Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24
OT: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:35

On Friday it is the official opening of the Winter Olympics in Sochi 2014. All of the Norwegian newspapers and TV channels have been packed with details about every single athlete going to the Olympics. The winter Olympics are more important to Norway than Superbowl and the world cup football final combined. Needless to say, all Norwegians are born with skies on their feet.

I do know there are many many great athlets coming. Skaters from The Netherlands. World class ice hockey players from all of the great series including NHL. It is a great warm-up while waiting for the "14 on Fire" tour to start!

Feel free to post about the olympics here, but as usual, please no politics. The games are here. Enjoy!

Bjornulf

Re: OT: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:46

Go World! (With just a bit of emphasis on the USA) smileys with beer Here's to looking forward to losing sleep while watching events that I don't understand, cheering for competitors that I don't understand and generally just being able to enjoy myself for no other reason than "It's The Olympics"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:49

Can't wait for curling! grinning smiley

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:50

Curling is the only thing I watch

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 3, 2014 23:51

Hope there's some live events during waking hours here in the US!

Date: February 3, 2014 23:58

Aquamarine

Amen to THAT! Hope NBC is paying attention. Do you know what the time difference between Sochi & NYC is? Hopefully, on the weekends anyway, we'll be able to catch some live stuff during the day. The tape delay doesn't bother me quite as much but I HATE the edited for time broadcasts. I know so little about the winter events that I'm able to forget who won what (if I even do know the results in advance) and watch "without knowing the results" but when NBC starts jumping in and out of races (& other events), I start getting frustrated.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:07

yaaaa!!! I have always loved the Olympics, both the summer and winter Olympics.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:16

All of Canada will be focused on the Olympics, hoping to do even better than what we did here in Vancouver in 2010. Bottom line, though, is that the men's hockey is all anyone cares about! The only concern I have is that these games are played on the large ice surface, 200x100 whereas North American rinks are 200x85. We won gold in 2002 in Salt Lake City and 2010 in Vancouver on smaller surfaces but didn't do well in Nagano 98 or Turin 06.
Choosing the Team Canada mens team was a national debate! There's literally enough great players to make up 2 Team Canada's. Martin St. Louis, the leading point getter in the NHL last year didn't even make the team!

Date: February 4, 2014 00:21

Three world class Norwegian athlets they expect will harvest medals, hopefully gold medals if we are lucky:

Marit Bjørgen:

Petter Northug:

Aksel Lund Svindal:

... and there are more, a lot more of them ...

Bjornulf

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:47

Ice Skaters from Netherlands...............keep an eye on them

Sven Kramer

Ireen Wüst

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 4, 2014 05:37

GOO
Curling is the only thing I watch

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a Beatles vs. Stones thread yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 05:38 by drbryant.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 4, 2014 05:42

The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver were great. I couldn't get enough of them. I think the Winter Olympics is becoming a better show than the Summer Olympics. More pure athletics than showboating and posing.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 4, 2014 10:13

By the way: Canadians know how to present Winter Olympics and also to give the buildings back to their people. Calgary is since all time the only place which made money and is still going. It's always a pleasure to see the places except for the saddledome which may have to be torn down due to damages.
Vancouver itself was a wonderful place and even coming after the Olympics the buildings are used and great.
For the Summer Olympics only Munich was heavily used and still is today. Athens is already closed and it is so sad to see all these places around the world being abandonned and only used for a short time.
This is why I do not follow the Games in Sochi along with other wrong decisions made by the IOC. You cannot give such games to a country which treat the people like sh.. This counts for many other aggressive countries.
Last night they showed on TV that they found a drug/anabolica for musclegrowing in Russia which will be available for Sochi and cannot be detected by the control.
Anyway things are different. Let's rather move to a Stones concert.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 4, 2014 10:15

Go Sweden Go...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 4, 2014 14:39

Anyone got the schedules for curling handy?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 4, 2014 14:55

Curling Schedule and Results:

[www.sochi2014.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-04 14:55 by Irix.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: February 4, 2014 16:07

I was actually thinking of taking a trip to Sochi to see some of the events. Than 14 on fire was announced so I'll be watching on tv, really excited!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 4, 2014 16:08

Looking forward to it and so many differant sports.
Love the short track and the main speedskating.
Also the sledging and bobsleigh and all types of skiing. winking smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: February 4, 2014 16:18

I think it's a lot of fun. I've always enjoyed watching the Olympics, summer or winter, it doesn't matter. I also love learning about countrys in which the Olympics are held. There are always bits and pieces about the culture, local cuisine, etc. For me, at least, it's an escape from the not-so-pleasant-reality we oftentimes find ourselves in. Can't wait for the World Cup this summer!smiling smiley

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 4, 2014 17:29

Well, lets go for the medals

I think Norway will win the most--followed by usa, germany and canada!

