Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Why Miss You in every setlist?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 12, 2013 22:25

I happen to like Miss You live: Ronnie did a great solo on the Urban Jungle tour, and it's embedded in my memory.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 12, 2013 23:18

Miss You is probably earier to play.

Miss You is NOT in every setlist
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 12, 2013 23:39

... Why Miss You in every setlist? ...

It isn't in every setlist.
My first Stonesshow was in 1990. Saw 54 shows. Miss You was played at 32 of these shows.
Brown Sugar and Start Me Up are the only songs that they played at all these shows.
If you wanna check my list, go ahead [www.stonesworld.nl]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 13, 2013 00:13

24FPS
I remember thinking how brilliant they were to integrate disco with their own brand of rock sound. It was so jarring to hear Mick rap over that fantastic bass and drums track. And on top of it all was this great blues harp. It was so refreshing compared to the 'Classic Rock' of the day. It was great to see the Stones pulled out their pop credentials to be relevant again.

It proved once again that the Stones were more than a clunky rock band, spewing out macho rock. And this song was popular then, and it's legendary now. Go take a pee break until Tumblin' Dice, the rest of us will have a blast.

It was not called classic rock back then. It was called rock n roll and it was what was on the radio. You are right, Miss You was a song apart from the usual. I didn't hear it right away. It didn't make an impression right away, but once it did!! I finally had a disco tune I liked!! And what other disco song in existance has blues harp on it? The Stones put their own stamp on disco.

Even better it really helped Mick getting around in Studio 54 with Liza Minelli and the like (hahaha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 00:14 by triceratops.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2013 00:16

best opportunity for the piss break ...

BE A MAN and go during Jumpin' Jack Flash ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2013 00:28

Chris Fountain
In my opinion, this song is ok but nothing special. Every tour they play this overrated song. I just don't understand why this is the case. I've only seen Rocks Off, for example, in only two shows (hit and miss).

How can "Miss You" be a staple whereas "Rocks Off" is omitted or played here or there? Or even "Sweet Virginia"?

If I'm listenig to mainstream radio on the way to work - It's always MY. I've heard this song so much to the point where it gets on my nerves.

Quite simple.

Its one of Mick's favourite songs

Most people dont know Rocks Off or Sweet Virginia

Miss You was a monster hit from theur biggest selling album.

Its also a great song - although the live versions from 1989 generally arent.

(its not an ever present in the sense that some songs like JJF or Brown sugar have more or less been since they were released. It was left out of the No Security tour completely and was a rarity on the Licks tour. ironically enough the versions on the Licks tour were easily the best ones since 1982)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 13, 2013 01:49

Yup, Mick is mighty proud of this broiling funk masterpiece. Some times sounds a bit too polished, but when the guitars are cooking on it, fantastic.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 13, 2013 04:22

Rockman

That sounds worse than when I missed Paul McCartney singing "Back in the USSR" because I was in a beer line.

EDIT: Don't ya think "Satisfaction" should be played in every concert? Methinks so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 04:30 by MILKYWAY.

Date: October 13, 2013 04:44

MILKYWAY
Rockman

That sounds worse than when I missed Paul McCartney singing "Back in the USSR" because I was in a beer line.

EDIT: Don't ya think "Satisfaction" should be played in every concert? Methinks so.

No. NO song should. They have enough classics that everyone knows to ensure that

a) they cant play every one of them in a single show
and
b) they can rotate them without leaving people disappointed

They pretty much avoided playing Satisfaction for most of the 70s. And on the No Security Tour also.

People still came back in their millions next time around and to the best of my knowledge no one is reported to have walked out in disgust.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 13, 2013 08:30

Miss You was funky when they first played it live in 1978. Check it out on Some Girls in Texas! But it became a full-blown Vegas number by 1994. Thankfully, they gave it a rest on the No Security tour in 1999. The scaled back little stage version that they played at some of the 2002-03 shows was an improvement over the 1989-97 versions. But it began to slide again in 2005 to the point where the recent ones were more like 1989-97.

