Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 22 of 26
Re: Abu Dhabi Feb 21 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: February 23, 2014 19:22

piet
Hi,

has anybody already mentioned the massive ticket upgrades that were made for this show?

I can’t remember having read about this in this thread, so this is was happened to us:

My friend and I had tickets for general admission early entry. This meant we could enter the venue at 6.30 as opposed to regular ticket holders who were let in at 7.30. We joined our queue – fire pit and golden circle ticket holders had to enter through a different gate - at about 6.10 with about a hundred people already before us.

At 6.30 the gates were opened and we moved forward. There was absolutely no rush and no pushing. Our tickets were checked by security and then, a few steps further on, without further explanation, wristbands were attached to our arms.

I was surprised as this is not a common practise for general admission, until walking into the venue I noticed that the wristbands were titled “golden circle”. We continued to the front of the general admission area where we saw a small entrance to the golden circle. We showed our band to the security guys who waved us through. The area was still almost empty so we coüld easily find a place almost next to the ramp and right up at the barrier separating us from the fire pit.

So in essence we were upgraded not only to golden circle but to golden circle early entry – tickets that had originally cost more than three times as much as what we had paid. I am pretty certain that the majority with early entry tickets were upgraded in that way.

I had a fire pit ticket with no early entry. The people with early entry stood already in line inside of the fences, but they had not passed the gates into the venue. I was waiting outside the fences, as people of the staff told me.
Suddenly, somebody of the staff opened the fences in front of me, and we (no early entry ticket holders) could walk to the gates, while the early entry ticket holders weren't passed the gates into the venue. So after all, we were in at the same time. I mean: you don't hear me complaining, but this isn't the way it should go.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2014 19:35

zgubi
here is the video summary put together by du with the VIP experience

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, CONGRATULATIONS

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2014 19:41

piet
So in essence we were upgraded not only to golden circle but to golden circle early entry

How wonderful. Oh, how I love these stories. Congratulations Piet

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 23, 2014 20:32

These shows, truthfully since ABB, are not for die hards. Just accept
that they are pure nostalgia and don't expect too many surprises. Staples show
Last year was about as good as it gets.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 23, 2014 21:00

DoomandGloom
bv
I was in the fire pit for the first half of the show. As the stage is at least 3 meters high (10 feet), and even higher in the middle as it is extending into the crowd, all I saw was the heads of Charlie, Keith, all of Ronnie because I was on his side, and all of Mick, because he was all over. I left the fire pit during the show and went into the middle of the crowd for a much better view. I don't know why they charge a high price for the fire pit when it is in fact sort of obstructed view. I have rarely seen such a high stage floor.
My guess, the stage was high and distant because there is more of a security risk and terrorism threat to the band there than any other place they'll play.

My guess is the stage was maybe specific to Abu Dhabi for money reason. The truck in Tokyo display the GRRR feature, so maybe it's a different stage in Tokyo... More a question of logistics.. When they play in Abu Dhabi, the big stage is yet on its way to Japan, etc. So I would expect to see also the "simple" stage in shows like Macau ans Shanghai, while the big one is on its way to Australia... As for the height, it maybe because it was not just tried and precisely measured..... It is a kind of "one shot", raw stage, nothing to compare with the GRRR stage last year... Just a wild guess

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 23, 2014 21:01

Brstonesfan
These shows, truthfully since ABB, are not for die hards. Just accept
that they are pure nostalgia and don't expect too many surprises. Staples show
Last year was about as good as it gets.

But it is so unbelievable that they are still doing this anyway...And still doing it very well, okay not so many rarities, the set list is not so surprising but STILL... I'm very thankful if they will come to Europe even with a set list without WINTER!!!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 23, 2014 21:40

DoomandGloom
My guess, the stage was high and distant because there is more of a security risk and terrorism threat to the band there than any other place they'll play.

