Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Metamorphosis album
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 28, 2013 22:13

DandelionPowderman
<Poor Mick T. Can't catch a break on the writing credits.>

He he, that was the Stevei Wonder track, right? Good one!

That one, and other called "I'm Going Down".

- Doxa

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2013 22:13

DandelionPowderman
<Poor Mick T. Can't catch a break on the writing credits.>

He he, that was the Stevei Wonder track, right? Good one!

The Oldham/Richards penned "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" is probably the wors track the Stones ever released.

Jiving Sister Fanny, I Don't Know Why and Don't Lie To Me are the best tracks. Family has outrageous lyrics and Downtown Suzie is fun, without being nowhere near good, imo.

A mixed bag of outtakes and songs they wrote for other artists.

I think Jimmy Page is playing on the Heart Of Stone version. John Mc Laughlin is also playing on the album.

I'm Going Down is great! Wasn't Taylor credited on that one too?

Date: November 28, 2013 22:15

71Tele

I'm Going Down is great! Wasn't Taylor credited on that one too?

Yes to both sentences.

- Doxa

Date: November 28, 2013 22:21

It would be interesting to know how can one mistakenly add Taylor's name on two tracks? Where the hell that name derived from? Funny accidents happen...

- Doxa

Date: November 28, 2013 22:44

Especially I'm going down, an unfinished song with a Keith riff, unfinished lyrics/melody and nothing else! Did Taylor have anything to do with it at all?

I have the reissue with the correct credits.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 28, 2013 23:05

I absolutely LOVE Im Going Down, Jiving Sister Fanny and I Don't Know Why. They just effortlessly rocked and grooved back then, A side, b side, album track or throwaway, didn't matter.

Date: November 28, 2013 23:08

Love them all myself, although IGD only is interesting for a minute or so...

Date: November 28, 2013 23:21

DandelionPowderman
Especially I'm going down, an unfinished song with a Keith riff, unfinished lyrics/melody and nothing else! Did Taylor have anything to do with it at all?

You must be lucky then. I wish I had some day all the Stones records with all the "correct" credits in them... But isn't beautiful that they at least sometimes "correct" the creditions...

- Doxa

Date: November 28, 2013 23:37

DandelionPowderman

Since you have the correct credits, could you please check what it says of "Don't Lie to Me"? WikiPedia claims it is credited to Hudson Whittaker, but also says that it is "incorrectly credited to Jagger/Richard on the album". With "I Don't Know Why" it says that it "incorrectly credited to J/R in the first pressing of the album". Is "Don't Lie To Me" still J/R?

I don't see any legal reason to change the credition due to song's history, but it if they really did it, I think that is a high class act from their side.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-28 23:45 by Doxa.

Date: November 29, 2013 02:17

He he, I meant IGD and IDKW smiling smiley

DLTM is wrongly credited Jagger/Richard...

Date: November 29, 2013 10:05

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Since you have the correct credits, could you please check what it says of "Don't Lie to Me"? WikiPedia claims it is credited to Hudson Whittaker, but also says that it is "incorrectly credited to Jagger/Richard on the album". With "I Don't Know Why" it says that it "incorrectly credited to J/R in the first pressing of the album". Is "Don't Lie To Me" still J/R?

I don't see any legal reason to change the credition due to song's history, but it if they really did it, I think that is a high class act from their side.

- Doxa

If memory serves, I have a Chuck album where DLTM is credited to him as well - just to add to the "confusion" around this song grinning smiley

What does the credits say on The Chess Sessions again? I don't have it here...

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 29, 2013 11:32

Andrew Oldham did a lot of (in my opinion sacrilegious) re-production for those tracks, first for that failed Necrophilia-project, later for Metamorphosis. He used a handful of (uncredited) studio musicians (Christine Ohlman, Jon Tiven, Doug Schlink, Vic Steffens, Paul Ossola and maybe even more) for overdubs, all done at Trod Nossel Studios (Connecticut) around 1973 - early 1975. These musicians were not only adding instruments, but also replacing some of the original instruments (played by Stones-members)! Not much on this album is what it seems...

N

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 29, 2013 12:13

NeddieFlanders
Andrew Oldham did a lot of (in my opinion sacrilegious) re-production for those tracks, first for that failed Necrophilia-project, later for Metamorphosis. He used a handful of (uncredited) studio musicians (Christine Ohlman, Jon Tiven, Doug Schlink, Vic Steffens, Paul Ossola and maybe even more) for overdubs, all done at Trod Nossel Studios (Connecticut) around 1973 - early 1975. These musicians were not only adding instruments, but also replacing some of the original instruments (played by Stones-members)! Not much on this album is what it seems...

N

Nah, not on side B, the actual stones tracks.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: November 29, 2013 14:46

DandelionPowderman

John Mc Laughlin is also playing on the album.

