist.

Date: April 15, 2014 22:49

mtaylor

With Mick, I think he meant it when he said if you start me up, I'll never stop.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 15, 2014 22:55

Happy24
mtaylor

No, a tabloid wrote that people left the concert. That doesn't really mean it happened. There is a separate thread about it with a link to that absolutely ridiculous article plus an audience video showing that in fact there was nothing really wrong with the performance.

This is the problem - somebody writes an idiotic article and gives it an even more idiotic title. People then only read the title and take it for a fact. And spread it. If it was up to me, I would prohibit this kind of "journalism" by a law. Can't think of one single positive reason why this should exist.

Actually: BB King Apologizes

In summary: BB & his reps have replied to the poor review from a local (St. Louis) reporter. Major props from me to BB & his team for this.

While I don't have any desire to see Chuck in the state he appears to be in, I still support his right to follow his own heart. Play on Chuck & BB! I may not be there in person, but I'm with you in spirit.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 15, 2014 23:25

Dreamer
Aquamarine
Dreamer

By not looking at the same skeletons for too long.
Because if you do you indeed start to believe Chuck's are no worse than others and that he could not influence anything because everything just happened to him...

What I was saying was, how do you know those other people are so much nicer? Answer--you don't. You just haven't read as much dirt about them. Don't confuse image with the real thing. They may or may not be nicer human beings, they may just have a great PR team, but one thing I can guarantee is they're not perfect.

I don't see anybody suggesting Chuck isn't responsible for his actions.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:26

mr_dja
Actually: BB King Apologizes

Thanks mr_dja for the link, it is interesting.

I was not at the concert, so it is really impossible to judge. The article you posted a link to starts with: "Blues legend B.B. King, whose April 4 concert at Peabody Opera House was the source of international discussion after music writer Daniel Durchholz reviewed his uncomfortable performance, has apologized for that night." and then goes on with an explanation. Well, to call the original article a "review by a music writer" is a huge exaggeration. It was a tabloid article and nothing else. The audience video from the concert shows it was not BB's best night ever, but there was nothing seriously wrong with it either.

The question is, what shall / can an artist do, after some "writer" writes something like that. If he starts to defend himself, it will only attract more attention to the article itself. If he doesn't say anything, he would surely be accused of being selfish and other stuff. To apologise is a thing that will do least harm even if the artist would feel he has nothing to aplogise for. I can easily imagine this might be the case.

Of course one has to think about the Swedish press vs. The Rolling Stones incident after the concert in 2007, when Keith chose to defend the perfomance very strongly :-)

Anyway, here is the thread discussing the performance of B.B. King with links: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 23:29 by Happy24.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:28

mtaylor

No, BB can still play, CB can not, the difference is big.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:45

Thanks Happy24 for inserting the link back to the BB King thread... I looked for it but didn't find it in my quick scan of the first few pages of threads.

It is an interesting question that you bring up regarding what an artist is supposed to do after receiving a negative review. In this example, I know nothing about Daniel Durchholz or who he works for so I wouldn't know if he was legit or tabloid. In these days, when any blogger with an internet connection can present themselves as a "journalist" the lines get more and more blurry.

Overall, I'd have to say that artists who take the "never argue with a fool, a passerby may not be able to tell the difference" are probably doing themselves a favor in the long run. Argueing with one bad review would seem to set you up in a position where you have to argue with all bad reviews or it would seem that you agree with the one's you don't challenge.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:56

Somewhere above, in this mass of insults and nuttiness, JumpinJeppeFlash speaks of IORR posters who "are simply not talented enough" to understand a
"bad performance".

Boy, are we all lucky to have a "master know-it-all" like JJF to point this out. Perhaps he'll condescend to post his musical resume.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home