Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Metamorphosis album
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2013 20:24

runaway

The first recordings were made in 68 and then again in 69 with Ry Cooder for the album.

Well exactly, this version is from 1969 so nothing to do with Beggars Banquet. Everything on the available Downtown Suzie is from spring 1969, not a continuation via overdubs etc of an earlier 1968 recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 20:29 by His Majesty.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 27, 2013 20:25

The US version (with 14 tracks-a couple short of the UK? I don't know) was released on ABKCO Records(distributed by London). I realize there's a couple of stinkers but I thought back in 75 it had some nice stuff. The "Out Of Time" is a refreshing take (not better but not bad at all). If you listen you can tell it's the same backing track that was used for Chris Farlowe's release. "Don't Lie To Me" is nice."Heart Of Stone' with the steel guitar break is interesting. Hearing the Stones do their Beach Boys impersonation during the outro to "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" is a hoot. "Jiving Sister Fanny" would have been fantastic with finished lyrics. The only thing bad about "I Don't Know Why" and "I'm Going Down"is they are too short! Maybe you had to be there that summer of 75 but it was alright and probably generated more interest in the 75 summer US Tour than "Made In The Shade" in my opinion.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 27, 2013 20:42

One side of this album is fine, the other a curiosity. O boy, that weird Spector guy.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 27, 2013 20:43

scottkeef
The US version (with 14 tracks-a couple short of the UK? I don't know) was released on ABKCO Records(distributed by London). I realize there's a couple of stinkers but I thought back in 75 it had some nice stuff. The "Out Of Time" is a refreshing take (not better but not bad at all). If you listen you can tell it's the same backing track that was used for Chris Farlowe's release. "Don't Lie To Me" is nice."Heart Of Stone' with the steel guitar break is interesting. Hearing the Stones do their Beach Boys impersonation during the outro to "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" is a hoot. "Jiving Sister Fanny" would have been fantastic with finished lyrics. The only thing bad about "I Don't Know Why" and "I'm Going Down"is they are too short! Maybe you had to be there that summer of 75 but it was alright and probably generated more interest in the 75 summer US Tour than "Made In The Shade" in my opinion.

Yeah, I was really happy to get some new(-ish) Stones material at the time, and I still quite like many of the tracks.

It was only some years later that I found out the US version was shy a few tracks. Why did they (ABKCO? London?) do that? Does anyone know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 20:43 by blivet.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 27, 2013 20:50

Jiving Sister Fanny was flip side of a 1975 single "Out Of Time", nice lead guitar by Mick Taylor.

Date: November 27, 2013 22:53

blivet, I always assumed it was because the US teen market had so much disposable income in the early to mid sixties. All US LPs were usually 12 tracks and always included the hit singles at the time also. Up until Sgt Peppers for the Beatles and Satanic for the Stones, its seems there were 2 or 3 US LPs for every UK one! It was my understanding that the "Flowers" LP and the Beatles "Yesterday & Today" were created because of the demand in the States. I don't know why they did it here with Klein's collection...check out the HUGE difference in both The Stones and Beatles UK and US releases from 64-67 tho. Its quite entertaining and amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 22:54 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2013 23:20

.....sure it ooozes syrup but Each & Everyday knocks my heart around

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2013 23:59

Yes I do..yes I do..yes I do..yes I do..grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 28, 2013 00:37

scottkeef
blivet, I always assumed it was because the US teen market had so much disposable income in the early to mid sixties. All US LPs were usually 12 tracks and always included the hit singles at the time also. Up until Sgt Peppers for the Beatles and Satanic for the Stones, its seems there were 2 or 3 US LPs for every UK one! It was my understanding that the "Flowers" LP and the Beatles "Yesterday & Today" were created because of the demand in the States. I don't know why they did it here with Klein's collection...check out the HUGE difference in both The Stones and Beatles UK and US releases from 64-67 tho. Its quite entertaining and amazing.

I wonder what versions (UK or US) the rest of the world got? I have no problems with any of the songs on this release...

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 28, 2013 01:17

2000 LYFH
scottkeef

I wonder what versions (UK or US) the rest of the world got? I have no problems with any of the songs on this release...

I first saw the longer version in France in the early 80s. I assume everybody but the US of A got the complete set of tracks.

I understand the desire to squeeze every dime out of the US teen market, but with the Metamorphosis collection I'm at a loss, since those songs were not available for purchase elsewhere. Once again the mysterious sloppiness that surrounds all Rolling Stones endeavors rears its head.

