Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14
Re: Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor - The Cutting Room in NYC, November 7-9
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 8, 2013 23:42

Great to see these guys keeping the faith but I personally would have been very disappointed with this (very brief) set. I love Al Kooper and Super Session was a huge influence on my musical development, but it wouldn't have killed them to play a few of Ronnie's "hits", e.g. Seven Days. Based on these videos and reports, the Atlantic City show blew the doors off this, in my opinion. And it was in no way, shape or form billed as a 55 minute continuation of the Jimmy Reed tribute, which was part of an actual blues fest.

When I saw a 7PM show listed, I figured I'd try for a ticket but when I logged on I was floored that the prices for this "intimate" show were double what they were for the other 2! So I passed and, again personally, I'm relieved that I did. If you bought VIP you paid five bucks per minute plus cover and gratuities for some competently played blues (albeit by 2 Rolling Stones). Hats off to those who enjoyed it but, again personally, while special, this could have been so much more. Hopefully for the remaining shows they'll step it up. And a big raspberry to the Cutting Room for ripping off the people they were "protecting" from the (real) scalpers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 23:50 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:31

I think the Cutting Room were very unclear about what last night's tickets were for. I read the comments on their Facebook page, and in addition to the time factor, a lot of people seemed under the impression that they were selling a few tix to the public for the private show, which is what I thought at first so I can't blame them for being confused. Then when I saw it was at 7 p.m. I realized it must be a separate show.

Ah well. Stones material or not, that's what a lot of the Jimmy Reed stuff sounds like to me anyway--Big Boss Man, etc. So we'll see. Early night for me as I've got to be up 4 a.m. for my flight, and will only have phone internet access while I'm gone, so will be interested in how this thread has evolved when I'm back Sunday! Hope to catch a peek at the details of tonight's show before I leave.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:34

Are there any pre- or post- meet-ups planned for the Friday night show?

Date: November 9, 2013 02:10

I just had a phone convo with the Cutting Room about will-call, and they said there's no physical ticket and nothing to collect, "you just give your name, you go in." I don't see how all this would work regarding people who got their tix on StubHub--surely there are people out there with physical tickets? Now I don't know what to do. confused smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 9, 2013 03:17

Aquamarine
Now I don't know what to do. confused smiley

It will be fine - keep the faith and just go and enjoy yourself! [And give us your report when you have the chance smiling smiley]

Posted by: His Majesty ()

Those clips sound ace! Damn, Taylor and Wood work fine together, even their otherwise iffy singing voices sound good when combined. smoking smiley

55 minutes of that sounds perfect to me. A lot of concerts are too long these days.

These Jimmy Reed gigs are mini classics, lucky are the people that attend them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 03:20 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Beast ()

His Majesty

No truer words spoken!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 9, 2013 03:22

great great stuff
better than the stones shows
jeroen

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 9, 2013 03:41

Beast
His Majesty

No truer words spoken!

Indded!

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: November 9, 2013 04:40

There are physical hard tickets.

Date: November 9, 2013 05:29

Now they're telling me about wristbands . . .

Oh well. Nite nite. See you on the flipside.

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: November 9, 2013 09:03

Last I checked The Stones did not appear tonight. Dude thats the Band that plays
stones Music. If that's what you wanted then you will have to buy a ticket to a Stones Show. The Show tonight was Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor Show. Thats not The Stones Dude...... But wow these cats can play the Blues reall Well.
So what they did tonight was really powerful you should have enjoyed the show for what it represented and not what you had hoped for. In many ways tonight's show
Was powerful in its own right.

There I said it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-10 08:45 by Big Ed.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2013 09:26

Big Ed
Last I checked The Stones did not appear tonight. Dude thasa Band that plays
stones Music. If that's what you wanted we'll then you will have to buy a ticket to a Stones Show. The Show tonight was Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor Show. That not The Stones Dude...... But wow these cats can play the Blues reall Well.
So what they did tonight was really powerful you should have enjoyed the show for what it represented and not what you had hoped for. In many ways tonight's show
Was powerful n it's own right EQUAL to a Stones Show

There I said it.

And I'll back you up. I enjoyed this Wood & Taylor show at the Albert Hall in London MORE than I've enjoyed some Stones shows over the years, I have to say. And at the risk of repeating myself, I'm happy to say it again ........ whatever future the Rolling Stones have at this point in time, a large part of it now lies in the hands of these two guys

For me personally, having now seen a total of 7 of the Stones' 50th and counting shows (the 2 in London and 3 in the U.S. in 2012 & then the 2 in Hyde Park in 2013), I would now welcome something a bit different from them. And do I think I'm ever likely to get it ? Not a chance - to be honest. So THAT is why I was so completely and utterly blown away with this Wood/Taylor tribute to Jimmy Reed. Wood's talent shone through, and Taylor reminded us all of how tragically and undeservedly underused he was by the Stones on their 50th run of shows

I hope we see more of Ronnie & Mick Taylor doing things like this .......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 9, 2013 09:35

Just got back from seeing Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor at the Cutting Room in New York City. A wonderful set of Jimmy Reed classics that was just fantastic and sounded fantistic and I felt priviledged just to be there. No video or pictures this time... just soaked it in. Also playing throughout was Al Kooper on organ and they were joined by Gary C. Clark for a couple songs. Just great! Wow... what a night!

And I'm going tomorrow night again! Holy shit!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 09:41 by schillid.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 9, 2013 09:36

This is the perfect culmination of all the Wood vs. Taylor threads here. We get both! Perfect.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2013 10:31

schillid
Just got back from seeing Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor at the Cutting Room in New York City. A wonderful set of Jimmy Reed classics that was just fantastic and sounded fantistic and I felt priviledged just to be there. No video or pictures this time... just soaked it in. Also playing throughout was Al Kooper on organ and they were joined by Gary C. Clark for a couple songs. Just great! Wow... what a night!