Nonsense. An extra foot or 2 doesn't make the band 'safer', it lets the floor seats beyond the pit see the band better. People who wanted to throw their Skittles and bras (or worse) at the band wouldn't be deterred.

Besides, I'd wager the 1978 stage was just as tough to see over up close (in the front row, we had to push backwards to see the band), though you could get very near to it (and then see none of the band). And at the stadium show I saw on the ABB tour, the distance between the front row of seats and the stage lip was the largest I've ever seen, and seemed just as far away as the pics I'm seeing from Du Arena.

Date: February 23, 2014 22:11

I am amazed by the voice improvement of Mick...

I have not heard him singing like that for years.

Date: February 23, 2014 22:26

I am astonished by the voice improvement of Mick...

Date: February 23, 2014 22:27

emotionalbarbecue
I am amazed by the voice improvement of Mick...

I agree, but GS was off key throughout...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 23, 2014 22:47

zgubi
I am still stunned after the show, and in an incredible high from an amazing experience with the Stones and Abu Dhabi alltogether.

I just made it home from Abu Dhabi and will be leaving again in 3 weeks for Australia. I'm putting together a complete report either later today or tomorrow.

However here is the video summary put together by du with the VIP experience, you can see me in the brown jacket.

Safe travels to everyone going to Tokyo or back home!

Thanks for sharing.

Today I found this, a stage view of the crowd at the Abu Dhabi concert:

[www.du.ae]

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 23, 2014 22:57

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, i havent read all 23 pages but as a Manchester City FC fan i wonder if Sheik Mansour was at the show or indeed whether The Stones were given some massive financial incentive to appear in Abu Dhabi. The Sheik has poured over a Billion Pounds into God's own football club transforming us from perennial losers and laughing stock into a Euro Super power. [Barca fans dont laugh! That Ref gave you everything and we will have Aguerro back for the 2nd leg]. He has also spent a fortune on F1 and its all about raising the profile of his state, and of course competing with Dubai.

i wonder whether it was a double payday for Jagger and co?

Date: February 23, 2014 23:03

emotionalbarbecue
I am astonished by the voice improvement of Mick...

In Angie he sounded so good, almost unreal.
(based on video clip)

Re: Abu Dhabi Feb 3 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 23, 2014 23:16

rollingon
Green Lady
Angie:

Jagger sings very well and even went to the "high notes" like in the studio recording, when was the last time he did this, sometimes in the 70s maybe?

thumbs up

He's singing, and looking, fantastic. The band sound so too. From all the clips I've seen so far it really does look like they're on fire. Down under is really in a for a treat. (I was going to say a great send off but who knows with this band?)

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 24, 2014 00:07

They will have to mix it up a little for the 3 Japan shows. I have heard very
little about these shows whereas in the past the Japanese fans adored the
band. Hope they can fill up 3 shows. Venue says 40k - that would be 120 k fans for 3 shows which seems a bit of a stretch these days.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: February 24, 2014 00:13

pmk251
Keith's song writing is hit and miss and sometimes in the same song. But he adds something that Jagger seems completely unable to achieve...Some emotional honesty, tenderness and vulnerability. Even in the self mythopoeic Happy you are touched when he sings "Baby won't you keep me?" His songs are about something. He likes to play with words. Even his rickety voice and guitar playing add to the feeling of genuineness. When he takes the stage with Wood and Taylor it is something extraordinary and unlike anything else in the show. Taylor on backing vocals? Incredible! I would love to know how this came about! Even Taylor senses the need for restraint on this song. His delicate touch is commendable and leaves you wanting more. I look forward to hearing more versions of this song. The performance asks the audience to come to the song. And if you are too busy or too bored...Well f**k you. This is by far the most interesting song in the show.

Couldn't agree with you more! thumbs up

Even though I love Mick to death and have no doubt that he's the best frontman there will ever be Keith performs with so much raw emotion that you just know it comes straight from the heart. I wish he would pull "The Worst" off the shelf again or even "We Had It All".