Date: November 28, 2013 01:45

After The Stones left Decca, that label just re-packaged and re-packaged, didn't they? Around the same time (1975) I bought an Import called "No Stone Unturned" which thrilled me because at the time I had never heard "Stoned" or "Sad Day" (never released in US). Maybe I was the market they were targeting!! haha Now that I think about it, I wonder why "Stoned" or "I Wanna Be You Man" didn't make the "fazed cookies" side of "More Hot Rocks"? I have an original 45 of "Not Fade Away" on London and the Len/Mac song was B side here in the states. It BLEW my mind compared to the Beatles version. On the Beatle bootlegs tho I love it when Ringo does it because when they move the overhead mic in for his vocals the drums are just banging in volume compared to the other numbers.

I have to correct myself. "Sad Day" did appear on the b side of "19th Nervous Breakdown"...don't know how I overlooked that one!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 01:47 by scottkeef.

Date: November 28, 2013 01:52

I recall it being stated here before that Metamorphosis is the reuslt of the Klein deal shite, the deal being that they were allowed to release one more album of previoisly unreleased music.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 28, 2013 02:02

If Metamorphosis had never been released, the material contained therein would have appeared as bootlegs anyway, even the ALO arrangements with just Mick singing lead.

I just take the collection for what it is--a case where the record company is instead the bootlegger.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 28, 2013 02:43

The good thing is that you can play this album to people who don`t like The Stones in the first place.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2013 10:55

DandelionPowderman
crholmstrom
"Memo From Turner" is pretty cool, too.

+1

It is Traffic that plays on it, no?

I'm not sure. I know Ry Cooder played on that song but don't know which version.

Date: November 28, 2013 11:14

crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman
crholmstrom

+1

I'm not sure. I know Ry Cooder played on that song but don't know which version.

He plays on the Performance soundtrack version.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2013 11:22

His Majesty
I recall it being stated here before that Metamorphosis is the reuslt of the Klein deal shite, the deal being that they were allowed to release one more album of previoisly unreleased music.

That needs to be the case. If I recall right the deal with the Stones and Klein was/is that nothing unreleased from the Decca era cannot be released without the both parties agreeing. Taking how much Jagger critizied and opposed METAMORPHOSIS indicates that there was nothing he could do about it. And if Klein would have had open hands with non-released stuff, there most likely had been albums like that more (though he didn't have access to the actual tapes, which do belong to the Stones, I guess).

The Stones initially were rather involved in the project, since Bill Wyman constructed his BLACK BOX or what it was called. But I have never heard what exactly happened - why Wyman's suggestion was neglected/rejected, and why METAMORPHOSIS turned out to be the one it is like.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 11:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 28, 2013 11:23

Bottom line: Flowers stands alone. Metaphorsis is a bunch of gobbly gook that embarasses my fav song "Out of Time."

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 28, 2013 11:27

Chris Fountain
Bottom line: Flowers stands alone. Metaphorsis is a bunch of gobbly gook that embarasses my fav song "Out of Time."

That is a smelly version of "Out of Time"!

Date: November 28, 2013 11:44

His Majesty
crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman
crholmstrom

+1

He plays on the Performance soundtrack version.

I understand there are three versions of MFT; one with the Stones, one with Jagger and Cooder and one with Jagger and Traffic?

Date: November 28, 2013 11:54

DandelionPowderman

I understand there are three versions of MFT; one with the Stones, one with Jagger and Cooder and one with Jagger and Traffic?

Exactly who plays on the other versions has never really been factually nailed.

The uptempo jerky version on Metamorphosis sure sounds like the stones.

The bootleg, slow version:

This has the same vocal as the soundtrack version and is the one that seems to atleast feature Steve Winwood, but he denies having played on it.

Then there is the actual soundtrack version which kept the vocal from the above take, but they replaced all of the music/instruments.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 12:03 by His Majesty.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 28, 2013 15:23

Doxa
His Majesty
The Stones initially were rather involved in the project, since Bill Wyman constructed his BLACK BOX or what it was called. But I have never heard what exactly happened - why Wyman's suggestion was neglected/rejected, and why METAMORPHOSIS turned out to be the one it is like.

- His Majesty
- Doxa

The "Black Box" contained more covers, whereas "Metamorphosis" was more or less all Jagger/Richards - even "I Don't Know Why" was listed on the labels on the first editions (worldwide I guess) as J/R/Taylor. It's all about the money, as usual.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the "Black Box" one day. An acetate was sold around 20 years ago in London and MAYBE the buyer will open up his personal vault one day, who knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 15:24 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 28, 2013 16:50

silkcut1978_
Doxa
His Majesty

- His Majesty
- Doxa

The "Black Box" contained more covers, whereas "Metamorphosis" was more or less all Jagger/Richards - even "I Don't Know Why" was listed on the labels on the first editions (worldwide I guess) as J/R/Taylor. It's all about the money, as usual...
I am fairly certain they don't get extra money by incorrectly listing themselves as writers. If so, a quick lawsuit would resolve that.