And I'm going tomorrow night again! Holy shit!

>grinning smiley< hot smiley >grinning smiley< hot smiley grinning smiley hot smiley grinning smiley hot smiley and so on ............... that's EXACTLY how I felt after getting home from the Albert Hall show.

The only difference is that YOU'RE GOING AGAIN TONIGHT ........... (seething with jealousy here in London)

ENJOY !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 9, 2013 10:34

Great show. Will post more tomorrow.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 9, 2013 12:45

Thanks for posting all the great clips and pictures. Meanwhile Ronnie and Mick T are the true heirs of the Stones empire. If I had to opt for a Stones gig or a concert of Ronnie and Mick T I would know where I have to go. Fantastic. I hope they will release their performances of the last days!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2013 13:33

His Majesty
Those clips sound ace! Damn, Taylor and Wood work fine together, even their otherwise iffy singing voices sound good when combined. smoking smiley

55 minutes of that sounds perfect to me. A lot of concerts are too long these days.

Exactly!

These gigs sound as a concept and from the clips I've heard damn exciting by their owns terms. I really would have like take apart if that only'd been possible. And 55 minutes is alright - damn the quantity if one can get qualitywise something extraordinary and unique. Sometimes I feel like people are watching their clock and counting minutes and songs - when not having their mobile phone cameras directed to the stage - instead of just listening the music and being moved by it and enjoying the situation per se.

It shows damn great class from the side of these guys to do such a thing - forget all those jumpingjackflashes etc. and pay homage to the stuff they once were inspired by. If Brian Jones still would have been around, I am sure he would had been there as well...

I remember watching Ronnie Wood at Hyde Park and thinking 'wow, there is so much power and unused potentiality in that man right now, that it sounds almost cruel how hands tied and hush-hush he needs to play there'. Great that he is now letting some of that energy out.

I loved the get-together atmosphere of Hyde Park, but as a musical experience that gives me something I would change that one to any of these Jimmy Reed gigs. I hope these guys - 'Brian Jones stunts'grinning smiley - continue doing something similar, and I can catch them some day.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 13:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 9, 2013 13:55

Hope we get some reviews from the gig last night and upcoming gig tonight. Maybe NY newspaper reiews too.
I disagree with you there Doxa,that 55 minutes for a gig is O.K.
I don't think that an hour and a half or 2 hours is too much to ask for from a band that you are paying good money to watch and hear.
I saw BB King at his NY club some years back and the gig was about 2 hours and reasonable price.
O.K. BB was on stage for at least 70% of the time and sitting down with Lucille,but he was a lot older at the time than Ronnie and Mick T.
Just sticking up for the punters going to the gig and I'm sure they gonna have a great time. winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 9, 2013 14:01

More time would probably mean having to step outside the Jimmy Reed tribute side of things and that would dilute the whole point of the gigs. The venues, the set up, musicians and it seems most of the audiences attending all support the main point of these gigs.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: November 9, 2013 14:07

November 8th

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: November 9, 2013 17:58

thumbs upthumbs upcool smiley. Awesome!

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:23

great show last night, and we got the "full" version at 1 1/2 hours. Ronnie even made a comment along those lines when he first came out, as he basically admitted the first show on Thursday was cut short because of the second show.

Ronnie, as always seemed to be having a ball and getting to see him and Mick T. in such a small room was great. There is no backstage area (the band hung out in a room in the basement next to the bathrooms before the show!), so after the last number, Ronnie said, "we just left and now we're back" as a precursor to their encore. Mick was subdued but played fine; I'd hoped he might take the mic for a song, but no such luck. None of the rumored guests, but who cares, I went to see Ronnie and Mick, not Neil Young. And for those who went expecting to hear some Stones songs, we did get a few, indirectly--Bright Lights, Big City, Shame, Shame Shame and Ain't that Loving You Baby.

As for the room itself, I was at the back of the SRO line and yet I was dead center of the room 30-40 feet from the stage. I don't think the Cutting Room was used to such a crowd and their ticket prices were a bit unfair, as I was basically next to one table and in front of another one, yet paid half of what those patrons did. To be fair, they could have separated those of us standing from those who paid for tables, but everyone seemed happy, so no harm no foul, I guess. I also felt for the wait staff who had to fight their way thru the crowd all night to get to those who actually were trying to eat dinner during the show!

Bottom line, if they take this show on the road and come to your city, make every effort to get in the door!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 9, 2013 18:41

Among the most interesting things Stones for years.
I'd have loved to be there . .

Date: November 9, 2013 19:10

Mangaed to get a ticket & I throughly enjoyed the show & the night.

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: November 9, 2013 19:30

Is there a set list anywhere for last nights show? 11/8

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 9, 2013 20:30

Thanks HalfNanker for the review and so glad you got 90 minutes of music.
That's more like it and I bet you all had a great time.
Tables,chairs, meals and Waiting staff trying hard to do their job, is not ideal for a music gig,but hope that everyone left the show happy.
Thanks Lien for posting the videos which gives us all not going,some idea of what a good gig it was.
Hope tonight matches up to last night,and dare I say it,cos it is the last of The Jimmy Reed tributes,even better and longer than last nights show.
Hope you petite ladies going manage to get a good spot.
Have a great time. >grinning smiley<hot smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 9, 2013 20:41

what time did they hit the stage?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 9, 2013 21:49

Set list please?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 9 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home