They should not play Miss You and Emotional Rescue and/or Worried About You in the same set. Jagger should have the restraint to limit his terrible, lame falsetto to one song per show.

In the DC show in June, we got all three in one show. Unbearable! At least they did Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 13, 2013 08:45

I saw the Stones in Boston (2). ER and MY were both in the setlist. Since the setlist was longer this particular night it was unnoticable.

They played an extended version of All Down the Line where Mick went out on front part of stage.

Strange but it worked - Nothing like seeing the Stones fired up on a Friday Night.

ab-I think DC was the next show - not sure.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:26

It was a huge hit for them. Fond memories for me, as the "Some Girls" tour was my first. It's a great song too. "What wit you?"

Date: October 13, 2013 10:44

crholmstrom
It was a huge hit for them. Fond memories for me, as the "Some Girls" tour was my first. It's a great song too. "What wit you?"

No offense- Wouldn't you favor to hear Far Way Eyes, Shattered or even Beast of Burden or even Lies as opposed to MY from SG? At Boston they played "When the whip comes Down" along with MY. Nothing against MY, I simply think it's not a pure Stones song for them to play in concert regardless of mass appeal. It is too commercial and not one of their better songs.

Date: October 13, 2013 11:33

No offense taken. Sure I would rather hear those but "Miss You" was huge everywhere summer of 1978. I just get why they play it. Would much rather hear that than "Emotional Rescue" for instance. At this point, we're lucky to get anything I suppose. Personally, I'd like to hear way more of the mid period weird pop stuff like "She Smiled Sweetly", "Singer Not the Song", "I'm Free", etc. Don't think most of the fans would be into that. I have a boot of an early version of "Gift of Screws" by Lindsey Buckingham where he covers 3 or 4 of those type Stones songs. It's phenomenal. Sadly, they got cut when the record officially came out.

Date: October 13, 2013 13:41

crholmstrom
No offense taken. Sure I would rather hear those but "Miss You" was huge everywhere summer of 1978. I just get why they play it. Would much rather hear that than "Emotional Rescue" for instance. At this point, we're lucky to get anything I suppose. Personally, I'd like to hear way more of the mid period weird pop stuff like "She Smiled Sweetly", "Singer Not the Song", "I'm Free", etc. Don't think most of the fans would be into that. I have a boot of an early version of "Gift of Screws" by Lindsey Buckingham where he covers 3 or 4 of those type Stones songs. It's phenomenal. Sadly, they got cut when the record officially came out.

Don't forget the other classic "Blue turns to Greay!" Another Classic. It's ashame that IORRmembers do not appreciate "Flowers" or even "December's Children."

Mother's Little Helper transcends our generations- Sad they wouldn't play more of these songs. The old or new fans would favor these songs!

b

Date: October 13, 2013 13:45

crholmstrom
I like "Flowers" & "December's Children" as much as the Mick Taylor era. They were truly innovative at that point.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 13, 2013 14:01

This is a great version of the song, I do wish that Ronnie was playing more instead of hamming it up though. Miss You is a great party track for mine, especially live versions such as the one below.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 14:02 by erad.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 13, 2013 15:09

Gazza
No. NO song should. They have enough classics that everyone knows to ensure that

and

They pretty much avoided playing Satisfaction for most of the 70s. And on the No Security Tour also.

People still came back in their millions next time around and to the best of my knowledge no one is reported to have walked out in disgust.

Hey now. I never thought anyone ever left a Stones concert "in disgust" because a certain song was not played in a concert. You are right in that the Stones have enough classics so that they aren't required to play a specific song in every concert. Unlike, say, Sugarloaf who have to play "Green Eyed Lady" in each & every concert.