Date: November 28, 2013 17:19

LeonidP
silkcut1978_
Doxa
His Majesty

- His Majesty
- Doxa

The "Black Box" contained more covers, whereas "Metamorphosis" was more or less all Jagger/Richards - even "I Don't Know Why" was listed on the labels on the first editions (worldwide I guess) as J/R/Taylor. It's all about the money, as usual...
I am fairly certain they don't get extra money by incorrectly listing themselves as writers. If so, a quick lawsuit would resolve that.

If I recall right, they also put Berry's "Don't Lie To Me" to Jagger/Richards. A human mistake or greed (like no one would notice, huh), I don't know. The whole goddamn package was done so poorly, that I presume it simply was an error.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 17:23 by Doxa.

Date: November 28, 2013 19:16

We'll never know but "Don't Lie To Me" & "I Don't Know Why" belongs to the best songs in this collection. Maybe ALO was instructed to compile an LP with 16 self-penned songs (14 for the US) and that was his way (to credit them to J/R) to "smuggle" in 2 good tracks between all those (mainly) weak tunes. But this might be a wild guess.

In the end the final product was relatively close to the shelved "Necrophilia"-LP and it's not easy to understand why it's not closer to the "Trident Mixes"-release which never happened.

Travelling Man, Still A Fool, Hamburger To Go are real good songs compared to Each And Everyday and Sleepy City and quite a few others.

Date: November 28, 2013 19:22

Doxa
LeonidP
silkcut1978_
Doxa
His Majesty

- His Majesty
- Doxa

If I recall right, they also put Berry's "Don't Lie To Me" to Jagger/Richards. A human mistake or greed (like no one would notice, huh), I don't know. The whole goddamn package was done so poorly, that I presume it simply was an error.

- Doxa

Don't Lie To me was called "Let's Talk It Over" by Chuck Berry, wasn't it? I mean we're talkin' bout 1975. I'm not sure if law-suits because of plagiarism were common in those days. I'm always reading that "Stoned" was a copy of a Booker-T track but I never heard about a law-suit because of this.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 28, 2013 20:34

Love this album! I listen to it quite frequently. Did so, while cleaning my cabin, yesterday.

Side 2 is killer!!!

Side 1 isn't bad. Especially knowing the different lineups and the song's intentions.

Did a shirt come with the original release? I seem to remember a picture of a girl with the album's cover art printed on her shirt.

Date: November 28, 2013 21:10

silkcut1978_
Doxa
LeonidP
silkcut1978_
Doxa
His Majesty

- His Majesty
- Doxa

- Doxa

Don't Lie To me was called "Let's Talk It Over" by Chuck Berry, wasn't it? I mean we're talkin' bout 1975. I'm not sure if law-suits because of plagiarism were common in those days. I'm always reading that "Stoned" was a copy of a Booker-T track but I never heard about a law-suit because of this.

No, it was "Don't YOU Lie To Me" by Chuck but on Bill Wyman's "Willie & The Poor Boys" the same song was called "Let's Talk It Over" and credited to "Arranged by Bill Wyman".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 21:15 by scottkeef.

Date: November 28, 2013 21:19

silkcut1978_
Doxa
LeonidP
silkcut1978_
Doxa
His Majesty

- His Majesty
- Doxa

- Doxa

Well, I did some quick research - which is so damn easy these days - and found out that "Don't You Lie To Me" was originally released by Tampa Red in 1940, and credited to him (aka Hudson Whittaker). It turned out to be a blues standard, and many people released own versions of it (altering lyrics, etc), and seemingly taking the credits as well. Berry made his own 'rock and roll' version in 1961, and the Stones version is one to one to that one. I don't know if Berry's version is credited to himself or Whittaker (I presume the former). [It is.]

I guess it is one of times that it is rather hard to trace the original or 'justified' creator, since quite many have touched to it along the way, and the song changed in the process. Besides probably quite many who have taken the song to their own names, are probably not too thrilled about scrutinizing the credition issue any closer... Probably Chuck Berry, even though the Stones picked up the song straight from him, does not want press too much the issue either....winking smiley

A similar case was with "I'm Alright" discussed here a little time ago - that "Bo Diddley-number" written by Nanker Phelge...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 21:51 by Doxa.

Date: November 28, 2013 21:46

Yep, Berry took all credits of "Don't You Lie To Me" to himself, as has Fats Domino done 10 years before him, and many others as well, including even Gary Moore... So one "Jagger/Richards" there mean no nothing... Seems to belong to everyman's possession.. It looks like people treat it as "trad", but without mentioning it (except Wyman?)

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home