Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
The setlist
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 12, 2013 16:32

In my opinion, this song is ok but nothing special. Every tour they play this overrated song. I just don't understand why this is the case. I've only seen Rocks Off, for example, in only two shows (hit and miss).

How can "Miss You" be a staple whereas "Rocks Off" is omitted or played here or there? Or even "Sweet Virginia"?

If I'm listenig to mainstream radio on the way to work - It's always MY. I've heard this song so much to the point where it gets on my nerves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 09:40 by bv.

Re: Why Miss You in every setlist?
Date: October 12, 2013 16:39

A singalong that is very popular among the crowd. Rocks Off is not, even though it's a great song.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 12, 2013 16:46

It's Mick's safety net......He'll never drop it. Should have been swapped out for ER this tour.

sc uk

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 12, 2013 16:52

The best opportunity for the piss break ...

Date: October 12, 2013 16:53

DandelionPowderman
A singalong that is very popular among the crowd. Rocks Off is not, even though it's a great song.

I think MY should be dropped fron the setlist. Emotional Rescue overrides MY as the sing along song. The only issue with ER live is the fact that the bass is too twangy as opposed to the album version. Maybe if Bill Wyman was the bass player for subject song in concert it would sound even richer.

Open G is fine with me - but it sometimes distorts the original intent of songs, played live.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:03

One of their biggest hits, with a massive response from the crowd.
The 13 IORR members in the crowd aren't Micks biggest concern.

I actually enjoyed Miss You this tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:13

BowieStone

Yes they did a good job on it...although I wasn't looking forward to it either so nice surprise.

Date: October 12, 2013 17:19

BowieStone

I understand your view point. However, my problem is that folks whom are not familiar with the great songs have no such familiarity with the best. I question the fact that the new Stones Fans have not a clue of "Ride on Baby", "Out of Time", Torn and Frayed, etc...

And they love MY? Fsn interest seems superficial to me and no effort of knowing what they are missing.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:27

I agree with ChrisFountain. I do believe the Stones picked up a lot of new fans this past tour and the fans are only scratching the surface. MY is a good song, their last number one single, the crown loves it and I think Mick has stated that its one of his favorites so they are not going to drop it. If they play theatres you won't hear it and that is where you will have to catch a show if you want to hear different and who knows if they will ever play a club or theatre again like they did on Licks.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 12, 2013 17:36

Miss You (imo) was just them responding to all the disco crap going on at the time..its not an especially inspiring song..filler at best.Should be retired forever. If they want a sing-a-long, Honky Tonk Women is a lot better if they would get rid of the second "piano" break. I understood having two guitar breaks on the 75/76 tour but it makes the song too long and ruins the flow. Then again they could retire "Start Me Up" too. Its an ok riff but it aint in the ballpark with Satisfaction or JJF....And before I get "you weren't there"..yes, I was from the first...

Date: October 12, 2013 18:10

slew
I agree with ChrisFountain. I do believe the Stones picked up a lot of new fans this past tour and the fans are only scratching the surface. MY is a good song, their last number one single, the crown loves it and I think Mick has stated that its one of his favorites so they are not going to drop it. If they play theatres you won't hear it and that is where you will have to catch a show if you want to hear different and who knows if they will ever play a club or theatre again like they did on Licks.

One other aspect, which should be considered as far as setlists are concerned. And this may sound crazy. I favor when the Stones play a Motown/Phillie song such as Just my Imagination or Love Train. I believe this a great mix to the concert. I think they could "pull off" a song such as "The Love I lost" by Harold Melvin and Blue Notes" (RIP TP).

"Under the Boardwalk" was a graet addtion to this tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 12, 2013 18:17

Miss You is a song for the ladies. Not that I don't like it, but the ladies love it. So, not to give something to half your audience would be stupid. I don't care for the way it is played anymore. Not having Bill on bass on Miss You would be like not having Keith on Jumping Jack Flash.

And please, give up on rarities or even semi-rarities like Rocks Off. We're in the home stretch now with the current edition of the Oldies Stones. You'll probably never go to a Stones show again where 95% aren't overplayed warhorses.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 12, 2013 18:29

Mick hates Rocks Off...he told me so over croissants...he likes Miss You and Winning Ugly...even likes Too Much Blood but Keith said no...

Date: October 12, 2013 18:33

24FPS
Miss You is a song for the ladies. Not that I don't like it, but the ladies love it. So, not to give something to half your audience would be stupid. I don't care for the way it is played anymore. Not having Bill on bass on Miss You would be like not having Keith on Jumping Jack Flash.

And please, give up on rarities or even semi-rarities like Rocks Off. We're in the home stretch now with the current edition of the Oldies Stones. You'll probably never go to a Stones show again where 95% aren't overplayed warhorses.

I will make it to another Stones concert at all costs. They're the best and my years are numbered.

Also, I'm really considering catching Bruce in New Zealand. I simply do not know when or if he'll play Miami in the future.

On a personal note, I'm going with spouse to Peru in December. My wife of Nine Years (I think). In any event, Peruvians are are loyal and love their country dearly. They love me! I must found out what is so special about Peru.