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 24, 2014 00:25

zgubi

However here is the video summary put together by du with the VIP experience, you can see me in the brown jacket.

Safe travels to everyone going to Tokyo or back home!

One of the things I love about this is that all you winners are young people. smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 24, 2014 00:52

I AGREE WITH THE VERY COOL AQUAMARINE!

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: February 24, 2014 02:16

bv
I was in the fire pit for the first half of the show. As the stage is at least 3 meters high (10 feet), and even higher in the middle as it is extending into the crowd, all I saw was the heads of Charlie, Keith, all of Ronnie because I was on his side, and all of Mick, because he was all over. I left the fire pit during the show and went into the middle of the crowd for a much better view. I don't know why they charge a high price for the fire pit when it is in fact sort of obstructed view. I have rarely seen such a high stage floor.

Hey BV
A few of us Aussies have front row and inside the first 3 rows for Adelaide.
Do you think we will have any probs with the height, or will Adelaide get a stage not as high as Abu Dhabi ?
From some of the pics, vids, and reports it seems that front row was not the place to be for this stadium show.
We have paid top $$ for what should be best seats in house, just hope we can see!

Date: February 24, 2014 10:32

proudmary

This decision - to add Taylor to Richards' set - shows again Mick Jagger's generosity. Knowing Stones fans special feelings for Taylor, Mick is not jealous and does not compete with his bandmates - he actually cares about the quality of the entire show, not only about himself. If someone is KR's fan, loves him and everything he does - for him/her it may be "by far the most interesting song in the show". I, in turn, agree with paulywaul, I do not like Richards vocals - not the voice itself and not the artificial expression - but that's me.

about the "genuine emotions" - tenderness and vulnerability are not the only real "honest" human emotions. Aggression, anger, drive, irony, resentment, humor, you name it - are as "pure" as them.
And. by the way. I do not hear any vulnerability or honesty in this performance of Slipping Away - only the lack of professional skills and posture

I don't think Mick has anything to do with Keith's set at all.

A nice (and well-deserved) gesture by Keith thumbs up

Had Mick wanted to do this, he would have added Taylor on songs he sings himself..

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: February 24, 2014 11:14

DandelionPowderman
proudmary

This decision - to add Taylor to Richards' set - shows again Mick Jagger's generosity. Knowing Stones fans special feelings for Taylor, Mick is not jealous and does not compete with his bandmates - he actually cares about the quality of the entire show, not only about himself. If someone is KR's fan, loves him and everything he does - for him/her it may be "by far the most interesting song in the show". I, in turn, agree with paulywaul, I do not like Richards vocals - not the voice itself and not the artificial expression - but that's me.

about the "genuine emotions" - tenderness and vulnerability are not the only real "honest" human emotions. Aggression, anger, drive, irony, resentment, humor, you name it - are as "pure" as them.
And. by the way. I do not hear any vulnerability or honesty in this performance of Slipping Away - only the lack of professional skills and posture

I don't think Mick has anything to do with Keith's set at all.

A nice (and well-deserved) gesture by Keith thumbs up

Had Mick wanted to do this, he would have added Taylor on songs he sings himself..

exactly.

Date: February 24, 2014 11:19

MrsHop
It's difficult to approach certain topics without upsetting anyone, but I have such mixed feelings about the Stones nowadays. I think the person who commented about the nostalgia aspect & the fact that we MUST be close to the 'final curtain' is pretty much right. I DID feel moved while watching 'Slipping Away', but it wasn't really anything to do with artistic expression. It was made poignent by the nature of the lyrics & the fact that it was being delivered by a frail, elderly Keith. We all get old (if we're lucky), but I found it kind of...sad.
Unrelated to that (& I wasn't there admittedly): I couldn't believe that the crowd just seemed to be milling around, in an almost uninterested way when the band were about to hit the stage for the opener. In fact, most didn't seem that interested once the band were ON the stage.

very well put. how odd that no one has commented that the song "slipping away", recorded in 1989, is about the very thing so many people on this forum are bemoaning - the stones' daring, skills, and relevancy slipping away. the f*cker didn't just see it coming back in 1989, he wrote a song about it. his detractors should at least give him credit for self-awareness and honesty, if nothing else.