Date: February 4, 2014 18:18

mr_dja
Aquamarine

Amen to THAT! Hope NBC is paying attention. Do you know what the time difference between Sochi & NYC is? Hopefully, on the weekends anyway, we'll be able to catch some live stuff during the day. The tape delay doesn't bother me quite as much but I HATE the edited for time broadcasts. I know so little about the winter events that I'm able to forget who won what (if I even do know the results in advance) and watch "without knowing the results" but when NBC starts jumping in and out of races (& other events), I start getting frustrated.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Update (for USA viewers):

Just found NBC Olympic Viewers Guide this link.

At the site it says (among other things) Beginning on Thursday, Feb. 6, with preliminary rounds of Snowboarding, Freestyle Skiing and Figure Skating, every phase of competition from all 15 sports on the Sochi program, including each medal-winning performance in all 98 events, will be streamed LIVE on NBCOlympics.com and via the NBC Sports Live Extra mobile app (iPhone/iPad | Android). - See more at: [www.nbcolympics.com]

Every hockey game. Every downhill run. Every figure skating routine. All available for viewing LIVE – with no additional cost to authenticated TV subscribers – as part of NBC Olympics’ digital offering. - See more at: [www.nbcolympics.com]

Live daytime broadcasts in the U.S. begin Saturday, Feb. 8, on the NBC Sports Network (NBCSN) and across the NBCUniversal family of networks. - See more at: [www.nbcolympics.com]

The thing that makes me a bit skeptical is the line "with no additional cost to authenticated TV subscribers"... I'm hoping that I'll be able to authenticate myself as a TV subscriber as I really haven't checked to see what that means... Looks like I'll be hunting for a new app for my phone in the next few days.

Again, I'll say: "Go World"! I'm thinking I'll pull out my Do You Believe in Miracles? The Story of the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team DVD and start getting pumped up for this year!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 4, 2014 18:39

Get a life seitan and enjoy all the lovely things most of us like doing.
Sport and music are two great pleasures in a lot of peoples lives, and bring a lot of enjoyment.

Nothing you say or do is gonna change that pal. hot smiley

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 4, 2014 19:08

Can't Wait for the Olympics to start. Athletics and competition show the best of people, unlike politics which brings out the worst.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 4, 2014 19:43

Why are there no Chess Olympics? Magnus Carlsen is the world champion coming from Norway, and many others are great at it as well. Go Magnus!!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 4, 2014 20:04

Going to be exciting.

GO USA!!!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 4, 2014 20:41

Sweden gonna crush Norway!

Date: February 4, 2014 21:50

JumpinJeppeFlash
Sweden gonna crush Norway!

May be in ice hockey, but remember one day we will beat even Sweden in ice hockey.

Bjornulf

Date: February 4, 2014 22:03

When I say NO POLITICS here I mean it. And there will be no pardon. There are millions of places where you can talk politics, but not here. Sorry.

I do love Spain, but I don't like bull fighting. I do love USA, but I don't like death penalty. I do love The Netherlands, but I don't like free drugs. I do love my own country, but I don't like everything about it. And so on and on and on. But I don't start a political discussion every time something is happening in some country because of some law or some politics.

By the way I love France but I hate it when they park their cars on the sidewalk where I walk, and also when they have so cold weather as it is now...

Enjoy the olympics. There are many great athlets coming!

Bjornulf

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 4, 2014 22:06

LuxuryStones
Why are there no Chess Olympics? Magnus Carlsen is the world champion coming from Norway, and many others are great at it as well. Go Magnus!!

You can start by making your set for Sochi 2014..............

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 4, 2014 23:05

Thanks for doing the TV research, Mr DJA. It looks as if most of the live coverage will be on NBCSN, which I don't think I get. Looks like I'm finally going to have to figure out how to connect my computer to the TV via the blu-ray player and router etc.--sigh.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home