I will not be smuggling anything out of Peru except myself. I've been watching National Geographic TV too much.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2013 18:44

Chris Fountain
In my opinion, this song is ok but nothing special. Every tour they play this overrated song. I just don't understand why this is the case. I've only seen Rocks Off, for example, in only two shows (hit and miss).

How can "Miss You" be a staple whereas "Rocks Off" is omitted or played here or there? Or even "Sweet Virginia"?

If I'm listenig to mainstream radio on the way to work - It's always MY. I've heard this song so much to the point where it gets on my nerves.

I think you answered yourself in bold to your question... The song is so well-known and popular that they don't have 'afford' to not play it...

- Doxa

Date: October 12, 2013 18:55

Doxa
Chris Fountain

I think you answered yourself in bold to your question... The song is so well-known and popular that they don't have 'afford' to not play it...

- Doxa

Funny thing- When the song hit mainstream radio in the 70s, it was considered a "Disco" song. The Stones's fan camp was upset because the Stones "went Disco" Nothing could be further from the truth. It is only a slow pop hit.

Everyone has their own mindset. For example, Start Me Up is actually a low tempo song just as Satisfaction. Having said, it bothers me when the Stones play these songs out of original key and faster than should be played.

Date: October 12, 2013 19:00

24FPS

Grown men were belting out songs on the tube on the way home from HP. They were singing three songs in particular: IORR, SFTD & Miss You...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 12, 2013 19:05

Simple: Big mega-hit

Date: October 12, 2013 19:14

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Grown men were belting out songs on the tube on the way home from HP. They were singing three songs in particular: IORR, SFTD & Miss You...

Should I give up on "Luxury"? This is the most overlooked song by every Stones Fan. It has everything one desires! Great opening riff, lyrics, and is really the cornerstone of the album itself (IORR).

Date: October 12, 2013 19:43

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Should I give up on "Luxury"? This is the most overlooked song by every Stones Fan. It has everything one desires! Great opening riff, lyrics, and is really the cornerstone of the album itself (IORR).

Yes, yes you should. It would be magical to mix up these stale setlists with Back Street Girl, She Smiled Sweetly, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, or anything deep or rarely played at this point. They're already recycling their
'rarities' from the 90s and early 2000s stage shows, like Memory Motel. Unless you're not prepared to plunk down more than it's worth to hear something called The Rolling Stones play like a freakin' jukebox, then yes, you're going to be very, very disappointed. This is what they do now.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:01

I still like the studio version of "Miss You". Too bad it is one of the top crowd pleasers over other more deserving tunes. At current Stones concerts it amounts to filler for me. I would much rather hear tunes that have not been done to death. Looks like this is not going to happen

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:14

I was their second to last # 1 hit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:34

JC21769
I was their second to last # 1 hit.

What was their last number one hit? SMU was number 2, correct?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:51

I think SMU was #1 in England - We Americans tend to forget there are other countries out there.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 12, 2013 20:53

Miss You was considered to be a "tip of the hat" to the disco era back in '78 but the rest of the album was "supposed" to be punk sounding.

I would say Hot Stuff from Black and Blue is even more disco-sounding. Miss you has a bluesy feel to the original recording with Sugar Blue's harmonica. It sounded great live in '78 and in'81 but live renditions since then have been soulless and mundane.

I suspect Mick wrote this one and it was a hit at the time; poor reasons for playing it over and over again.

Miss You is a chance for old guys, like me, to hit the men's room during the show and empty the pre-show beer.

Date: October 12, 2013 21:03

I remember thinking how brilliant they were to integrate disco with their own brand of rock sound. It was so jarring to hear Mick rap over that fantastic bass and drums track. And on top of it all was this great blues harp. It was so refreshing compared to the 'Classic Rock' of the day. It was great to see the Stones pulled out their pop credentials to be relevant again.

It proved once again that the Stones were more than a clunky rock band, spewing out macho rock. And this song was popular then, and it's legendary now. Go take a pee break until Tumblin' Dice, the rest of us will have a blast.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:17

Of course, it was a huge hit. Everyone at the shows knows it and responds. Very few people there know Emotional Rescue.

Why Miss You? Because Mick is a pro and knows how to put together a set list. His band has been pretty successful. They give the people what they want, for the most part.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:29

it gives Lwren a chance to go to the Loo

jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:44

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

What has Luxury ever done for you? Nothing. I think you should give up on it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2013 21:51

Miss You is the dancing Angie of the 1970s...

Oh wait. They're both from the 1970s.

Well, it has gotten boring. Perhaps the STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JNUGLE tours should have been the last time it was played live (a massive three tours ha ha).

Also the last time Start Me Up was played worth a shit. I like how it sped up and was tight for those tours. It's been a bag of shit ever since.

The brilliance of Miss You on record is the lick, the groove and of course the lyrics and their delivery. However, live it's been a slow drag behind a 92 year old farmer putt-putting in his truck - nowhere near fast enough to kill you, way so slow it bores you.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home