So, do you think the Stones need to play a song from the Brian Jones Era (pre-1969) in every show? Not being argumentative, just asking your opinion.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: October 13, 2013 15:15

I think it has a lot to do with the sing along part. Audiences like that and you don't even have to kow the words smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:53

...Miss You is number 3 on US I tunes....just sayin'....Beast of Burden #1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2013 17:03

Rip This

you mean for Rolling Stones songs obviously

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: October 13, 2013 17:08

I've heard Miss You live 27 times (out of 36 shows) and have only enjoyed it once -- September 20, 2002 on the B-Stage in Philadelphia. It's popular and gets the crowd going but it's just not my taste.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2013 23:03

treaclefingers
Rip This

you mean for Rolling Stones songs obviously

correct. A Rolling Stones search on iTunes brings BOB #1, Start Me Up #2, and MY #3...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 13, 2013 23:51

A lot of new, younger fans came on board the Rolling Stones train with Miss You. That's their starting point with the band. Whether they were too young for the Jones, then Taylor Stones, or that the Stones hadn't had a smash record in years, the group got a whole new generation of fans. That album was a huge party album the summer of '78. And Miss You is that album's star.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 14, 2013 08:03

Chris Fountain
I saw the Stones in Boston (2). ER and MY were both in the setlist. Since the setlist was longer this particular night it was unnoticable.

They played an extended version of All Down the Line where Mick went out on front part of stage.

Strange but it worked - Nothing like seeing the Stones fired up on a Friday Night.

ab-I think DC was the next show - not sure.

Nope. The two shows in Philly immediately preceded the DC show. I caught the second Philly show; it smoked, Miss You and Emotional Rescue notwithstanding.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 14, 2013 09:15

Gazza
MILKYWAY
Rockman

Yeah but they still played JJF as the anchor "all can sing along and cheer while Keith poses". JJF/Satisfaction, SMU/IORR, Angie/Ruby Tuesday etc. are pairs of songs that are similar to green/black olive topped Pizza you have at the open buffet at Pizza hut at that basement near Hyde Park corned before the show: you better have both, but if you have only one its good enough to call it "value for the money" and answer "yes, yes, no, yes" to the usual questions by friends whom are non stone fans as to what songs did they play.

If they only put one plain Pizza and one with anchovies...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 14, 2013 10:17

It's one of their best songs - studio verison. Live it sucks.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 14, 2013 11:09

Mick likes the way he sees the audience react to it and that seems to be the most important thing, to him.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 14, 2013 11:10

Mick Jagger that is.

Date: October 14, 2013 14:41

MILKYWAY
Gazza

and

Hey now. I never thought anyone ever left a Stones concert "in disgust" because a certain song was not played in a concert. You are right in that the Stones have enough classics so that they aren't required to play a specific song in every concert. Unlike, say, Sugarloaf who have to play "Green Eyed Lady" in each & every concert.

So, do you think the Stones need to play a song from the Brian Jones Era (pre-1969) in every show? Not being argumentative, just asking your opinion.

Need to? No. (I'm presuming you mean the non warhorses stuff) But I think a Stones show would look pretty lopsided content wise if it contained nothing at all from the era that they made their greatest cultural impact (and that era IS the 60's - not the Sticky Fingers/Exile era or anything beyond. The Stones will forever be most associated with the era that spawned The Beatles, Dylan and those type of acts than they will with the decade that followed it. Its also the era where they had their biggest hit records)

Personally I'd love to hear them play more 'deeper cuts' from that era ('You Cant Catch Me' being top of my personal wish list - to my knowledge the only one of their released Chuck Berry covers that theyve never played live. Its also their best one IM0). I guess they dont do it much at all anymore because they feel that the audience who were buying those records at the time by and large are not attending Stones shows now. Certainly not the audiences who are seeing them in anything bigger than a theatre. Chuck has tried a lot down the years to pitch several of these songs to Mick to be performed live but is on record as saying that he's not interested in anything from that era that isnt something that everyone will know.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home