There is only speculation about that. All he said about it is coming from one interview (as far as I know).

Q:
When did you play with the Rolling Stones? Did you enjoy working with them?

JM:
Only on a session with Mick, who was a nice person. No pretentions, but the recording was just another session for me at that time.

[blogs.dallasobserver.com]

Date: November 29, 2013 15:00

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

John Mc Laughlin is also playing on the album.

There is only speculation about that. All he said about it is coming from one interview (as far as I know).

Q:

JM:
Only on a session with Mick, who was a nice person. No pretentions, but the recording was just another session for me at that time.

As we don't have detaliled liner notes for Metamorphosis, this is all we got.

Could be a session that wasn't used for anything - could be this one...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 29, 2013 18:24

"Don't You Lie To Me" (credited to Berry) cut April 1960 Chess,Chicago.
Berry voc/guitar,L.C.Davis tenor,unkn saxes,Johnny Johnson piano,Matt Murphy guitar,Eddie Hardy drums. released on Chess LP 1456

other tracks cut on same sessions: Drifting Blues, I Got To Find My Baby,Worried Life Blues,Our Little Rendezvous,Bye Bye Johnny,Run Around,Jaguer and Thunderbird. (info from "Chuck Berry's Golden Decade Vol. 2" 1972 GRT Corp.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 29, 2013 22:45

His Majesty
NeddieFlanders

N

That's exactly what I thought at first.
But check this link for details:

[aeppli.ch]

(These infos are basing on interviews with some of the partaking musicians.)

N

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 29, 2013 22:58

All I see from the later period is Jon Tiven claiming that he and a piano player/drummer did overdubs on Jiving Sister Fanny. While possible, Tiven is not really an unimpeachable source. If this happened, I doubt any of the Stones noticed or I don't think they would have approved it. The slight overdubs done to the earlier demo sessions would not have offended.

Date: November 30, 2013 03:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-30 03:23 by His Majesty.

Date: November 30, 2013 03:22

NeddieFlanders
His Majesty
NeddieFlanders

N

That's exactly what I thought at first.
But check this link for details:

[aeppli.ch]

(These infos are basing on interviews with some of the partaking musicians.)

N

Ok, burn it! hot smiley

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 30, 2013 06:12

The last song on the album "I'm going down" sounds a bit like "Soul Survivor" to me.

All in all, one of my indispensable Rolling Stones albums actually.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 30, 2013 07:42

BroomWagon
The last song on the album "I'm going down" sounds a bit like "Soul Survivor" to me.

All in all, one of my indispensable Rolling Stones albums actually.

It sounds like a lot of things because it uses the classic Keith open G chord shapes. In some ways the chrod progression is as interesting as Brown Sugar or Soul Survivor. Too bad they didn't finish it. It's really fun to play on guitar.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 30, 2013 12:14

A must have album in my opinion. A lot of hiden gems in it

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 1, 2013 03:04

Flamin' Groovies did "Don't you lie to me" as well.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: December 4, 2013 02:39

LuxuryStones

Q:

JM:

Amsterdamned/svt22's new moniker.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2013 15:44

Elvin Bishop does a cover of "Don't Lie To Me" too.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:44

His Majesty
LuxuryStones

Q:

JM:

I like Amsterdamned more. Taylor doesn't even play on Luxury, a very mediocre and repetitive song by the way.

Date: December 4, 2013 16:59

kleermaker
His Majesty
LuxuryStones

Q:

JM:

I like Amsterdamned more. Taylor doesn't even play on Luxury, a very mediocre and repetitive song by the way.

LOL! grinning smiley

kleerie, it's a great song winking smiley

And reggae-flavoured songs are supposed to be repetitive...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-05 12:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:15

Come On
This was an early collection of treasures not released, and in the same year as Dylans Basement Tapes which were bootlegged since 1969 and well-known for every hardcord Dylan-fan...that was not the matter with Metamorphosis while that one were very wellcome and a enjoyable listen to 'new songs'...this two album started up this thing with released older stuff for real even if it took even worser proportions with the CD-boxes era...

Metamorphosis is a killer...thumbs up

i agree !!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:23

seitan
Come On
This was an early collection of treasures not released, and in the same year as Dylans Basement Tapes which were bootlegged since 1969 and well-known for every hardcord Dylan-fan...that was not the matter with Metamorphosis while that one were very wellcome and a enjoyable listen to 'new songs'...this two album started up this thing with released older stuff for real even if it took even worser proportions with the CD-boxes era...

Metamorphosis is a killer...thumbs up

i agree !!!

Unfortunately, one of my most favorite songs (OOT) ever is slanted if not vilified on this Album. Let me put it another way, This collection aint no "Flowers."

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home