Date: February 24, 2014 11:21

stonesrule

Jagger doesn't get a managerial commission.

not for lack of trying, though!

Date: February 24, 2014 11:36

sonomastone
MrsHop
It's difficult to approach certain topics without upsetting anyone, but I have such mixed feelings about the Stones nowadays. I think the person who commented about the nostalgia aspect & the fact that we MUST be close to the 'final curtain' is pretty much right. I DID feel moved while watching 'Slipping Away', but it wasn't really anything to do with artistic expression. It was made poignent by the nature of the lyrics & the fact that it was being delivered by a frail, elderly Keith. We all get old (if we're lucky), but I found it kind of...sad.
Unrelated to that (& I wasn't there admittedly): I couldn't believe that the crowd just seemed to be milling around, in an almost uninterested way when the band were about to hit the stage for the opener. In fact, most didn't seem that interested once the band were ON the stage.

very well put. how odd that no one has commented that the song "slipping away", recorded in 1989, is about the very thing so many people on this forum are bemoaning - the stones' daring, skills, and relevancy slipping away. the f*cker didn't just see it coming back in 1989, he wrote a song about it. his detractors should at least give him credit for self-awareness and honesty, if nothing else.

I don't even think the Stones should be the same kind of daring and aggressive young men rock band like they were in 1969-1973. The Stones are like life, people change when they get older, there are now other qualities instead of those qualities that were there when they were only 30 years old. I can always go back in time by listening Brussels' Affair or something like that.

Of course it would be nice to hear some very skillful playing like they did in Mick Taylor era but even that's not necessary.

They can still give us very strong feelings, that's what is relevant.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: February 24, 2014 12:20

DandelionPowderman
bonddm
Is it confirmed that MT also played on BTMMR?

Yes

Obviously not:

Date: February 24, 2014 12:39

maradona
DandelionPowderman
bonddm
Is it confirmed that MT also played on BTMMR?

Yes

Obviously not:

By the time I wrote that, someone here who attended the show, said he played on it. As I wasn't there, I took it as a confirmation - sorry smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 24, 2014 13:34

erikjjf
I expected the setlist to be similar to the ones at Hyde Park last Summer. Close enough...
you noticed that also . last night i took a look at the setlist from hyde park (not sure if it was first night) very identical with gimmie shelter in the #14 spot on the setlist in Abu Dhabi.same opener with start me up.just an observation

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: February 24, 2014 13:43

TheGreek
erikjjf
I expected the setlist to be similar to the ones at Hyde Park last Summer. Close enough...
you noticed that also . last night i took a look at the setlist from hyde park (not sure if it was first night) very identical with gimmie shelter in the #14 spot on the setlist in Abu Dhabi.same opener with start me up.just an observation

The warmup opening tune also the same (The combination of LSTT and SFTD tunes), SMU with a similar false opening and when just listened to several videos I could find quite a few "staple points" where the 2 parallel concerts meet. It doesn't mean much I know (most of these similarities are nothing but anecdotal), but personally being at HP2 + listening to SSS live recording quite alot, I felt as if Abu Dahbi was a good audience recording of HP2 eye rolling smiley Anyway a trip to Abu Dahbi was never an option for me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-24 13:44 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: February 24, 2014 13:53

Ok, now I come back from Abu Dhabi. Really fantastic trip!!! There is local media about Stones and my photos.

Date: February 24, 2014 13:54

<SMU with a similar false opening>

What do you mean?

<I felt as if Abu Dahbi was a good audience recording of HP2>

From the videos I've seen from AD, it looks like a superior show to HP2..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 22 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home